• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpgmonkey

"You can now use all Crystariums!"

"Simply pay a a low, low fee of 120,000 CP just to be at a basic level with the extra ones!"

This game is hilarious. :p

And Pulse is okay. Right now I'm just running around and seeing what I can and can't fight effectively. Managed to take out a King Behemoth, those things are brutal.

Unfortunately, Pulse still has this strong vibe of loneliness and endless battles. :(

any tips on
barthandelus
in ch 11? I found a good way to get his health down to like 25% but his damage is just to much even with slow T.T

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So is the aussie accent a clever joke from the voice acting team in that they are from down under (Pulse)?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Clocian-IGN said:
any tips on
barthandelus
in ch 11? I found a good way to get his health down to like 25% but his damage is just to much even with slow T.T

Uh...

Have three characters blast to break. Once you do that, have Lightning attack, other two blast. Heal whenever health gets halved. Repeat.

ok, so i've upgraded lightnings weapon and now it has a * right besides its name.... i read somewhere in this thread that u can still upgrade it more, how do i do that?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Also I've notice people complaining about the difficulty in chapter 13. I'm not quite there yet, but could it be that you've rushed through the game? Skipped the treasures, not upgrading your accessories/weapons? And pretty much every chapter I have to revise the paradigm until it works for the current set of characters. The defaults stopped working well around chapter 4-5.

Oyashiro

Wow... just wow. And I thought the Chapter 9 boss was hard :| Chapter 10
Cid
is fucking annoying as hell. I was fighting him for literally 15-20 mins and he killed me off with his Shining Ray attack or whatever because my Medic wasn't fast enough. Any tips for this guy?

Volcynika

LiK said:
Lightning + Kagari avatar staring contest

Noctis5.jpg
stell.jpg

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Walmart.com sent me an email today saying my order wasn't actually canceled due to a system error and I'm basically getting two CE guides for $20 each despite the price shooting back to normal. To make up for the trouble, they also gave me a gift card. :D

Im 15 hrs in and digging it more and more, paradigm system is awesome when you start using it a bunch and depend on it, Im reading all the datalogs and getting into it, loving it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Volcynika said:

So sweet. :p

Anyway, 14 hours in. Battles are non-stop apparently. I guess this 'RPG' isn't for everyone. I like the system but I can understand why some people don't like it.

Volcynika

As for my progress, just made it to chapter 9 at a little over 16 hours. Gonna start upgrading weapons, since I haven't touched that part of the game at all! D:

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Scythesurge said:
I love looking around in in
Gary Whittawood
, such a beautiful location zomgz.

Yeah. The area gets tedious though.

whatdidyousay said:
Any tips? I'm stuck fighting Odin in Chapter 4. Getting killed over and over (and over) again.

Lightning heal, Hope use magic.

Middle of chapter 10. Just beat
Cid. Wasn't as tough a fight as I was expecting but still pretty fun. Badass transformation.

Lightning/Snow/Vanille seems to be a solid team for the area. I really wish there was more incentive to have someone other than Lightning as the leader. Sometimes I want to use Shiva but don't think it's worth having Snow as the leader for it. Seriously, being able to switch leaders in battle with one of the shoulder buttons would've been ideal.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Scythesurge said:
I love looking around in in
Gary Whittawood
, such a beautiful location zomgz.

It looked nice sure but the dungeon was looooooooong. I ended up hating it. :/

Rpgmonkey

Oyashiro said:
Wow... just wow. And I thought the Chapter 9 boss was hard :| Chapter 10
Cid
is fucking annoying as hell. I was fighting him for literally 15-20 mins and he killed me off with his Shining Ray attack or whatever because my Medic wasn't fast enough. Any tips for this guy?

What I did:

Party:
Lightning/Hope/Sazh

Paradigms:
COM/SYN/SYN - Started with this
COM/MED/SYN
COM/RAV/RAV
COM/SYN/RAV
COM/MED/RAV

Strategy:
-Start off with Lightning fighting to work on the Stagger Gauge, as Hope and Sazh apply a bunch of buffs. Hope only needs to put Protect on everyone really, so when he was done I switched to the COM/RAV/SYN (or COM/MED/SYN if needed) setup.
-Sazh might have several buffs. Haste is the most important, but I waited until he put Faith and Bravery on too. Switched to a COM/RAV/RAV setup after that.
-He'll transform at about 75%, and use his big attack. Switched to a COM/MED/RAV or MED/MED/COM setup for that, either of which I switched to whenever HP became an issue. He'll also use some debuffs, so I went back to the SYN setups at some point to put the stuff back on.
-When he guards he does it for a pretty long time, so I used that opportunity to heal and reapply any stat boosts if I felt I needed to do either, using the COM/RAV/RAV setup to build up the gauge when I was done healing/buffing.
-Eventually I got him to stagger, at which point, with the COM/RAV/RAV setup, I went nuts. Lightning makes it decrease slowly while the other two build up the multiplier, he never got a chance to do anything else to me after this happened.

Took about 2-3 minutes, got five stars.

Regardless of if you follow this, having a number of Synergist and Medic setups are important for this fight because of the status effects he throws on later in the fight, and Haste and Protect are really useful here.

cosmicblizzard said:
Middle of chapter 10. Just beat
Cid. Wasn't as tough a fight as I was expecting but still pretty fun. Badass transformation.

Lightning/Snow/Vanille seems to be a solid team for the area. I really wish there was more incentive to have someone other than Lightning as the leader. Sometimes I want to use Shiva but don't think it's worth having Snow as the leader for it. Seriously, being able to switch leaders in battle with one of the shoulder buttons would've been ideal.
I like this idea. Makes too much sense for S E perhaps!

whatdidyousay said:
Any tips? I'm stuck fighting Odin in Chapter 4. Getting killed over and over (and over) again.

Use double medic while he's on the offensive (this charges the gauge). Once he goes into that stance thing switch to double ravager or commando/ravager and wail on him (also charges gauge).

Dresden

Buying the 360 version for forty bucks isn't working out like I thought it would. Just got to
Bodhum, for Snow's flashback with Sera
and it's stuttering like crazy and the textures look like something out of Phantasy Star.

And then, a minute later, the graphics suddenly improve. What the hell.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dresden said:
Buying the 360 version for forty bucks isn't working out like I thought it would. Just got to
and it's stuttering like crazy and the textures look like something out of Phantasy Star.

:(

FrankT

Dresden said:

And then, a minute later, the graphics suddenly improve. What the hell.

Sounds like your 360 is on the fritz. I just did that part and none of that to be found.

gkrykewy said:
Use both the defensive and offensive "sols" before the battle.

Used just one and it worked out well enough.

Dresden

Jtyettis said:
Sounds like your 360 is on the fritz. I just did that part and none of that to be found.
That might be it. I hope it doesn't die on me right now.

Triggered the cutscene and everything's fine. Weird.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay so I had no clue there was a death timer on bosses too. That's unfortunately a score lower.

Chapter 11 boss was easy as shit if they gave me infinite time. Sigh. Wasted 20 minutes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Protip: Save those smokes, or whatever the fuck they're called in the English version. You'll need them later.

Yoshichan said:
Okay so I had no clue there was a death timer on bosses too. That's unfortunately a score lower.

Chapter 11 boss was easy as shit if they gave me infinite time. Sigh. Wasted 20 minutes.

You took waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long on that one D: Chapter 11 boss is easy. Remember: Light/Hope/Vanille!

Rpgmonkey

cosmicblizzard said:
Sometimes I want to use Shiva but don't think it's worth having Snow as the leader for it. Seriously, being able to switch leaders in battle with one of the shoulder buttons would've been ideal.

That's one reason among a few as to why I don't even bother with the Summons in this game unless I'm bored. :/

Dresden

So Snow's hands are on Sera's shoulders and they're about the size of her face. It's kind of creepy.

And now
I'm playing as Hope? That blows.

Zzoram

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
It's a good thing these beams of light are telling me which direction to go. I would be totally lost otherwise.

Ya it seems like the developers were laughing at our expense when they called Chapter 5 a maze.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dresden said:
So Snow's hands are on Sera's shoulders and they're about the size of her face. It's kind of creepy.

And now
I'm playing as Hope? That blows.

WELCOME TO THE MACHINE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom