• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I never thought the menu was ugly.. I thought it was high tech but classy. Oh well that's a really subjective point. :lol

Not ugly. Maybe I'm crazy but the abrupt loss of color messes with me. I don't like it :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Cloudy said:
Not ugly. Maybe I'm crazy but the abrupt loss of color messes with me. I don't like it :lol
FFX and X-2 haz spoiled u. :lol

Those games are effin fruit salads of color.

I'm confused about how certain places like Bodhum for example, are located within Cacoon, yet has a beach and doesn't resemble a city in the sky.

Cloudy

Banned
Solideliquid said:
I'm confused about how certain places like Bodhum for example, are located within Cacoon, yet has a beach and doesn't resemble a city in the sky.

Think of it like a colony in Gundam...

MrDenny said:
Quick question, I'm on chapter 9 right now.
Should I be upgrading my weapons?
Materials become plentiful later on right?

I have yet and I am on 10 ..........you get better items later on so no.....once a item is udes it is hard to get back especially rare items.

The best...rare Components are
1) Ultracompact reactor (very important)
2) Supercharger
3) Particle Accelerator
4) Turboprop
5) SUPERCONDUCTOR
6) perfect conductor
7) Bomb Core
8) Tesla Turbine

Cloudy

Banned
BocoDragon said:
FFX and X-2 haz spoiled u. :lol

Those games are effin fruit salads of color.

FFX had a pefect menu system. Hell, it was a perfect game except for shitty blitzball. I don't know what X-2 is and I'll pretend you didn't mention that :p

cubanb

Banned
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Did you also pose this question in the Dragon Age thread? Or do you really just want us to say FFXIII and call it a day?
Was hoping you guys might be impartial . Didn't do it right away cause I'm on iPhone and search is down, but I just posted it there too.

LiK

Cloudy said:
FFX had a pefect menu system. Hell, it was a perfect game except for shitty blitzball. I don't know what X-2 is and I'll pretend you didn't mention that :p

c'mon, leave my Blitzball outta this menu debate :(

Le-mo

I just lost twice to the boss that resembles a
venasaurs
with Lightning and and Hope. Anybody have any hint?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
cubanb said:
Was hoping you guys might be impartial . Didn't do it right away cause I'm on iPhone and search is down, but I just posted it there too.

Dragon Age is more like KOTOR. FFXIII's story is a bit average, nothing special.

cubanb said:
Tomorrow I am going to buy either Dragon age or final fantasy XIII.

Which one should I go for? Dragon is age only $5 cheaper used.

I need a good story or I lose interest. I mostly play sports games nowadays. I haven't really finished a game all the way since Knights of the Old Republic. I LOVED THAT GAME. I used to play some of the final fantasy games on the snes and liked them, but I can't remember if I enjoyed the story. I recently tried fallout 3 and the world felt a little too open to where I couldn't decide what to do next. I prefer combat systems that don't involve too much manual targeting like in fallout 3. Which is why I used to enjoy final fantasy's turn based and KOTORS round based combat.

If story is a major factor, it all depends on your tastes. If you liked the story in FFX or some of the earlier ones, I say go for FFXIII.

Of course I'm not a fan of Dragon Age so I'm a bit biased. If you haven't already, you can ask in that thread too.

Edit: And I see you have.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LiK said:
this coming from Kagari, there you have it.

The story is my biggest disappointment with the game. So many ideas that were wasted or just too great for what was actually shown to the player.

Le-mo said:
venasaurs

Name of the actual boss.....plz.....alot of creatures look like that for example
ochu

Kagari said:
The story is my biggest disappointment with the game. So many ideas that were wasted or just too great for what was actually shown to the player.

I'm actually more impressed with the story than I was expecting to be. I really wasn't expecting to like a non-Nojima written FF story this much.

LiK

Kagari said:

yea, the story is alright from what i've seen so far. i think they spent more time trying to build the world than working on the main story.

i do enjoy the character moments just like with FFX. seems like the devs kept that aspect of their storytelling intact.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Le-mo said:
venasaurs

Have you used Libra on it? It changed elements at times so revealing everything is really helpful so the AI auto picks the best spells. IIRC I had launch for lightning which is AMAZING, hopefully you have it. Just focus on staggering then launch it constantly to keep whittling it down. But don't go so apeshit you die, if the meter is high enough you can swap over with a medic and heal up a bit and still manage to keep the chain.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LiK said:
yea, the story is alright from what i've seen so far. i think they spent more time trying to build the world than working on the main story.

i do enjoy the character moments just like with FFX. seems like the devs kept that aspect of their storytelling intact.

As evidenced by things like the Autoclip (Datalog in English?) and the Episode Zero novel...

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
cubanb said:
Tomorrow I am going to buy either Dragon age or final fantasy XIII.

Which one should I go for? Dragon is age only $5 cheaper used.
If you haven't, try FF12 ... its story isn't terrible, though it's not really the focus of that game, imo, the battle system is pretty good if you liked KOTOR.

Dragon Age does have a plot, but it's hard to come by here and there. I've played 35 hrs so far, and haven't really encountered too much of it yet since I've been doing side-quests and leveling up.

Cloudy said:
Fukk, raped again. I give up for now. Going to play some baseball :lol
what boss?

--
I didn't have much trouble so far, I just finished Ch 8. Was messing up w/
Brynhildr
since I wasn't using the right paradigms, my time would run out.

Zoe

shwimpy said:
For those who are on Chapter 11 or above, how many missions, if any, did you guys do before moving on to the main plot?

Up through 28, skipping 14~17 (unintentionally). That's as far as you go without having to backtrack.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Variety is the spice of life!

"One pattern" ja dame!!

(sorry, dunno what she says in English)

Einbroch said:
So, what's everyone's "final" team?

Hope/Lightning/Fang

I like to micromanage the healing, and Hope is by far a better healer than Lightning. I also really like his special attack.

Dead said:
Whats the verdict on upgrading the other 3 Crystarium levels when you get em?

DON'T

Not only is it a waste of your CP, it will cause the game to fill out your team set-up page with low-level roles.

teh_pwn said:
Also I've notice people complaining about the difficulty in chapter 13. I'm not quite there yet, but could it be that you've rushed through the game? Skipped the treasures, not upgrading your accessories/weapons? And pretty much every chapter I have to revise the paradigm until it works for the current set of characters. The defaults stopped working well around chapter 4-5.

I wouldn't say I rushed through the game (final boss was a breeze). The enemies are just more difficult than they should be considering what you get out of them.

LiK said:
i didnt check the datalog at all until now. someone asked me what chapter i was on and i didn't even know how to find out until he told me it's from the datalogs :lol

Dunno about the 360 version, but it says it right on the PS3 load file.

LiK

Kagari said:
As evidenced by things like the Autoclip (Datalog in English?) and the Episode Zero novel...

yea, maybe S-E liked what Mass Effect did with their codex and novels :p

Zoe said:
Dunno about the 360 version, but it says it right on the PS3 load file.

oh, never really paid attention to the save files. i'm playing PS3 as well

Teknoman

I dunno how people missed how important the Datalog is. The game tells you this like within the first few minutes. Datalog is your friend, read it every time there is an update and as always libra everything.

Einbroch

Banned
Cid
is fucking impossible. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't 15 minute fights before I died.

Seriously, this is dumb. Argh.

Teknoman said:
I dunno how people missed how important the Datalog is. The game tells you this like within the first few minutes. Datalog is your friend, read it every time there is an update and as always libra everything.
Isn't the datalog just an archive of tutorials and things already been explained before?

Libra everything? Gotcha.

Zoe

Dark Octave said:
Isn't the datalog just an archive of tutorials and things already been explained before?

No. Later on in the game you can unlock random information about the world by completing various tasks.

Papercuts

Teknoman said:

Something akin to the datalog is in pretty much every RPG. Most people probably think it just recaps events, even though it actually tells you more than the actual cutscenes will.

Le-mo

Papercuts said:
Have you used Libra on it? It changed elements at times so revealing everything is really helpful so the AI auto picks the best spells. IIRC I had launch for lightning which is AMAZING, hopefully you have it. Just focus on staggering then launch it constantly to keep whittling it down. But don't go so apeshit you die, if the meter is high enough you can swap over with a medic and heal up a bit and still manage to keep the chain.
I was able to stagger him the second time I fought him and I almost managed to kill him, but he two hit KO'ed me in one attack. And yah, I have the launch attack for Lightning. I guess there is really no strategy here. I'll try again tomorrow.

Cloudy

Banned
Vanille said:
:lol

Have you maxed out Snow's Crystarium? You should have more than enough CP.

I did but I had no potions and no healing spells. I am booting it up again and I'll have a chance to do the Cystarium. Do Sentinel or Ravager have any healing abilities?

what boss?

Orion. Chap. 7

ps: MLB10 is nowhere as good as 2K10 based on the demo :p

ps2: Why does FF13 have no XMB preview? Even the demos have previews. This is really lazy, SE

Zoe

Forgot this one. Chapter 11 spoilers:

Relaxed Muscle said:
They're family if we go by their names, dosn't mean there's incest in the middle,lolicon, shotacon and lesbian incest, best FF evar.

Oerba isn't their last name, it's the name of their village.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Teknoman said:
Because we want to play the game, not be bothered with reading.

Cloudy said:
Orion
. Chap. 7
Just press X (auto) a ton of times and
Shiva
will insta-kill him. Really.

Teknoman

Papercuts said:
Something akin to the datalog is in pretty much every RPG. Most people probably think it just recaps events, even though it actually tells you more than the actual cutscenes will.

LiK said:
that and everything else like journals, terms etc. it keeps growing.

Well yeah, these days logs always do that. Mass Effect is another good example (sure someone already mentioned this) of this.

Papercuts

Teknoman said:
Well yeah, these days logs always do that. Mass Effect is another good example (sure someone already mentioned this) of this.

ME adds a lot of backstory, but FF13 atleast early on talked more about l'Cie, which seems to have confused a lot of people because it's pretty confusing early on just based off the cutscenes.

LiK

Teknoman said:

i just mentioned it a few posts ago ;)

who knew S-E would go the BioWare route?

You know what this game needs more of; human(oid) boss fights. I know monster bosses outnumber human bosses in pretty much any given JRPG but still. There's just something about fighting your own kind and possibly killing him/her over some monster that you'll never hear about again.

FrankT

I don't know I'd say I'm fairly pulled into the story so far which is surprising based on early impressions I had read. So far from what I've played I would say the game is in the 9ish range in total package which is pretty good. Keeping this pace of things I don't think this will hit the love spot for many of the WRPGs I've played this gen, but it will be up there I imagine and most certainly the best JRPG this gen I've played save maybe LO.

LiK

cosmicblizzard said:
You know what this game needs more of; human(oid) boss fights. I know monster bosses outnumber human bosses in pretty much any given JRPG but still. There's just something about fighting your own kind and possibly killing him/her over some monster that you'll never hear about again.

i miss the old monsters actually. haven't encountered a lot of the classic dudes. only the Behemoth and Bombs stand out.

Dresden

Papercuts said:
ME adds a lot of backstory, but FF13 atleast early on talked more about l'Cie, which seems to have confused a lot of people because it's pretty confusing early on just based off the cutscenes.
Mass Effect just did a better job of introducing important concept through dialogue. The Codex was mainly for all the side stuff like the universal translator or the exact timeline of human expansion.

I still like XIII's storytelling, though. They try to do some interesting things with the story, like playing around with time, especially with the flashbacks. I'm not far enough in the game to decide if they succeeded, but it's been an interesting ride.

I just wish they put some bloody pseudo-towns in to shut up all the naysayers. It just needed to be a shop and three npc's, like what everyone seems to want.

Cloudy

Banned
OMG, I'm a dope. I forgot I used up all my potions in the last Vanille/Sazh (ugh) boss. Since I never quit and kept retrying, I thought maybe Snow just didn't have access to the potions :lol

Zoe

LiK said:
i miss the old monsters actually. haven't encountered a lot of the classic dudes. only the Behemoth and Bombs stand out.

You're forgetting about the Flan variety of monsters!

Le-mo said:
Meaning via the data log? Ugh....

Actually, I'm not sure, never bothered to read that part. Serah's chapter in the prologue went over it in detail.

LiK

Papercuts said:

AND let's not forget the ME/ME2 main codex entries were narrated to us! we didnt actually have to read them :p

Zoe said:
You're forgetting about the Flan variety of monsters!

ugh, Flan, don't miss that guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom