• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Emenis said:
Posted this earlier. Helped me level rather quickly and get tons of money so I could level all my weapons and accessories.

Thanks, that'll be stage 2 of my grinding. My characters were wicked weak. The first battle in the expanse was with a Behemoth and I got raped twice before I decide to scavenge around for weaker enemies.

Zzoram said:
You can wait. It doesn't make much of a difference at that point. When you do upgrade, use the low XP items first.
Which Chapter? Just want to know
Odin
gave me so much trouble....mostly due to me and the paradigms though

Emenis said:
Posted this earlier. Helped me level rather quickly and get tons of money so I could level all my weapons and accessories.

Can you explain in detail how to deal with Adamantoise? When you summon an Eidolon will it reallt stagger him automatically? I have 6-7k HP so one hit and I'm dead. How does it work?

End of chapter 10 was pretty insane. All the chapter ends since 7 have been friggin amazing.

Also, I don't care how cliche these optimistic anime speeches are; they always get me pumped.

Zoe

Castor Krieg said:
Can you explain in detail how to deal with Adamantoise? When you summon an Eidolon will it reallt stagger him automatically? I have 6-7k HP so one hit and I'm dead. How does it work?

Really? You finished the game with that little HP?

(I did more than 2/3 of the missions though)

Zoe said:
Really? You finished the game with that little HP?

(I did more than 2/3 of the missions though)

I have 39% of missions done right now. Told you I'm pro :lol Joking aside, I didn't have much problem, maybe my weapons were good enough? Everyone had maxed Tier 2.

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
End of chapter 10 was pretty insane. All the chapter ends since 7 have been friggin amazing.

Also, I don't care how cliche these optimistic anime speeches are; they always get me pumped.
I'm with you. People might consider these speeches cheesy but I love them.

Zoe

Castor Krieg said:
I have 39% of missions done right now. Told you I'm pro :lol Joking aside, I didn't have much problem, maybe my weapons were good enough? Everyone had maxed Tier 2.

Well I didn't try it until I hit a brick wall with the missions, so it probably would have been possible for me :p

Pein

Banned
I hate the chapter 12 boss. I tried a bunch of times to kill the bastard and he starts out really easy but then at the half way point he almost one shots me. I can't recover enough before he does it again and I'm dead.

j-wood

How does the power chain ability for commandos work? I can't really tell what it does.

Also, do the chapters get longer? I've only got about 6 hours in and I'm on chapter 4 already.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
This section in Chapter 7 is really making me hate motorcycles so much. So much hate for those things.

Yeah everyone thinks they are cheap, try and skip them whenever you can and use sentinel when you have no choice.

j-wood said:
How does the power chain ability for commandos work? I can't really tell what it does.

Also, do the chapters get longer? I've only got about 6 hours in and I'm on chapter 4 already.

Power chain makes it so the chain bar on the creature doesn't decrease so quickly, its very important to stagger creatures easier.

After chapter 6 they do get longer.

painey

Im in Chapter 11 with all my characters now level 4 in their roles.. so level 5 doesnt unlock until post-game, or is that the level on? Basically now im getting all this CP and im wondering if I should store it for post-game upgrading or start spending it on the level 0 classes to make the end game easier..?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Dresden said:
I'm with you. People might consider these speeches cheesy but I love them.
The dialog is horrible and needs to die in a fire along with the rest of most jrpg conventions.

I cant stop cringing at the writing playing this game. It is so bad

Castor Krieg said:

Quoting myself, nevermind now. It works. :lol I love tricks like this. This will make a grind to Platinum a bit more bearable.

AcciDante

Yet another boss is destroying me :( At the end of Chapter 11,
I don't remember his name, but he has over 3 million hp! I've gotten him down half way using light/fang/sazh, but I can't I can't heal fast enough!

Teknoman

Wow Chapter 5
Aster Protoflorian
boss fight was fun/crazy. Also made me see how useful summons are, while not being overpowered.

Can you use any party member's summon, or do they have to be the leader?

Teknoman said:
Wow Chapter 5
Aster Protoflorian
boss fight was fun/crazy. Also made me see how useful summons are, while not being overpowered.

Can you use any party member's summon, or do they have to be the leader?

Have to be the leader I beleive.

Proc

This game is pretty addicting

Its just the right amount of challenge to make the combat feel rewarding

I think I'm on chapter 4.

I was contemplating trading it in for god of war 3, but I think I'm going to hang on to it.

The story isn't really grabbing me but the gameplay and presentation are.

I probably won't finish it any time soon, but I'll slowly pick away at it.

Oyashiro

I finally reached Chapter 11 about an hour ago and I just got
Hope's eidolon
. Can't wait to explore GP! :D

Btw, is it alright to start grinding GP at this point? Or should I wait until later on? I know of that one spot where there's two monsters fighting each other, but I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to take them on.

AcciDante

Dante369 said:
Yet another boss is destroying me :( At the end of Chapter 11,
I don't remember his name, but he has over 3 million hp! I've gotten him down half way using light/fang/sazh, but I can't I can't heal fast enough!

Any tips?

Zoe

Oyashiro said:
Btw, is it alright to start grinding GP at this point? Or should I wait until later on? I know of that one spot where there's two monsters fighting each other, but I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to take them on.

As long as you can get a preemptive strike on fighting monsters, they'll usually do most of the job for you.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think what makes jRPG stories so good is that they aren't afraid to get melodramatic, sappy, even naively optimistic.

They are DRAMAS, and like US soap operas or Korean dramas, part of what makes them so good to the narrow fanbase will happen to turn off people who aren't of that mindset.

It's not "bad writing".. Well, that's subjective. I wouldn't really fault someone for thinking that.. It certainly isn't realistic. But on the other side of the coin, a lot of what people call "bad" is actually the sinfully sweet appeal of the whole thing, and they're actually going after this style on purpose. I like idealistic, pretty heroes who make grandiose speeches, cutesy girls oblivious to the epic plot unfolding around them, and one dimensional villains using ancient powers to take over the world. Is it realistic? No, but it does say FANTASY in the title.

.. And of course jRPGs needn't adhere to this style forever. But when they do, while some may cringe, rest assured that someone out there probably finds these stories delicious (me!)

Thanks for all the Odin tips, I managed to get through it after a couple more tries.

I'm not a FF fan and I've really only played several hours of FF7, but I'm having fun with this so far. The gameplay and presentation are great so far, although I'm not a big fan of the story so far.

threenote

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
The dialog is horrible and needs to die in a fire along with the rest of most jrpg conventions.

I cant stop cringing at the writing playing this game. It is so bad
Yeah it is pretty awful--and I'm about 3 hours in.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Castor Krieg said:
Quoting myself, nevermind now. It works. :lol I love tricks like this. This will make a grind to Platinum a bit more bearable.

Ah, sorry was out for a bit. You got it working?

He will just fall after the summon and you can just spam death. He usually doesn't die for me until the Eidolon has left and my team has staggered him though. It takes about a minute to a minute and a half on average but it doesn't always work but it works enough times to make quick money. At least it work's well enough for me! :lol

diss

Banned
Spoilers regarding chapter 8:
SHOOT HER SASZ. SHOOT HER YOU FUCKEN PUSSY. FUCKEN SHOOT HER. SHOOOT HERR~!#!OP$J!Po4j53o;4ktglsergdalkgasdlfmndakg

EDIT:
Oh cool, an eidolon. KILL THEM BOTH EIDOLON! KILL THEM BOTH!

burgerdog

Spoilers regarding chapter 9.
Grrr, so I thought I would have my entire party after beating ch8 and I was wrong. Can someone tell me how much longer I have to go before I get the entire cast and am able to select who I want in my party?

Peff

burgerdog said:
Spoilers regarding chapter 9.
Grrr, so I thought I would have my entire party after beating ch8 and I was wrong. Can someone tell me how much longer I have to go before I get the entire cast and am able to select who I want in my party?

After the second time you control Sazh and Vanille and face a double boss with the others

Xevren

Emenis said:
Ah, sorry was out for a bit. You got it working?

He will just fall after the summon and you can just spam death. He usually doesn't die for me until the Eidolon has left and my team has staggered him though. It takes about a minute to a minute and a half on average but it doesn't always work but it works enough times to make quick money. At least it work's well enough for me! :lol

It's weird for me, I've only gotten one ingot and 5 trap's for upgrading so far. Not that I'm complaining.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Xevren said:
It's weird for me, I've only gotten one ingot and 5 trap's for upgrading so far. Not that I'm complaining.

Damn! 5 Traps? I've done it tons of times and only got ONE trap. :lol

Willectro

Banned
I only want to play as Lightning. Snow is bearable, but the other characters are not only weak, but they are annoying. Hate playing as Sazh.

BocoDragon said:
I think what makes jRPG stories so good is that they aren't afraid to get melodramatic, sappy, even naively optimistic.

They are DRAMAS, and like US soap operas or Korean dramas, part of what makes them so good to the narrow fanbase will happen to turn off people who aren't of that mindset.

It's not "bad writing".. Well, that's subjective. I wouldn't really fault someone for thinking that.. It certainly isn't realistic. But on the other side of the coin, a lot of what people call "bad" is actually the sinfully sweet appeal of the whole thing, and they're actually going after this style on purpose. I like idealistic, pretty heroes who make grandiose speeches, cutesy girls oblivious to the epic plot unfolding around them, and one dimensional villains using ancient powers to take over the world. Is it realistic? No, but it does say FANTASY in the title.

.. And of course jRPGs needn't adhere to this style forever. But when they do, while some may cringe, rest assured that someone out there probably finds these stories delicious (me!)

THIS is what I've been trying to say since I joined this damn place. Thank you so much BocoDragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom