• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peff

firehawk12 said:
About juggling - is it really possible to infinitely juggle someone even after they go out of stagger?

If you can keep up your timing, yes. The damage is normal, though, and as soon as the enemy touches the floor it can't go back up, so the only advantage is the inability to do anything.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
this game pisses me off on so many levels, its sooo damn linear.
Like what the hell man :/

like the only saving grace is the battle system which I still would have loved to go back to turn base (manual control each toon)

YYZ

Peff said:
If you can keep up your timing, yes. The damage is normal, though, and as soon as the enemy touches the floor it can't go back up, so the only advantage is the inability to do anything.
That's a pretty huge advantage for you. It's the most important part of staggering an enemy, most of the time.

I can't believe so many people are complaining about the linerarity :lol. WRPGs have def spoiled you guys. The story/graphics/gameplay in FF13 is amazing, what more could you want.....wait, a open world so the game pacing and story can suffer? Don't bring up past gen titles because they were......last generations. The only rpg that really succeeds in story and open world is mass effect and that's not entirely a rpg so ya....

Teknoman

Mass Effect really isnt open world is it? And FF XIII really follows the same path as all past FF games minus a world map. You're led destination to destination and then close to the middle/end you're able to go around doing sidequests to get stronger, then destroy the final boss.

Dresden

Clocian-IGN said:
I can't believe so many people are complaining about the linerarity :lol. WRPGs have def spoiled you guys. The story/graphics/gameplay in FF13 is amazing, what more could you want.....wait, a open world so the game pacing and story can suffer? Don't bring up past gen titles because they were......last generations. The only rpg that really succeeds in story and open world is mass effect and that's not entirely a rpg so ya....
Sadly, you're wrong because Mass Effect isn't open-ended, and if it was, then Bioware's previous games have done a much better job with the story.

The difference between Final Fantasy XIII and Mass Effect:

One game lets you decide in which order to do each of the extremely linear areas, while the other requires you to do the linear areas in a specific order.

abombb

Banned
I'm in the middle of Chapter 6 right and
was told about the beasts that are difficult, but can be easily ran from. I'm finding them pretty tedious to fight, and was wondering if fighting these makes the game relatively easier in the long run or not.

Dresden said:
Sadly, you're wrong because Mass Effect isn't open-ended, and if it was, then Bioware's previous games have done a much better job with the story.

well then no game this gen has been successful as an open world rpg....so why exactly are people complaining lol :lol?

Dead

well not really...yet
abombb said:
I'm in the middle of Chapter 6 right and
was told about the beasts that are difficult, but can be easily ran from. I'm finding them pretty tedious to fight, and was wondering if fighting these makes the game relatively easier in the long run or not.
If you can pre-emptively attack them, they are very easy

Id recommend just doing the ones in front of Item sphered and just skipping the rest. They dont exactly give huge amounts of xp

edgefusion

This game has the most badass, well choreographed cutscenes I've ever seen. Just got to (chapter 11/12 spoilers)
Eden and had the cutscene with all the Eidolons, WOW!

ezekial45

Banned
quick question; It looks like i'm at the end of chapter 9.
I already got all the members together, and i've reached the end of the descending staircase area. I'm at the save point now, but i'm wondering if i'm gonna miss something useful if i just proceed. I didn't really bother to go through the other side platforms of this room.

Should i go and get the other item containers? I'm kinda dreading fighting the mobs guarding them. Also, how is the next boss?

ronito

another stupid question. I only need to do libra the first time I run across an enemy right? Not everytime I encounter the same kind of enemy? Sometimes I notice my cpu mates doing dumb stuff.

Kyoufu

ronito said:
another stupid question. I only need to do libra the first time I run across an enemy right? Not everytime I encounter the same kind of enemy? Sometimes I notice my cpu mates doing dumb stuff.

Yup just once.

ezekial45 said:
quick question; It looks like i'm at the end of chapter 9.
I already got all the members together, and i've reached the end of the descending staircase area. I'm at the save point now, but i'm wondering if i'm gonna miss something useful if i just proceed. I didn't really bother to go through the other side platforms of this room.

Should i go and get the other item containers? I'm kinda dreading fighting the mobs guarding them. Also, how is the next boss?

meh, skip the items and go to the boss. he's pretty tough at first but once you mess around with shifts during certain attacks you'll be ok. took me several tries lol

Rpgmonkey

The character moments in Chapter 11 have kicked the corniness up to the next level. D:

ezekial45 said:

For the stuff around the treasure, just keep a medic on hand and it shouldn't be that bad. You can never have enough junk, so I'd do it. :p

And keep buffs on and keep your health up and the boss is easy.

Chiggs

Gold Member
This game is just not captivating me the same way that Final Fantasy XII did. It's just so streamlined and the story is a mixed bag. :(

scotcheggz

OK so whats up with
Cid Raines
(Chapter 10 spoiler) boss fight then? I can rinse him down to about 15-20% in a matter of minutes but then after that, his HP just doesn't drop, even if he is staggered, then after he gets bored of that for 10 minutes or so, turns on lightning, even with a sentinal out that has been previously holding hate and just butchers her relentlessly until game over.

So am I doing something wrong here? Whats the trick to finish him off, becuase after three attempts I'm just confused...

jiien

Castor Krieg said:
I'm running with Lightning for the muscle, Vanille for cheap wins with Death and great Saboteur spells, and Hope for Synergist and Ravager. This way I can have 3xMedic :lol

Man, I would use Hope but his lack of health drives me nuts. I'm afraid he'll get slaughtered immediately against certain monsters in Chapter 11. I usually have Fang go Sentinel just so I can survive. Maybe I'll try him out again...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Got angry in chapter 13, decided to do what I always do when I get stuck this way.

Farmed 1.5 million CP and spent it all.

Went back.

How could I ever die here :/?

ElFly

Uh, got to Gran Pulse, and I think the game suddenly got worse.

It lost all the sense of urgency the plot had achieved, and the perfect difficulty balance of earlier levels is now a joke; I have to guess whether I am able to kill enemies on the plain. Obviously the giant monsters are too much for me, but I feel I've killed so many behemoths that I should be able to fight a wild one.

Also, jesus, this game got influenced by Monster Hunter something fierce.

Alex

KuwabaraTheMan said:
The difference between Final Fantasy XIII and Mass Effect:

One game lets you decide in which order to do each of the extremely linear areas, while the other requires you to do the linear areas in a specific order.

Mass Effect 2 has towns! Couple really good ones too! And difficulty toggles! That's what I really want in XIII. Game focused on combat should really have a good ol fashioned "Fuck you!" mode.

But I don't think comparing to Mass Effect is the way to go. People just want some down time, some sight seeing, some exploring, side systems just more variety. Even in the linear titles of yore, there were plenty of bits of that.

I think it's cool for a one off title, especially when it makes sense given the nature of it, but I dont think this should become anything resembling a norm.

Asking for some freedom, some exploration, few side elements to unwind with, not really asking a lot. There's a pretty huge difference between converting to open world and just following up more RPGish fare. Which the series has done 12 times before 13.

You got Pulse, which is cool, but still just some leg room to exercise what the title was already doing well.

I dont think any of this needs to be worried about though. I think it was just a one off title that should be enjoyed for what it is due to a bunch of tech problems and fuck ups. At the rate people are complaining about towns XIII-2 will be a Sim City clone.

I think it gets way better on Pulse. Actual difficulty and some leg room after so much action game-esque rollercoaster.

Dont see what the hell the game has to do with Monster Hunter at all though, because it took the NM hunting XI and XII had?

Kyoufu

Yoshichan said:
Got angry in chapter 13, decided to do what I always do when I get stuck this way.

Farmed 1.5 million CP and spent it all.

Went back.

How could I ever die here :/?

Grinding doesn't save you. Only good strategy.

You guys still complaining about the linearity? Well guess what. I just spent 5 hours walking around Pulse doing a few hunts and I don't even think I've explored a quarter of the place. It's fuckin HUGE!

scotcheggz said:
OK so whats up with
Cid Raines
(Chapter 10 spoiler) boss fight then? I can rinse him down to about 15-20% in a matter of minutes but then after that, his HP just doesn't drop, even if he is staggered, then after he gets bored of that for 10 minutes or so, turns on lightning, even with a sentinal out that has been previously holding hate and just butchers her relentlessly until game over.

So am I doing something wrong here? Whats the trick to finish him off, becuase after three attempts I'm just confused...

that is because he buffs himself.. use dispelga technique or try to kill him before he uses buffs

Game focused on combat should really have a good ol fashioned "Fuck you!" mode.

I can only think of one or two games that do something so rude that I would consider it being 'fuck you' level.

For example, if you clear Cave's shoot em up Dodonpachi Daioujou on one credit and reach the 2nd loop, it takes away all your lives but one upon starting the 2nd loop. Because of this only a handful (less than 5) of people had cleared the 2nd loop years after the games release.

In any case, Mass Effect 2 is boring and easy on any difficulty. At least this game tried to have some kind of scoring system (although they failed at it).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kyoufu said:
Grinding doesn't save you. Only good strategy.
There was no "strategy" that would let me win in these situations, trust me, I know.

Extra 4000 hp, 400 str, 400 magic and tons of new abilities each is definitely something you notice.

Clocian-IGN said:
well then no game this gen has been successful as an open world rpg....so why exactly are people complaining lol :lol?

Because more freedom =/= Open world.

I do not have issue with the style they chose (though I think execution was sort of shitty), but I am getting real tired of people implying that there is no difference between this and traditional JRPG structure.

Justin

So it looks like I missed the awesome farming area in chapter 5 and am to far to go back. Is there any other good farming areas coming up I should look out for?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Man, the track that plays during the majority is Chapter 9 (this isn't the battle theme, I don't think) is beautiful, but it's totally ruined by the damn
siren
. And whoever did the sound mix for this game should never be allowed to work in games again.

ReiGun

Quick question: What should I be doing with components? Is there something I need them for, or are they like loot in FF12 and I can just sell them. Cause I've got a bunch and I need money.

Alex

zero margin said:
I would like to join the hate club for the motorcycles in chapter 7, better have your paradigms in order or you're done.

Provided I'm understanding what you mean (I havent looked at Chapters barely ever) those are pretty easy. Just need to slow the bar with a Com, then hammer on it with double Rav, in most cases it should stagger before it gets mad at you and blows you away.

If you take too long or need to heal, pop into Sent and Provoke and Steelguard. Gatling cant do shit if you have Steelguard up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Peff said:

Man, I wish I could get this to work, since there's a lag between choosing an attack and seeing it happen. :lol

On another note, any good easy grind spots in Chapter 11?

scotcheggz said:
OK so whats up with
Cid Raines

For me, when he guards, that's the best time to get Rav/Rav/Rav and build up your chain... then go Med/Rav/Com to keep the chain going until you can stagger him.

Rpgmonkey

ElFly said:

It lost all the sense of urgency the plot had achieved, and the perfect difficulty balance of earlier levels is now a joke; I have to guess whether I am able to kill enemies on the plain. Obviously the giant monsters are too much for me, but I feel I've killed so many behemoths that I should be able to fight a wild one.

I quite like Pulse, but I agree that a lot gets thrown out of whack in an instant, not to mention I think Cocoon is lame.

The game doesn't have particularly good pacing at all and does a horrible job of setting you up for Pulse.

I'd just pick what you want to do (play around for hours, continue with the story, or try to do some kind of attempt at both) and go from there. Not much else you can do. You can beat pretty much everything in the first accessible areas of Pulse besides the Adamantoise, but it'll take a bit of luck and planning, and you might need to get a tad stronger.

Alex said:
Those are pretty easy. Just need to slow the bar with a Com, then hammer on it with double Rav, in most cases it should stagger before it gets mad at you and blows you away.

If you take too long or need to heal, pop into Sent and Provoke and Steelguard. Gatling cant do shit if you have Steelguard up.

Holy crap, you can actually stagger it first? I've tried com/rav and I barely scratch the bar, weapons need upgrading maybe? Crystarium is maxed so that is not the issue. As it is I make sure hope buffs up and then I switch to the sentinel for snow and it comes in basically the next turn.

EDIT - I've not tried rav/rav though

scotcheggz

firehawk12 said:
Man, I wish I could get this to work, since there's a lag between choosing an attack and seeing it happen. :lol

On another note, any good easy grind spots in Chapter 11?

For me, when he guards, that's the best time to get Rav/Rav/Rav and build up your chain... then go Med/Rav/Com to keep the chain going until you can stagger him.

Yeh, I just tried swapping Fang with Snow for RAV/RAV/RAV and completely cheesed him. Just goes to show how little changes make such a difference.

Thanks all!

The Chapter 5 end boss takes too much time: I think I was averaging about 3 Paradigm Shifts every minute, lol.

I wonder who makes these target times, some of them are really lax (like that boss fight is 12 or so minutes)

RPGCrazied

OMG chapter 11 boss

in tenjin's tower, at the top. . I get him to teh point of staggering, then he uses something called flominus wrath an one shots pretty much everyone. :(

Alex

zero margin said:
Holy crap, you can actually stagger it first? I've tried com/rav and I barely scratch the bar, weapons need upgrading maybe? Crystarium is maxed so that is not the issue. As it is I make sure hope buffs up and then I switch to the sentinel for snow and it comes in basically the next turn.

EDIT - I've not tried rav/rav though

Yeah, throw up a swing with your Commando to slow down the bar then go Rav/Rav if you're trying to stagger it fast.

Alex said:
Provided I'm understanding what you mean (I havent looked at Chapters barely ever) those are pretty easy. Just need to slow the bar with a Com, then hammer on it with double Rav, in most cases it should stagger before it gets mad at you and blows you away.

There's a low margin for error there, though. I had a couple of times where my partner died because I couldn't Provoke in time to have Gatling target me, and I ran out of Phoenix Downs pretty fast thanks to that.

Alex

KuwabaraTheMan said:
There's a low margin for error there, though. I had a couple of times where my partner died because I couldn't Provoke in time to have Gatling target me, and I ran out of Phoenix Downs pretty fast thanks to that.

Nah, its not too bad, I just swap to Sentinel ahead of time and manually set my order.

Your sentinel should also be able to live through gatling if its being healed, but just on its own outside of steelguard I got one shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom