• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ballistictiger said:
If possible lets not discuss about sales. Sales talk destroys threads.

very wise. But we need another thread to discuss sales, because I think the way that XIII performs in the west will determine the future of jRPG development. That's right.. I went there.

Dresden

BocoDragon said:
very wise. But we need another thread to discuss sales, because I think the way that XIII performs in the west will determine the future of jRPG development. That's right.. I went there.
Not really. The future of JRPGs has always rested with the hentai industry.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dresden said:
I think I'm the only one here who actually likes Snow. He's a dumbass douchebag, but that's what makes him so loveable. Whenever he does a fist pump I do a facepalm... but I smile, as well. I think it's because he's so goddamn happy most of the time.
This guy is totally dudebro. The way he says "way to go" after the shiva sisters is so hilariously bro.

Diablos

Magnus said:
Guess we played different games. Aside from a couple of battles sprinkled throughout (including bosses) that require switching between AI routines (sorry, paradigms), you in fact can auto battle your way through 95% of Chapters 1-7. Pretending the option isn't there cripples you; the battle speed is designed for you to mash that shit and take advantage. Everything is artfully engineered to streamline combat in this game into some kind of visual battle opera that you're meant to watch more than interact with.

I hope everything changes soon, as most have said it will.
Funny, most of the time I've used manual and not auto battle... and battles can be won much more quickly and efficiently if you manage your actions.

Yoshichan said:
No, no it's not infinite money. Sorry if it came out that way. It's a much better way of getting Trapezohedron which is needed for every ultimate weapon in the game so you'll need some of them.

Yup, that's more or less it. The investment needed is 1.5mln each. Still, you get 3 traps for that, as opposed to buying one in a store for 2mln. If you have the money from all the Platinum Ignots and no Trapezohedrons are dropping go for it.

Styles

Diablos said:
Funny, most of the time I've used manual and not auto battle... and battles can be won much more quickly and efficiently if you manage your actions.

Seriously.

I don't want you to use Ruin Lightning, I want you to use Ruinga goddamnit!

kinggroin

Banned
5 hours in, and I'm slowly starting to do a 180 on my opinion.

The game feels so regressive that it makes me feel like the Edge score was being generous. I simply can't shake this feeling that I'm going through levels, like in a platformer or something.

I HATE not having a world map. I HATE no being to explore. I HATE the absolute linearity of it all. Nothing feels cohesive at all; just a bunch of pretty looking stages.

Story is also beginning to lose my interest.

Oh, and I still hate only controlling one character and using the others through gambits. It's not a hard system or anything, but I at the very least wish I could have full control over everything.

Anyone out there significantly past Chapter 4, that can reassure me things get better?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Great! So I finally upgraded all main tier 2 weapons for everyone except Fang since I need Dragoon Lance with her. And to get that, I need to beat Mission 46 which is FUCK hard.

Argh! So many side quests needed to be done to complete another side quests which eventually leads to ANOTHER side quest!

Who said there were none in this?!

_Xenon_

Banned
kinggroin said:
Anyone out there significantly past Chapter 4, that can reassure me things get better?
Ch4 is the worst of the game so far (I'm at Ch10). Things only get interesting after you pass Ch9, which takes almost 20 hours from the start.

Amir0x

Banned
Magnus said:
Guess we played different games. Aside from a couple of battles sprinkled throughout (including bosses) that require switching between AI routines (sorry, paradigms), you in fact can auto battle your way through 95% of Chapters 1-7. Pretending the option isn't there cripples you; the battle speed is designed for you to mash that shit and take advantage. Everything is artfully engineered to streamline combat in this game into some kind of visual battle opera that you're meant to watch more than interact with.

I hope everything changes soon, as most have said it will.

Seems to be about right. I don't know the exact speed versus manually inputting commands, but through chap 7, autobattle+switching between sab/rav/ and rav/rav (or rav/med on bosses) to ATB cancel ends every battle in five star wins. I guess if you're getting five stars anyway, you don't really need to worry about speeding up the battles even more than the 20 seconds it takes to end 90% of battles.

This game plays itself harder than FFXII, that's for sure.

Rpgmonkey

Story-wise, nothing really happens until about Chapter 9. Then nothing really happens until the very last part of Chapter 11 and Chapter 12.

The gameplay picks up a little, by Chapter 4 I think you've gotten pretty much every aspect unlocked though. After that it's your job to just play around with the stuff you have.

The game remains in a restrictive "level" format until Chapter 11.

BluWacky

Amir0x said:
Seems to be about right. I don't know the exact speed versus manually inputting commands, but through chap 7, autobattle+switching between sab/rav/ and rav/rav (or rav/med on bosses) to ATB cancel ends every battle in five star wins. I guess if you're getting five stars anyway, you don't really need to worry about speeding up the battles even more than the 20 seconds it takes to end 90% of battles.

This game plays itself harder than FFXII, that's for sure.

I guess the difference is where the interaction lies - for FFXII you set your gambits up before battle and then do nothing once you're actually there except run around with the analogue stick, whereas for FFXIII you thwack LB/L1 a lot in battle and then mash X so it feels like you're doing more even if you have no control over certain actions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Phew, took me some 2 hours but I now have 8 auto-haste items... should be enough <,<! I wish they would stack!

Zalasta

Honestly, sometimes I like my RPG straight forward. There are days I just don't want to micromanage everything. FF13 fits that perfectly, it also has one of the best party A.I. I have ever experienced. I'm glad I didn't have some unrealistic expectations for this game and able to enjoy it for what it is, rather than complain for what it is not.

ZeoVGM

Banned
BocoDragon said:
The way this game has chapters where the scene music plays through the battle sequences is great. This game basically gives us both classic FF-style "battle music" and later FF12-style, which maintains the driving level music through battles.

How is that "FF12-style"? Every FF has had multiple moments like that since at least FF7.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
Story-wise, nothing really happens until about Chapter 9.

This is simply not true. How can you say nothing happens in chapter 7? It's packed from beginning to end. There's stuff that moves the plot along in a couple big ways in chapter 8 too. But saying nothing really happens in chapter 7 couldn't be more wrong.

careful

Rektash said:
I must be the slowest player in this thread. I am 33 hours in and in the middle of chapter 10. Well I do everything there is in dungeons and look at the scenery quite often. And I dedicated at least one hour looking at the gorgeous female character models :lol .
You perv
I might have done the same

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, now I know how the guys in the JP FFXIII thread felt back in December

there's so much misinformation being thrown around

Zalasta

omg rite said:
This is simply not true. How can you say nothing happens in chapter 7? It's packed from beginning to end. There's stuff that moves the plot along in a couple big ways in chapter 8 too. But saying nothing really happens in chapter 7 couldn't be more wrong.

People who complain about FF13's story must be accomplished writers themselves. It's true that it starts off pretty cliche, but I've been fairly impressed at how it has developed as I progressed through the game. Sure it never really gets away from the "save the world" mentality, but it is the characters, their past and their connection with each other, that makes it interesting.

Ricker

Man this game is getting hard...currently in Chapter 7,which is awesome,but I knew I was in a little bit of trouble when I could not beat a certain group of regular ennemies and had,for the first time,to use a deceptisol,not to surprise them,but to avoid the fight...the Sentinel gameplay is killing me,I really don`t like it...thankfully,for the first time,there`s a little area in there that you can grind a bit,I 5 star those guys easily and they drop somekind of chip that I sell,save,level my skills,rinse and repeat.

The last Boss in there I fought once,it was late and when I saw his health bar and how slow I was damaging it,compare to his constant barrage on me,I died pretty fast,I didn`t even come close to hurting that thing,so I grinded a bit and called it a night.

I didn`t have to use the guides you guys posted for Bosses and all but I might have to do it for this guy.

manzo

Any differences between the US and PAL PS3 versions? I will be going to NYC in a few weeks, so I'll pick up the PS3 version while I'm there.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
kinggroin said:

The game feels so regressive that it makes me feel like the Edge score was being generous. I simply can't shake this feeling that I'm going through levels, like in a platformer or something.

I HATE not having a world map. I HATE no being to explore. I HATE the absolute linearity of it all. Nothing feels cohesive at all; just a bunch of pretty looking stages.

Oh, and I still hate only controlling one character and using the others through gambits. It's not a hard system or anything, but I at the very least wish I could have full control over everything.

I'm at chapter 10 and it's the same so far.

Zalasta said:
People who complain about FF13's story must be accomplished writers themselves.

Ugh. People still do this?

Mandoric

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Phew, took me some 2 hours but I now have 8 auto-haste items... should be enough <,<! I wish they would stack!

They do, kind of. Two or more haste-related items equipped gives innate +5% haste per item, above and beyond their listed benefits.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
kinggroin said:

The progresson is one of the reasons I love it.

You see, most JRPGs don't really do much for me when it comes to exploration. After experiencing things like Fallout 3 or even Mass Effect, I just can't get into the JRPGs that supposedly offer exploration. Having an ultra polished linear experience is exactly what I needed.

ElFly

Rez said:
wow, now I know how the guys in the JP FFXIII thread felt back in December

there's so much misinformation being thrown around

I want to know why the japanese thread didn't condemn Vanille as the blight upon gamekind she is.

Anyway, I finally beat Hecatonchires after grinding a little more so the asshole didn't kill me while I was going sab on his ass.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Alright, one hour or two into the game now and I'm about to start leveling the paradigms. Any tips or advice? What should I know?

Yoshichan

itsinmyveins said:
Alright, one hour or two into the game now and I'm about to start leveling the paradigms. Any tips or advice? What should I know?
Hold down the X button. A lot.

Amneisac

itsinmyveins said:

Yeah, basically for the first.. well, most of the game you can spend points to max out each of the three jobs with a very small amount (if any) grinding at all.

I keep seeing everyone say it takes around 19-20 hours to get to Gran Pulse CH10. I'm on the end of ch7 around 13 hours. Are ch8 and 9 really that long?

MaddMastaMike

Neo Member
Wow I'm slow at progressing through this *damn WKC* but I just fought Chp5?
Odin
and it made me remember my first reflect Phys with Nocturne as I died 7x within the first 15 sec.

So far I still am enjoying the ride....arrgg GoW and RoF may get delayed in the juggle

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Got to chapter 12 last night. The
opening CG
was epic.

I went into this game less hyped than I'd ever been for any FF and had a feeling I was gonna dislike it, but the game ended up being fucking awesome. Maybe my new favorite >6 FF.

Damn.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
Quick question, if I got my 3 main crystarium max out, should I even bother with the rest. I remember reading that it would hurt me later on if I have more then 3 crystarium. I'm in chapter 11.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Voyevoda007 said:
Quick question, if I got my 3 main crystarium max out, should I even level the rest up. I remember reading that it would hurt me later on if I have more then 3 crystarium. I'm in chapter 11.

I wouldn't bother with anything but the 3 main roles until post game.

I maxed my characters in chapter 11 too and just stocked my extra cp for chapter 12.

phinious

I'm having a problem following the story. It seems like cut scenes conflict with each other. in particular where
Snow gets captured and is handcuffed. He talks wit the Sanctum army commander. Then later he is fighting the commander's forces? wtf

Other than that I am loving the game. I have even died a few times.I enjoy the battles with lighning in my party much more than the others though. The others seem to take forever to kill anything.

Can anyone tell me if strength is useful for ravagers? I assumed they were more casters than anything so I pumped up their magic. Their attacks are like half as much as Lighting hits for in commando, and I pumped her strength up.

Mandoric

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
I wouldn't bother with anything but the 3 main roles until post game.

I maxed my characters in chapter 11 too and just stocked my extra cp for chapter 12.

You will earn more than one million CP between the chapter 11 boss and endgame. May as well spend it rather than have it go to waste.

darkjedi187 said:
I keep seeing everyone say it takes around 19-20 hours to get to Gran Pulse CH10. I'm on the end of ch7 around 13 hours. Are ch8 and 9 really that long?

Wow thats all? Im on my 24th hour on chapter 9. I guess removing the little bit of CP farming, I would be there.

orion434

Just started Chapter 10, and was wondering if there is use for the "Sentinel" in the game besides the few instances where it's obvious that the boss is going to open a can of whop-ass. It seems that every other job-class has it's advantage but this one... am I just not seeing it's potential?

LowParry

rayner said:
Just started Chapter 10, and was wondering if there is use for the "Sentinel" in the game besides the few instances where it's obvious that the boss is going to open a can of whop-ass. It seems that every other job-class has it's advantage but this one... am I just not seeing it's potential?

Mix it with two Ravages. I find that combo extremely effective.

Peff

rayner said:

Provoke and Challenge will redirect most enemies to attack your Sentinel, who in turn will have a huge defense boost thanks to his/her abilities. This leaves two charaters free to pummel the enemies or build buffs and debuffs freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom