• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

How long until Gamefaqs or IGN Guides or 1up MyCheats has a full guide up? Or do they have some deal with the guide book publishers to not do free online guides for some period of time after a game launches to make sure they can sell guides?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
firehawk12 said:
Strange though - to get any of the good gear, you need Gil. To get Gil, you need good gear. How does this make sense? Damn chicken and the egg.
Other than mission 24 on Chapter 11, it seems like post chapter 9, you're kind of screwed on the Gil farms.
To get gil, you need to Death with Vanille and that's it.

Gil = Weapons = Hunts

This game has a very unforgiving battle system. It's probably the way it works in real time and how you need to gain momentum from the start of the battle. I've lost count of the number of times I've gotten my ass kicked inside of 30 seconds or won in less than 30 seconds and earned 5 stars. This is either the hardest or the easiest game I've ever played, and the difficulty changes just about every battle. :lol

Just
got Odin
and the first time he shit on me and had time to wipe afterwards in about 10 seconds, the second time I was able to get him to Gestalt in about 2 minutes and 40 seconds for the 5-star victory. Having the right Paradigms set up is the key, and sometimes you'll have to get an ass whuppin' and see what Paradigms you need to set up to win for the second try. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yoshichan said:

Gil = Weapons = Hunts

On who though? The adamantoise or whatever they're called? You need the Best Choice/Connoisseur Catalog to at least get a chance of the good drop... and you apparently need 60k to buy the material you need to upgrade the lower tier catalog. Poof.

Yoshichan said:

Gil = Weapons = Hunts
Does it work on giant adamantine in the U.S version? I'll try it out later of course.

Gamesradar or shall I say gameyradar has mission 1-20 atm and are working on guides for mission 21-64.

I use gamesradar to find out the location for the missions atm.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
firehawk12 said:
On who though? The adamantoise or whatever they're called? You need the Best Choice/Connoisseur Catalog to at least get a chance of the good drop... and you apparently need 60k to buy the material you need to upgrade the lower tier catalog. Poof.
I've got none of those and I managed to get 150.000 x4 gil in two hours of farming.

Also, do the quest in
Boerba with the robot
and get 600k gil.

Ballistictiger said:
Does it work on giant adamantine in the U.S version? I'll try it out later of course.
Works great in US version.

Ballistictiger said:
Gamesradar or shall I say gameyradar has mission 1-20 atm and are working on guides for mission 21-64.
Damn it, anything beyond mission 30? Why is the community taking so long? I believe Splitinfinity managed with a 2000kb FAQ the first week...

Ballistictiger said:

It does work. Might need you to try a few times though. I'm doing missions right now, better than grind (grinded approx. 2mln CP yesterday), when I get Genji Glove it's Highwind time :lol

Ballistictiger said:
Cool when you do get death for Vanille by the way?

I think it's on the second-to-last tier in her Saboteur tree. It's Vanille's equivalent to Lightning's Army of One, Fang's Highwind, etc. Took me 10 checks to realize that. :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So my main party consists of Lightning/Fang/Hope because Lightning/Fang are both good offensive characters (and Fang having Sentinel/Saboteur at the sideline, and Lightning for having medic/ravager at the sideline) and Hope being an all-around caster (medic/synergist/ravager).

Should I let Hope stick with the Vidofnir (defense maintenance) or Hawkeye (magic)?

Ballistictiger said:
If it's in that range it must cost like 6 ATB then. Damn gotta spend money to make money then :lol

All "special" moves cost ALL ATB bars, so you can have it with 5ATB bars only, no need for the Ultimate weapon.

ULTROS! said:
Should I let Hope stick with the Vidofnir (defense maintenance) or Hawkeye (magic)?

Up to you, I gave Fang/Vanille/Hope weapons boosting their respective Synergist/Saboteur talents.

Firestorm

Ballistictiger said:
Mission 7.

Before you start buy 3 of the lowest hp armors in the store. Keep beating the mission until you get a tetra crown or tetra tiara.

Save.

Dismantle all 3 of the armor you just bought, level up the crown or tiara and dismantle it. If you did it with Crown level it up and buy that 30,000 transforming stone to turn it into a sprint shoe. If you dismantled a tiara instead you don't need to but tiaras are rare as hell.
What do you mean by 3 lowest hp armors? And does the item make you move faster on the map or increase the speed your ATB bar fills up?

Yoshichan

:lol :lol :lol Wtf I thought it was going to take ages farming auto-haste accessories... got three now, after what, 20 minutes? Good deal.

painey

I have 2 maxed out weapons, but they both need Trapezohedron to make them Ultimate Weapons.. but at 2,000,000gil each in the store.. I cant afford it. Do they drop, or hidden in bouncing balls later?

Yoshichan

Castor Krieg said:
Guess who just showed up during one of the missions?
Tonberry
FFFFFFFFFF, why did I read that :lol

Yoshichan

painey said:
Don't worry, when you find ONE, it's easy from there. Use that one Trop to make Kains Lance (Fangs ultimate weapon), then break it and you get 3 of them. Repeat until you've got 99!

That's like infinite money then isn't it.

*Bookmarked*

Any of Fang's weapon can be turned into ultimate and demolished for that right?

Nevermind it's not.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yoshichan said:
Don't worry, when you find ONE, it's easy from there. Use that one Trop to make Kains Lance (Fangs ultimate weapon), then break it and you get 3 of them. Repeat until you've got 99!

At early on in the game I don't know what you just said but I'll bookmark it anyway :p

Naeblish

Wow, i love this game. It has without a doubt the worst intro this gen though. The first 3 hours were so bad, i was about to sell the game. Glad i didn't. The writing still sucks, but the awesome combat and beautiful art direction make up for it.

I'm about 9 hours in now, at chapter 5. One thing i don't understand and frustrates the hell out of me in combat. It sometimes happens that the stagger bar on certain mobs, decreases very rapidly thereby not being able to fill it and do some decent damage. This can make some fights very long and boring if you don't have lightning with you. Most of the time it just decreases very slowly, so you can fill it fast with the ravager classes. How do you avoid/stop the fast decreasing?

Zzoram

Ballistictiger said:

*Bookmarked*

Any of Fang's weapon can be turned into ultimate and demolished for that right?

Nevermind it's not.

I doubt it's unlimited money. To make Fang's ultimate, you have to level up a base weapon to the max, transform it into the tier2 weapon, level that up to the max, then use the Trapezohedron. Breaking the weapon gets you 3 of them, but it doesn't get back all the money it cost to upgrade the weapon up to that point. I bet you break even or lose money, the advantage of doing it is getting more Trapezohedron since they are rare items. They don't sell for anywhere near as much as they cost to buy.

Rpgmonkey

Where would I post a review anyway? I'd rather not have to cover my rant about this game in a bunch of black boxes.

Ballistictiger said:
I tried tons of method but this is the only one that worked.

Same here.

I didn't like the summon fights. You're given all these hints but there's basically only one or two real ways to do it before the stupid doom counter gets you. Not to mention only one of them doesn't switch your party/paradigms without warning and without even letting you prepare and adjust.

Would've been awesome if you could make Eidolon vs. Eidolon battles or something. Instead they were just annoying fights that added a command I accidentally choose when I wanted Libra or Renew. :(

Naeblish said:
I'm about 9 hours in now, at chapter 5. One thing i don't understand and frustrates the hell out of me in combat. It sometimes happens that the stagger bar on certain mobs, decreases very rapidly thereby not being able to fill it and do some decent damage. This can make some fights very long and boring if you don't have lightning with you. Most of the time it just decreases very slowly, so you can fill it fast with the ravager classes. How do you avoid/stop the fast decreasing?

Commando or Saboteur.

Zzoram

Naeblish said:
Wow, i love this game. It has without a doubt the worst intro this gen though. The first 3 hours were so bad, i was about to sell the game. Glad i didn't. The writing still sucks, but the awesome combat and beautiful art direction make up for it.

Ravengers boost the stagger bar quickly. Commandos slow down the decrease if they hit the same enemy while the bar is decreasing, before it goes to 0.

Just fought
Odin

First hard challenge so far.. I died like 4 or 5 times..

I had to potion up hard early on and barely won with less than 100 ticks left on my
doom counter

alternade

So I just got this game and im kinda confused.

Do you completely heal after every battle? everytime?

Can I change party members? How?

Can I only attack one enemy at a time?

Bodom78

Been playing for around 7 hours and I'm really digging the game. Has that nostalgic FF feel and the combat system really flows. Love the speed of the battles.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
alternade said:
So I just got this game and im kinda confused.

Do you completely heal after every battle? everytime?

Can I change party members? How?

Can I only attack one enemy at a time?

1. Yes

2. You can start doing it at the middle of
Chapter 10
and you can do it via changing the Battle Team.

3. You can change targets

You do fully get healed very battle because even normal battles are challenging at times and this game have no MP.

hitting multiple enemies depends on the skill/moves and area of effect.

alternade

This combat system is taking some real getting used to! I like the idea behind paradigm shift alot, just got to get used to COMPLETELY AI battle partners:lol

Naeblish

Zzoram said:
Ravengers boost the stagger bar quickly. Commandos slow down the decrease if they hit the same enemy while the bar is decreasing, before it goes to 0.
Ok thnx. I had situations though where i could just build up to the stagger with 2 ravagers without a commando. Does it require some damage done first or something? It seems very random.

Naeblish said:
Ok thnx. I had situations though where i could just build up to the stagger with 2 ravagers without a commando. Does it require some damage done first or something? It seems very random.
Hit the monster/enemy with a commando first then switch to double ravangers or triple if possible :lol

If possible lets not discuss about sales. Sales talk destroys threads.

Yoshichan

Ballistictiger said:

*Bookmarked*
chandoog said:
At early on in the game I don't know what you just said but I'll bookmark it anyway :p
No, no it's not infinite money. Sorry if it came out that way. It's a much better way of getting Trapezohedron which is needed for every ultimate weapon in the game so you'll need some of them.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The way this game has chapters where the scene music plays through the battle sequences is great. This game basically gives us both classic FF-style "battle music" and later FF12-style, which maintains the driving level music through battles.

Yoshichan said:
No, no it's not infinite money. Sorry if it came out that way. It's a much better way of getting Trapezohedron which is needed for every ultimate weapon in the game so you'll need some of them.
Could have read a few post down.

Maybe I should have edited that out a minute after I posted.

Dresden

Fuck, played all through the night... but it's spring break tomorrow so no worries.

I think I'm the only one here who actually likes Snow. He's a dumbass douchebag, but that's what makes him so loveable. Whenever he does a fist pump I do a facepalm... but I smile, as well. I think it's because he's so goddamn happy most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom