• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai3345

Banned
Just started this today and holy shit that first cutscene was amazing

and then things slowly went downhill from there.

The battles are slow and boring when you only have two methods of attack, Vanille and Lightning are annoying, and Hope needs to grow a fucking dick.

When do I unlock the Paradigm Shift and when does the game start to pick up?

Dresden said:
Wow, I just hit a wall in Chapter 11. It's not that it's too tough, it's that I'm suddenly so tired of the game. I'm tired of shifting paradigms. It all looks cool still, but I'm just... bored.

Try playing without auto battle.

Rpgmonkey said:
Getting kinda tired of running from place to place in Pulse, I think I'm ready to move on to another game already.

Same. I refuse to hold up on the analog stick for minutes at a time just to get into another palette swapped easy fight.

LiK

Yoshichan said:
I don't know if this is sarcasm or not but 45k will get you nowhere. I mean, not even a single upgrade to tier 2.
I dunno what you mean, doing perfectly fine here. Only died 3 times after 10 chapters. And once was from a doom timer. maybe chap 11 gets hard but I don't think I'll do all missions in Pulse for my first playthru. Just gonna finish the main quest.

commish said:
so far, the only fight i had to put the battle speed to slow. Just go heal/heal and attack when he's just sitting there, with rav/rav, iirc.

Edit: Btw, if you scan a certain enemy type once, do you need to rescan them again or do your characters remember the info?

yea that's what I had to do after about 4 defeats(except setting it to slowmode). The thing is you don't know the best paradigm for the fight, and i didn't even have the correct one created yet. so i finally set up med/med and rav/rav along with a few others and the win came the next round.

as for recasting libra for every fight, I'm not sure about that. i guess you can test it by R1 a monster you know you have scanned in a previous fight and see if the attributes show up

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LiK said:
I dunno what you mean, doing perfectly fine here. Only died 3 times after 10 chapters. And once was from a doom timer. maybe chap 11 gets hard but I don't think I'll do all missions in Pulse for my first playthru. Just gonna finish the main quest.
I meant nowhere in terms of weapon upgrading, lol. I thought you were saying 45k gil was a lot of gil.

Synless said:
Ok, so I beat the game last night. What is the fastest way to get the limit breaker trophy?
Yoshichan said:
I got it very early with bahamut. I debuff him, then summon Bahamut and immediately go for Mega Flare.

Maybe I need my eyes checked, but does anybody else think that the CG and the in game graphics look very close? Its not like FFX where it was apparent. Sometimes its hard to tell with the character models.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Host Samurai said:
Maybe I need my eyes checked, but does anybody else think that the CG and the in game graphics look very close? Its not like FFX where it was apparent. Sometimes its hard to tell with the character models.
I notice when it changes in this game but I remember having problems with the environments in FFXII.

LiK

Yoshichan said:
I meant nowhere in terms of weapon upgrading, lol. I thought you were saying 45k gil was a lot of gil.
O ok, seemed like a lot to me at that point since im not even grinding. Just running thru the dungeons fighting anything in front of me. I guess chap 11 is where things change. I haven't really played much of It yet.

aku08

kai3345 said:
Hope needs to grow a fucking dick.

he annoyed the shit out of me too in the beginning. but i actually liked how his character progressed. i thought he was always going to be that annoying kid but i thought he developed into a good character. he's now a mainstay in my party.

Yoshichan

LiK said:
O ok, seemed like a lot to me at that point since im not even grinding. Just running thru the dungeons fighting anything in front of me. I guess chap 11 is where things change. I haven't really played much of It yet.
Yeah it gets harder in chapter 11, however I didn't upgrade or buy anything in the shops until I beat the game so you should be fine :)

Dead

well not really...yet
rayner said:
I find it very dissapointing that Ultimate weapons in FFXIII is the result of gil-farming.
Just be thankful they don't involve not opening some random chests you come across earlier in the game :D

LiK

Yoshichan said:
Yeah it gets harder in chapter 11, however I didn't upgrade or buy anything in the shops until I beat the game so you should be fine :)
Good to know, I really don't wanna grind to beat any bosses.

Yoshichan

Synless said:
What enemy did you debuff? Any enemy?
I don't really remember who it was so I'm sure you can do it on anyone, as long as they're debuffable and doesn't have 1 billion armor :)

Teknoman

kai3345 said:
Just started this today and holy shit that first cutscene was amazing

and then things slowly went downhill from there.

The battles are slow and boring when you only have two methods of attack, Vanille and Lightning are annoying, and Hope needs to grow a fucking dick.

When do I unlock the Paradigm Shift and when does the game start to pick up?

Kid+Mom+Death before eyes = Not happy kid. He gets over it eventually, but still.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Probably old news, but...

180px-Jihl_Nabaat.png

=

7024.lulu_2D00_final_2D00_fantasy_2D00_x.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
oh god :lol In a game full of ridiculously terrible designs, that belt skirt was just...lol. Glad Nomura had some kind of self restraint in this game.

Frostburn

LiK said:
I like the treasure chests in XIII, they float and bob making them easy to spot plus if they're behind something, you hear them easily. Esp easy to find with surround sound. And I'm glad they're shown on the map after you opened them.
I too like the Treasure Spheres! Argh I hate not having more time each day to play this game, just got to Chapter 4 and all I want to do is leave work and play more!

LiK

Dead said:
oh god :lol In a game full of ridiculously terrible designs, that belt skirt was just...lol. Glad Nomura had some kind of self restraint in this game.
Yea, but Lulu was still hot. ;)

Dead

well not really...yet
Himuro said:
It's not like FF13's designs are any better. None of the characters in FF13 look like they're even from the same game, except for Fang and Vanille.

Anyways you guys were right. Just sold a bunch of credit chips and I've amassed like 100k.
Nomura's designs in 13 are probably his best so far for a FF. Not too over the top and a lot of self restraint in the beltz'n'zippers category. 8 overall had mostly decent designs, though its too bad the game is the worst FF and has the worst cast, for that alone I'd rank 13 higher.

Lightning and Fang are 2 designs I genuinely like. Fangs especially.

LiK

Dead said:
Nomuras designs in 13 are probably his best so far for a FF. Not too over the top, a lot of self restraint in the beltz'n'zippers category.

Lightening and Fang are 2 designs I genuinely like. Fangs especially.
Yea, too bad Hope's outfit looks so silly in comparison.

Amon37

So wait are you saying I can turn an one of lightnings swords into her ultimate weapon? There is no specific path I have to take?

LiK

Dead said:
Hope is the weakest of the 6, yeah. but still better than most of the designs in X
Now that I look back at it, the female designs for FFX was much stronger than the guys.

Dead

well not really...yet
LiK said:
Now that I look back at it, the female designs for FFX was much stronger than the guys.
Tidus and Wakka were just :lol

I think Kimari might be the only design I liked in X

MechaX

Mr. Pointy said:
Jihl, my beloved Evil Quistis
gets jobbed by a FUCKING RUIN?!?!?!

Yeah... I would go as far as to say that this game has some of the worst villains in FF history. It's quite jarring coming from XII, which had a lot of the best villains in the franchise, to this one.

LiK

Dead said:
Tidus and Wakka were just :lol

I think Kimari might be the only design I liked in X
Hope is like mini-Tidus. Even their hair style is similar. Glad Hope is less annoying tho.

edgefusion

So... Vanille is pretty messed up in the head right? Which is never explicitly stated in the game. At one point she mentions
having secrets she wishes she could forget
and her eidolon
is a fucked up mess of arms
and her final ability is
death, something totally different to other characters
. She seems like a sweet innocent little girl but she has brain problems man.

Zoe

edgefusion said:
So... Vanille is pretty messed up in the head right? Which is never explicitly stated in the game. At one point she mentions
having secrets she wishes she could forget
and her eidolon
is a fucked up mess of arms
and her final ability is
death, something totally different to other characters
. She seems like a sweet innocent little girl but she has brain problems man.

If you've really played that far, you'd know what her problem is

K' Dash

Mr. Pointy said:

My God, isn't Quistis Trepe the sexiest character in the entire franchise.

Spoiler part is true, just fucking stupid, I expected more...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't been able to get any Tiaras... don't see how people are getting 3. :lol

At this point, I'd settle for crowns just to get it over with.

Dead

well not really...yet
Zoe said:
I've never been able to see the appeal of Jihl.
Wasnt much to her character anyways

I appreciate the lack of central villain figure in the story so far. Its a nice change of pace from the usual FF formula.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Man, I wish it were easier to find details on the White Engine/Crystal Tools. I'm fascinated by the quality of the lighting in almost every environment. Would love to read about the techniques they used to get that nice Global Illumination look out of the PS3. Reminds me a lot of the stuff Naughty Dog pulled off in U2 in places like the Tibetan village and that temple in the city.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Mr. Pointy said:

Was that
part in the end of Chapter 9?

Oh and maybe it's just me but the game feels... Incomplete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom