• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

Exactly how hard is Chapter 12 and 13? Is maxing out the 3 default crystarium roles enough or would I have to branch out to other roles?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hell yes!

6th Adaman, 2 platinum ingot

Volcynika

Toki767 said:
Exactly how hard is Chapter 12 and 13? Is maxing out the 3 default crystarium roles enough or would I have to branch out to other roles?

I'm at the end of 13 and didn't have to branch out to other roles to get there. Some fights will test your patience though.

Zalasta

Can someone explain to me why do treasure chests show up on maps only after they have been opened? I mean, why do I need to know their locations after they have no use to me? I never really understood it.

Thrakier said:
But it doesn't feel like exploring to me. It feels like running forward.

Again, that's only your perception. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I feel it's a bit narrow-minded to qualify exploration to certain geography.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Folks having trouble death spamming adamantortoises might be interested in my method. Seems to result in a very dead turtle in 3 minutes about 70% of the time.

Faith doesn't seem to affect death's success rate that much (if at all), and neither does the malboro wand. The only thing that seems to help the success rate is the number of debuffs the enemey has when you cast death on him.

So this is what I do:

Vanille, Fang, Hope (though Sazh will work too, I just use Hope because he's almost always in my party anyway)

Dual sab/sab/syn paradigms for atb canceling

Important gear: Sprint shoes on everyone, coinsurer and collector catalogs on Vanille

Start the fight and summon away. Apply all your debuffs except fog. When they all stick, start with the death spam. Haste will run out as soon as your eidolon goes away, so when Hope comes in he'll rehaste you, and Fang will apply all her debuffs. From there, just spam death until he's dead or his legs grow back.

Yoshichan said:
I hate you so much right now.

Don't know what to use it on?! WAT! If you get one Trap, you're pretty much done (the rest is up to gil farming).

With it, get Kains Lance (Fangs ultimate weapon) and break it down for three Traps and start getting other ultimate weapons. When you've got one over, get Fangs ultimate weapon again and repeat. Sure, it costs money but it's waaaaaaaay faster than actually buying 6 Traps for 2mil each.

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lost Fragment said:
Folks having trouble death spamming adamantortoises might be interested in my method. Seems to result in a very dead turtle in 3 minutes about 70% of the time.

Faith doesn't seem to affect death's success rate that much (if at all), and neither does the malboro wand. The only thing that seems to help the success rate is the number of debuffs the enemey has when you cast death on him.

So this is what I do:

Vanille, Fang, Hope (though Sazh will work too, I just use Hope because he's almost always in my party anyway)

Dual sab/sab/syn paradigms for atb canceling

Important gear: Sprint shoes on everyone, coinsurer and collector catalogs on Vanille

Start the fight and summon away. Apply all your debuffs except fog. When they all stick, start with the death spam. Haste will run out as soon as your eidolon goes away, so when Hope comes in he'll rehaste you, and Fang will apply all her debuffs. From there, just spam death until he's dead or his legs grow back.
!!! gonna try this out ASAP! THANKS!

lljride

I need some advice on where to go from here. I'm at the end of Ch 11 but I've only done about 5 missions (the first 2 and the mandatory ones in the Tower). I thought I could warp back easily to the earlier area at the end of Ch 11, but I guess that's only after you open the other warp areas...by doing quests.

Is it worth backtracking ALL the way to the beginning just to do quests (and grind for CP/gil/traps/etc), or should I just press on until the end? There is another warp in Ch 13 right? I've already grinded a little bit so my main 3 classes are maxed with everyone up to this point (haven't finished Ch 11 to unlock the last areas though).

Yoshichan

bdizzle said:
How hard is it to plat this bitch?
time consuming. around 150h

Yoshichan said:
!!! gonna try this out ASAP! THANKS!

All the methods relying on summons are artificial, you need TP for that and it's a slow process to recharge the TP bar.

I will try later today to do it with just my party. The key is to get the legs.

Yoshichan

Castor Krieg said:
All the methods relying on summons are artificial, you need TP for that and it's a slow process to recharge the TP bar.

I will try later today to do it with just my party. The key is to get the legs.
When I need TP, I just go a couple of steps to my left and there's a behemoth and a dog fighting each other (pre-emptive), easy 5-star + lots of CP. I get 3TP for summon in less than 2 minutes :)

bulovski

Neo Member
6.5 hours in and till now I have to say I am on the fence with the game. The game looks gorgeous no two ways about it - it blends technology and art. Some of the videos are jaw-dropping. I love the battle system - for a change it doesn't require advanced maths degree to use (I am looking at you FF8). But other than that, the story hasn't taken off. The characters haven't evolved and there's still no attachment to them - except Vanille, whom I want to kill.

I am on a sabbatical while I finish GOW3 - coming back to this will be a relief after the violence of Kratos.

Question - does the game really take off in the story department later?

Yoshichan

Well I've managed to kill four Adam since I tried with the new strategy (35 mins). It's an increase but I haven't any fucking loot from all four Adams... jesus christ. *continues* .......

Ricker

After about 10 frustrating tries,finally beat Sahz`s Eidolon,man I was about to give up on this game hehe :D

Not sure if it was the upgrade to level on his weapon or the fact that I used 3 ATB of Synergy buffs and Saboteur debuffs that made the difference but anyway,he gave up with lots of time left on my Doom counter :D

This is one of the rare games lately that has me thinking about it when i`m not playing ,at work or whatever,loving it.

Ricker

bulovski said:
6.5 hours in and till now I have to say I am on the fence with the game. The game looks gorgeous no two ways about it - it blends technology and art. Some of the videos are jaw-dropping. I love the battle system - for a change it doesn't require advanced maths degree to use (I am looking at you FF8). But other than that, the story hasn't taken off. The characters haven't evolved and there's still no attachment to them - except Vanille, whom I want to kill.

I am on a sabbatical while I finish GOW3 - coming back to this will be a relief after the violence of Kratos.

Yes,for me it did later,when you start to get Fang involved more in the story and when I reached Nautilus,it got better...

Tom Penny

Are there creatures you can't scan? When I do they don't tell me a weakness. I cannot figure out how to quickly dispose of those Armadillo Porcupine looking things. I always get 0 stars :/ on levels like 5-6.

MoxManiac

bulovski said:

I'm on chapter 9, and it does pick up a little bit. The dialogue never stops being horrible, though.

Yoshichan

GOT A TRAP!!!!!!!

ahgiasjntguiahntga TIME TO FINALLY START GETTING DEM WEAPONZ!!!!!

Mandoric

Banned
I've been looking at the in-game font, and I think I've got most of it. Anyone want to help me with the last few?

21bnyx.png

Yoshichan

lol n/m, I had no clue you needed to have Kains Lance to max level which is going to cost me approximately 1.4 mil which is almost the price for a Trap.

Ridiculous.

Pein

Banned
Got my limit breaker trophy with bahamut, so awesome to waste a boss in a single shot.

Is it weird I still need to call in a summon against the giant turtles in chapter 12? because they're still bitches to kill with out a summon

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Zalasta said:
Can someone explain to me why do treasure chests show up on maps only after they have been opened? I mean, why do I need to know their locations after they have no use to me? I never really understood it.

The only reason I can figure is that so if you see them off in the distance and you can't tell if they're bouncing up and down, you can go ahead and check your map to see if you've opened them already. It's odd, I agree.

Can anyone suggest any places to farm gil in Chapter 11? Should I just follow the storyline pointer on the map or is there a forward base of chip/credit-laden Cocoon soldiers somewhere? (I'm really regretting not farming more gil in the tunnel to the bridge in Chapter 9.) I need to grind for CP, but I'm finding my weapons are too weak to do much damage. But to upgrade, I need some gil to buy components.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
samven582 said:
do you guys having any tips on beating odin?

so far, the only fight i had to put the battle speed to slow. Just go heal/heal and attack when he's just sitting there, with rav/rav, iirc.

Edit: Btw, if you scan a certain enemy type once, do you need to rescan them again or do your characters remember the info?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Chap 11: Just got
Hecatoncheir

Question:
Will I be able to go back to the Gran Pulse field if I keep going forward at this point?

LiK

I like the treasure chests in XIII, they float and bob making them easy to spot plus if they're behind something, you hear them easily. Esp easy to find with surround sound. And I'm glad they're shown on the map after you opened them.

samven582

commish said:
so far, the only fight i had to put the battle speed to slow. Just go heal/heal and attack when he's just sitting there, with rav/rav, iirc.

Edit: Btw, if you scan a certain enemy type once, do you need to rescan them again or do your characters remember the info?

how do I set the battle speed to slow?

Yoshichan

Majine said:
I'm on chapter 11, is it possible to do it this far, or do i need to get some more stats?
I got it very early with bahamut. I debuff him, then summon Bahamut and immediately go for Mega Flare.
samven582 said:
how do I set the battle speed to slow?
Menu > Config

hamchan

samven582 said:
I had no trouble with him, don't know why people are finding it so hard. I just fought him like a normal enemy and paradigm shifted when needed o_O

Bisonian

ULTROS! said:
Chap 11: Just got
Hecatoncheir

Question:
Will I be able to go back to the Gran Pulse field if I keep going forward at this point?

Yes, nothing in the game is missable (save selling an item that only drops on the field). Without going into detail, this includes the specific question that you asked, so no worries there.

Himuro said:
wtf are traps? Also, there are ultimate weapons in this game? I thought people said there was nothing hidden in this?

The "ultimate weapon" is just the last upgrade form of each weapon - they all turn into a weapon with the same name (although their stats are based on the weapon you upgraded to get it). Trap is short for some longer named item that is used to transform most (all?) of the last upgrades, and they sell for 2 million gold late in the game.

Yoshichan

Himuro said:
wtf are traps? Also, there are ultimate weapons in this game? I thought people said there was nothing hidden in this?
There are ultimate weapons in this game, in fact there are tons for each character, depending on what you want (some increase magic, some strength, some increases ATB-speed etc).

There are three tiers for each weapon, the third is their "ultimate" version.

"Trap" aka Trapezohedron is a rare drop from giant turtles (or you could buy them for 2 million each) which is used to customize the 3rd tier weapons. So basically, you'll need Traps to get your ultimate weapons.

Ikkarus

samven582 said:

If you have any resist lightning accessories equip them. Next set Hope to Synergyst and have him cast Protect and Shell on you. Then from there just build up the stagger meter whilst healing in between.

He is tricky to begin with but once you buff up on Protect and Shell he isn't as tough anymore.

bulovski

Neo Member
MoxManiac said:
I'm on chapter 9, and it does pick up a little bit. The dialogue never stops being horrible, though.
That's what I am hearing - seems to be longer than some previous iterations for the story to get going.

As for dialogue this was the low point till now,
"Moms are tough!"
:lol

Mandoric

Banned
What are the English names for the organic materials shop, the expensive armor shop that opens up lategame, the shop that sells Smokes, and the shop that sells amulets/earrings?

Edit: Hm, I think I've got everything possible with shop names. Does the following match up with the English version?
Unicorn Mart
Eden Pharmaceuticals
Prautus's Workshop
B+W Outfitters
Magical Moment(s? z? I hate this font)
Moogle Works
Sanctum Labs
Creature Comforts
Motherlode
Lenora Garage
RnD Depot
That would leave J, Q, V, X, Y, and maybe Z unknown.

Yoshichan

LiK said:
Yea, I had like 45k in chapter 9
I don't know if this is sarcasm or not but 45k will get you nowhere. I mean, not even a single upgrade to tier 2.
Himuro said:
Isn't it easy to get gil later on anyways?
No. There's one easy quest that will grant you 600k gil, after that you'll be farming the rest. 150k Platinum Ingots from Adams is probably the best way of getting cash and that's still hard to get.

Bliddo

commish said:
Just once, press R1 and you'll get the info screen at any time during battle.

Amon37

Himuro said:
Uh

How is that possible? Did you just sell a lot of shit?

uh no, you get a lot of Incentive and credit chips in chapters 7,8,9

Incentive chips sell for 2500 a piece and credit chips for 500 a piece it's not that hard to have the amount buy then.

Dead

well not really...yet
Himuro said:
Uh

How is that possible? Did you just sell a lot of shit?
I had 120,000 gil in chapter 9

Just keep fighting the soldiers that give you Incentive Chips. They sell for 2,500 gil a pop.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
commish said:

I don't know if one scan is always enough to get all the info, but once they're checked in your intel menu it's permanent.

I'm in the tower of Chapter 11 and assumed that I was on a mission instead of story progression. I just want to know if it's still possible to go back and do some more missions from this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom