• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Dresden said:
The icons are for buffs, and I don't think steelguard shows up on it.

Don't use auto-hinder for Snow. Use Provoke-Steelguard-Steelguard and repeat that set every time you need it.

Basically the fight will go like this--start sen/syn to buff with Hope, then when protect and shell are on both characters, switch to Com/Med to heal up then Com/Rav-Rav/Rav to beat up on the snipers. You don't need to worry about the machine until it starts charging up it's gatling gun. You should have enough time to switch Paradigm to Sen/Med, Provoke-Steelguard-Steelguard (just Repeat the command) the Falco, then switch back to Com/Rav.

This or just cloak and run the fuck away...like I did by the 3rd/4th Velo.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I've been reading that FFXIII has freezing problems on the PS3. Anyone encountered this already?

ULTROS! said:
So I've been reading that FFXIII has freezing problems on the PS3. Anyone encountered this already?

I didn't found any reference about this in this thread or other FF XIII threads. It seems a very special case (maybe because a nearly YLOD console?) but Kotaku tries to make it a generic case.

Tideas

Banned
The Road To Nautilus spoiler below

Does anyone noticed that when you're traveling to Nautilus, when the gameworld opens up to the cliffs. If you look up at the sky, you see actual land mass. So is that Pulse landmass then? or just other side of Cocoon being reflected into the sky?

ULTROS! said:

No the only thing Ive encountered was potential slowdown during any cutscene involving lots of characters hair on the screen, ie a scene involving hope, lightning, and vanille, though it was only once or twice I think.

Synless

ULTROS! said:
I've logged in over 50 hours and not had a single freeze. I think that article is full of shit. It's probably peoples systems overheating from long play periods.

Dead

well not really...yet
Fimbulvetr said:
most likely because all of the centralised villain figures in the past several final fantasies turn out to be horribly disappointing by the end. At least this time there isn't a built up expectation to be shattered.

Zoe

Tideas said:

Does anyone noticed that when you're traveling to Nautilus, when the gameworld opens up to the cliffs. If you look up at the sky, you see actual land mass. So is that Pulse landmass then? or just other side of Cocoon being reflected into the sky?

You're seeing the other side of Cocoon. The "sky" is just the space between one side to the other.

Tideas said:

Cocoon has no open sky, it's all holograms and artificial light. What you're seeing is probably Eden(which in the novel is stated as floating above the other cities).

Dead said:
most likely because all of the centralised villain figures in the past several final fantasies turn out to be horribly disappointing by the end. At least this time there isn't a built up expectation to be shattered.

But you don't even
get the satisfaction of being the one to take Jihl down, Galenth just goes "NO! I NEED MORE ATTENTION! D:<".

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
From what I've read (regarding the freezing issue). They make it seem like your PS3 will get destroyed if you encounter the FFXIII freezing issue (wikipedia). :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Fimbulvetr said:
But you don't even
get the satisfaction of being the one to take Jihl down, Galenth just goes "NO! I NEED MORE ATTENTION! D:<".
I wouldnt have gotten any satisfaction out of it in the first place. There wasnt enough to her character, nor did she even appear in the game all that much. She was basically a random superior with a specific name and design, that's all.

She was about as important a character as that military superior from one of Lightning's flashbacks!

Ponn

Banned
So I have to ask because its just killing me to know and would clear up some scenes so far. Maybe someone who has beat the game and seen everything knows for sure but I can't wait and need it answered right now.

Is Fang and Vanille
a couple?

ULTROS!

Ponn01 said:
Is Fang and Vanille
a couple?

You know...
They're even more touchy-feely than Serah and Snow
:lol

desu

ULTROS! said:
Oh and maybe it's just me but the game feels... Incomplete?

Kinda, I still have the feeling the game could have been so much better with some content additions, but we won't get that anyway =/.

Cornbread78

SinceI have yet to peal back the plastic wrapper on this one, I wanted to play ahead a little. One of the rophies you must get to platinum this game on PS3 is to get every item at some point.

Does the game give you a chart to keep track of this, or do you hamually have to guess if you have all the items?

7Th

Ponn01 said:
So I have to ask because its just killing me to know and would clear up some scenes so far. Maybe someone who has beat the game and seen everything knows for sure but I can't wait and need it answered right now.

Is Fang and Vanille
a couple?

The ending has the answer to that question.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm gonna go and grab a 2x CP-accessory now.

Oh how I was it was that easy...
It's gonna be tough, wish me good luck.

K' Dash said:
My God, isn't Quistis Trepe the sexiest character in the entire franchise.

Spoiler part is true, just fucking stupid, I expected more...
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking Quistis when I first saw her. I need my ff8-2 for Quistis alone.

squall211

ULTROS! said:
From what I've read (regarding the freezing issue). They make it seem like your PS3 will get destroyed if you encounter the FFXIII freezing issue (wikipedia). :lol

Well, it froze on me once last Friday while playing FFXIII, and I had to completely restore my PS3 to its default state in order to get it to work again. I honestly don't know if it was due to FFXIII or just my PS3 having a big hiccup though. I'm willing to bet its not related, since it hasn't happened since and I've logged another 20ish hours into the game since then.

Volcynika

Cornbread78 said:
SinceI have yet to peal back the plastic wrapper on this one, I wanted to play ahead a little. One of the rophies you must get to platinum this game on PS3 is to get every item at some point.

Does the game give you a chart to keep track of this, or do you hamually have to guess if you have all the items?

I think it's just at one point in time you had it in your inventory. But I don't have the trophy so I have no idea. And there's no way of tracking it that I can see.

Man, I am so impressed with FF XIII it's not even funny. I was SO cynical about this game for years, but I can't believe how much I love it. From the battle system (best yet) to the soundtrack (possibly the same??) to the graphic (christ) and perhaps even the characters (I actually like them all for their own reasons, unlike any previous FF). If the story picks up and is awesome, I will be floored by the end of this game.

Dead said:
I wouldnt have gotten any satisfaction out of it in the first place. There wasnt enough to her character, nor did she even appear in the game all that much. She was basically a random superior with a specific name and design, that's all.

She was about as important a character as that military superior from one of Lightning's flashbacks!

Developed or not,
there will ALWAYS be satisfaction in taking down a high ranking officer in a military, especially when it's a superior officer. Let's not forget the fact she was hyped up as "Sephrothina" prior to release and the fact you don't get to fight her at all is disappointing.

scotcheggz

Possible chapter 11 spoilers.

So I just beat
Daharka(?) and boarded the elevator.
Was that the point of no return or can I still warp back to the main fields? I saved it immediatly under a new save if it was, but I see there is missions in
Oerba
So I was assuming I haven't reached the point of no return just yet. Anyone know?

Volcynika

scotcheggz said:
Possible chapter 11 spoilers.

So I just beat
Daharka(?) and boarded the elevator.
Was that the point of no return or can I still warp back to the main fields? I saved it immediatly under a new save if it was, but I see there is missions in
Oerba
So I was assuming I haven't reached the point of no return just yet. Anyone know?

Not the point of no return yet. There's actually a mission at the top of the tower that's a teleporter. You can go to Oerba without worrying about hitting a point where you can't go back. You decide when you finish Ch 11.

2dgvy1t.jpg
k2ka3k.jpg

I like Fang's outfit because its a futuristic sari :D

edgefusion

Ponn01 said:

Is Fang and Vanille
a couple?

I think they're
related, hot incest lesbian scene for FFXIII-2?

Did Rygdea
get turned into a cie-th? :(

Dead

well not really...yet
cosmicblizzard said:
Developed or not,
there will ALWAYS be satisfaction in taking down a high ranking officer in a military, especially when it's a superior officer. Let's not forget the fact she was hyped up as "Sephrothina" prior to release and the fact you don't get to fight her at all is disappointing.
I have no idea about any of the pre-release hype, never read or even seen anything about the character prior to playing. I'm just going off whats presented in the game.

edgefusion said:
I think they're
related, hot incest lesbian scene for FFXIII-2?
Their last names are where they are from, they aren't related.

squall211

Volcynika said:
I think it's just at one point in time you had it in your inventory. But I don't have the trophy so I have no idea. And there's no way of tracking it that I can see.

I doubt there's a way of tracking it, but I'm sure there will be a list on Gamefaqs sooner or later if there isn't one already.

Hyunkel6

Volcynika said:
Not the point of no return yet. There's actually a mission at the top of the tower that's a teleporter. You can go to Oerba without worrying about hitting a point where you can't go back. You decide when you finish Ch 11.
Does the game warn you when you are about to enter the point of no return?

Cornbread78

Volcynika said:

Thank you!

Damn, that is a pain, I can see it now. I'll be missing one secret potion that is hidden in a random spot.... great!

Volcynika

Hyunkel6 said:

Yes, but (this isn't plot spoilers at all, but it's just more of 'point of no return' reference)
You can choose to go back to Ch11/12 areas prior to the last boss

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyunkel6 said:

Naw, but it's fairly obvious that taking a particular action will start chapter 12. You'll know when you get there.

deathberry

Neo Member
Guys I'm on chapter 13 and have technical question for upgrading weapons and accessories. Light's Gunblade and Seraph's Crown (accessory) are both at max level with a * next to them. I have many catalysts and purchased those I didn't have from The Motherlode, but none of them are usable for upgrading starred items at max level.

Am I missing some shop or something?

scotcheggz

Volcynika said:

Excellent thanks very much. I tried that mission, but got spanked. I'm going to pass on it for now :(

Peff

Cornbread78 said:
Thank you!

Damn, that is a pain, I can see it now. I'll be missing one secret potion that is hidden in a random spot.... great!

Uhm, it's not just items from treasures (you don't NEED those, in fact), it means you have to have had every single weapon, accesory and items.

Yes. That includes every upgrade but the weapon tier 3.

Volcynika

Peff said:
Uhm, it's not just items from treasures (you don't NEED those, in fact), it means you have to have had every single weapon, accesory and items.

Yes. That includes every upgrade but the weapon tier 3.

Yeah, I'm incredibly glad each weapon's final tier (of course having stat differences) is the same, that'd be a bitch if it wasn't :lol

survivor

Banned
Some question about one of the enemies in Chapter 6.
So when you first see the Scalebeasts, the game tells you to avoid them, and even the guide tells you to only fight one and avoid the rest. So I was like let's see what the fuzz is all about. After getting my ass kicked 2 times by being stubborn and not using the Medic, I beat the first Scalebeast. Then for the other 3, I just easily beat them by staggering them, Poison/Deshell, then just Rav/Com them.

So what I don't get is why did the game make a big deal about them when the only hard thing about them is having huge HP?

survivor said:
So when you first see the Scalebeasts, the game tells you to avoid them, and even the guide tells you to only fight one and avoid the rest. So I was like let's see what the fuzz is all about. After getting my ass kicked 2 times by being stubborn and not using the Medic, I beat the first Scalebeast. Then for the other 3, I just easily beat them by staggering them, Poison/Deshell, then just Rav/Com them.

So what I don't get is why did the game make a big deal about them when the only hard thing about them is having huge HP?
To warn lesser players?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
survivor said:

I imagine that's to teach you that you can run from enemies if you want to.

Llyranor

Alright, finally unlocked the full party and character-swapping in chap9! Yay! I'll be swapping around a lot and have to create new paradigms often.

DownLikeBCPowder said:
From the battle system (best yet) to the soundtrack (possibly the same??)
Yup!

Even the characters are decent/okay, though I can readily see why people would really hate them. But the characterization and intra-party interactions/confrontations have actually been not bad so far.

survivor

Banned
Scythesurge said:
To warn lesser players?
They should have put more warning with the Odin fight instead. That was just brutal.
firehawk12 said:
I imagine that's to teach you that you can run from enemies if you want to.
Yeah I guess so. But I would imagine players by now would have realized you can easily avoid enemies since it's not like they charge at you.

Davedough

survivor said:
They should have put more warning with the Odin fight instead. That was just brutal.

Yeah I guess so. But I would imagine players by now would have realized you can easily avoid enemies since it's not like they charge at you.

I dont agree. I didn't find the Odin fight hard at all.
Looking at the Gestalt gauge while fighting, I was able to see that when I healed, it went up exponentially. Turned on the Heal/Heal Paradigm and dat ass...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
survivor said:

You did better than most. I had a maxed crystarium for pretty much each part of the game. Those things tore right through me... I was traumatized by them for a while too, I don't think I even attempted to fight one again until Chapter 11 (and by then, everything is a boss).

survivor

Banned
Davedough said:
I dont agree. I didn't find the Odin fight hard at all.
Looking at the Gestalt gauge while fighting, I was able to see that when I healed, it went up exponentially. Turned on the Heal/Heal Paradigm and dat ass...
The problem is I had no clue how to raise the Gestalt gauge so I was just hoping what I was doing was right. But seeing how I always switched back to Medic, the fight kinda just went along.
DY_nasty said:
You did better than most. I had a maxed crystarium for pretty much each part of the game. Those things tore right through me... I was traumatized by them for a while too, I don't think I even attempted to fight one again until Chapter 11 (and by then, everything is a boss).
You get to face them again? The only reason I wanted to fight them was because I was afraid if I ignored them, I wouldn't get their data and I would miss the opportunity to ever fight them again.

Davedough

survivor said:
You get to face them again? The only reason I wanted to fight them was because I was afraid if I ignored them, I wouldn't get their data and I would miss the opportunity to ever fight them again.

The only one to fight is guarding a Treasure Sphere on the 2nd ledge. The rest can be avoided for an easier part of that chapter. He's tougher because you cant pre-emptive attack him, so you gotta start with a zero stagger.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
survivor said:
The problem is I had no clue how to raise the Gestalt gauge so I was just hoping what I was doing was right. But seeing how I always switched back to Medic, the fight kinda just went along.

If you scan the mob, it'll tell you how to raise the gestalt gauge.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Davedough said:
The only one to fight is guarding a Treasure Sphere on the 2nd ledge. The rest can be avoided for an easier part of that chapter. He's tougher because you cant pre-emptive attack him, so you gotta start with a zero stagger.

ya, i skipped that. what was in that treasure chest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom