• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
DualShadow said:
I was thinking the same thing. So far I can only guess u need it to advance to the next level of the role.
Levels just grant extra bonuses.

The official guide has a table, ie for Commando

lv1 the Damage Boost is x2.0
lv2: x2.1
lv3: x2.2
lv4: x2.3
max: x2.5

Just a bit of difference indeed.

MrOctober

Banned
DualShadow said:
I was thinking the same thing. So far I can only guess u need it to advance to the next level of the role.

It gives you a stat bonus in a way that helps that role and it also gives the party a slightly lower increase as well during battles.

hateradio said:
Levels just grant extra bonuses.

The official guide has a table, ie for Commando

lv1 the Damage Boost is x2.0
lv2: x2.1
lv3: x2.2
lv4: x2.3
max: x2.5

Just a bit of difference indeed.

Would be nice if the game told you that, unless i missed it.

Anyways Thanks for the info :D

It seems to me like there's a massive break in the general power curve when you start going after some of the level A hunts. Like there are no 'intermediate' fights - just suddenly a bunch of stuff that'll absolutely crush you unless you've maxed out your three main roles and have excellent equipment, and then it'll just be a wicked hard fight. Sigh.

I also don't really know where I should start when it comes to farming for Trapezohedrons - the Summon/Death method on Adamantoises is nice sounding in theory until you realize that you need to get up to 3 TP between every single attempt - it gets pretty damn slow. Sigh. I've been loving the grind so far, but I have a feeling that getting stuff like the Growth Egg or Trapezohedrons is going to be a crazy amount of trouble.

survivor

Banned
Meier said:
Can anyone explain what raising a role's level does? I don't seem to notice a difference...is it just a part of working towards the achievement?
It increases the boost the character and its allies get. For example as a Ravager this is the boost you get for your Chain Boost

Level 1: +1.0%
Level 2: +1.5%
Level 3: +2.0%
Level 4: +2.5%
Max: +3.0%

Your allies boost is much smaller. It's 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3

This is the first RPG that I've really gotten into, I've always kind of avoided the genre like a plague my how gaming life- aside from Bioware stuff. What other SE games would you guys recommend? Lost Odyssy I heard is really good, and about SE only success before FF13 this console gen. And I've been eyeballing the new PS3 version of Star Ocean.

MrOctober

Banned
Yeah it's really a catch 22 getting traps, I need my Omega weapon to take down those fucking giants but I need to take down the giants to get the Omega weapons.

Square Triangle said:
This is the first RPG that I've really gotten into, I've always kind of avoided the genre like a plague my how gaming life- aside from Bioware stuff. What other SE games would you guys recommend? Lost Odyssy I heard is really good, and about SE only success before FF13 this console gen. And I've been eyeballing the new PS3 version of Star Ocean.

Lost Odyssey is pretty good but it's not SE, it's Mistwalker.

I can't recommend Star Ocean but I'd get some more opinions first. I'm biased because I absolutely hate the series.

Duki

Banned
Square Triangle said:

the best final fantasies are 6, 9 and 12.

go play them.

Pai Pai Master said:
Lost Odyssey is pretty good but it's not SE, it's Mistwalker.

I can't recommend Star Ocean but I'd get some more opinions first. I'm biased because I absolutely hate the series.

Shows how much I follow the genre :lol , and yeah I hear that Star Ocean is a love or hate series.

Duki said:

go play them.

I've got 7 off the PSN, a start right?

Duki said:

go play them.

Never played 6 unfortunately need to get to that. But I personally love FF7 its my favorite FF. FF13 is pretty high up the list for me as well now :D

Square Triangle said:
Shows how much I follow the genre :lol , and yeah I hear that Star Ocean is a love or hate series.

Great start imo! Play it when you can :D

burgerdog said:
Best place to farm scarletite? Need it to upgrade weapons.
The monsters very very early in the final dungeon (like, right at the entrance) and at the end of Chapter 12 drop Scarletites, and it helps to have a Collector's Catalog, of course.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yay! Beat all missions, now to 5-star the rest (6 of them).

The last boss was nowhere as troublesome as Emerald, Ultima, that ball from FFIX, Penance or Yiazmat.

Thank god.

Square Triangle said:

SO4 is a NO NO. This is coming from someone who actually played the first three games in the series.

burgerdog

badcrumble said:
The monsters very very early in the final dungeon (like, right at the entrance) and at the end of Chapter 12 drop Scarletites, and it helps to have a Collector's Catalog, of course.
Good stuff, thanks.

survivor

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
SO4 is a NO NO. This is coming from someone who actually played the first three games in the series.
I know SO4 has a terrible story and characters, but how is the gameplay and battle system? Or is the game terrible all around.

Zoe

So to get the 5-star trophy, do they all have to be 5-starred at the same time?

Titan missions T_T

Dresden

DualShadow said:
Never played 6 unfortunately need to get to that. But I personally love FF7 its my favorite FF. FF13 is pretty high up the list for me as well now :D

Great start imo! Play it when you can :D
6 is the second best Final Fantasy ever made, behind only the sublime Tactics. You need to go play those.

As for 12, I loved it to bits, even as the story slowly kept going without much happening at all.

Vect said:
'
Favourite stage in the entire game. <3 Though I disagree with the game having dull colours.

The Grand Prix area and the area after that are nice, otherwise the rest isnt, the enemy variety kills the level though.

My favorite people showed up! Falcie are no match for NORA!!! lol.

Nearing the end of chapter 12 I think. Glad to see
Team Nora again. I was beginning to miss those guys.

survivor said:
I know SO4 has a terrible story and characters, but how is the gameplay and battle system? Or is the game terrible all around.

Battle system isn't bad but the dungeons are painfully long. I beat it and I would say it definitely isn't worth it.

Dresden said:
6 is the second best Final Fantasy ever made, behind only the sublime Tactics. You need to go play those.

As for 12, I loved it to bits, even as the story slowly kept going without much happening at all.

I'll look into it after I finish FF13 and GoW3 :lol

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
Nearing the end of chapter 12 I think. Glad to see
Team Nora again. I was beginning to miss those guys.

Battle system isn't bad but the dungeons are painfully long. I beat it and I would say it definitely isn't worth it.
Not to mention the most horrific implementation of disc swapping I can remember. Only the International version is worth it and even then it's not worth much at all. What a terrible game, can't believe I bought it and beat it.

Dresden said:
Not to mention the most horrific implementation of disc swapping I can remember. Only the International version is worth it and even then it's not worth much at all. What a terrible game, can't believe I bought it and beat it.

Funny thing is I actually REALLY liked the twist at the end. I don't care how horribly presented it was, I love twists like that. That and the competent battle system is the only reason I would say the game isn't completely worthless.

It takes a very special person to enjoy most of that game and I'm plenty special as it is considering I've enjoyed legions of horrible JRPGs :lol

Duki

Banned
Square Triangle said:

great game with a pretty bad translation. lot of people love it to death, and for a lot of people it was their first ff so nah you cant go wrong with it. but a whole bunch of the game is retarded in retrospect, and its pretty much responsible for what ff became later, apart from 9 + 12. avoid its spinoffs and sequels like the plague.

its weird that ff6 has aged so much better than 7.

_Xenon_

Banned
survivor said:
The system is fine and you don't have to grind to advance the plot. The post game contents are awesome but a bit time consuming. Apart from cheesy cut scenes and jail bait characters it's a fine game. Although the quality of 2 console versions are quite identical, make sure to buy the PS3 version to avoid disc changing, which is VERY bad on 360.
cosmicblizzard said:
The length of main plot dungeons are pretty fine if you are familiar with JRPGs. The post game dungeons is another story though.

Rpgmonkey

Phew, just spent like three hours making a massive write-up about this game, but it was nice to get my thoughts out.

Might post it tomorrow (well, technically later today for me) after proofreading it a little, if it's appropriate to post it in this thread.

kamspy

I decided I hated this game before bought it, but I impulsed and bought it anyway.

Turns out I love it. Probably gonna end up being my favorite Final Fantasy. That's not saying much because I've only finished a few of em. It takes a fuck awesome jrpg to make me finish.

All the reasons I thought I hated this game are the reasons I'm loving it. The game's focus really makes it easy to play.

burgerdog

badcrumble said:
Found a chapter 11 mob that drops it! I just killed my first Adamanchelid and its rare drop is scarletite.

survivor said:

It's decent but disappointingly easy even on Chaos mode. Especially if you level HP Boost.. that just ruins the whole main game.

_Xenon_ said:
The length of main plot dungeons are pretty fine if you are familiar with JRPGs. The post game dungeons is another story though.

Really? I remember some of the earlier ones taking around 2 hours. JRPG is my favorite genre so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about. Maybe the crappy characters was affecting my ability to think.

I'm glad that I finally have the ability to choose my party members. It only took me 29 hours.:lol

I'm really loving everything about the game, though. Right now I'm experimenting around with using Lightning/Sazh/Vanille, and I'm finding that party pretty fun (lots of buffing and debuffing). I'll be messing around with pretty much every possible party formation, I think.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well that's enough for Crap Fantasy XIII for today! Oh how broken some things are in this game.

It's not crap btw, I'm just hyperboling because I suck at this game sometimes.

psy18

At chapter 11. Still loving this game.
Can't remember when the last time I can enjoy an RPG this much.
Finding a good paradigm for tough fights is so satisfying.

The OSTs are also amazing. <3 saber's edge, desperate struggle, will to fight.

I forgot to say this in my other post about chapter 12 but I really liked that you get to fight
Yaag. Even if it is a robot, I was afraid Dysley would one-shot him like Jihl. Also, thought the robot being named Proudclad was a nice homage to Proud Clod from FFVII.

Yoshichan

Y2Kev said:
I love you, yoshichan.
How could I have missed this?! &#9829; :(

Edit - Sweet JESUS, I just did 1.55mil with Fang in one hit :lol :lol That's almost Emerald Weapon in one hit! Final Fantasy games are getting ridiculous, haha!

Ryn

Chapter 11:
After retracing my steps back from right before you make the switch to chapter 12 all way way back from the tower to the open field with all the sidequests, spending a chunkton of hours actually doing the missions was actually pretty fun. It's a nice cool-down area (which I probably should have done before tackling the rest of chapter 11 and saved a lot of raging, but whatever) after wanting to chuck my controller through the tv screen after every boss. I just got the ability to ride chocobos <3

I'm still in shock how my opinion on this game completely 180'd. I started out hating it thinking its too easy..then gradually started to get harder, eventually handing my ass back to me on a silver platter on many occassions. Now I give this game pretty respectable credit. Turning out to be a pretty decent game, 40 hours and counting, still doing
side missions before chapter 12, which if I remember correctly is where you can't turn around and do more sidequesting?
and enjoying it.

For once I'm not trying to just blast through a game to beat it. Which is different, since the past few games I've played I've only done a single run through in as few sittings, and as fast as possible pretty much and then be done with it. Pretty much all I have had time/patience for. That and just playing shooters trying to 1CC, or FPSs.

I still need to figure out the
ultimate weapon (not sure if spoiler-tag needed or not)
junk though.

Yoshichan

Ryn said:
I still need to figure out the
ultimate weapon (not sure if spoiler-tag needed or not)
junk though.
Think about that once you've beaten the game. Ask your question here :)

Yoshichan

Ryn said:
After? Really?
Yeah, there's next to no point in upgrading to ultimate weapons before finishing the game (one weapon will pretty much cost you 1.5 million gil or 3.5 million depending on if you want to farm a Trap or if you want to buy it. It will take a billion years extra time and work.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
In chapter 13, doing some side quest. Still disappointed with how horrible the story is. Five years and they give us this shit. Tales of Vesperia is still my fav JRPG this gen.

desu

Yoshichan said:
Edit - Sweet JESUS, I just did 1.55mil with Fang in one hit :lol :lol That's almost Emerald Weapon in one hit! Final Fantasy games are getting ridiculous, haha!

Haha, its always fun once you hit these damage numbers :D, especially compared to the 100 dmg you did at the beginning of the game xD.

Yoshichan

desu said:
Haha, its always fun once you hit these damage numbers :D, especially compared to the 100 dmg you did at the beginning of the game xD.
And I even thought you hit way too much in the beginning too :lol (I'm used to JRPGs where you actually hit between 15-20 at first!).

Gotta love this game man. Gotta love it.

burgerdog

Quick question. Can I have the collector catalog and connoisseur accessories equipped at the same time without them off setting each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom