• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
badcrumble said:
The grinding for Trapezohedron in this game is making me miss lightning dodging.
:lol I'm sure it's not that bad. But then again, I was lucky getting one. Remember: no need to farm more than one for all the ultimate weapons. Upgrade Fangs Gae Bolg to Kains Lance (max), it will cost you around 1.6 million and then you should dismantle it. You'll get a bunch of stuff including three Trapezos. Repeat the process. Much cheaper and quicker.
burgerdog said:
Quick question. Can I have the collector catalog and connoisseur accessories equipped at the same time without them off setting each other.
Yes.

Yoshichan said:
:lol I'm sure it's not that bad. But then again, I was lucky getting one. Remember: no need to farm more than one for all the ultimate weapons. Upgrade Fangs Gae Bolg to Kains Lance (max), it will cost you around 1.6 million and then you should dismantle it. You'll get a bunch of stuff including three Trapezos. Repeat the process. Much cheaper and quicker.
But getting even one of them sucks because the Adamantoises are so slow to respawn :( Anyhow, even the money grind in this game is awfully slow (although, fortunately, killing Adamantoises is the best way to go about it - I can't imagine why you'd ever want to turn them all into Long Gui except for the pride of beating them)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
cosmicblizzard said:
Go play Disgaea (or any Nippon Ichi game really). 3 trillion damage ftw.
Yeah I've seen it, I even bought Disgaea 3 but I don't dare touching it after seeing that video :lol

Xevren

badcrumble said:
But getting even one of them sucks because the Adamantoises are so slow to respawn :( Anyhow, even the money grind in this game is awfully slow (although, fortunately, killing Adamantoises is the best way to go about it - I can't imagine why you'd ever want to turn them all into Long Gui except for the pride of beating them)

If you want to kill Adamantoises faster just go towards the end of Chapter 12 where one is walking around. Can just go a bit further in a door to have it respawn to kill it again. Don't have to travel far at all. Pretty sure Long Gui's are for the chapter 11 area so it won't be effected.

Yoshichan

badcrumble said:
Slow spawn o.o? Are we killing the same enemies? If I don't get my plat or trap, I load my save (so that I haven't wasted my TP) and they'll all have spawned again. That's what I do!

Alex

Voyevoda007 said:
In chapter 13, doing some side quest. Still disappointed with how horrible the story is. Five years and they give us this shit. Tales of Vesperia is still my fav JRPG this gen.

As if the story in Vesperia is any better though. :p I kind of wish they'd just give that series a rest for awhile, it's really getting old. Certainly ain't the Destiny heyday no more. The battle engine has lost any sheen and they're really just going through the same motions over and over. I think, for this round on consoles, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were the best, polarized, examples of traditional JRPGs though. (Especially BD since I was so dissapointed with DQ8)

For all of my ranting about XIII, I still think it's a fine title and one of the more interesting games on consoles this cycle, the difficulty level of the game being what it is would put the combat above most RPG's on it's damned own. =/ Back doing some post game hunting on Pulse now, really is the best part of the game.

Demons Souls is still this generations king of console games, easily, for me, still amazed that came from From Soft (even if I did like Kings Field) and is a console game at all, really. :lol

Dresden

Alex said:
As if the story in Vesperia is any better though. :p I kind of wish they'd just give that series a rest for awhile, it's really getting old. Certainly ain't the Destiny heyday no more. The battle engine has lost any sheen and they're really just going through the same motions over and over.

For all of my ranting about XIII, I still think it's a fine title and one of the better games this generation for me (and one of the better FF titles, really), the difficulty level of the game being what it is would put the combat above most RPG's on it's damned own. =/ Back doing some post game hunting on Pulse now, really is the best part of the game.

Demons Souls is still this generations king of console games, easily, for me, still amazed that came from From Soft (even if I did like Kings Field) and is a console game at all, really. :lol
/brofist

Yoshichan

Oh and let's be honest here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtZeVfNRHCc

If the haters don't like this prologue-theme, then I don't know what. IMO the best prologue in a FF game since VIII and VII. Really, really atmospheric.

No, I don't care about them changing the classic "dududududududududu *repeat*"-song.

Alex

Yoshichan said:
Oh and let's be honest here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtZeVfNRHCc

If the haters don't like this prologue-theme, then I don't know what. IMO the best prologue in a FF game since VIII and VII. Really, really atmospheric.

No, I don't care about them changing the classic "dududududududududu *repeat*"-song.

Do not care for it. But at least I'm not quite as bitchy about it, my friend rants about how terrible he thinks the music is almost every time I see him on MSN.

Anyhow, the only songs that really stuck with me in the game were the Pulse theme and the main battle theme. Both of those are pretty good.

I'm not big on simple atmospheric music, and I think the orchestral pieces have been total wastes, I'm also very displeased with the really, really awkward vocalizations in random songs. Not my style, personally.

Honestly got more mileage out of the soundtrack for FFXII, which I was also not overly fond of. But there were some good tracks, and while Sakimoto work is inherently atmospheric, it's more interesting than the norm.

But that's ok, I don't mind, something for everyone is OK with me, my darling will be the FF XIV soundtrack. I'm giddy for that shit.

Yoshichan

Alex said:
Honestly got more mileage out of the soundtrack for FFXII, which I was also not overly fond of. But there were some good tracks, and while Sakimoto work is inherently atmospheric, it's more interesting than the norm
Overall, FFXIIs OST beats the living shit out of FFXIII so I agree on that :D I just really, really like the prologue theme in this! And the boss theme is top notch, reminds me a lot of X's boss theme.

Also, XIV needs to have the same kind of music as XI. Very atmospheric, dark and amazing.
Nemesis556 said:
Jihl is so fucking hawt.
I'll say the same thing about Hope!

Edit - nevermind, just checked Wiki. He's 14... Jesus Christ.

Duki

Banned
yeah, both 12 and 13 (and i guess XI?) have been leaning away from the operatic, everything has its own fuck awesome theme method of doing ff soundtracks. going more for atmosphere. i thought ffxii did it a lot better.

hell, x started that really, but it had to zanarkand which is still p sweet.

i miss the old games' soundtracks though. 9's is still so amazing.

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Really? I thought he was 16 for some reason.

16 is too old to be Shota. Hell, 14 is bit too old as well.

As for the prologue , I like 13's, but 12's kicks the shit out of it.

Duki

Banned
Cep said:

oh yeah, that thing was fucking amazing. especially when the actual final fantasy theme kicks in. it's the best version of the theme, and its nowhere in the actual game's soundtrack, qq.

this motherfucker right here goddamn

Alex

Duki said:
yeah, both 12 and 13 (and i guess XI?) have been leaning away from the operatic, everything has its own fuck awesome theme method of doing ff soundtracks. going more for atmosphere. i thought ffxii did it a lot better.

hell, x started that really, but it had to zanarkand which is still p sweet.

i miss the old games' soundtracks though. 9's is still so amazing.

VI's and IX's are my favorites, love, love, love Uematsu. I am a nut for his music.

Yoshichan said:
Overall, FFXIIs OST beats the living shit out of FFXIII so I agree on that :D I just really, really like the prologue theme in this! And the boss theme is top notch, reminds me a lot of X's boss theme.

Also, XIV needs to have the same kind of music as XI. Very atmospheric, dark and amazing.

I'm expecting a lot more out of the soundtrack for XIV than XI, dont' get me wrong, I'm an old fan of XI, brilliant game design trapped under some archaic elements (along with the best story and world in the franchise by a landslide), but Mizuta is a little wonky of a composer. Lots of looping, really odd sounding synth (guy is great on a guitar though)

The Uematsu score for FFXIV should blow it away, all of the preview tracks have been godly. Happy!

The score in Final Fantasy XIII kind of annoyed me at the end, it's nerdy but I mean... the title theme for the franchise isn't in the game? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQwAxMiKHPo

Cep said:

Visually, I like 13's more but 12's is pretty much perfect in every other way. Hell, it might even be my favorite "main theme" in the series. How ironic.

Yoshichan

Duki said:
oh yeah, that thing was fucking amazing. especially when the actual final fantasy theme kicks in. it's the best version of the theme, and its nowhere in the actual game's soundtrack, qq.

this motherfucker right here goddamn
Will you call me a weirdo if I told you tears came out of my eyes when I popped in the disc and watched that prologue? When "Final Fantasy XII" hits the screen I burst out :lol Thinking back, damn was I hyped for that game!

Now that I'm close to the end, I decided to watch the launch trailer. Is it weird that I think My Hands actually fits REALLY well with the scenes shown in it?

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
The opening for FFXII was so stunning. It still looks pretty good.

Agreed. Funny enough, I maintain that the biggest problem the game had was that the music did not engage the player emotionally.

I mean, FFX has a ton of cheesy scenes that work only because the music is so good.

cosmicblizzard said:
Now that I'm close to the end, I decided to watch the launch trailer. Is it weird that I think My Hands actually fits REALLY well with the scenes shown in it?

I still have only played a little, but nothing can justify talking about putting on your makeup and nonsensically talking about hands.

Cep said:
I still have only played a little, but nothing can justify talking about putting on your makeup and nonsensically talking about hands.

Well I don't even mean the lyrics. Just the general melody flows very well with the visuals. The vocals could be edited out and I would still think it fits.

Edit: Though honestly, I've been tuning out the lyrics anyway. I don't even really know what the song is about. I just like her voice and the tune.

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Well I don't even mean the lyrics. Just the general melody flows very well with the visuals. The vocals could be edited out and I would still think it fits.

Edit: Though honestly, I've been tuning out the lyrics anyway. I don't even really know what the song is about. I just like her voice and the tune.

Yeah, I agree with this. The way the song crescendos near the end is very good.

Still would prefer they keep their vocals out of my localized FF.

I'm having a blast with this game, though I can't put my finger on why. I turned ffxii off when it was becoming apparent that I'd have to spent another two hours in those damn sand seas grinding my characters and yet in a way that's all this game is.

The battle system is so great I forget about it. A lot of complaints have been thrown about how long it takes before you get to choose your own squad but to me the reason it's stayed this fresh (I'm on chapter 7 after 12 hours) is because it keeps forcing you to think differently with different characters and different squad sizes. Though I will admit, I've just been forced into
snow and hope, and even with vengence I find it impossible to inflict much damage. I've found a good tactic is provoke, then change to com/med, though faster this is quite risky.

It would be nice to doss around a town for a little while, I agree to an extent with the idea that the game feels relentless because it rarely mixes things up.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wow.. I have little sympathy for complaints about the music. Music is something essentially subjective, so I don't blame people for not responding to it: but damn if in my head XIII isn't the most unique and wonderful thing ever. Never before have I seen such a wonderful blend of symphonic/techno/new age/pop.. not that all FF music should be like this, but it is a style this series was inevitably going to take on at some point. Cheers to Hamauzu for realizing it.

I think it's great.. Probably one of the best soundtracks in the series IMO (though this is a series of great soundtracks so it's hard to compare them.. I'd say it's right up there with my favs VI, VIII and yes, XII)

Yoshichan

Nexus Zero said:
It would be nice to doss around a town for a little while, I agree to an extent with the idea that the game feels relentless because it rarely mixes things up.
No spoilers if you've beaten chapter 3.
Them roaming in towns wouldn't make sense though since they're all l'cie and fugitives.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How much time spent on the first time through the big ass field is adequate enough guys ? Because it looks like I can fight here endlessly.

Yoshichan

chandoog said:
How much time spent on the first time through the big ass field is adequate enough guys ? Because it looks like I can fight here endlessly.
I did the first
C'ieth mission
and proceeded onto the main story immediately. I knew that shit had to wait until I beat the game :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, for a completely different take on the music - I don't know if it's because it's late or whatever, but that Leona Lewis song made me misty-eyed at the ending. I can't believe it. :lol

Alex

Yeah, music is super subjective, not worth really debating. Even if its not for me, the stuff heard out of XIV and Versus XIII really float my boat. Big fans of both Uematsu and Shimomura.

BocoDragon said:
Wow.. I have little sympathy for complaints about the music. Music is something essentially subjective, so I don't blame people for not responding to it: but damn if in my head XIII isn't the most unique and wonderful thing ever. Never before have I seen such a wonderful blend of symphonic/techno/new age/pop.. not that all FF music should be like this, but it is a style this series was inevitably going to take on at some point. Cheers to Hamauzu for realizing it.

I think it's great.. Probably one of the best soundtracks in the series IMO (though this is a series of great soundtracks so it's hard to compare them.. I'd say it's right up there with my favs VI, VIII and yes, XII)

Yeah, it's amazing. The only ones that I think have better OSTs are X and VIII. It's about equal to VII for me but that survives on nostalgia and the world map theme alone.

darkwings

Banned
Is it just me or are the enviroment very unimpressive? The character models are top notch, but the geometry and textures are not something that I expected from a nextgen FF game. Some areas does not look very far from FF12 in quality.

I really like XIII's soundtrack. I like it a lot. Hamauzu had some of the best ideas in the X soundtrack really, Junya Nakano didn't do a whole lot that stood out to me and Uematsu's traditional sounding music really stood out and not in a good way when combined with Hamauzu's and Nakano's work. Those of you pining for Uematsu can go play XIV and shut up about XIII's soundtrack, I honestly like it quite a bit more than Sakimoto's work in XII and it reminds me of the good parts of X's soundtrack.

darkwings said:
Is it just me or are the enviroment very unimpressive? The character models are top notch, but the geometry and textures are not something that I expected from a nextgen FF game. Some areas does not look very far from FF12 in quality.

I take it you haven't been to the Sunleth Waterscape yet.

Giolon

And the credits roll...wow, what a fucking fantastic game. and zOMG
The game logo is spoilerz lol!

Fuck the haters. I had a blast from begining to end. Great combat, good story, good characters and charaters that grow on you, and some great music! Now I'm ready for some post-game missions!

Final clock time: 58:08:28.

Dresden

Unknown Soldier said:
I really like XIII's soundtrack. I like it a lot. Hamauzu had some of the best ideas in the X soundtrack really, Junya Nakano didn't do a whole lot that stood out to me and Uematsu's traditional sounding music really stood out and not in a good way when combined with Hamauzu's and Nakano's work. Those of you pining for Uematsu can go play XIV and shut up about XIII's soundtrack, I honestly like it quite a bit more than Sakimoto's work in XII and it reminds me of the good parts of X's soundtrack.

I take it you haven't been to the Sunleth Waterscape yet.
Eh, it depends. Sunleth was amazing when you got onto the edge of the cliff and saw the miles upon miles of verdant green, but otherwise, it looked like something straight out of World of Warcraft.

Visually, the game really does bounce from amazing to mediocre, over and over.

Yoshichan said:
Slow spawn o.o? Are we killing the same enemies? If I don't get my plat or trap, I load my save (so that I haven't wasted my TP) and they'll all have spawned again. That's what I do!
I suppose the best way of going about it would be to purchase one Ethersol with every Platinum Ingot and save the rest, and yes, I reload if I don't get any.

BocoDragon

darkwings said:
Some of the textures are garbage... mostly Pulse grass textures (bad ground textures seem very FF ironically)... But some of the environments have jaw-dropping textures! I'm thinking the detail in the cities of Palompolom + Natilus, the Palamecia, the Whitewood, etc.

If it's brown or green ground texture, though, I'm sure it looks assey.

I think the degree to which FF games are held up as a cutting edge graphics showcase is a little overblown anyway... FFX looked like ass compared to MGS2 which was released months earlier (in everything but facial animation). And back in the SNES and PS1 days, FF graphics were based around spritework or pre-rendered CG respectively, both art categories that have no bearing on today's best looking real-time polygonal games.

I'd say, though I agree with your concerns, FFXIII is actually the best looking FF at the time of its respective release.

Dresden said:
Eh, it depends. Sunleth was amazing when you got onto the edge of the cliff and saw the miles upon miles of verdant green, but otherwise, it looked like something straight out of World of Warcraft.

Wait, what? :lol

Welp, I just cheesed a Growth Egg because I'm a bad person. I suppose I'll quickly finish maxing out my main roles and make a decent dent in the secondary ones, then get back to the Trapezahedron grind.

Styles

Giolon said:
And the credits roll...wow, what a fucking fantastic game. and zOMG
The game logo is spoilerz lol!

Fuck the haters. I had a blast from begining to end. Great combat, good story, good characters and charaters that grow on you, and some great music! Now I'm ready for some post-game missions!

Final clock time: 58:08:28.

Same. But the difference is I like the whole OST.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One bad thing about the graphics - the fingers in the in game engine look like bad polygons. Everytime they do a close up on someone's hand, it just looks like a hand out of an N64 game. That probably broke the illusion more than the stilted animations that they used.

BocoDragon

firehawk12 said:
One bad thing about the graphics - the fingers in the in game engine look like bad polygons. Everytime they do a close up on someone's hand, it just looks like a hand out of an N64 game. That probably broke the illusion more than the stilted animations that they used.
Ironic for a game which chose "My Hands" as an anthem.

Alex

firehawk12 said:

Oh well, better than big blocks. At least you GET hands now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom