• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

smulzie

Neo Member
I finished fighting the Shiva Sisters about a week ago, having a hard time popping it back into the PS3. I know everyone's saying how great the combat system gets, but right now I find it incredibly boring. Can anyone point me to a youtube video showing how good the combat can be?

painey

just beat it.. the first final fantasy i've ever beaten in the same YEAR as I got it, let alone the same month.. thought the whole chapter 12 and 13 were a bit bollocks though.

ps WTF happened to gaf?!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in love with this game.

There, I said it. <3

F#A#Oo

Banned
Volcynika said:
Odd. All I had to do was talk to the statue on the Apex, then he unlocks an elevator. Ride that elevator down to the sixth tier, and activate another statue which then allows the main elevator to have access to all floors. The monster's description is he only comes out for music (and the elevator plays music as it rolls), so all I had to do to activate it was ride it from the apex to the ground floor completely, and it automatically activated.

Cheers that worked it was the staue at apex I didn't talk to...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
painey said:
just beat it.. the first final fantasy i've ever beaten in the same YEAR as I got it, let alone the same month.. thought the whole chapter 12 and 13 were a bit bollocks though.

ps WTF happened to gaf?!

New skin :p

Zoe

F#A#Oo said:
Didn't seem to work...is there something else I should be doing?

You probably didn't really ride all the way from the top. There's another statue you need to activate that wasn't necessary the first time through.

berserk_ftw said:
Can someone explain the Sentinel Paradigm to me? Because all Snow is doing is blocking, he doesn't counter anything.

The Vengance ability counter attacks.

However, the whole idea of the Sentinel role is to be a damage sponge.

vexvegaz

berserk_ftw said:
Can someone explain the Sentinel Paradigm to me? Because all Snow is doing is blocking, he doesn't counter anything.

all it does basically is to allow the enemies to concentrate on the character whose using sentinel at the time and allowing the others to concentrate on their task.

CruxisMana said:
The Vengance ability counter attacks.

However, the whole idea of the Sentinel role is to be a damage sponge.

So I always need to select it from the abilities menu?

vexvegaz said:
all it does basically is to allow the enemies to concentrate on the character whose using sentinel at the time and allowing the others to concentrate on their task.

At the moment he's with Hope in the group, and Hope sucks at dealing damage kinda. :lol
So I hoped that he would do the Vengeance ability automatically with Auto-battle, guess I have to select it then.

Mandoric

Banned
berserk_ftw said:
So I always need to select it from the abilities menu?

Putting the player as SEN is kind of silly, for obvious reasons. The AI will select it in situations where enemies have weak attacks, typically when a boss brings friends, so the SEN can wipe them out.

Wow, the Crystarium certainly eats CP up like nobodies business now. 6000-8000 a time. What role level is the max BTW? I'm heading for Lvl4 at the moment.

Yoshichan said:
No spoilers if you've beaten chapter 3.
Them roaming in towns wouldn't make sense though since they're all l'cie and fugitives.

I agree but that strikes me as a little bit chicken-and-egg, ie did they really say "hey guys, guess what this means? No towns!". Also as little sense as it makes, it doesn't matter; it is still to the detriment of the pacing.

Alex

Nexus Zero said:
I agree but that strikes me as a little bit chicken-and-egg, ie did they really say "hey guys, guess what this means? No towns!". Also as little sense as it makes, it doesn't matter; it is still to the detriment of the pacing.

There's also several different things they could've done to improve pacing and flow and the game on the whole without even reaching to towns if they had just better laid out their game.

A lot of the existing content is just used very oddly, it's kind of sad to finish it all up and think back how it would've felt better with this or that done to the scenario or direction.

Almost everyone here has something to say on the matter, I mean usually people have complaints with a game, it's only natural, nothing is perfect. However with that they're usually just all around complaints, in the case of XIII a lot of it is shouted directorial advice.

Toriyama really needs to be demoted back to what he was prior to FFX-2. Just get Hiroyuki Ito in there to direct them all, clearly!

I dont understand the staff for these games at all though, really. Looking at the Wiki's, FFXIII had FOUR writers? Really? Isn't that kind of a clusterfuck when the best regarded games in the franchise usually have 1-2, often just spurring from the director?

Jrmint

Katana_Strikes said:
Wow, the Crystarium certainly eats CP up like nobodies business now. 6000-8000 a time. What role level is the max BTW? I'm heading for Lvl4 at the moment.
Role Level 5 is the max. And it is quite a bit more than the part you are on too.

squall211

Watching the cutscene at the end of chapter 10 (or was it the beginning of ch 11) when you
enter Gran Pulse
was absolutely mind blowing.

To anyone who knows , are you able to fight (ch. 11 spoiler)
that huge monster that scoops up the Adamantoise and eats it
?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I think I'm in Chapter 8
Sahz and Vanille are at the amusement park, the rest are all together
and I'm not clear on why
Sahz' son is considered a Cocoon l'Cie specifically and not a Pulse l'Cie?

don't know if I missed something or it's cleared up later...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
levious said:
I think I'm in Chapter 8
Sahz and Vanille are at the amusement park, the rest are all together
and I'm not clear on why
Sahz' son is considered a Cocoon l'Cie specifically and not a Pulse l'Cie?

don't know if I missed something or it's cleared up later...

He was made a
l'Cie by a Cocoon Fal'Cie, the power plant Fal'Cie. It was reacting to the presence of Vanille and Fang, who are Pulse l'Cies.

Bleagh, I'm not a fan of the terminology in this game.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
luxarific said:
He was made a
l'Cie by a Cocoon Fal'Cie, the power plant Fal'Cie. It was reacting to the presence of Vanille and Fang, who are Pulse l'Cies.

Bleagh, I'm not a fan of the terminology in this game.

ah ok
I thought the cutscene showing Vanille holding the kid's hand was implying that she was the one who did it, and then her conversation with fang on at day 7 or something I thought she said that she didn't feel right doing it to a kid or something.

thanks for fixing my spoiler :)

F#A#Oo

Banned
Did I miss something in the story?

I just finished chapter 11 and at the start and end of the fight their talking about Orphan? Who or what is Orphan? I didn't see this mentioned prior and in the ch.11 cut-scenes their talking about it as if they referenced it prior... :?

F#A#Oo

Banned
levious said:
ah ok
I thought the cutscene showing Vanille holding the kid's hand was implying that she was the one who did it, and then her conversation with fang on at day 7 or something I thought she said that she didn't feel right doing it to a kid or something.

Wait...that's not how it happened? WTF...seriously the story in FF13 is messed up I seriously doubt even the writers know what they have written...

Widge

Really liked the end of "big blue forest" boss. Had a real ebb and flow between Dual-Casting, Super Soldier and War & Peace rhythm going, with a small period of hesitation causing a good flurry of panic ("oh god, I could be wiped out here!"). Liked the fact it took a decent effort to kill, even with launch sending the guy into orbit several times. Still greatly enjoying the game, can't believe how huge the "levels" are in this thing! The forest was an epic effort.

BJK

levious said:
ah ok

That was what I thought at first as well. They don't set things up terribly well, since I think at that point they had already shown
the conversation between Vanille and Fang talking about having turned a kid into a L'Cie...when it was really their presence that caused the Fal'Cie to 'activate' Dajh.

That's also why the L'Cie tatoo is different.

F#A#Oo said:
Did I miss something in the story?

I just finished chapter 11 and at the start and end of the fight their talking about Orphan? Who or what is Orphan? I didn't see this mentioned prior and in the ch.11 cut-scenes their talking about it as if they referenced it prior... :?
FFXIII doesn't have a very good story.
Read the datalog to get caught up - and yes, this is the first time it has really been mentioned.

Ponn

Banned
I've looked around but really haven't checked the datalogs but I have a question maybe someone knows.

Is there anything in the inventory system or datalog that tracks stats like what items/weap/acc/components you have collected, not currently own but have collected. Also anything that tracks your Marks and ratings on them? I haven't seen anything like that for either of those and if there isn't getting those achievements is going to suck.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
levious said:
ah ok

In a way
she (and Fang) -were- responsible for Sazh's becoming a l'Cie since it was their presence the Power Plant Fal'Cie was reacting to. I forget what she said in the Day 7 conversation -
I wish we could replay cutscenes ;_;

Scythesurge said:
It's really just not explained well, which is problem considering they refer to different things with the same word a lot.

I think the explanation is actually sufficient, but the similarity between the words l'Cie and Fal'Cie is confusing. Someone earlier in the thread referred to them as Prophets and Gods and that's much easier for my brain to process for some reason.
Cocoon Fal'Cie and Pulse Fal'Cie are warring Gods (who apparently want the same thing, the return of the Maker<--not sure about this bit, haven't finished the game) and their various l'Cie are Prophets.

I think
Orphan is Cocoon's Power Source and is, presumably, also a Fal'Cie, if I'm understanding things properly

Ponn

Banned
badcrumble said:
FFXIII doesn't have a very good story.
Read the datalog to get caught up - and yes, this is the first time it has really been mentioned.

No:lol Did people have mute on or totally blanked out on the boss fight for chapter 9 or what?? Turn subtitles on people, it will help during the exposition speeches..

Ponn01 said:
No:lol Did people have mute on or totally blanked out on the boss fight for chapter 9 or what?? Turn subtitles on people, it will help during the exposition speeches..
Right, I remember that now. The difference between the Ch9 and Ch11 exposition-fests is a bit of a blur, sorry.

Zoe

F#A#Oo said:
Wait...that's not how it happened? WTF...seriously the story in FF13 is messed up I seriously doubt even the writers know what they have written...

They know what they have written. You just need to go outside of the game (Episode Zero) to find that stuff out.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Ponn01 said:

They also mentioned
Eden in those cutscenes, as well, IIRC. Not sure what that was referring to. Cocoon as a whole? Or just a city in Cocoon? Or is it a city on Pulse?

Zoe

luxarific said:
They also mentioned
Eden in those cutscenes, as well, IIRC. Not sure what that was referring to. Cocoon as a whole? Or just a city in Cocoon? Or is it a city on Pulse?

Eden was mentioned way back in Ch 4. Lightning pointed at it.

edgefusion

luxarific said:
I think
Orphan is Cocoon's Power Source and is, presumably, also a Fal'Cie, if I'm understanding things properly

My understanding is that Orphan provides power to the fal'cie Eden which then distributes and manages that power.

Ponn

Banned
luxarific said:
They also mentioned

yea, what Zoe said.
Thats why she split off from Sazh and Vanille to begin with, she was heading to Eden to destroy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom