• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiien

Hey guys, just realized something randomly, and someone may have said this before, but since I haven't seen it yet (chapter 11 tips/spoiler):

When doing the
Chocobo item finding sidequest in the Pulse "Calm Lands", the item is always in a brown dirt patch, never in the grass. So when wandering around and you get the exclamation point, as you watch it bounce more frequently, watch out for dirt patches and head for those. Makes it a MILLION times easier to find them.

Also, in case people didn't know, but I read somewhere that there are 20 different possible items to get from this little item finding thing, and you can get them any number of times, but only five will be on the field during any one riding session. After you find all five (or even if you don't), you have to get off and get back on one of them to reset the five random items you can possibly find. Happy hunting! Also, this is a MUCH MUCH more stress-free way of obtaining those Tetradic Crowns/Tiaras, as opposed to doing the Mission 7 mark. I did tne Mission 7 mark maybe...60 times, easy, and got one drop, with the catalogs on. After using the Chocobo to walk randomly around looking for hunts and going from one end to the other, I've gotten two (among other goodies), and I wasn't even looking for them. Anecdotal, sure, but it was nice not doing the same shit over and over.

Edit: Wait, you know what, maybe you can't get them over and over. :T Not really sure anymore. Maybe someone knows better. I did notice I got certain items more than once though...

Kamille

I'm up to Chapter 10 now. I've loved most of the game so far. I really enjoy the battle system, it allows you to employ a lot of strategy. However, I did feel a bit burned out by all of the excessive battling in Chapter 9. Was completely tired of battling by the time I got to Chapter 10. Didn't feel like playing yesterday because of it, but picked it up again this morning and started having fun again.

Finally finished the game at 54 hours. The Final Boss took me about 6 tries to complete. Two of the attempts were cut off at like 30 minutes into the fight because it decides to use Doom :( (as if to insult me for taking an long period of time), finally on the last attempt Relentless Assault, Evened Odds, and Combat Clinic helped me defeat it in only 11 minutes (apparently the stupid target time was only 8 minutes?!), thats essentially a million damage per minute.

I missed it in the credits but who was Barthandulus's voice actor?

Now to try to get the platinum trophy, surprisingly at finishing it this time I had 42% of the trophies (counting the crysterium expansion and maxing three of the roles) once I loaded the file.

Toki767

Dedication Through Light said:
Finally finished the game at 54 hours. The Final Boss took me about 6 tries to complete. Two of the attempts were cut off at like 30 minutes into the fight because it decides to use Doom :( (as if to insult me for taking an long period of time), finally on the last attempt Relentless Assault, Evened Odds, and Combat Clinic helped me defeat it in only 11 minutes (apparently the stupid target time was only 8 minutes?!), thats essentially a million damage per minute.
Poison is your friend. It owns Orphan pretty badly.

Vamphuntr

edgefusion said:
Just got my growth egg, yay it's grinding time then down with an Adamantoise!

To grind at the adamantoise you really need around 15k HP. Otherwise their ground shake will kill you (or quake will). If your HP is low you should really grind at the Ochu pack instead. My crystariums is almost fully maxed and the adamantoise are really hard to defeat. Too bad they are only way to make money quickly.

So is there like a guide to Chapter 11?

Or maybe someone could be so kind as to tell me how and when I get a
chocobo and/or a growth egg?

And should I buy the collector's catalog now? I have the cash.

Vamphuntr

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

for the chocobo, you have to complete mission 14 first. For the growth egg, it's mission 55. You cannot do mission 55 until vanille has learned the death spell and you must have at least 8000 HP otherwise you will get owned.

Chumly

Oooooooooooooooo my god. Im at the end of chapter 4 and this game just feels fucking painful so far. I feel like you just auto attack everything and maybe switch up Paradigm every now and then.

Vamphuntr said:
for the chocobo, you have to complete mission 14 first. For the growth egg, it's mission 55. You cannot do mission 55 until vanille has learned the death spell and you must have at least 8000 HP otherwise you will get owned.

Thanks for the tips!

Toki767

Chumly said:
Oooooooooooooooo my god. Im at the end of chapter 4 and this game just feels fucking painful so far. I feel like you just auto attack everything and maybe switch up Paradigm every now and then.
To be fair auto-battle is a big time saver in a battle system like this. If you were to manually select actions your bar would probably be sitting filled up waiting for you to hurry up and choose. :lol

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I never once used the auto-battle option. Ever. Why would I want the game to play for me? Maybe if you're an RPG noob, but any vets out there using it is really a shame.

Alex

I only use it if I need something to happen instantly, otherwise abilities or repeat are what I use. The game makes a lot of iffy decisions if you keep choosing auto, like it can match up elemental properties, but it prioritizes funny, has weird triggers for when AOE is a good idea and doesn't seem to read your stats overly well.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Lost Fragment said:
Hope's mom is a milf.

Also, did the game ever address
What happened to his dad after he got party vanned?

Nope, and that is the biggest weakness of the game in my opinion. Character development just kind of stopped around chapter 10, and the ending was brief.

Vamphuntr

worldrevolution said:
I never once used the auto-battle option. Ever. Why would I want the game to play for me? Maybe if you're an RPG noob, but any vets out there using it is really a shame.

That really depends on the role you are playing. For commandos, it doesn't matter. They will either chain ruin or attack depending on the ennemies. Why press attack x 5 when you can press only once? For Ravager it doesn't matter much either. The AI will chain the spell corresponding to the ennemies weakness and will try to keep them launched in the air linking aero at the end. For SAB and SYN, sometimes it is better to choose yourself since you can choose in which order to cast buff and debuff. Some high tier mission are so hard that they require you to constantly switch paradigms and input command quickly.

Chumly

Toki767 said:
To be fair auto-battle is a big time saver in a battle system like this. If you were to manually select actions your bar would probably be sitting filled up waiting for you to hurry up and choose. :lol
I dont mind auto-battle at all but I feel like theres absolutely no customization with the game. I mean does it get better later in the game? With the Crystarium it doesnt feel like you actually make any decisions with it just max everything out.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

You can get that catalog at the Tower in that same chapter, so no real need to buy it.

aechris

Pancho said:
When do I get to access Gilgamesh Inc?

You get the access card when
you kill the bird at the Titan trials, I think it's E2.

worldrevolution said:

I use it a lot because 90% of the time I'd be choosing Fight/Fight/Fight/Fight or Fire/Fire/Fire/Fire anyway. I love it.

Gotta be close to the end of chapter 12 now. Just fought
Proudclad for the second time. So Yaag blows himself up, eh? Cliche but effective. Completely contrary to Jihl, I am 100% satisfied with how Yaag turned out.

Ok so whats the pattern to defeat the chap 10 boss, I see that he mimics kind of what you do but Im not sure what team to put together for him?

Garjon

I'm having a wee bit o' trouble on (Chapter 11 Spoiler)
Vanille's Eidolon fight. I know I'm supposed to use Saboteur moves, but every time the damn thing uses Quake and Pummel to kill either Vanille or Fang, even with Sentinel on. Any tips? Please?

Katana_Strikes said:
Gotta say Chap10 was boring as hell. Awful, generic, dull dungeon that just dragged on and on. Thankfully I'm outta there and into the open.
Definitely not the worst thing about that chapter.
Those stupid bird things that spam their paralysis move and do 700 damage with their normal attack are now my most hated enemy in any game

grumble

Is there any advantage to five-starring monster hunts (missions)? I'm playing a mission right now and need to know before I start to get too far into it.

Rpgmonkey

Read the datalog and done looking through it (might still be a big rant :p). Time to post my ramblings/review.

It's not really all that SPOILER-heavy despite the wall of text implying it may be, but I guess this should be a fair warning of SPOILERS.

I just felt like letting all of my thoughts on this game out, I don't really mind if no one reads all this. :/

Characters, story, and world

This is a game that focuses on the six playable characters above anything else in terms of the writing, and it shows. Everything is put on the backburner in comparison to the characters: the villains, the plot, and in some ways, the actual conflict itself. Whole chapters aren't really that dedicated to advancing the plot, but rather to advancing the characters. This leads to many of the "middle" chapters (2-8) being heavily focused on the characters and their experiences, not what's going on around them. To some extent, this never really changes, with a pretty small cast NPCs, villains that have about a page of dialogue then disappear, and several moments still dedicated to the character's and their actions and feelings rather than their goal. Though if you ask me, the characters were a strange cast, some good, some annoying, some just boring. I never really felt Final Fantasy games had a strong cast of characters outside of a few though, so eh.

I thought all of the the characters had their share of bad dialogue and annoying personality traits, hate it or love it. Lightning had some of the worst lines in the game if you ask me, even worse than Snow, with an even lamer personality that's somewhat made up for through her super kung-fu antics. Snow is the chummy guy, similar to what you'd see in an anime/manga for kids/teens, and he never really changes that trait into something more "realistic", much to my dismay. Vanille...is like a carbon-copy of the "sugar-rush girl with 'dark' hidden thoughts", though I admit she was less annoying than Snow at times. Sazh is my favorite character of the game, now one of my favorite FF characters, and the best of the cast in most aspects imo. Outside of the unnecessary fro, he had a somewhat natural personality, he's a pretty strong and likable character from the beginning to the end, and while he was the "comic relief", it was usually so tastefully spaced out Vanille and Snow feel more like joke characters than he does. Hope is a terrible character at the beginning, wimpy and whiny with a somewhat flawed obsession with revenge. As the game progresses, however, he develops into a stronger and more assertive character, and manages to outshine nearly everyone else in the cast. I thought Fang was kinda boring most of the time, and by the end I ended up feeling neither positive nor negative about her. The cast is certainly a good case of "your mileage may vary". Some people dislike characters that others like, and vice-versa.

The other characters of the game, including many of the antagonists, get little to no development at all, and it doesn't seem like they wanted you to know much about them in the first place. You can summarize nearly every non-playable character in about one or two sentences. There's never really a moment that the focus switches to an NPC character to strengthen their...character, and even though the playable characters interact with them, it still feels like you should be paying much more attention to the playable character(s) and not the person they're interacting with. Many of the NPCs only have about one lengthy scene, and you either never see them again or the next time they appear, they get a few lines then have nothing else to contribute.

As I said earlier, it feels like the story is put in the backseat in favor of the characters, and if you're trying to focus more on the progression of the plot a huge chunk of the game is going to fill like filler. Nearly all of the early chapters are dedicated to making the characters interact and develop, while nothing particularly new gets added to the plot these characters are all intertwined in. You progress from area to area, watching cutscene after cutscene after cutscene, and the characters change, reveal small details about themselves, etc., but you never really discover anything new about your goal (hell, you never really know what the heck your goal is in the first place) until you're several hours into the game. The early chapters feel designed to get you acquainted with the characters, so when they actually start doing stuff, you might actually care.

But when the plot moves, it moves fast. Terms are shot right at you in quick sucession, characters already know each other before they meet within the game's series of events, and/or everybody's already running around kicking ass, leaving the player to have catch up and figure out what the hell is going on. It's as if you've been thrown right in the middle of a Sci-Fi action film. The characters already know about the several things they encounter while the player doesn't, which probably causes a good chunk of what could have been the "story" to have already been told before you ever even finished the opening cinematic, and forcing you to read the datalog to get anything out of the weird terms they toss around constantly.

The pacing of the story jumps all over the place however, due to the way they did things. You get a TON of exposition thrown at you, then it's nothing for hours, then another huge clump of it gets jammed in your face, then nothing once again, then another big piece jumps at you, then the game's over. It causes a strange sequence of events where sometimes you never really know if this person you meet or the things you do are really going to have a great impact on the plot in the end. I ended up feeling like nothing really happened by the end of game, like I never experienced much despite the amount of time I put into it. It's a similar feeling XII gave me, to be honest.

As for the world of Final Fantasy XIII, it's pretty well-realized. There's lot of small details that can be explained through the datalog. Cocoon and Pulse feel like two different places, with their own distinct traits. My biggest problem: you read more than you experience. You hear about all these objects, people, and locations, and you experience with them is either extremely limited or non-existent. It was kind of a turnoff because I'm not really getting supplementary data on something from the datalog to make something of interest a bit more detailed like these codex/journal-type things usually do, that pretty much is all the main data I get on it.

Graphics, music, and presentation

This game looks good. There's honestly not a lot to say here aside from a few aspects looking pretty weak (the ever-so-popular grass texture in Pulse discussion, for example). They animate pretty well, though maybe too exaggerated and floaty in some cases. The CG's bright and vibrant, and mostly used at all the points where it'd have the maximum possible impact. It was nice to just take a look around and examine your surroundings in a few areas. Though sometimes I thought the art-direction could be all over the place, most of the character designs feel out of place with each other, and though it might have been due to the structure, many areas on Cocoon didn't feel cohesive at all.

Which reminds me, the camera in this game is pretty damn bad. For some reason(s) that I'll never understand, they decided to combine a fixed camera with a controllable camera. This results in the game being an ~40 hour battle between you and game over who should be able to see anything. This ends up causing some annoying enemy encounters, and/or just made navigation in general difficult. Pick one style please, don't try to combine both.

Much of the music in this game blends. Personally it ends up being both a bad and good thing because I end up forgetting there was music playing in the first place and it makes it harder to find anything about the soundtrack memorable, but I also get some tracks that make for absolutely wonderful background music. The vocals in a number of the songs are interesting, just make it harder for most of them to be memorable and stick in my mind, but the remixes of some tracks are pretty awesome. The battle tracks are good, and I absolutely love every single character theme. Also gonna take this chance to rage about the victory fanfare, which I find to be a really boring track, and I don't even care about the lack of the classic one.

The game has a pretty good cast of voice actors. I consider no one aside from Vanille to really be "bad" (though maybe "annoying" is a better word in this case), and thought the best work came from Sazh, Hope, and despite the dialogue, Snow's voice actors. The only lines I thought were particularly strange were the voice clips during battle, particularly the grunts and screams, from Lightning's old lady squeal, Fang's whoops and growls, and Vanille's moans of sexual pleasure.

Also, I'm going to randomly say that the font is pretty good. It's at a fairly bearable size, and pretty attractive to look at. There's a lot of RPGs (games in general?) this gen with fonts that are pointlessly small and aren't even that nice to look at, so Tales of Vesperia and Final Fantasy XIII take the cake so far for fonts that are adjustable and/or already look okay. The menus are also pretty attractive, with a minimalistic but stylish look that really impresses.

Gameplay and combat

I consider this to be the meat and bones of Final Fantasy XIII (well, I consider it to be so in most games really), and it's where I see the most of the flaws and good ideas in this game.

I'm gonna start with the linearity. Personally, I don't mind if a game, even an RPG, is linear, I had fun with X afterall. The problem is, they don't do anything to make up for the linearity and even take advantage of it. There's a consistent "cutscene->move forward->battle->move forward->battle->move forward->cutscene->boss->end of chapter" format (oh wait, every now and then you take an alternate path to a dead end with a treasure sphere with junk in it), and they do almost nothing to make that less monotonous. X wasn't exactly a great example of good level design here, but that's what makes the fact that there's no real improvement so disappointing in my eyes. There's no real down time, no ability to backtrack out of this area to do something else, no sidequests, and only one part that kinda did something new to the format. You just push forward, finding and opening a treasure sphere every few minutes. You're even forced to use the leader/party they want you to use until later, which makes the experience feel even more structured into a particular format that you can't really escape from.

They could've just made a special story minigame using the Eidolons, and it would've have made things less monotonous and provided you didn't need a perfect score or something, they might even be fun. It would've been interesting to have an Odin minigame like the motorcycle chase in FFVII, a race against the PSICOM soldiers on airbikes using Shiva, and driving Brunhyldr through the crazy and fun areas of Nautilus.

Then after about 15-20 hours of this format, the game drops the Pulse bomb on you. This place is pretty big, at least in comparison to anything you've seen in Cocoon, and there's a large number of place to go and monsters to fight, some appropriate right after arrival, some not so much. The problem is that game doesn't really ease you into this at all, which is kinda overwhelming at the amount of stuff they can now do (or at least do more easily).

In many previous FFs, they eased you into the increasing freedom, as you obtained things like canoes, chocobos, and boats, which allowed you to access places you couldn't before. This all comes before you eventually obtain your ultimate mode of transportation, the airship, and you now have free reign to go almost anywhere you want and do almost whatever you want. The player usually isn't too overwhelmed by this, because they were already accustomed to gaining increased freedom after getting other modes of transportation.

Going to Pulse in XIII is like doing the opening scene of FFVI, then being given an airship right afterwards and the freedom to do whatever you choose (I would compare it to getting the airship in X, but it just doesn't fit, as X had more backtracking than going anywhere new). It's a lot to take in all at once, and now you'll probably want to (maybe even have to) spend time adjusting to this "free" new world, which messes up the pacing they established in the first 20 hours. It's an interesting format, but I don't really get what was going on when they put all that together because of how basically jumps from one to the next in an instant.

Jumping from the linearity, I'm going to the Crystarium system. Basically, it doesn't seem like much but a really simplified and even more streamlined Sphere Grid. You get Crystogen Points, pick a role, and use the points to progress a character to their next stat boost, ability, or other bonus within that role, in a very boring path with no interesting branches or deviations. Always came off like a generic leveling system that got stretched out. Your progression can go only go so far, with the Crystariums being limited, expanding only when you defeat certain bosses. There aren't that many abilities with unique properties, so along with the limitations, you aren't that open to pulling off any neat "tricks" with the Crystarium system. You get each character's three missing roles later on, which you would think would make for more interesting party setups, but the game makes it really difficult for you to go beyond each character's original three Crystariums, with it costing like two or three times as much to master as the character's original roles, with somewhat insignificant bonuses at that. It's a really dry progression system, and a terrible "customization" system.

And from the character growth is the weapon growth. This is easily the weirdest, and possibly the worst gameplay mechanic in the whole game to me. The explanation given to you when it's first unlocked is terrible, basically telling you to "throw junk together until the weapon/accessory levels up and gets stronger". Unless you have a bit of help, it's your job to just throw crap at the wall until something sticks. Even in the post-game, it never got interesting to me.

And the two above details come together within the Paradigm and Active Time Battle system, which in my book is easily the most polished aspect of the entire game, even though it still has issues. The system is fast, and basically breaks up the ATB bar seen in IV-IX, X-2, and XII into several segments, with an action (or actions) corresponding to those segments. This redesign helps the the combat fight against the occasional down-time that showed up in those games, with something almost always happening during a battle. This keeps combat active and helps to retain your interest, which is nice. The Paradigm Shift system is fun, being a lot like the Dress Sphere system of X-2, which I liked a lot, and the idea is made easier to understand and use in this game. Every now and then you'll be switching them a lot, and changing your deck a lot, which keeps you on your toes sometimes. Though personally, I never really felt like the system made it so each player's gameplay experience can be very unique, like I would with Dress Spheres and other job systems. Also, the game has a retry option, which in the case of some fights is basically the same thing as a "run" option, but it's welcome nonetheless because it can be used on bosses too!

The bosses were the most enjoyable part of the game. The only ones I disliked were the Eidolon battles, because nearly all of them are nothing but trial and error. Most of them throw you into battle without warning, in many cases changing your party and Paradigm deck without even letting you adjust, and I don't even know why these fights are speed runs to the death. You basically keep dying and retrying until the winning strategy works, or until you find the winning strategy (which you keep retying until it works). Not very fun.

Now that I'm done with the things I thought were interesting and/or good, there are things I dislike. First of all, I really don't like if the leader is KO'd it's game over. I just don't like how when other party members being KO'd it's perfectly fine, but my character being KO'd apparently throws off the laws of the universe and I have to get Game Over before the universe implodes. Second, going along with the first thing, I don't like how one can't change the Leader mid-battle. I'm not asking for full party control, it's just that if someone's acting in a manner where I'd have an easier time if I were controlling them for a moment, I'd like to have that option, along with the option to have some amount of ability to adjust the AI.

The Missions of Pulse are an interesting aspect that was sorta nice to see return from FFXII, but it's pretty much the only sidequest to do just like in that game. I kinda miss talking to certain people, doing some kind of other sidequest, and/or visiting some secret area to find special weapons and other awesome

surprises. Also, the Marks in FFXII were pretty impersonal, but this takes it to another level. The people that are the stones have no names, their story is short and kinda hard to relate to or care about, and it's basically nothing but "this monster caused trouble, go to its location and kill it", with so far only one Mission requiring you to do something different to draw the Mark out. I found XII's hunts addictive, but I get burnt out on XIII's.

Overall, the gameplay is fun, but a lot of is too strict and feels designed to maintain a certain experience that you weren't really intended to deviate from. The game just ends up feeling really simplistic and straightforward about nearly everything, and the story/characters didn't fascinate me too much outside of Sazh. As I said before, I would have really liked a New Game+ that fully unlocks the Crystarium from the moment you can use it, lets you level all six roles the moment Crystariums are unlocked, decreases the insane CP cost for the extra three roles to something normal, increases the item drop rate, and lets you change your party and leader from the beginning. As it is, the game like zero replay value for me, with nothing to push me to touch this again after this first fun.

I'm not good at making numbered scores, but I think I'd give the game a 7.5/10. It's on the middle or bottom rung of my favorite FFs, it's not even in my top three (J)RPGs this generation, and I found myself pushing through pretty much because of the combat, which was beginning to wear thin by the end as well. But it was in a way addictive and I felt like I just had to go on, even if by the end I never felt like I could ever replay this game. What I ended up getting doesn't equate to worth a four year wait imo, but at least it wasn't outright bad.

Toki767

grumble said:
Is there any advantage to five-starring monster hunts (missions)? I'm playing a mission right now and need to know before I start to get too far into it.
You get a trophy for 5 starring all the missions I believe. Other than that, nope.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Lost Fragment said:

Lol at yourself all you want. It's the same in say Persona 4. As soon as I got each character I immediately turned off their AI. Why on earth would I let the game play for me? Sure in Persona 3 you have no choice, but in 4 or in this case 13 the choice is clear. Even for fightx6 and firex6 I wouldn't use auto battle.. not a fan of not being in control. Perhaps why I've never driven an automatic car in my life.

Vamphuntr

Garjon said:
Vanille's Eidolon fight. I know I'm supposed to use Saboteur moves, but every time the damn thing uses Quake and Pummel to kill either Vanille or Fang, even with Sentinel on. Any tips? Please?

Definitely not the worst thing about that chapter.
Those stupid bird things that spam their paralysis move and do 700 damage with their normal attack are now my most hated enemy in any game

Did you grind a bit? I had around 3000-3500HP with Vanille for that fight. Equip bangle that increase maximum HP. If he kills you in one combo you are too weak to fight him. Also make sure to use Aegisol and Fortisol before the battle. Saboteur ability doesn't always work on the first try.

WYWY

dreamer3kx said:
Ok so whats the pattern to defeat the chap 10 boss, I see that he mimics kind of what you do but Im not sure what team to put together for him?
I've found that twin Jammers work very well against that. Especially when the boss casts buffs. No need for a summon and can achieve 5 stars.

grumble

dreamer3kx said:

It's not too bad. I used Light/Sazh/Fang. Set up a couple of paradigms: MED/SYN/SEN, RAV/RAV/COM, COM/SYN/SAB, COM/RAV/COM. Start off with com/syn/sab, then one buffs/debuffs are on, use rav/rav/com to up the stagger meter. Once your health goes down, use med/syn/sen. When staggered, use com/rav/com.

After the boss is about halfway down, he starts using a powerful AOE attack (seraphic something). You'll need to keep your character's HP high at all times to handle this. Be very aggressive with the staggering, as when he's launched you can wail on him with no retaliation. Basically stay in med/syn/sen until you're at high hp, then use short bursts of rav/rav/com until he's staggered and kill him fast that way.

It's not too bad. Just have to be quick.

I use a lot of autobattle, since the paradigms are most of the battle system. I do use the ability bar a few times a battle for things like elemental charged blitz attacks on groups of weaker enemies, but the autobattle takes care of most of the boring micro bullshit.

Garjon

Vamphuntr said:
Did you grind a bit? I had around 3000-3500HP with Vanille for that fight. Equip bangle that increase maximum HP. If he kills you in one combo you are too weak to fight him. Also make sure to use Aegisol and Fortisol before the battle. Saboteur ability doesn't always work on the first try.
Wow, maybe I am underlevelled:lol I'll go back to an earlier save and start doing some missions. 4000 crystarium points is a lot for one ability :eek:
This chapter is waaay better than 10 also.

Garjon said:

You should have a MED/SEN set up. Start with SAB/COM and make sure to inflict Imperil, Deprotect, and Deshell. Remember that you only have 2 full actions until he attacks after charging up. Make sure to switch to MED/SEN so Fang can provoke and the quake should do less damage. Heal up then go RAV/COM. Repeat status ailment when necessary. Biggest hurdle is the doom timer.

Also, an HP accessory will probably be a good idea.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
worldrevolution said:
Lol at yourself all you want. It's the same in say Persona 4. As soon as I got each character I immediately turned off their AI. Why on earth would I let the game play for me? Sure in Persona 3 you have no choice, but in 4 or in this case 13 the choice is clear. Even for fightx6 and firex6 I wouldn't use auto battle.. not a fan of not being in control. Perhaps why I've never driven an automatic car in my life.
Do you also shit with the toilet seat up because it makes it more uncomfortable?

grumble said:
It's not too bad. I used Light/Sazh/Fang. Set up a couple of paradigms: MED/SYN/SEN, RAV/RAV/COM, COM/SYN/SAB, COM/RAV/COM. Start off with com/syn/sab, then one buffs/debuffs are on, use rav/rav/com to up the stagger meter. Once your health goes down, use med/syn/sen. When staggered, use com/rav/com.

After the boss is about halfway down, he starts using a powerful AOE attack (seraphic something). You'll need to keep your character's HP high at all times to handle this. Be very aggressive with the staggering, as when he's launched you can wail on him with no retaliation. Basically stay in med/syn/sen until you're at high hp, then use short bursts of rav/rav/com until he's staggered and kill him fast that way.

It's not too bad. Just have to be quick.

I use a lot of autobattle, since the paradigms are most of the battle system. I do use the ability bar a few times a battle for things like elemental charged blitz attacks on groups of weaker enemies, but the autobattle takes care of most of the boring micro bullshit.

Thanks, I really just went offensive on him, buffed up to the max and used a combo of
com//rav/rav and rav/rav/med, waxed him good, beat him in three minutes.

Garjon

marathonfool said:
You should have a MED/SEN set up. Start with SAB/COM and make sure to inflict Imperil, Deprotect, and Deshell. Remember that you only have 2 full actions until he attacks after charging up. Make sure to switch to MED/SEN so Fang can provoke and the quake should do less damage. Heal up then go RAV/COM. Repeat status ailment when necessary. Biggest hurdle is the doom timer.

Also, an HP accessory will probably be a good idea.
Thanks, will probably give both strategies a try in the morning. However, like the other fights, it seems
damage done is irrelevant. In fact, even reusing Sab moves puts the Gestalt up more than using Magic/physical.
Also, for the Chapter 10 boss
I simply used three ravagers to get his stagger meter up and then used Com/Rav/Com and finished him off before he even transformed. If you start to run out of health, use Combat Clinic to heal up quickly

Mandoric

Banned
grumble said:

A trophy requires some amount of 5-star clears. Hunts can be redone to improve your grade, though.

worldrevolution said:

I look at it the other way. If there's a halfway-worthwhile AI function, then using it increases the feeling that I'm playing as the leader rather than an omniscient entity. Leaving the others on AI control makes it feel more like they're individuals rather than bundles of stats (especially in Persona where each AI has a personality), and using auto-battle feels more like a smooth flow of battle where one subconsciously reacts, only focusing to deliver decisive blows (and taking a risk when you do).

Garjon said:
Thanks, will probably give both strategies a try in the morning. However, like the other fights, it seems
damage done is irrelevant. In fact, even reusing Sab moves puts the Gestalt up more than using Magic/physical.
Also, for the Chapter 10 boss
I simply used three ravagers to get his stagger meter up and then used Com/Rav/Com and finished him off before he even transformed. If you start to run out of health, use Combat Clinic to heal up quickly

Imperil should greatly increase the effectiveness of elemental magic attacks

Garjon

marathonfool said:
Imperil should greatly increase the effectiveness of elemental magic attacks
Oh of course, but
that's not what fills the gauge - I spent 3 tries to see if I could make the Ravager more effective, but the only thing that worked was Sab abilities =/

Garjon said:
Oh of course, but
that's not what fills the gauge - I spent 3 tries to see if I could make the Ravager more effective, but the only thing that worked was Sab abilities =/

It should fill the gauge as well. I think I used RAV and worked out, but if SAB fills it up faster, that would be a better idea.

Also, does anyone know the boost percentage of Power Surge?

Vamphuntr

Garjon said:
Oh of course, but

For every eidolon battle, use libra to see what will increase the gauge. It's usually accumulate chain bonus and some role specific stuff (heal, buff, debuff). Magic (RAV, SAB) is what increase chain bonus and is better than attacking. Make sure you use Aegisol and Fortisol everytime :) to get all the possible buff at the start of the battle and spam magic. Healing never increase the gauge much though.

jvalioli

worldrevolution said:
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
worldrevolution said:

The fuck o_O

I'm an expert

What is so difficult to comprehend? I am not a fan of letting the computer make decisions for me. I don't use auto battle in FF13, I don't use AI party members in Persona 4, I don't use wait mode with gambits in FF12, no tactics in Dragon Age, etc. As an analogy, I stated I don't like the idea of driving a car that shifts for me.

jiien

Mandoric said:
A trophy requires some amount of 5-star clears. Hunts can be redone to improve your grade, though.

Pretty sure the trophy requires that you five-star EVERY SINGLE hunt. :(

Oh, and as an addendum to my previous post about the (mid-Chapter 11 spoilers)
Chocobo side quest item hunting, you can actually get the same item over and over, so this is a much better way of getting Tetradic Tiaras and Crowns. In fact, items seems to keep appearing in the same spots, or very close. Hm...

kamspy said:
I decided I hated this game before bought it, but I impulsed and bought it anyway.

Turns out I love it. Probably gonna end up being my favorite Final Fantasy. That's not saying much because I've only finished a few of em. It takes a fuck awesome jrpg to make me finish.

All the reasons I thought I hated this game are the reasons I'm loving it. The game's focus really makes it easy to play.

This is totally me, except that I've finished every FF except V, III, and XII.

Btw, so I can BEAT the game and still play around in the NeoCalmLands? Or I have to
take a teleport before the last boss and leave the game "technically" unbeaten? I know someone said I can choose to go back before the last boss, but is it like ME2 where you can waltz around afterward?

robot

Probably been asked a dozen times, but has anyone moved away from auto-battle later on in the game? I kinda feel that it's almost impossible given the speed of the combat and the amount of paradigm shifting. Plus the computer will usually have a great lineup of attacks created.

I tried setting the battle speed to slow but it doesnt alter the target times so my ratings are always lower. Kinda lame.

robot said:
Probably been asked a dozen times, but has anyone moved away from auto-battle later on in the game? I kinda feel that it's almost impossible given the speed of the combat and the amount of paradigm shifting. Plus the computer will usually have a great lineup of attacks created.

It wouldnt be wise to do that. The only time I didnt use the autobattle was when one unlocks the "All-Out" on the crystarium, since when you select auto battle the characters never do that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom