• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

me either.. but i guess the tower boss, and the chapter 11 end boss just has so much HP.. that its kinda not that hard to see it casted on you.

LethaL ImpuLse said:
So has anyone else had trouble on Barthandelus
2nd fight, chapter 11 boss
? I think I've tried at least 20 times now and it's getting pretty frustrating. With a sentinel build I can get him to about a quarter of his HP and then he ends up casting doom on me. Then, yeah, it's all downhill from there.

I always take a more risky method of casting Haste (through Evened Odds), then going with a Relentless Assault, and then Combat Clinic when he uses Thanastonian Laughter. It was the only way I could get through his HP in under 20 minutes, which about the time in a fight he would use Doom, finished that fight in 14 minutes.

Toki767

Debuff him like mad. Evened Odds is definitely the way to go for that boss. Also don't forget that he takes half damage from elementals so make sure you have at least 2 Commandos to make the fight a bit shorter.

Dresden

Wait, sab can stagger better than rav? I just heard that right now, does it mean that instead of running Light/Vanille/Hope, I can run Fang/Vanille/Hope? I figure that I can just use double sab/rav instead of triple rav for fast stagger fillers.

jiien

FateBreaker said:
Can someone please answer my question? :( Reiteration: are the field items that boost your stamia, haste you, higher defense/attack, etc,etc, buyable in the stores? I can't see any, but it seems awfully weird that in ch 11 (which is where I'm at) I haven't found that option. Please tell me I'm blind, and then tell me which store they are at.

You don't get them till after chapter 11. Since I haven't left Gran Pulse yet, I can't give you details, but I know it's not till chapter 12 or 13. And it will be in its own store, I'm pretty sure.

Dresden said:
Wait, sab can stagger better than rav? I just heard that right now, does it mean that instead of running Light/Vanille/Hope, I can run Fang/Vanille/Hope? I figure that I can just use double sab/rav instead of triple rav for fast stagger fillers.

Wish A.I. controlled sabs knew that strategy and didn't stop doing things altogether.

I think this would be my favorite mainline (i.e. non-Tactics) FF if
1) the introduction of abilities was faster, much faster, making the beginning less boring
2) it had a job system instead of Sphere Grid Redux, and
3) it was all about Fang and Vanille kicking giant monster ass and hanging out with fellow hot ladies on Gran Pulse, with their better fashion sense than Cocoonians. And it could stand to be more difficult in the beginning, though being difficult at all is a nice refreshing change for a JRPG. In other words, I really dig the battle system, the way the peeps from Pulse are designed (quick, somebody tell Nomura to stop making modern/futuristic character designs!), the art direction and the music, and the rest I could take or leave, though the story has been serviceable so far for the kind of game this is. The battle system is at least four or five different kinds of fun, though.

The secret main character shit these games pull kind of pisses me off, though. It feels like a case of misleading marketing more than flawed game design. I wonder why Squeenix does that; are they afraid that people wouldn't buy these games if they knew the plot revolved around Ashe in 12 or
Vanille
in 13? I mean, for at least half of this game the character progression is done in such a way as to make the party feel more like an ensemble than anything else; Lightning is no more important than any other character in the game, really. It's just weird, with the box featuring her and only her.

Zoe said:
Serah's 18, Vanille's 19. Hope is the only underage character at 14.
See, this is the kind of thing they should put in the datalog. I was wondering how old Vanille was, given the constant references to her being a 'kid' and her not really looking like one at all, unlike Serah, who is clearly a 12 year old being passed off as an adult to make Snow seem less like a pedophile. (Note to Square: Doesn't work.)
I still can't figure out what her relationship with Fang is supposed to be, like if Fang is a motherly character, or her best friend, or if they're a couple or what. On second thought, I think I'll just fanwank that last one as being true. I don't know if this is at all spoilery, but people are sensitive!

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
3) it was all about Fang and Vanille kicking giant monster ass and hanging out with fellow hot ladies on Gran Pulse, with their better fashion sense than Cocoonians.
I love Vanille, but her fur boots are an affront to humanity.

Asides from that, agreed.

Toki767

The prospect of a prequel to FFXIII sounds mighty appealing. That said, it'd probably end up being on PSP like Crisis Core. :lol

Tideas

Banned
dreamer3kx said:
WTF, Im a good 24 hours in and still getting tutorials, love the game but this is ridiculous.

you can skip it? Shudn't u be glad? That there's still new things to keep it fresh?

Rpgmonkey

Toki767 said:
I don't know why everyone complains about Doom...I've never had a non-Eidolon boss cast it on me.

Until the the last boss.

The last boss is about as easy as the last Sephiroth fight and Yu Yevon though. :lol

Toki767

Rpgmonkey said:
The last boss is about as easy as the last Sephiroth fight and Yu Yevon though. :lol
I know, but that was the only time a boss used doom on me which is why I wasn't understanding where all these complaints about doom were coming from. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
neoism said:
sorry if it's been asked but I just seen this video(About the Auto Haste shoes), and was wondering way does he buy 4 accessories, and dismantle them, what is the purpose!

It's the equivalent of the "ultimate weapon" trick in FF12. You need to break 4 objects in order to get the shoes to spawn from dismantling the tiara. Or 3 if you are doing it with the crown (which, incidentally, just seem littered all over the place).

Dresden said:
I love Vanille, but her fur boots are an affront to humanity.

Asides from that, agreed.
I dislike the boots because they draw attention to themselves... like, there were moments in the game where I couldn't concentrate on anything else on screen but her stupid boots. But yeah... Gran Pulse obviously has much better fashion designers in general than Cocoon. Even if both worlds have a strange fixation on very short shorts.

I like Vanille too, I think she gets more interesting as the game goes on, and I even think her VA even gets gradually more tolerable. It probably helps that the game switches back and forth between different characters with a fair frequency for half the game, so that none of them ever really got enough screen time to get on my nerves. Hope did get really close, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
I dislike the boots because they draw attention to themselves... like, there were moments in the game where I couldn't concentrate on anything else on screen but her stupid boots. But yeah... Gran Pulse obviously has much better fashion designers in general than Cocoon. Even if both worlds have a strange fixation on very short shorts.

I like Vanille too, I think she gets more interesting as the game goes on, and I even think her VA even gets gradually more tolerable. It probably helps that the game switches back and forth between different characters with a fair frequency for half the game, so that none of them ever really got enough screen time to get on my nerves. Hope did get really close, though.

You know, people were complaining that she dominates the plot of the game but I never saw it. Even when the story was about her, it was always connected to either Sahz or Fang.

Toki767

firehawk12 said:
You know, people were complaining that she dominates the plot of the game but I never saw it. Even when the story was about her, it was always connected to either Sahz or Fang.
I think people only feel that she dominates the plot because she narrates the story and things are told to us from her perspective.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Almost finished with the game, only a bit left, nothing too challenging so far except for end of ch 11, but then I saw a strategy after I beat that ... could have saved half the time, oh well.

firehawk12 said:
Well, to me it seems like the game is
more or less Vanille and Fang's story, which everyone else gets involved with in their own various ways.
Though I'll admit that they took a great deal of care in FF13 in trying to give everyone in the party reasonable motivations for what they're doing and why they're there, contrary to most JRPGs where the characters often feel like they're hanging out in your party because the game designers told them to. In that respect, it definitely feels more like an ensemble piece than most.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Ugh at obligatory tower climbing. I'm officially tired of this game.
Although I'm powering through the thing and I'll likely be finished by tomorrow, there are points in the game that just feel exhausting, like chapter 9. If I were completing this game in a normal fashion I'd probably play it a max of 2-3 hours at a time.

KTallguy

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Although I'm powering through the thing and I'll likely be finished by tomorrow, there are points in the game that just feel exhausting, like chapter 9. If I were completing this game in a normal fashion I'd probably play it a max of 2-3 hours at a time.

Yea, I think it's best if you don't marathon this game. More fun that way.

KTallguy said:
Yeah, I hardly got to play this at all last week, even though it arrived in the mail last Wednesday, so I've been playing for about ten hours per day the past three days. Mostly because I have the week off. I love the game, but I really need a break from it. :lol Definitely not the ideal way to play this (or any) game, but what can you do...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Nose Master said:
Does a summon's final attack count towards the 100k+ damage on a single hit achievement?
Bahamut!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God I feel weird for not have played this game for 24 hours now O_O I drove around the country to find God of War 3 Trilogy Edition yesterday so I was damn tired when I got back home :lol BRB while I finish the game, then I'll come back here <3

Toki767

Yoshichan said:
God I feel weird for not have played this game for 24 hours now O_O I drove around the country to find God of War 3 Trilogy Edition yesterday so I was damn tired when I got back home :lol BRB while I finish the game, then I'll come back here <3
I rushed through the story in this game just to play God of War 3. :lol

Sad part is I was kind of burned out finishing the game today that I haven't started God of War 3 yet.

Zzoram

KTallguy said:

I've put 3 short sessions into Chapter 9 and I'm still not at the boss. This game doesn't make you feel like you've accomplished much if you play for less than an hour at a time.

FUCK the neverending final boss battle... please tell me the golden clock is the fucking end... i've really had enough of it at this time of night... they need to at least offer a save halfway through these tedious boss fights

Kinan

Damn, this game is beautiful. Excellent art plus high technical quality makes one of the prettiest pictures of this generation.

Kyoufu

dustytruly said:
FUCK the neverending final boss battle... please tell me the golden clock is the fucking end... i've really had enough of it at this time of night... they need to at least offer a save halfway through these tedious boss fights

The final boss battle is not long at all and if it is taking you a long time then you're doing it wrong. I posted a quick and easy strategy a few pages back which will get you the 5 star trophy.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The hate of radio has terminated FFXIII in under 44hrs, I did less "grinding" than in the other FF's, but I did usually extinguish most of the monsters in the levels... except last chapters. I only tried to CP farm for about 1:30 to 2 hours at most. In the end the basic strategy of Protect, Even The Odds, Restless Assault, something Clinic med/med/sen, and something com/com/rav worked for me and of course won them all.

Didn't max the spheres in the grid, ending was okay; 8/10. I'll say more later, I suppose.

Kyoufu said:
The final boss battle is not long at all and if it is taking you a long time then you're doing it wrong. I posted a quick and easy strategy a few pages back which will get you the 5 star trophy.
blah... i'm mostly talking about the lengthy cut scene in between... just beat the clock... it's done right? lol

leng jai

Kinan said:
Damn, this game is beautiful. Excellent art plus high technical quality makes one of the prettiest pictures of this generation.

It does look stunning the majority of the time, but it lacks the Uncharted 2 feel where literally every single thing you look at is meticulously detailed without any rough edges.

Toki767

There are so many stunning cutscenes in this game that the fact that there is no way to view them in the game is quite saddening.

Kyoufu said:
You can just skip the scene! You're done though.
woop!... thanks for the strategiessss!!

the game was pretty enjoyable but i'm glad i'm finished... i don't really wanna play it much more, i'm not too interested in perfecting it like previous FFs... ehh.. it ended nicely... but i was expecting more...

i dunno... lol it was alright

Toki767

dustytruly said:
the game was pretty enjoyable but i'm glad i'm finished... i don't really wanna play it much more, i'm not too interested in perfecting it like previous FFs... ehh.. it ended nicely... but i was expecting more...

i dunno... lol it was alright
I don't know if it's just me, but the ending seemed kind of....short? :lol

Firestorm

Yeesh, Chapter 7 boss. I had to go COM/SEN/MED for most of the battle :lol 11 minutes.

I really hate how most of the last 13 hours have been with only two characters at a time. The battle system is just so much more fun with three.

leng jai

Chapter 9 boss is beyond lame. Everytime I get near the end he just uses Destrudo and one shots my whole team. Have to go back and grind for more HP....zzzz

Firestorm said:
Yeesh, Chapter 7 boss. I had to go COM/SEN/MED for most of the battle :lol 11 minutes.

I really hate how most of the last 13 hours have been with only two characters at a time. The battle system is just so much more fun with three.
i found it so frustrating when i had to switch to 3 chars... i felt so comfortable with 2, it was easy to heal and focus damage... lol sounds lame but i really miss playing only 2 characters

MrOctober

Banned
The turning 1 Trap into 3 trick works only with Fang and Vanille's weapons by the way. You upgrade any of their weapons all the way to Nirvana for Vanille or Kain's Lance for Fang and then dismantle them and you end up with 3 traps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom