• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

jiien said:
Pretty sure the trophy requires that you five-star EVERY SINGLE hunt. :(

Oh, and as an addendum to my previous post about the (mid-Chapter 11 spoilers)
Chocobo side quest item hunting, you can actually get the same item over and over, so this is a much better way of getting Tetradic Tiaras and Crowns. In fact, items seems to keep appearing in the same spots, or very close. Hm...

Really?

Pretty sure the crown and tiara are a one time item like the ribbon. You will then get the plush doll, gold nugget, plume and feathers over and over

EDIT : yeah these are one time treasure http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/950899/58966

jvalioli

worldrevolution said:
What is so difficult to comprehend? I am not a fan of letting the computer make decisions for me. I don't use auto battle in FF13, I don't use AI party members in Persona 4, I don't use wait mode with gambits in FF12, no tactics in Dragon Age, etc. As an analogy, I stated I don't like the idea of driving a car that shifts for me.
Probably cause you would rather hit X several times to perform attackx5 rather than hitting X twice to do the same exact thing. Auto-battle doesn't really play the game for you, it just makes it quicker to select certain types of commands, especially when you're on a fast battle speed + haste. Also, no one uses AI in Persona 4, I don't understand why you think we're all big AI lovers.

Autobattle is really perfect in this game. It's not really autobattling, it's literally choosing what I would choose (essentially). The import and really groundbreaking thing is the paradigm system. Switching around through several paradigms is like the new "down, X, X," for cure, or attack, or what have you. Switching between "modes" in which those "modes" perform certain and set functions is really amazing.

I hated Gambits, I hate anything automated and I thougt I was going to loathe this system, but it's easily (and I mean easily) the most amazing FF battle system to date and I want to see more of it.

Auto battle is awful if you play as a Saboteur. Many times I would prefer a AOE attack instead of Attack/Ruin. The A.I. also mixes in together magic and physical elemental attacks for no reason.

If I played as a Medic or Sentinel, auto-battle is the way to go.

I prefer to use the Repeat command.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I spent the entire day doing missions and if there's one thing I've learned, its that Death is your best friend. :D

Pancho

Qurupancho
Well just finished the game..and although I had a great time, the last hours left quite a bad taste in my mouth. Never in my life have I wanted a game to end already but dammit, that final part really drags forever =/

DownLikeBCPowder said:
Autobattle is really perfect in this game. It's not really autobattling, it's literally choosing what I would choose (essentially). The import and really groundbreaking thing is the paradigm system. Switching around through several paradigms is like the new "down, X, X," for cure, or attack, or what have you. Switching between "modes" in which those "modes" perform certain and set functions is really amazing.

I hated Gambits, I hate anything automated and I thougt I was going to loathe this system, but it's easily (and I mean easily) the most amazing FF battle system to date and I want to see more of it.
Auto battle often chooses not what I want. I mean sure it can usually get the job done, but it's usually far from the best choices. It is faster, but I'd rather have the right strategy attacking in the long run than relying on auto battle. Good for beginners though.

Can someone please answer my question? :( Reiteration: are the field items that boost your stamia, haste you, higher defense/attack, etc,etc, buyable in the stores? I can't see any, but it seems awfully weird that in ch 11 (which is where I'm at) I haven't found that option. Please tell me I'm blind, and then tell me which store they are at.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So anyway, killed several adamantoises without using summon/death today, but I wasn't able to do it reliably enough for it to be more efficient than death spam. Taking his legs out is the easy part. Getting him to 999 stagger and killing him before he stands back up is the hard part, because for whatever reason he stands back up quicker when you don't use a summon to knock his legs out.

I've already hit the genji glove damage cap :lol

But yeah, just straight killing him is probably more efficient than death spam if you can do it reliably. I think I just need to level up some +str and physical resist gear.

robot said:
Probably been asked a dozen times, but has anyone moved away from auto-battle later on in the game? I kinda feel that it's almost impossible given the speed of the combat and the amount of paradigm shifting. Plus the computer will usually have a great lineup of attacks created.

I tried setting the battle speed to slow but it doesnt alter the target times so my ratings are always lower. Kinda lame.

The only times I've gone out of auto is to force a raise over cure, or force ruin over attack in certain situations that the combo bonus was dropping too fast and my commando wasn't doing anything about it. Also sometimes when, say, lightning is a ravager she will always choose elemental spells over standard attacks even if her str is through the roof and you're fighting against an enemy that is weak to physical so I bypass auto and spam one of the elemental strike abilities instead.

george_us

What the fucking Christ how the fuck do you beat
Cid?
Motherfucker takes 3/4ths of my health before I know what fucking hits me.

george_us said:
What the fucking Christ how the fuck do you beat
Cid
? Motherfucker takes 3/4ths of my health before I know what fucking hits me.

Make sure you have a sentinal, synergist, saboteur, medic. Hit him with relentless assault when you are buffed and high in health, switch to sentinal, synergist, medic when low on health. Switch to medic, saboteur and synergist when he is in "guard" or "healing" phase to rebuff yourself and try to debuff him as he buffs himself up.

As usual, as soon as you see a notification that some big ass move is coming switch to a role with sentinal and medics as soon as you can so hopefully you can survive it (like his ... ray or something? I already forgot... the one that does a lot of damage and blows all your buffs away).

I dunno... worked for me.

Pancho said:
Well just finished the game..and although I had a great time, the last hours left quite a bad taste in my mouth. Never in my life have I wanted a game to end already but dammit, that final part really drags forever =/

I have to agree with this statement; it was mainly just the enemies that they put in the final sections. Even entering a lot of the battles with Deceptisols made it seem to drag since some of the fights took upwards of 5 minutes. Vernal Mechas, The Sanctum Huntesses (enemy type), and Vampires/King Behemoths/Sanctum Behemoths/Proto Behemoths/Sacrifices/and those stupid Aquila Motorcycles.

Tideas

Banned
By geting rid of an oermap, they've definitely made this game al ot more accessible now. No more having to wander lost somewhere without knowing what to od.

Because nowaday, most ppl dont' have 50 hours to sit around. Sorry hardcore fans, but your days are numbered, and luckily, your opinions don't mean much anymore to companies

Toki767

Dedication Through Light said:
I have to agree with this statement; it was mainly just the enemies that they put in the final sections. Even entering a lot of the battles with Deceptisols made it seem to drag since some of the fights took upwards of 5 minutes. Vernal Mechas, The Sanctum Huntesses (enemy type), and Vampires/King Behemoths/Sanctum Behemoths/Proto Behemoths/Sacrifices/and those stupid Aquila Motorcycles.
I used deceptisols to run past them all, not to engage them in battle. :lol

Tideas said:
By geting rid of an oermap, they've definitely made this game al ot more accessible now. No more having to wander lost somewhere without knowing what to od.

Because nowaday, most ppl dont' have 50 hours to sit around. Sorry hardcore fans, but your days are numbered, and luckily, your opinions don't mean much anymore to companies

Later in the game the map gets quite a lot larger and you can wander around... but you still get the dummy gps arrow if you please.

Meier

worldrevolution said:
I never once used the auto-battle option. Ever. Why would I want the game to play for me? Maybe if you're an RPG noob, but any vets out there using it is really a shame.
WTF? This game would be a nightmare in this combat system without the auto battle. You're a nit.

Styles

Kagari said:
Yes the trophy requires a 5 star on all missions... which is why I don't want to do it.

Come on now. You can do Kagari! :p I've 5 stared 2/3 of the mission already. It's really not that hard, not even time consuming.

RPGCrazied

hey.. do those anti-doom accessories work on boss that use doom? If so, do they stack? It says resists doom 30%

Im getting sick of the end chapter 11 boss, got him a tad under halfway this time.. doom'd me again.

Im using sab, syn, med, sent.

RPGCrazied said:
hey.. do those anti-doom accessories work on boss that use doom? If so, do they stack? It says resists doom 30%

Im getting sick of the end chapter 11 boss, got him a tad under halfway this time.. doom'd me again.

Im using sab, syn, med, sent.

Doom is doom. The resistance accessories do stack to a point. Try it yourself and you see immediately the percentage increase.

Doom sucks.

RPGCrazied

nice! maybe if i can just resisit one of his dooms I can do it

i do not care about star rating on this one.. just would like to continue game.

RPGCrazied said:
nice! maybe if i can just resisit one of his dooms I can do it

i do not care about star rating on this one.. just would like to continue game.

Who cares about star ratings in general on bosses. Unless you continually retry trying different parties and strategies and accessories/weapons over and over again (or read guides) you can never get a good star rating on them.

The only thing I like about the star rating is that it gives me a gauge on how I'm doing in general and if I should grind a bit before continuing.

edgefusion

george_us said:
What the fucking Christ how the fuck do you beat Cid? Motherfucker takes 3/4ths of my health before I know what fucking hits me.

Someone has already replied quite adequately but realise that he attacks in waves separated by a long sequence of weak gun attacks. Just switch to two medics and a sentinel when he's doing his big attacks and you'll be fine.

RPGCrazied

I mean, Im way past that point.. but some ppl have yet to start.. and that character is sorta a big name

Id spoil tag that, but thats just me

OK, OK, let's play a game (a game only for people who are up to the last boss or have completed it). I am going to guess the last boss. OK. OK. Here I go:
Orphan. Am I right? Because that seems like what it's heading too, and I'm not sure if it makes a ton of sense at the moment. Will it make sense (if my guess is correct)?

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm pretty sure it is, you motherfuckers.

I'm not reading this fucking thread any more until I've finished the game. Fuck you.

It's not that big of a spoiler. Really, he wasn't a very major character anyway. In any case, I didn't even think of it when I quoted him... so I apologize.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
FateBreaker said:
OK, OK, let's play a game (a game only for people who are up to the last boss or have completed it). I am going to guess the last boss. OK. OK. Here I go:
Orphan. Am I right? Because that seems like what it's heading too, and I'm not sure if it makes a ton of sense at the moment. Will it make sense (if my guess is correct)?

Yes.

And not really.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Holy motherfucking HELL the bosses are hard in this game!!!
I just got to Orphan's Cradle and let me tell you, if they get any harder than both Proudclods I may just stop and read what happens! Mother FUCKER I hated that piece of shit! TWICE!!!

Zoe

Kagari said:
Yes the trophy requires a 5 star on all missions... which is why I don't want to do it.

I asked this before but got ignored. To get that trophy, does the last run of the mission have to be a 5 star?

That's really tough with the Titan bracket missions :(

RurouniZel said:
Holy motherfucking HELL the bosses are hard in this game!!!
I just got to Orphan's Cradle and let me tell you, if they get any harder than both Proudclods I may just stop and read what happens! Mother FUCKER I hated that piece of shit! TWICE!!!

lol that reminds me of what I thought was crazy: I hated the move I think it was Retailtory Assault. Haste and Combat Clinic was my best friend. Actually, the entirety of that chapter, I had to use Haste and like the five other status boosts to get through, their really helpful in that boss and the numerous enemies with over 1 millions HP.

Xux

Sazh's Blitz is pretty cool. Them robot monsters go down pretty quick using that.

Only in the Whitewood. Need to play some more.

So has anyone else had trouble on Barthandelus
2nd fight, chapter 11 boss
? I think I've tried at least 20 times now and it's getting pretty frustrating. With a sentinel build I can get him to about a quarter of his HP and then he ends up casting doom on me. Then, yeah, it's all downhill from there.

D23

worldrevolution said:
Lol at yourself all you want. It's the same in say Persona 4. As soon as I got each character I immediately turned off their AI. Why on earth would I let the game play for me? Sure in Persona 3 you have no choice, but in 4 or in this case 13 the choice is clear. Even for fightx6 and firex6 I wouldn't use auto battle.. not a fan of not being in control. Perhaps why I've never driven an automatic car in my life.

this is the dumbest thing i've read in this thread.. lmao :lol

RPGCrazied

LethaL ImpuLse said:
So has anyone else had trouble on Barthandelus
2nd fight, chapter 11 boss
? I think I've tried at least 20 times now and it's getting pretty frustrating. With a sentinel build I can get him to about a quarter of his HP and then he ends up casting doom on me. Then, yeah, it's all downhill from there.

I'm on him too.. dooms a bitch aint it? Im gonna try those doom accessories next.

jiggles

Banned
Right, I've started work on the marks in Chapter 11. Can I continue this later, or do I have to get all the sidequesting out of my system before advancing the story to Chapter 12?

jigglywiggly said:
Right, I've started work on the marks in Chapter 11. Can I continue this later, or do I have to get all the sidequesting out of my system before advancing the story to Chapter 12?

You can go back at the beginning of chapter 13.

B-Dex

So I'm trying to get all the best weapons for each character. It's been 3 days and only just 10mins ago had a 2nd Trap dropped. I ended up dismantling Vanille's just so I could get more. Now only Vanille and Hope are best weapon-less.

This is even with the rare drop acc. equipped :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Zoe said:
I asked this before but got ignored. To get that trophy, does the last run of the mission have to be a 5 star?

That's really tough with the Titan bracket missions :(

I believe so yes...

Toki767

I don't know why everyone complains about Doom...I've never had a non-Eidolon boss cast it on me.

Until the the last boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom