• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

Sorry if this has been asked before in this topic ( pretty sure it has at some point, but 10000 posts are alot to read through ).

But, is there anyway currently to get this game with japanese voices and english subtitles like you could with Lost Odyssey? Judging from trailers, the japanese voices are a lot better than the english voices.

Trickster said:
But, is there anyway currently to get this game with japanese voices and english subtitles like you could with Lost Odyssey? Judging from trailers, the japanese voices are a lot better than the english voices.

Nope.

Mandoric

Banned
Monroeski said:
Wasn't Barrett the only black guy in all of Final Fantasy VII? Seems to be a trend.

I noticed a black woman in chapter 12. Didn't really pay attention to the NPC design at all in areas with active monsters, there might be more design variety there too.

Scythian Empire said:
I'm stuck on Chapter 10
(Bahamut)

Any tips?

You'll do most of your gauge filling by eating his attacks(the combo) as a sentinel. Debuffing also works well.

I used SEN/COM/RAV, SAB/COM/MED, COM/RAV/RAV. In case of emergency I had COM/MED/MED but the need for 2 medics never arose.

Unknown Soldier said:
That bastard
Kaiser Behemoth
is going to get a huge sword up his ass. :lol

You'll demolish him in about 30 seconds now, he's a lot weaker than the
King
. I maxed out my Crystarium too (I couldn't help myself) and I'm finding all the missions very unsatisfying. I'm at 20 now and I've been 5-star'ing the last 15 or so like it was nothing.

Zoe

Dedication Through Light said:
I mean I think its more advantageous to do them after the full crysterium is unlocked and everything is opened up. After a game reaches 10+ chapters, I always face story fatigue in which I just care about finishing the story since its near over, lol. Plus I cared too much about getting a 5 Star on each Mark, so Im waiting (well I finished the game), waited until that point to start, get 5 star on one run through of them all.

You're not going to be strong enough for chapter 12 and 13 though if you ignore the ones along the story path and you're not doing any grinding. That's close to half the missions.

And if you're going to grind, you might as well just do the missions you run across.

Zoe said:
You're not going to be strong enough for chapter 12 and 13 though if you ignore the ones along the story path and you're not doing any grinding. That's close to half the missions.

And if you're going to grind, you might as well just do the missions you run across.

If one did the grinding in Chapter 11 (say at that mine place), then I think that was the last location I had to grind at before reaching end of the game. That set me up well for 12 and 13 after running through them (only missions I did was the tower in 11). Though if someone thought getting through fights in 12 was a struggle they could always go back to the area in 11 at that point in time.

dare i say the graphic in this game impresses me more than GOW3. maybe it was the fact that FF13 was played on a Sony Bravia 1080P and GOW3 was on a Samsung 720P.

Ricker

After the long journey to finally reach Pulse,I noticed a Behemoth close to the first save point,rushed on it as I was beating the ones in the other chapters rather easily,the fight starts and I notice he`s a lot thougher lol and see he`s a freakin Behemoth Lord or King or something...after 10 minutes of fighting and 10 Pheonix downs,I just stopped the fight :D

7Th

Vanille didn't want to die because she felt guilty, Vanille wanted to die because her death was the only way of actually keeping Cocoon safe.

dramatis said:
Vanille's the biggest drama queen of them all, bigger than Hope. She's the worst character in the game, next to the villain.

Her existence puts EVERYONE in danger; her only options were to become Ragnarok herself and kill everyone in Pulse or tell Fang the truth and watch her become Ragnarok and kill everyone in Pulse.

icarus-daedelus said:
Wait... what? o_O Team Fang/Vanille is the best! Team GRAN PULSE STYLE all the way. How might such a glorious thing get one banned? Spoiler police? Homophobia? :lol

Spoiler police. ;_;

And people are still questioning themselves regarding the nature of Vanille and Fang's relationship? Gee, did you guys miss their
unison orgasm moans during the ending
or something?

KZObsessed

Attacus is my bitch

Snow as Sentinel and load him up with Physical resistance accessories. Didn't even have to heal him. Still took 20 minutes tho. He cast Doom but I got him well before the timer ran out.

Now.. if only I could beat the
giant cactuar

Ricker

Just to make sure i`m not missing something,on Pulse the yellow circles on the ground,like the blue that indicate a jumping spot in previous levels are

for the eventual Chocobo riding,where he will jump up there?

I`ll probably do missions until I can ride a Chocobo ,got to do the Chocobo stuff in a FF game if it`s there :D

Jrmint

Question after Chapter 11 about abilities:

So I just unlocked Army of One for Lightning. How is it best to use this ability? To wait until the enemy is staggered and then do it, or what exactly?

Also, for Fang's Highwind ability, will the AI do this automatically when the enemy is staggered or do I need to control it myself?

Thanks much.

Le-mo

Adamm said:
I dont understand all this hate, i think she's awesome! :D
I hate her voice, it's so annoying. Her accent sounds fake and and its like she's having an orgasm everytime she laughs and even when she jumps. She's just so melodramatic. She has this squeaky tone to her voice. I get the expression that she's trying to sound "cute" but this is going overboard. I don't even want to turn on the game right now because the game FORCES me to control her in Chapter 6 so I have to hear her annoying moaning voice whenever I jump.

Le-mo said:
I hate her voice, it's so annoying. Her accent sounds fake and and its like she's having an orgasm everytime she laughs and even when she jumps. She's just so melodramatic. She has this squeaky tone to her voice. I get the expression that she's trying to sound "cute" but this is going overboard. I don't even want to turn on the game right now because the game FORCES me to control her in Chapter 6 so I have to hear her annoying moaning voice whenever I jump.

I like her scream, lol. Chapter 6 has the best field and battle music. Sunless Riverside never gets old, lol.

Mandoric

Banned
Skel said:
Question after Chapter 11 about abilities:

So I just unlocked Army of One for Lightning. How is it best to use this ability? To wait until the enemy is staggered and then do it, or what exactly?

Also, for Fang's Highwind ability, will the AI do this automatically when the enemy is staggered or do I need to control it myself?

Thanks much.

All final attacks must be entered manually.
All RAV ones lock break status, IIRC, and all COM ones automatically end break, so they're best to trigger right before break ends. Death is an exception.

Jrmint

Ty Mandoric.

1 other question.

I was thinking about breaking down this Goddess' Favor (to get a Ribbon and a Scarletite) accessory since I don't see myself really needing that buff and I can upgrade the Entite Ring if I really need it. Would I be shooting myself in the foot doing this or would it be ok? Like there isn't any big fight later on when I absolutely need that trinket.

Thanks much.

Pooya

I just got destroyed by the boss at the end of ch11.
I have all 3 primary roles maxed out, should I max the other 3 or just try a better strategy? everybody has like ~4000 HP. the thing has tons of HP, like
3 million
I think my party is strong enough, I can easily kill all the regular enemies.

miladesn said:
I have all 3 primary roles maxed out, should I max the other 3 or just try a better strategy? everybody has like ~4000 HP. the thing has tons of HP, like
3 million

You should be using
the same strategy you used before
. That is relentless assault as fast as possible then "combat clinic" when that spell occurs. Remember take too long and Doom happens. Utilize Renew, Dispelga, and Odin. I used relenetless assault cause I wanted to finish as fast as humanly possible and relied on getting the TP gauge back up so I could use Renew if I needed to.

jiien

miladesn said:
3 million

That's weird, when I had all three primary roles maxed out, everyone had about 7000 or 8000ish HP (except for Hope, that weakling).

Canti

Mandoric said:
All final attacks must be entered manually.
All RAV ones lock break status, IIRC, and all COM ones automatically end break, so they're best to trigger right before break ends. Death is an exception.
:lol I went through the whole game and have so far maxed out about half the character roles and didn't even realise about these final attacks until reading this post /dies Will have to try them out later.

Jrmint

miladesn said:
3 million
This boss was so fucking cheap. Basically you cannot play defensive. I used Light/Fang/Hope and the moment he was staggered I went into COM/COM/RAV. Because you need that extra damage from all 3 to beat the Doom timer or make it not show up at all.

Open the fight with Bully (COM/SAB/SYN) and make sure Fang gets Deprotect and Deshell up on the boss, and hopefully Slow too.

Then use Delta Attack (SEN/COM/RAV) for a few to so that the Stagger doesn't go down and then go into Mystic Tower to get him staggered as quickly as possible (SEN/RAV/RAV) and then that is when you go into your offensive paradigm. Afterwards heal as necessary. You may end up needing to use Renew a time or 2, and also Dispelga, so make sure you have Dispelga if you don't since all his debuffs are such bullshit.

I said in an earlier post I thought this was the hardest/cheapest boss since the first time you fight the 4 fiends in FFIV.

Canti said:
:lol I went through the whole game and have so far maxed out about half the character roles and didn't even realise about these final attacks until reading this post /dies Will have to try them out later.
yeah i didn't see them until chapter 13... you should definitely try them out like ASAP... they look pretty cool and they do major damage and make everything a sinch

Hyunkel6

Skel said:
This boss was so fucking cheap. Basically you cannot play defensive. I used Light/Fang/Hope and the moment he was staggered I went into COM/COM/RAV. Because you need that extra damage from all 3 to beat the Doom timer or make it not show up at all.

Open the fight with Bully (COM/SAB/SYN) and make sure Fang gets Deprotect and Deshell up on the boss, and hopefully Slow too.

Then use Delta Attack (SEN/COM/RAV) for a few to so that the Stagger doesn't go down and then go into Mystic Tower to get him staggered as quickly as possible (SEN/RAV/RAV) and then that is when you go into your offensive paradigm. Afterwards heal as necessary. You may end up needing to use Renew a time or 2, and also Dispelga, so make sure you have Dispelga if you don't since all his debuffs are such bullshit.

I said in an earlier post I thought this was the hardest/cheapest boss since the first time you fight the 4 fiends in FFIV.
I have been stuck on this fight for more than 2 years now. :lol

On topic, what's the best place to grind in chapter 11? The 4 bridlike creatures around a treasure chest in the central plains?

Jrmint

Hyunkel6 said:
On topic, what's the best place to grind in chapter 11? The 4 bridlike creatures around a treasure chest in the central plains?
King Behemoth fighting a Megisthorian (big ass wolf) in the Northwest Corner of the Archlyte Steppe.

6600 CP and guaranteed pre-emptive strike.

Make sure to kill the Behemoth first.

desverger

Oh god the ch9 boss.

Beat it with 2nd try. Haste is your friend! But it was quite INTENSE :p

I'm really starting to wonder when to use the Sentinel role. The only *useful* situation I've found for the Sentinel is a fight with lots of enemies that focus fire on a single character, AND do enough damage that a single medic can't keep up with it. Otherwise Tri-Disaster buffed with Haste seems like the way to go through any encounter :lol

Widge

Strangely addicted to grinding the opening two save points of Chapter 7. Running through, Shiva'ing the 2 big groups, picking up Incentive and Credit Chips, Rhodendrite (?) and Phoenix Down's... getting to the shop, selling the chips and downs and upgrading my weapons...

Last time I was like this it was some part of FFXII where I was chaining a section of skeleton warriors into the 100's.

BluWacky

Aaaah!

(chapter 13 spoilers do not read unless you've finished the game)

Went into the fight with Barthandelus and the cutscene didn't play properly so I skipped it. Beat Barthandelus, beat Orphan's first form... and my Xbox crashed in the middle of the cutscene just as Lightning et al were presumably going to explain to Fang and Vanille how they de-Cie'thed themselves, mere minutes before the FINAL boss fight.

Bugger. Hope the Xbox isn't fried. Shame I have to do both those boss battles again :(

Zoe

Gamer @ Heart said:
Is there a mission guide out there? Im having serious trouble overcoming these target times.

Wait till you get the golden clock if you don't mind doing them again.

Naeblish

I'm on ch9 and wondering what weapon to upgrade for Lightning. Together with Fang and Hope she is Rav 80% of the time, so she should have high magic instead of strength right? I'm currently using gladius but it has almost no magic.

Also, is there a way to force 2 commando's on 1 enemy? Every time there is more then one enemy and Lightning and Fang are both Commando's, they pick separate targets.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So ive put this game on hold while i beat GoW 3, but i havent been crazy about returning to it. Is the ending any good, without spoiling anything?

RpgN

Finally finished the game today, I liked it, but I'm dissappointed in the game. The game is a good game and enjoyable, but chapter 12 and 13 made me hate it at times. It was obvious SE rushed through these chapters and just put dozens of monsters there that are cheap and not fun to kill. I mean I understand their function is for replay value and then you can kill them more easily after grinding, but don't put them in the main story because the difficulty is just a mess. Some monsters are impossible to avoid which makes things even more annoying. The last boss was very cheap as well with his attacks, I kept dying on
his second form Ophun or something, until I found out you can easily kill him with Bio
. And the ending was not bad but I expected more. I was very postive about the game before chapter 12 but now I have very negative thoughts about it and the balance is more on the negative side. I need some time to breath, time to do some post-game content. Gran Pulse, here I come!

~Kinggi~ said:
So ive put this game on hold while i beat GoW 3, but i havent been crazy about returning to it. Is the ending any good, without spoiling anything?

How far were you? If you didn't like the game by chapter 7 or 8, you probably aren't going to.

Anyway, to answer your question, I liked the ending but not many people here do.

RpgN said:
Finally finished the game today, I liked it, but I'm dissappointed in the game. The game is a good game and enjoyable, but chapter 12 and 13 made me hate it at times. It was obvious SE rushed through these chapters and just put dozens of monsters there that are cheap and not fun to kill. I mean I understand their function is for replay value and then you can kill them more easily after grinding, but don't put them in the main story because the difficulty is just a mess. Some monsters are impossible to avoid which makes things even more annoying. The last boss was very cheap as well with his attacks, I kept dying on
his second form Ophun or something, until I found out you can easily kill him with Bio
. And the ending was not bad but I expected more. I was very postive about the game before chapter 12 but now I have very negative thoughts about it and the balance is more on the negative side. I need some time to breath, time to do some post-game content. Gran Pulse, here I come!

I did like the Chapter 12 "Expressway" design, that was incredible how detailed they made that area, as well as the Chapter 13 area, I loved the background and the entire environment, simply stunning and gorgeous. But yeah giving the same monsters new skins and beefing them up was really a cheesy cop out.

I wish the game had a monster arena ala Golden Sun Lost Age; for it would be fun to just go through and replay as many enemies as possibly, preferably the soldiers and militarized units, which I always enjoyed fighting.

RpgN

cosmicblizzard said:
How far were you? If you didn't like the game by chapter 7 or 8, you probably aren't going to.

Anyway, to answer your question, I liked the ending but not many people here do.

The ending was...not bad...it did serve its purpose. You got to see all what you expected and you got exactly that.
You have Sera and Daijin popping out of nowhere and everyone is happy. Where is Snow and Sera marriage ceremony? Why can't we see how Sazh gets along with his son on his normal life? How does Hope get along with his dad? Will Vanille and Fang ever wake up again? How is Lightning handling Snow and Sera now that they are married? How do humans live now? Can they manage?
It's like you finished the game, saved the world and don't get to see what will become of the world and its people you have worked so hard for.

Giolon

~Kinggi~ said:

I thought the ending was decent - sort of typical Final Fantasy ending IMO. Life goes on, but everything's not all sugar and rainbows. It really made me hope for a sequel exploring the consequences of the ending - and perhaps just for a little more time to spend hanging out with the characters.

If you're not liking the game though, I wouldn't say that the ending is enough to justify pushing through 40+ hours of torture.

RpgN

Dedication Through Light said:
I did like the Chapter 12 "Expressway" design, that was incredible how detailed they made that area, as well as the Chapter 13 area, I loved the background and the entire environment, simply stunning and gorgeous. But yeah giving the same monsters new skins and beefing them up was really a cheesy cop out.

Graphically, chapter 12 was absolutely gorgeous and one of the prettiest chapters on my mind along with 7,8 and 11. Chapter 13 looked also very pretty and different, like very surreal, especially the last resting area before you fight the last boss, its graphics made me so calm because of the light. It's just the design choices with the monsters and their frequent input had to ruin some of their glory to me sadly.

RpgN said:
Graphically, chapter 12 was absolutely gorgeous and one of the prettiest chapters on my mind along with 7,8 and 11. Chapter 13 looked also very pretty and different, like very surreal, especially the last resting area before you fight the last boss, its graphics made me so calm because of the light. It's just the design choices with the monsters and their frequent input had to ruin some their glory to me sadly.

lol in Chapter 13 at that resting area I stared at those chairs in that white room for a long time, they were like just floating and looked so cool.

Chapter 11 sidequest questions

Once you unlock the Chocobo area, there is a point of interest where a Chocobo is stuck on an island. Is there a way to get there?

Also, in the Springs, is it possible to fight that water Fal'cie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom