• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Vincent Alexander said:
Just finished the game. Such a promising opening that led to nothing spectacular. Lightning didn't even feel like the "main character." There were lots of moments that should have been emotional, but weren't. So, maybe the storytelling was bad. I dunno.

That's because she really wasn't.

K' Dash

I'm moving on to chapter 12, many of the missions left are too difficult for me right now, even with the main 3 roles maxed out.

It's really a shame, I like to do ALL the sidequests before finishing my RPGs, but in this game it's impossible.

Mandoric

Banned
Rez said:
any general tips of levelling up in Pulse? any milestones?

like, 'it would be a good idea to max out the three main crystarium flower-things before POINT A', 'it would be good to upgrade item b' etc.

We've probably been over this a million times in this thread alone, but it's all been spoiler tagged so I haven't read it. :3

Get three pairs of Dash Shoes. Have at least one Enhancer and one Jammer. Pretty much everything else is playstyle, and the thread's full of people arguing that their own choices are superior.

Peff

Rez said:
any general tips of levelling up in Pulse? any milestones?

like, 'it would be a good idea to max out the three main crystarium flower-things before POINT A', 'it would be good to upgrade item b' etc.

We've probably been over this a million times in this thread alone, but it's all been spoiler tagged so I haven't read it. :3

I find the best point to level up early is to the right of where you enter the big area. There is a group of four flans and if you keep going to the "right"you'll find three penguin-like enemies guarding a treasure chest. These should grant you around 2200 CP per fight, which is very good until you get stronger and can fight the behemoths. Then
I would go to the next plot point, which is where the infamous grinding spot is, you'll see two behemoth enemies fighting each other which always give you a pre-emptive strike, so it's a very easy 6600 CP. Try to activate the orange teleport mission in this area by doing several missions, this way you can keep playing through the story and before the chapter ends you can quickly go back here and explore with less risk thanks to the big amounts of experience you'll have gotten.

As for upgrades, mission 7 can give you an item which if dismantled will turn into an autohaste item, which is very useful. You can also start upgrading weapons, I went with Lightning's Axis Blade (blazing fast attacks balance the shitty stats) and Fang's Taming Pole (amazing stats but can't stagger... big deal for a commando/sentinel :lol ) because I think they are the most useful, but anything goes really. Also when you defeat the boss of the chapter and the Crystarium expands you can defeat the big turtles with Vanille and Death (summon first though), which gives 40.000 CP and the chance to get a Tropezahedron, which evolves weapons to their third tiers.

Mostly just explore on your own for a bit, grind a tad too, continue with the story, then come back and explore some more to leave the rest for the post-game.

Pein

Banned
Up to the last boss, and have 55 hours clocked. I'm gonna be so sad after I finish it.

I'm so in love with this game, its made me put God of war 3 and Yakuza 3 on hold. Plus its so pretty. IMO its right up there with uncharted 2 and god of war 3.

Just got to chapter 11, a little disappointed in the bestiary up to this point...has to be the most enemy reskins in recent FF history. Still loving the game though, and I've been looking forward to this part for a long while.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Vincent Alexander said:
So much for the first female protagonist, huh. Maybe they were afraid to have her take the main spotlight. Hence, Snow. The typical tough-guy male role.

The 'main' character is still female ;)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
cheers guys :)

I'll take that last bit of advice in particular, Peff. Sounds reasonable.

Dresden said:
Sorry, just rambling. When the game was first announced, there was all this talk and buzz over a Final Fantasy with a female main character. But it ended up like Final Fantasy 6, where it was more about the entourage. I was expecting more focus. If that makes any sense.

Amir0x

Banned
Crystarium has finally grown into something half-way decent in Chap 10. With all roles opened up, there's a lot of viable choices and a little more options about the way you advance. If they just added more different types of stat boosts and options, I think I'd actually even like it a little.

Jrmint

ezekial45 said:
I've been in Gran Pulse in chapter 11 for a few hours now. I've completed about 10 different missions, and i'm still in the 3rd crystarium for all my characters. Also, i've barely lvl'd any of my gear (still have a lvl 2 gladius for light). Now, i've heard that the next boss in chapter 11 is really hard.

Should i try working on maxing out my crystarium (until the rest is opened up), before i continue?
Yes, you will get destroyed.

I had my 3 main characters maxed at their 3 main roles at the 4th role level in order to beat the Chapter 11 boss.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Vincent Alexander said:
So much for the first female protagonist, huh. Maybe they were afraid to have her take the main spotlight. Hence, Snow. The typical tough-guy male role.
It's been funny to see this game release and some people are like "OMG Square is trying a main female protagonist in FF games!"...

My first FF game, in 1994, had a female protagonist. To me, FF was always that series... It was actually making the game star a spiky-haired anime teenager that was radical at one point!

MechaX

Vincent Alexander said:

Not only is the main character still female (Nor the first, since I see no reason why X-2 wouldn't count), there some evidence to the conclusion that Lightning is the "central protagonist" (the character that the story is mostly told through), which is different from the main character that the plot revolves around (the story is still mostly about Vanille). For a text-book example, look at The Great Gatsby (for an FF example, just look at FFXII, where Vaan was the protagonist, but the main character of the plot was still Ashe). However, I do admit that this is more Literature semantics, and the biggest objection is the fact that Vanille still serves as the story's narrator.

Peff

Amir0x said:
Crystarium has finally grown into something half-way decent in Chap 10. With all roles opened up, there's a lot of viable choices and a little more options about the way you advance. If they just added more different types of stat boosts and options, I think I'd actually even like it a little.

I don't know if you've actually taken a look into the extra roles but pouring points into them over the first three is a complete waste of said points :lol You'll be getting HP+20 for 15.000 CP versus the HP+100 for 10.000 of the normal roles and so on.

jiggle

dang
they totally ramped up the difficulty in mission 27
everything prior was a complete cakewalk

should i even attempt mission 28+?
i just unlocked stage9 of crystarium with 2 classes capped on characters

can someone explain to me the hauteclair+doom trick everyone is talking about?
i read it's possible to do neochu and adamantoise using that?

MechaX said:
Not only is the main character still female (Nor the first, since I see no reason why X-2 wouldn't count), there some evidence to the conclusion that Lightning is the "central protagonist" (the character that the story is mostly told through), which is different from the main character that the plot revolves around (the story is still mostly about Vanille). For a text-book example, look at The Great Gatsby (for an FF example, just look at FFXII, where Vaan was the protagonist, but the main character of the plot was still Ashe). However, I do admit that this is more Literature semantics, and the biggest objection is the fact that Vanille still serves as the story's narrator.
I really wish Lightning were the central protagonist. I guess it is all up for debate and how you view it. To me, FFX is a great example of a character (Tidus) serving as the central protagonist. It truly felt like I was living the story through him. FFXIII had me going between characters, but never really grounded to one.

And I forgot about X-2. Too many people saying Lightning was the first that I actually started to believe it without thinking about it.

leng jai

Peff said:
I don't know if you've actually taken a look into the extra roles but pouring points into them over the first three is a complete waste of said points :lol You'll be getting HP+20 for 15.000 CP versus the HP+100 for 10.000 of the normal roles and so on.

Tell me about it, lucky I realised this early and didn't waste any points on it.

Pein said:
Up to the last boss, and have 55 hours clocked. I'm gonna be so sad after I finish it.

I'm so in love with this game, its made me put God of war 3 and Yakuza 3 on hold. Plus its so pretty. IMO its right up there with uncharted 2 and god of war 3.

lol.

Pooya

ch12 looks godly.
ch11 boss is a joke compared to this chapter's boss (
the the robot with Rosch inside
). Looks like Saboteurs do nothing on this thing. give me some tips!

miladesn said:
ch12 looks godly.
ch11 boss is a joke compared to this chapter's boss (
the the robot with Rosch inside
). Looks like Saboteurs do nothing on this thing. give me some tips!

Nothing to tip really, just has a ton of HP unfortunately. If you are having trouble, I just hit com to slow stag, flip to Triple Rav, stagger, switch to Relentless, repeat. Heal (Convolesence so Syn buffs while healing) or Salvation if very necessary, then repeat.

burgerdog

Zertez said:
There is a spot in Mah'Habara I like a little more. Between a Juggernaut and two Cyrohedrons, you can kill several sets of mobs. One group of 6 will give you 5.5k cp or so. Doing the short run, I can get just around 18k cp in less than 5 minutes. The mobs have a lot less hp than the Behemoth, so most of the time is spent on loading/spoil screens. You can also get quite a few bomb cores running this spot as well.

It takes me 13 seconds on average to kill the behe/wolf for about 13,000 cp and only a few more seconds to respawn them.

Rpgmonkey said:
You have anyone to cast buffs and another to heal at the same time? I've been fighting them straight on since Fang had about that much HP. Before the battle I equipped everyone with some stuff that helps to reduce the damage from Earth-based attacks, along with the usual stuff for more CP and items.

I use Fang, Sazh, and Hope. Hope heals, Sazh throws on a few buffs, and Fang throws debuffs on the legs. Then I switch so Fang can continue to use debuffs (builds up the gauge faster than other attacks), Sazh uses attack magic, and Hope heals. Switch so Fang can use Highwind, then repeat this for the other leg.

After it falls, use Fang to throw some debuffs on (Imperil, Deshell, and Deprotect mostly), then I switch so Fang can attack and the other two can use attack magic. Keep going until it's at about 950%, then I use Highwind.

Repeat the whole thing about two or three times and it's dead. I use Renew or a Phoenix Down if Hope gets killed off by its Roar attack.

I've been doing everything you mentioned except for equipping items that help with earth based attacks. Any tips on how to get more clay rings?

Amir0x

Banned
Peff said:

I noticed. But since Gran Pulse is here (I FINALLY MADE IT HOLY SHIT GUYS THE MARCH IS OVER!), I don't mind the high cost. Now I can move onto my goal of making all my characters demigods of all the classes. We will destroy all the beasts until Gran Pulse faces extinction!

You know, re: linearity. I think one of the problems FFXIII has versus other linear games is a matter of the way they design their linear levels. The vast majority of the time, the hallways and rooms aren't merely linear... they're completely empty. There is vast amounts of space at times meant to store absolutely nothing and with nothing to look at. People compare this to Mass Effect 2, for example, but Mass Effect 2 levels were littered with objects and space technology and neat things to look at wherever you went. They made the most of their linear paths!

I think this is one of the lesser things that hasn't been talked about regarding the linear problem. I think if they also made the linear paths more interesting to actually travel about, by doing the most with the space they have, it'd go a long way to making the world I'm in more believable.

When I enter a vast cavernous room filled with literally nothing, I only wonder why these people wasted their vast resources making a room to put nothing in it. When I enter giant rooms with nothing but a series of enemies, I just wonder what they were thinking!

So, do more with your linear space SquareEnix if you're going to go the linear route!

That's Amir0x's tip #1239 to fixing FFXIII.

Styles

Mandoric said:
8.8% drop rate if you 5-star with a Best Choice equipped.

Best choice? I'm farming for it right now and I need to refill my TP everytime I finish a fight with the thing. Bahamut is soooo useful. I need one more of those Trap to have enough for 6 members.

anaron said:
Not only that but the episode Zero novel even further imply's things specifically when they say things like:

“You’re the one who said we’d always be together, forever!” Fang cupped Vanille’s face in her hands.
“We’ll always be together...”
“Yes.”
“And we will go home together...”
"That’s what we promised, remember?”
Vanille placed her hands against Fang’s, and nodded.
“No, you’re right... I...”
They had promised so long ago. They would be alright as long as they were together. They would never be parted. It was a promise she never wished to break.

Seriously, it's just to obvious :lol

Sorry it isn't. I love
girl-girl action as much as every heterosexual male
but honestly it didn't occur to me a single time it might be like that. For me the thing is -
they come from the same village, close community where one takes care of the other members, they are both in an unknown world, Fang as an older person feels responsible for Vanille

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Vincent Alexander said:
I really wish Lightning were the central protagonist. I guess it is all up for debate and how you view it. To me, FFX is a great example of a character (Tidus) serving as the central protagonist. It truly felt like I was living the story through him. FFXIII had me going between characters, but never really grounded to one.

And I forgot about X-2. Too many people saying Lightning was the first that I actually started to believe it without thinking about it.
The thing I liked about 10 was that Tidus was out of focus for a long time; i.e. he was a tag-along on Yuna's quest, but he eventually came out to be the real hero. I haven't seen this happening here or in 12 (in which Basch really should have been the main character, and I'd argue that Ashe probably IS)

Goddammit, fuck this game. Throwing a shit ton of enemies at me right before the final boss that throw me in the air or take forever to fucking stagger. FUCK YOU!!!

spidye

I feel like I'm rushing through this game. I am at the beginning of chapter 7 but I've just played 11 hours. is this the normal playtime or am I too fast?

spidye said:
I feel like I'm rushing through this game. I am at the beginning of chapter 7 but I've just played 11 hours. is this the normal playtime or am I too fast?

I'd say about average. The chapters, generally, get longer.

MechaX

Amir0x said:
I noticed. But since Gran Pulse is here (I FINALLY MADE IT HOLY SHIT GUYS THE MARCH IS OVER!), I don't mind the high cost. Now I can move onto my goal of making all my characters demigods of all the classes. We will destroy all the beasts until Gran Pulse faces extinction!

The sucky thing is that the characters will be absolute shit in their other three classes until you've unlocked the Level 10 Crystarium.

... You get that level after beating the game.

7Th

Castor Krieg said:
Sorry it isn't. I love
girl-girl action as much as every heterosexual male
but honestly it didn't occur to me a single time it might be like that. For me the thing is -
they come from the same village, close community where one takes care of the other members, they are both in an unknown world, Fang as an older person feels responsible for Vanille

I don't see it that way.
An older person that feels responsible for a 2-year younger girl doesn't act how Fang acts and doesn't say the things Fang says. I'm not saying they're lesbians, but they're some soul-mate-type BFF at the very least.

RpgN

Dedication Through Light said:
lol in Chapter 13 at that resting area I stared at those chairs in that white room for a long time, they were like just floating and looked so cool.

You and me both! I kept starring at those chairs for so long...was hoping that Lightning and the rest could actually sit on them, that would have been pretty cool as simple as it sounds XD

I played a couple of missions and played with the chocobo for the first time. That was so nice and relaxing...running around, digging treasures and finding new areas. Now this is what I'm talking about *happy again*

cosmicblizzard said:
Yeah, definitely could've used more closure but that's what FFXIII-2 is for ;)

That would help indeed. It would be awesome if they continued with this chapter of FF. The ending would make sense if they make it happen.

KZObsessed

ahahahahahahhahahahha

I got one! A Trapezomotherfuckinhedron!

IN YO FACE IN YO FACE

edit: now if only I had the gil to upgrade someones ultimate weapon :lol

you guys are scaring me about the difficulty ramp-up.... *bites nails*

I'm in chapter 9 and Fang has around 1400 HP. Somebody in chapter 11 has her at TEN TIMES THAT MUCH (14000 HP) and is still having trouble with certain enemies?

FML

KZObsessed said:
ahahahahahahhahahahha

I got one! A Trapezomotherfuckinhedron!

IN YO FACE IN YO FACE

2ih35hv.jpg

Mandoric

Banned
Vect said:
Best choice? I'm farming for it right now and I need to refill my TP everytime I finish a fight with the thing. Bahamut is soooo useful. I need one more of those Trap to have enough for 6 members.

Er, whatever they call the accessory that increases rare item drop rate by 10%.

7Th said:
I don't see it that way.
An older person that feels responsible for a 2-year younger girl doesn't act how Fang acts and doesn't say the things Fang says. I'm not saying they're lesbians, but they're some soul-mate-type BFF at the very least.

That makes sense, I can go with that explanation.

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
I am on chapter 10 and saw a cutscene where
Cid talks about nothing and turns into a Super Saiyan

:lol

This is bad. Real bad.

How much longer until I'm on chapter 11?

you can dash to the end in like 30 minutes if you like, skipping any enemy you don't have to face. The end of the chapter is easy as pie and then it's GRAN FUCKIN' PULSE

yeah the Cid scene had me lolin' so hard.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Himuro said:
I am on chapter 10 and saw a cutscene where
Cid talks about nothing and turns into a Super Saiyan

:lol

This is bad. Real bad.

How much longer until I'm on chapter 11?
half an hour, give or take.

about half as much as the amount of chapter 10 dungeon you just bet.

edit: that section of dungeon does not take an hour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom