• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cep said:
Thanks man good to hear.

I like a good challenge, so as long is it is not impossible, I look forward to it.

Still sounds like they built the endgame so that grinding is necessary. I hate that, faux-content pisses me off.

I seriously think people underrate the SAB and SEN roles. I didn't die past Chapter 11 once I figured out my party. Experimented quite a bit to figure out my style. This game feels like a Persona game where buffing and debuffing makes a huge difference.

I think I can do 3 of the 4 missions left. Not too bad for not grinding. I tend to think the developers trolled all the trophy whores and completionists by making some materials difficult to acquire and money hard to come by. :lol

If you love the battle system just as much I as do. I think you'll find the challenges quite fun. There's quite a bit of strategy/tactics in pre-battle weapon and accessory setups, pre-emptive strike, summons, techniques, pre-battle buffs/debuffs, sentinels, and synthesis groups.

There's also twitch gameplay in paradigm shifting and timing. It's an marvelous battle system in my opinion.

Dresden

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm still trying to figure out Amir0x's trick for getting a free extra set of attacks by switching paradigms in the middle of combat animations. It looks like he's doing the switch right when the last attack goes off but I can't get the timing right, it always pauses for me to show the switching animation which you can clearly see he bypasses in that video. Goddammit.
It's because he launches them into the air. The paradigm shift animation will play out as Light descends back onto the ground, so you don't lose any time in between.

So I'm 90% done with all the missions, did all of
Titan's
challenges, and almost maxed out everyone's main paradigms. Think I'm ready to take on adamantoise?

grumble

Dresden said:
It's because he launches them into the air. The paradigm shift animation will play out as Light descends back onto the ground, so you don't lose any time in between.

I can do it regularly without a launch.

Basically, you can only do this one every other set of commands. For example, you can do 'full atb bar actions full atb bar' then right when the last animation triggers switch paradigms. All the characters will flash their colours and you can move on. You save about 5 seconds with this, and you'll start off the next set of actions with a full atb bar. Makes a huge difference.

you'll get a feel for it eventually.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
cosmicblizzard said:
So I'm 90% done with all the missions, did all of
Titan's
challenges, and almost maxed out everyone's main paradigms. Think I'm ready to take on adamantoise?

Go for it.

Dresden

grumble said:
I can do it regularly without a launch.

Basically, you can only do this one every other set of commands. For example, you can do 'full atb bar actions full atb bar' then right when the last animation triggers switch paradigms. All the characters will flash their colours and you can move on. You save about 5 seconds with this, and you'll start off the next set of actions with a full atb bar. Makes a huge difference.

you'll get a feel for it eventually.
You don't completely bypass it. If you do it on the ground, all you skip is the rather lengthy effect zooming in on the character. Your animation for the last attack plays out as the paradigms shift, and I'd say you save about two seconds, flat.

Launching is different because you don't lose any time whatsoever in between the attack sequences. Whatever time that was lost was spent completely in the air.

Anyways, I just thought they were two different things. There's a reason why Launch is so powerful.

usea

rainer516 said:
You mean to tell me that you didn't kill the boss using the Norse Horse summon mode with full Gestalt bar that the game just hands you?
Not even half-way. A second summon brought him down to like 55%.

Then I hacked away at his chain gauge for 10 minutes until he finally staggered. Fucking retarded.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
burgerdog said:
Omg do I have to max out kain's lance in order to get 3 traps back?

Yes. Approximately 1.5 million gil to get a third-level weapon starred, apparently. ;_; This is so annoying.

burgerdog

luxarific said:
Yes. Approximately 1.5 million gil to get a third-level weapon starred, apparently. ;_; This is so annoying.

Oh god, I thought I was done with the stupid turtles for a bit. Fuuuuuuuuuuu.

iqkmmr.jpg

Only took me about 10 turtles to get. Now I need to kill more for ingots ;l Question. Is it possible to get two items from the turtle? Should I unequip the rare catalog to increase chances of getting ingots?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
burgerdog said:
Oh god, I thought I was done with the stupid turtles for a bit. Fuuuuuuuuuuu.

iqkmmr.jpg

Only took me about 10 turtles to get. Now I need to kill more for ingots ;l Question. Is it possible to get two items from the turtle? Should I unequip the rare catalog to increase chances of getting ingots?

I don't know how this works at all. I got the trap with the just the collector's catalog equipped (upgraded to star). I was trying to farm for ingots. My understanding was that you had to use the connoisseur's catalog to increase your chances for traps.

diddlyD

Banned
why do they have to make the last boss not fun at all? i would rather get a tooth pulled than try this stupid ass fuck boss again. i'm assuming
___________orphan__________
is the last boss...

any tips? he/she/it turns to a sword and one shots me. fun!

burgerdog

Yea, I wish all this was more clear. I think I'll leave both catalogs equipped, I wouldn't complain if I got another trap that's for sure.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
diddlyD said:
why do they have to make the last boss not fun at all? i would rather get a tooth pulled than try this stupid ass fuck boss again. i'm assuming
is the last boss...

Raise your HP w/accessories if you don't have enough, then use med/med/sen to heal right after.

Oh and dispel/deprotect/etc the boss to make it easier to defeat.

Giolon

diddlyD said:
is the last boss...

That attack, near as I can tell does not one shot your party - it takes everybody down to something like 5-10% health, paving the way for the next following attack to wipe you out. When you see that animation start, you should be swapping to something like Combat Clinic to top your party back off. I took Hope with me who's got nuts for health, and it never even killed him, nor did it kill anyone when their health was barely past half full.

If worse comes to worst, you can always farm the area just before the boss (assuming you didn't overwrite your save with a save in the final, final area). It's one of the best CP farming spots in the game netting ~32000CP for each encounter (which should only take ~2 minutes tops).

diddlyD

Banned
Giolon said:
That attack, near as I can tell does not one shot your party - it takes everybody down to something like 5-10% health, paving the way for the next following attack to wipe you out. When you see that animation start, you should be swapping to something like Combat Clinic to top your party back off. I took Hope with me who's got nuts for health, and it never even killed him, nor did it kill anyone when their health was barely past half full.

If worse comes to worst, you can always farm the area just before the boss (assuming you didn't overwrite your save with a save in the final, final area). It's one of the best CP farming spots in the game netting ~32000CP for each encounter (which should only take ~2 minutes tops).

i have all my characters tier 9 main 3 jobs maxed, so i think i should be able to do this. i think i was poisoned when he did the sword attack which takes everyone to 1hp, which means instant death?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
diddlyD said:
is the last boss...

Is
____Orphan____
really the last boss?

hateradio

diddlyD said:
i have all my characters tier 9 main 3 jobs maxed, so i think i should be able to do this. i think i was poisoned when he did the sword attack which takes everyone to 1hp, which means instant death?
I didn't even have them maxed. Make sure you have two healers, and a syn to give you haste and stuff.

Paradigm's that come in handy:

Protection: syn/med/sen, or Even The Odds: syn/med/sab.

entremet

hateradio said:
I didn't even have them maxed. Make sure you have two healers, and a syn to give you haste and stuff.

Paradigm's that come in handy:

Protection: syn/med/sen, or Even The Odds: syn/med/sab.

I also loved Combat Clinic: med/med/sen to quickly recover from devastating attacks. The defense bonus is nice.

diddlyD

Banned
oh fuck this fucking game

TRY AGAIN im returning this in the morning for a full refund RAGE

btw someone said i can cast poison on the last boss to beat it. i cast poison over and over and nothing special is happening. what am i missing?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
entrement said:
Do you really want to know?
Yes...................

Wow. :lol

Now the story doesn't make much sense anymore

linsivvi

Mystery said:
If you're using the Collector's Catalog, I believe it increases the drop rate to 25%, but I'm not sure. Without any equipment, the drop rate is 5%. At least, that's what I read from some Japanese guy who was giving a guide on beating Adamantoises. Sometimes I'll get 3 Ingots in a row, but about a day ago, I got 2 Ingots from about 30 turtles.

The percentages you give are definitely off. The correct figures have already been posted at many sites from people who have the official guide.

Adamantoise/tortoise - normal (ingot) 25% rare (trap) 1%
Long Gui - normal (ingot) 25% rare (trap) 5%

Collector's Catalog increases normal item's drop rate by 50% so the poster who said 1 out of 3 fights is correct.

Well adamantoise are not hard at all with the summon strategy. Guess I'll grind a bit with these things, do the remaining missions and then I'll be done with this game for a while.

Giolon

diddlyD said:

That's all my characters had (and no upgraded weapons or accessories). If you're switching to Combat Clinic during the animation, you'll be healed basically instantly up to at least 1/3 health, usually half.

I'll say this, both Hope and Vanille make ridiculously great healers. Take one of them with you.

hateradio

entrement said:
I also loved Combat Clinic: med/med/sen to quickly recover from devastating attacks. The defense bonus is nice.
That's what I had said in my previous post, I just didn't use the name :]

diddlyD said:
btw someone said i can cast poison on the last boss to beat it. i cast poison over and over and nothing special is happening. what am i missing?
I had such an easy time w/the end of this game, you're probably not using the paradigms as you should.

qcf x2

So, in Ch11, I was kinda getting lost following the missions and I ended up
going through some Stargate looking shit and now I'm in a tower
. I did missions 1 through 8, got lost, ended up here and just completed mission 20. Can I go back to do the rest of the missions? Is it gonna take me 45 minutes of walking? And how the fuck did I get this lost? :lol

Nose Master

diddlyD said:

Protect, Shell, and Haste are your friends. As well as tossing on 2x Medic after the sword attack. The poison strategy is for turtles. They basically cast poison, then go sen/sen/med and just turtle until it wears, then recast, etc. He's really not that bad, you just buff yourself, and debuff him. Com/rav/rav for a turn, then spam rav/rav/rav until he staggers. Switch to com/com/rav after that, etc. Pretty much every boss fight in this game is the same.

entremet

hateradio said:
That's what I had said in my previous post, I just didn't use the name :]

I had such an easy time w/the end of this game, you're probably not using the paradigms as you should.
Yeah, something is not right. I didn't have any of the 3 jobs maxed out and I was only wiped out once.
Doom counter came out of of nowhere. The final boss has two forms. Which form are you fighting?

hateradio

entrement said:
Yeah, something is not right. I didn't have any of the 3 jobs maxed out and I was only wiped out once.
Doom counter came out of of nowhere. The final boss has two forms. Which form are you fighting?
I had a lot of the spheres in the top level, but far from all of them.

I used Lightning/Hope/Fang.

Start off with the Protection, Lightning's a medic so do Libra while the others do their thing.

Make sure Hope casts a ton of stuff on all your party, then switch to Even the Odds, make sure Fang casts like 3 or 4 things on it, then rav/rav/com, stagger, com/com/rav.

Repeat, when he does the
massive HP attack
med/med/sent, and if you need to, do Protection or Even The Odds again.

linsivvi

luxarific said:
I don't know how this works at all. I got the trap with the just the collector's catalog equipped (upgraded to star). I was trying to farm for ingots. My understanding was that you had to use the connoisseur's catalog to increase your chances for traps.

Further on my post above concerning drop rates, Connoisseur's Catalog only increases rare drop rate by 10%...

So provided you five starred the battle, which increases rare drop rate by 5 times, we are talking about 5% vs 5.5% here, pretty insignificant.

diddlyD

Banned
Giolon said:
That's all my characters had (and no upgraded weapons or accessories). If you're switching to Combat Clinic during the animation, you'll be healed basically instantly up to at least 1/3 health, usually half.

I'll say this, both Hope and Vanille make ridiculously great healers. Take one of them with you.

i'm clueless. this is my 5th try now, every time i get him to second stage, he does that sword smash after the second stagger wears off, and it one shot kills me.

this is with vanille and hope as medics and fang as commando, all with their 3 main jobs maxed for tier 9.

Bebpo

Banned
Giolon said:

I swear that attack glitches sometimes. The first time I did the fight the same thing happened to me. Instant wipe. Was pretty bullshit!

diddlyD

Banned
6th try, dead again one shot at the same place. am i playing a different game?

Bebpo said:
I swear that attack glitches sometimes. The first time I did the fight the same thing happened to me. Instant wipe. Was pretty bullshit!

see above!!!

diddlyD

Banned
7th try dead in one shot. 15,000 damage to lightning this time, as the lead, while all characters were on medic with full health.

edit: i think it's the
deprotect his snake robe does right before he goes into sword mode
. even with 3 medics spamming i can't get it off in time. i don't comprehend how none of you had trouble with this.

I think I'm around Chapter 5 (just left the forest), and getting a LITTLE WEARY of the confined environments. The only thing keeping me going are the pretty graphics and fun paradigm system.

Please tell me there's exploration and random stuff to do later on, instead of FIGHTING, FIGHTING, FIGHTING? ;_;

CosmicGroinPull said:
I think I'm around Chapter 5 (just left the forest), and getting a LITTLE WEARY of the confined environments. The only thing keeping me going are the pretty graphics and fun paradigm system.

Please tell me there's exploration and random stuff to do later on, instead of FIGHTING, FIGHTING, FIGHTING? ;_;
Wait until Chapter 11 for side quests.

diddlyD

Banned
8th attempt: dead in one shot. this time without deprotect so i don't know anymore.

this time it only did like 5000hp i think? but i still died anyway. lighting has like 9000hp but i think at the time she only had 6000 left or something. i don't even know why that killed her. but it did.

game needs an instant replay, because without it, as far as i'm concerned, what just happened is a giant fucking error.

Rpgmonkey

diddlyD said:
7th try dead in one shot. 15,000 damage to lightning this time, as the lead, while all characters were on medic with full health.

edit: i think it's the
deprotect his snake robe does right before he goes into sword mode
. even with 3 medics spamming i can't get it off in time. i don't comprehend how none of you had trouble with this.

Weird, don't think he ever used Deprotect on me.

Start the fight with a Commando, a Saboteur, and a Synergist. Light, Vanille and Sazh (or Hope?) is good, personally I had Lightning, Fang, and Sazh and still got through just fine.

He starts the fight with that right? Don't use Medics or whatever, just go right into the Techniques menu afterwards and use Renew. It's far better for these situations than Medics, and cheaper than Summoning.

Afterwards use a Librascope or Libra. Saboteur will do their thing, Synergist puts on the buffs, you just put on a bit of damage. Eventually switch to a COM/RAV/RAV or COM/COM/RAV setup, and put on damage. Pretty much the moment anyone's HP goes yellow switch to a MED/COM/RAV or MED/MED/COM setup. When he does his big attack again heal ASAP or just use Renew. Reapply (de)buffs as necessary.

Personally he only got to use the attack twice before he died, may vary from person to person.

How are you going through this battle exactly?

Dresden

diddlyD said:
8th attempt: dead in one shot. this time without deprotect so i don't know anymore.

this time it only did like 5000hp i think? but i still died anyway. lighting has like 9000hp but i think at the time she only had 6000 left or something. i don't even know why that killed her. but it did.

game needs an instant replay, because without it, as far as i'm concerned, what just happened is a giant fucking error.
Eh... you might want to just give the game a break for a day or two. Tough bosses sometimes just create a mental block and you just can't get past them. Come back in a day and you'll probably one shot it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've got a little story question if someone could please help answer it, kinda end-game spoilerish.

What does the messed-up state of the L'Cie tatoo represent ? IIRC everyone got one like Fang's before the final fight, does it represent the stage of a L'Cie almost to the end of their focus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom