• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
dreamer3kx said:
When did you guys move on from Gran Pulse, I have done around 10-12 missions.

Did 5 on a friend's recommendation because you get the accessory that gives you 100+ Magic for it. Moved on with the story afterwards.

teekun

I've done about 5 so far, only 5-starred a couple of those. I'll keep doing them, since it's so much fun just exploring the area, but I'm not going to worry about getting 5-star ranks on them until I come back much later when I'm more powerful. There's really no point in struggling with difficult fights when I know Ill be able to smash through them when I've finished the single-player.

jiggle

Growth Egg, mine :D

got super lucky and neochu went down with death on the 3rd cast
no one warned me about his damn babies, had to stay on med/med/sen like almost the entire fight XD

dreamer3kx said:
When did you guys move on from Gran Pulse, I have done around 10-12 missions.

it's worth it to get a growth egg before u leave
doubles all the CP earned

Advice on the Crystalium. Only if you plan on doing lots of post-game missions and aren't planning to grind in Chapter 11.

Always prioritize on moving up and getting new abilities. Those branch nodes are tempting, but are usually more costly and the next level is always more CP efficient.

Forget about the techniques except for Renew, maybe Dispelga(I may have used it once). I found Renew to be the most useful. Those techniques can only be used by the party leader. Don't spend any CP on a character technique unless you plan on using them as a party leader.

When you beat the game, a new stage will be unlocked and the bonuses will be rather huge compared to the previous stage. If you saved enough CP, and got a growth egg(I got it in post-game), you can almost MAX out your 3 main character roles as you complete the missions.

Again, this is no grinding and doing missions post-game.

Also, if you like to mix it up, prioritizing the Node unlocks allows you to diversify your character role if you choose to do so. Lightning can learn new SYN abilities, it's fun to mix and match characters. It can be just as viable as staying within the 3 main roles. Of course, this is not optimal for doing all the post game missions if you want to maximize CP, but you're not planning on doing them, you can shake things up and make completely new paradigm teams for the story.

K' Dash

You know guys, I think I'm geting sick that every mission I take I get stomped, mission 47 is a class B and for the love of all that is pure in this world I don't know what to do, I get my ass kicked EVERY FUCKING TIME.

Feep

Banned
phinious said:
When using a character as a ravenger, do all the attacks they do depend on their magic attribute?
No. All the "Strike" attacks are based on Strength...which is why Auto-Attack with Ravager Lightning is retarded.

george_us

I'd like to once again say fuck SE for making me wait damn near 30 hours to get to Gran Pulse. This place is so damn beautiful and I'm FINALLY forced to really take advantage of the battle system instead of just mashing auto-battle over and over again with the occasional shift. It's almost like playing two different games.

K' Dash said:
You know guys, I think I'm geting sick that every mission I take I get stomped, mission 47 is a class B and for the love of all that is pure in this world I don't know what to do, I get my ass kicked EVERY FUCKING TIME.

Are you sure it's a class B? I think it's a class A for sure. The developers called mission 54 a class B. They know how to troll FF players.

Best way to go about this mission.

I went with Fang, Snow, and Hope. Equipped Fang with Pandora for debuff, Umbra for Snow for increased party defense for AOE attacks, and Defense Maintenance weapon for Hope. Equip Magic and Elemental Resist Accessories.

Start SAB/SEN/SYN, unless you use shrouds. Spam Slow and Imperil with Fang. Let Hope do all the buffs. Make Hope a MED when you need healing. Switch to SAB/RAV/RAV and start spamming away at his shield and increasing the stagger meter.

When it breaks, switch to SAB/COM/RAV. Debuff with Deprotect and Deshell. Make sure to do it fast so it doesn't remove all buffs/debuffs. Then COM/COM/RAV, you'll do major damage.

You'll be happy to know there's a mission where you fight two of those enemies at the same time.

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
Doing marks is a fun time waster, and some of the hunts are actually legitimately challenging, which is refreshing considering the rest of the game. It also feels good to be teased (ie. see a treasure chest across a lake but can't reach it? Keep playing to find out how!) so that tells me that the developers didn't forget how to make an rpg. Speaking of treasure, it's great that the treasures are rewarding now. Now I can get my loot on. It only took 27 hours. Furthermore, I like how you can redo missions if you choose as well. FF12 should have had that feature.

If there's one thing I dislike about this marks sidequest so far though, it's that it doesn't really explicitly tell you where the mark is. You have to travel across a huge ass plane on foot, and it takes minutes to get from one place to another. Like many other aspects of the game, that's unnecessary tedium.

Glad to see the developers realized that variety in a 40+ hour game is good. If the game had mini areas scattered throughout with the game with these mark sidequests placed in between the linear areas the game would really benefit, not only from a variety stand point (it gets boring after 10 hours doing bland corridor dungeons) but also in terms of pacing for the same exact reason. But then, that game wouldn't be FF13, it'd be a whole different game in general.

It's really amazing how Gran Pulse allows one to finally breathe and feel unrestrained. If they had two more areas around the size of GP, and mixed it up throughout the game, I guarantee there'd be significantly less criticism.

It's just that and the fact that the game shackles your choices for nearly half of an entire playthrough that's frustrating. There's a lot of other little perplexing design horrors, but these two issues just had to be fixed and the game would go from kinda bad to pretty good.

But, hey, at least Gran Pulse provided a vision of where things can go in this series if the developers so choose

K' Dash

marathonfool said:
Are you sure it's a class B? I think it's a class A for sure. The developers called mission 54 a class B. They know how to troll FF players.

Best way to go about this mission.

I went with Fang, Snow, and Hope. Equipped Fang with Pandora for debuff, Umbra for Snow for increased party defense for AOE attacks, and Defense Maintenance weapon for Hope. Equip Magic and Elemental Resist Accessories.

Start SAB/SEN/SYN, unless you use shrouds. Spam Slow and Imperil with Fang. Let Hope do all the buffs. Make Hope a MED when you need healing. Switch to SAB/RAV/RAV and start spamming away at his shield and increasing the stagger meter.

When it breaks, switch to SAB/COM/RAV. Debuff with Deprotect and Deshell. Make sure to do it fast so it doesn't remove all buffs/debuffs. Then COM/COM/RAV, you'll do major damage.

You'll be happy to know there's a mission where you fight two of those enemies at the same time.

Thank you for the advise, and yeah I was SO naive to take the mission when you fight both of them, they five star'd me :lol :lol :lol

Well, I'll try and do the missions IN ORDER and see if that works, if I keep geting my ass handed I'll just move on to finish Boishock 2...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
luxarific said:
Just five-starred the last boss (<3 <3 <3
death
). Time to go kill me some turtles.
It works?

Rpgmonkey

Beat the Gigantuar! :D

Was pretty easy. Like every other fight in this, you figure out their gimmick and there's not much else to the fight. :p

And unless I happened to lack the mineral to transform it into something better, Ribbons are pretty meh in this game. I don't get a Ribbon in a Final Fantasy game for a chance at resisting any status effect. >:/

My only complaint on hunts is that if you don't get a 5 star then you have to go all the way back to the stone and redo it until you get a 5 star on it. Ugh.

Unless I am missing something...?

Giolon

Amir0x said:
It's really amazing how Gran Pulse allows one to finally breathe and feel unrestrained. If they had two more areas around the size of GP, and mixed it up throughout the game, I guarantee there'd be significantly less criticism.

It's just that and the fact that the game shackles your choices for nearly half of an entire playthrough that's frustrating. There's a lot of other little perplexing design horrors, but these two issues just had to be fixed and the game would go from kinda bad to pretty good.

But, hey, at least Gran Pulse provided a vision of where things can go in this series if the developers so choose

I sincerely hope it doesn't go down that path. When I landed in Chapter 11, I felt like the whole momentum the game's story had ground to a halt (though somewhat with purpose). As much as some like you complain about the nonstop pace of the linear portion, I liked it a lot for how much it kept things going and tied tightly to the narrative. FFXII drops you off into the world about 2 or 3 hours into the game, and I pretty much lost all interest at that point. What you see as shackles I see as guidance and opportunity for learning.

Giolon

Feep said:
No. All the "Strike" attacks are based on Strength...which is why Auto-Attack with Ravager Lightning is retarded.

Except that her Str and Mag stats grow equally as do most of her weapons so often Strike vs. Spell w/ Lightning is a moot point. There's also the enemies that are resitant to physical damage...

Besides, Auto-Battle rarely chooses the completely optimal strategy since it seems to weight variety (on Commandos and Ravagers) over optimal effectiveness.

Dresden

Giolon said:
I sincerely hope it doesn't go down that path. When I landed in Chapter 11, I felt like the whole momentum the game's story had ground to a halt (though somewhat with purpose). As much as some like you complain about the nonstop pace of the linear portion, I liked it a lot for how much it kept things going and tied tightly to the narrative. FFXII drops you off into the world about 2 or 3 hours into the game, and I pretty much lost all interest at that point. What you see as shackles I see as guidance and opportunity for learning.
To each his own. I think ten chapters of corridor crawling (where each successive chapter gets longer and longer) was way too much for me. Should have let the player bust free by chapter 7.

grumble

Giolon said:
Except that her Str and Mag stats grow equally as do most of her weapons so often Strike vs. Spell w/ Lightning is a moot point. There's also the enemies that are resitant to physical damage...

Besides, Auto-Battle rarely chooses the completely optimal strategy since it seems to weight variety (on Commandos and Ravagers) over optimal effectiveness.

Yeah, but it's more interesting to watch, which is why they did it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Yoshichan said:
It works?

I have to admit I was surprised. :) I debuffed the boss as much as possible and then I cast it. Achievement unlocked!

And ;_;, my first turtle didn't drop anything. I thought they were supposed to have ingots. No ingots. No traps (though I need money more at this point). I wonder if the international version of the game will revamp gil. The lack of it is probably the thing I hate most, after the way the game forgets paradigm settings every time you switch out team members and the trial-and-error upgrade system.

Lince

Banned
lol it took me 3 tries to figure out chapter 9 boss... 35h+ and counting (grinding a bit here and there), not FFXII awesome but still a pretty decent FF game, some voice acting is just off though.

cress2000

Himuro said:
Dude, I'm not even impressed with Gran Pulse. Like, I have been looking for this mark for the longest. Once again, nice concept, immense amount of tedium.

Open menu, look at map, find star, go there, profit.

Dresden

cress2000 said:
Open menu, look at map, find star, go there, profit.
Chapter 11 was boring as hell. Felt like I was doing quests in an MMO or something. Look at map, find star, kill something, 'profit' which usually equaled boredom.

Mystery

luxarific said:
I have to admit I was surprised. :) I debuffed the boss as much as possible and then I cast it. Achievement unlocked!

And ;_;, my first turtle didn't drop anything. I thought they were supposed to have ingots. No ingots. No traps (though I need money more at this point). I wonder if the international version of the game will revamp gil. The lack of it is probably the thing I hate most, after the way the game forgets paradigm settings every time you switch out team members and the trial-and-error upgrade system.

The drop rate for Adamantoise/tortoises are 5% common, 1% rare. It's a pretty huge amount of bullshit when you're trying to farm for traps or Platinum Ingots. Farming for gil might even be more effective in Eden, because the common drop for a Sacrifice is a Perfume (24,000 gil). Also the female guards in Eden drop perfumes as well.

Dresden

Himuro said:
It says something about this game's quality when that is actually the highlight of the game.
Pretty much. I didn't play the game for a few days before pushing on to beat it. Strange how I loved the combat for the first twenty hours before finding it utterly tedious.

Rpgmonkey

luxarific said:
And ;_;, my first turtle didn't drop anything. I thought they were supposed to have ingots. No ingots. No traps (though I need money more at this point).

Get ready for a lot of that. :)

On that bright side, together with the Growth Egg, one run through both Adamantoises and both Adamantortoises in that area is a good 240,000 CP. Once you get strong enough it's going to be about that much every 20-30 minutes.

Gil system in this game is just insane. It's only worse when the item drops in this can be just as bad.

Common drops need a respectable increase (not guaranteed every battle, but being able to do like 6-10 battles in a row and get nothing, especially if you don't have that accessory, is just ridiculous and frustrating), there needs to be an A-rank mission or something that gives you Trapozehedrons, and maybe stuff should have better selling prices.

Ponn

Banned
Himuro said:
Dude, I'm not even impressed with Gran Pulse. Like, I have been looking for this mark for the longest. Once again, nice concept, immense amount of tedium.

So, you would like a more linear, short path to your marks with no exploring?

For some of you FFXIII is just plain and simply damned if it does and damned if it doesn't:lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Mystery said:
The drop rate for Adamantoise/tortoises are 5% common, 1% rare. It's a pretty huge amount of bullshit when you're trying to farm for traps or Platinum Ingots. Farming for gil might even be more effective in Eden, because the common drop for a Sacrifice is a Perfume (24,000 gil). Also the female guards in Eden drop perfumes as well.

Urgh, that sucks. Man, I wonder what they were smoking at Squeenix headquarters when they made this design decision.

On the plus side, watching Adamantoise flail around on the ground is enormously entertaining. At least there's some sort of emotional payoff. :lol

Dresden

Ponn01 said:
So, you would like a more linear, short path to your marks with no exploring?

For some of you FFXIII is just plain and simply damned if it does and damned if it doesn't:lol
Maybe it just doesn't do anything particularly well. I loved the game up until chapter 9, and going through 9 and 10 kinda killed it for me and I had to take a break for a bit. And when I come back, it's filled with tedious MMO-style questing followed by more dungeon crawling.

The game peaked at chapter 7 for me. It was all downhill after that. It's either too linear or too vapid. Once you figure out the seemingly deep but ultimately shallow combat system, whose main strength is its speed and prettiness, it's just a bit dull.

But Fang is still my girl. I still like the characters somewhat. I don't mind the 'cie spam too much. In the end though, I'll just say that my interest in Versus is at an all-time low.

Mystery

Lost Fragment said:
Ingots are definitely not 5%. Maybe 1 out of every 3 turtles drops an ingot on average.

If you're using the Collector's Catalog, I believe it increases the drop rate to 25%, but I'm not sure. Without any equipment, the drop rate is 5%. At least, that's what I read from some Japanese guy who was giving a guide on beating Adamantoises. Sometimes I'll get 3 Ingots in a row, but about a day ago, I got 2 Ingots from about 30 turtles.

Lain

I reached chapter 10 and came to the realization that I only really like Lightning.
The other characters, for a reason or another, still don't sit too well with me.

Amir0x

Banned
I totally did amateur video of my CP Farm circuit... the best way I can see for the moment until I get that damned Growth Egg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laAyfCXcdZM

10,000 average circuit in like 2 minutes, would be 20,000 circuit with growth egg. 300,000CP in under an hour. It's good for early grinding in Pulse to get to a place where you can take on a great many of the hunts.

I guess I'm not the first one with this idea since I searched for the vid and seen someone else posted an extremely similar video, but hey!

It's video of my 1337 fighting skillz in action.

Ponn

Banned
Himuro said:
No, I didn't say that. Both packages are highly flawed.

My bad, I misunderstood what you meant by "it doesn't really explicitly tell you where the mark is" and "You have to travel across a huge ass plane on foot, and it takes minutes to get from one place to another."

All in all i'm really just messing with you. It's not like every Final Fantasy game is universally loved, all of them have their haters and lovers and I understand that.

I'm just enjoying this one for myself and that is what matters.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Amir0x said:
I totally did amateur video of my CP Farm circuit... the best way I can see for the moment until I get that damned Growth Egg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laAyfCXcdZM

10,000 average circuit in like 2 minutes, would be 20,000 circuit with growth egg. 300,000CP in under an hour. It's good for early grinding in Pulse to get to a place where you can take on a great many of the hunts.

I guess I'm not the first one with this idea since I searched for the vid and seen someone else posted an extremely similar video, but hey!

It's video of my 1337 fighting skillz in action.

Awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
Giolon said:

Learning what?

You need more learning? You need to game the hold your hand even more!? It was a tutorial for 25 hours! The game picked its party members for you, it limited the class you had, it restrained the Crystarium... for 25 fucking hours!

Besides, there was no "momentum killing" from Gran Pulse... literally almost the entire area is optional. You can bypass it all and do only the story parts and you'll be out of there in a few hours.

No, FFXIII's Gran Pulse illustrates why games need freedom - it's the flexibility that allows gamers to choose how they approach the gameplay a title provides, a way to mix things up and feel like you're in control. A crucial way to make MULTIPLE PLAYTHROUGHS interesting, as well as the first playthrough.

FFXIII is going to be one of the worst FF games of all time to replay.

If you like to be dominated by games, that just might be your personality... but not me.

Himuro said:
How are you doing so much damage to it? Have you been upgrading your weapons or is this via crystarium?

Well, I have Helter-Skelter upgraded to lvl 40. And I have Brutal something or other... I forgot the name... gives you boost to str on Lightning.

jiggle

Himuro said:
Level 40? What the fuck? I'm at like level 12 on mine. Did you get enough supplies to level it up that much through Gran Pulse or did you get the supplies from the game's natural story progression?

u can max out ver 2 of all ur weapons by farming the mission that drops tietric tiara/crown (mission4?)
fight is right next to ceith
lasts 30-40 seconds
5 bomb cores guaranteed drop per fight
99 bomb cores can take u to lv53 or so with a triple multiplier

decent money maker too, 99 bomb cores sell for 72,000, the crown sells for 15,000
the tiara is worth keeping

Amir0x

Banned
well, the way I did it was in that one hallway in the chip, I fought a circuit of soldiers which had a high rate of incentive chip drops. I got up to around 200,000 gil, and purchased many upgrade stuffs.

36 Sturdy Bones for 200% value > A variety of those 800gil Upgrade stuffs -> Maxed Gladius at 26 -> Used stone to upgrade (already had it in my inventory) -> Helter-Skelter lvl19. Then the rest has been upgraded naturally over the course of the lvls.

Jiggle said:
u can max out ver 2 of all ur weapons by farming the mission that drops tietric tiara/crown (mission4?)
fight is right next to ceith
lasts 30-40 seconds
5 bomb cores guaranteed drop per fight
99 bomb cores can take u to lv53 or so with a triple multiplier

Mission 7. Kinda slow way for money but definitely viable course for Bomb Cores. Although, if you attempt farming early on, it'll be a lot slower than 30-40 secs (like 1min30sec)

Also make sure you have Collector's Catalog/Connoisseur's Catalog for 5x drop rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom