• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
chandoog said:
I've got a little story question if someone could please help answer it, kinda end-game spoilerish.

What does the messed-up state of the L'Cie tatoo represent ? IIRC everyone got one like Fang's before the final fight, does it represent the stage of a L'Cie almost to the end of their focus ?

I always thought
it represented Ragnarok and those who have it would be adequate vessels for him. I guess that doesn't really explain the pre-final final boss fight, so I'll just say it stands for FRIENDSHIP!

diddlyD

Banned
yeah im done for the night. 9th attempt failed.

had him down to about a million hp, then he dies irae's me and killed my main again, i swear she was in the green and i have no idea how it killed her, but what can i do.

i do know this is the first fight where he didn't one shot me with the sword smash. i have no idea why not, after 8 times in a row of instant death.

i guess what i'm finding most frustrating is that it seems everyone else i've heard talk about beating the game is acting like the last boss is no trouble at all, but i'm seeing this dude one shot me over and over. he's spamming death on me, he just never stops. he's also spamming status effects that block my spells a lot and leave my whole party sitting there doing nothing, and i don't have the items to cancel them. again, nothing i've read mentions this even being an issue. one guide on gamefaqs says "you may need 2-3 staggers to kill this guy", and wtf because after 3 staggers he's still at 60% or more hp for me, and i have fully leveled characters spamming on him as cmd's and rvg's with haste and bravery and faith on. wtf more can i do?

man i miss ffx, where i think i killed the last boss in like 3 hits. that's not possible in this game because of the locked crystarium.

Toki767

diddlyD said:
8th attempt: dead in one shot. this time without deprotect so i don't know anymore.

this time it only did like 5000hp i think? but i still died anyway. lighting has like 9000hp but i think at the time she only had 6000 left or something. i don't even know why that killed her. but it did.

game needs an instant replay, because without it, as far as i'm concerned, what just happened is a giant fucking error.
I'm guessing you're facing
Orphan?

If so, the sword move does percentage damage depending on your current health. It will however, kill anyone under deprotect so make sure that you have someone cast Esuna ASAP when they're hit with deprotect.
Poison
will also almost guarantee a win.

diddlyD

Banned
Toki767 said:
I'm guessing you're facing
Orphan?

If so, the sword move does percentage damage depending on your current health. It will however, kill anyone under deprotect so make sure that you have someone cast Esuna ASAP when they're hit with deprotect.
Poison
will also almost guarantee a win.

now that i've fought him 9 times, and read what you've said elsewhere, i can confirm, at least on my ps3 and my copy of the game, this isn't true. i died many times in one shot without deprotect on, and my 9th attempt where i finally didn't get one shot, he smashed me about 3 times when characters had deprotect and they didn't die. also, he often deprotects the party 2 seconds before doing the smash.

maybe my ps3 had corrupt memory. or i got a special beta copy of the game.

Toki767

diddlyD said:
now that i've fought him 9 times, and read what you've said elsewhere, i can confirm, at least on my ps3 and my copy of the game, this isn't true. i died many times in one shot without deprotect on, and my 9th attempt where i finally didn't get one shot, he smashed me about 3 times when characters had deprotect and they didn't die. also, he often deprotects the party 2 seconds before doing the smash.

Were you under weak status? Because that will cause you to die too. Might I suggest using Vanille and Fang as dual Saboteurs?

Jesus christ at mission 51, the last T. challenge. I spent forever raising that bar to at least 350 each time constantly forced to switch sets to heal, then when i get a quarter of the way through his enormous HP, praying that he targets the sentinel, then finally at 50% getting extremely nervous, only to fail and wasting 15 minutes of my life each attempt.

I even did it controlling the sentinel which went much slower but got even farther only to have the bastard cast doom on me. I was soooooo fucking pissed. 3 hours on one fucking battle.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Jesus christ at mission 51, the last T. challenge. I spent forever raising that bar to at least 350 each time constantly forced to switch sets to heal, then when i get a quarter of the way through his enormous HP, praying that he targets the sentinel, then finally at 50% getting extremely nervous, only to fail and wasting 15 minutes of my life each attempt.

I even did it controlling the sentinel which went much slower but got even farther only to have the bastard cast doom on me. I was soooooo fucking pissed. 3 hours on one fucking battle.

Yeah that fight's a bitch. I was able to do it with Light/Fang/Hope with constant buffing/debuffing and Com/Rav/Sen formation. You could try summoning to buy you some time when the doom counter appears but it probably won't be enough if you're only getting it down to 50%.

Neil

chandoog said:
I've got a little story question if someone could please help answer it, kinda end-game spoilerish.

What does the messed-up state of the L'Cie tatoo represent ? IIRC everyone got one like Fang's before the final fight, does it represent the stage of a L'Cie almost to the end of their focus ?

I believe if you read the story in the 'events' bit in the main menu, it says that Fang's has become 'scorched' or something like that, and isn't progressing anymore. Which is why she's always worried about Vanille's brand, as it is changing...

mr_nothin

Banned
diddlyD said:

I'm not sure what boss/summon or w/e you're at (i dont want to get spoiled) but on the 1st summon-fight, I died a bunch with 1 hit insta-deaths. It was weird...after the 4th try, it didnt happen any more even though I was hit with the same move while having he same HP amount. This was on the 360 version though.

Also, I'm 16 hours into this game and I think it's the weakest FF in the main series....by FAR. Feels like FF-Lite or "FF for Dummies" or an "Intro to....FF" game. It's starting to get on my nerves.

Grampasso

10 hours into the game and the party is still split up in couples, making fights iperboring >_> How much till the party will be reunited?
For the record, I've already got Odin and regained control over Hope/Light

diddlyD

Banned
beat it with poison... i feel cheap but whatever.

ending:
meh... contrived ending that really didn't wrap up much in a satisfactory manner. what was their focus after all? why did they turn to cieth? how did they turn back? how did fang and vanille know they could turn into vanille's summon (was it?)? and make a pillar for cocoon? how did sarah and the kid just walk out of nowhere to find the rest of the crew? how did they get there?

i guess i buy the whole falcie using humans for their potential thing, but too many bizarre things happened at the end there to really make sense. the ending didn't play within the rules the rest of the story had revealed to us, and way too much coincidental stuff occured without explanation.

regardless, in hindsight i'll probably think quite fondly of the game overall, at least as much as ffx, which is pretty high up there on my ff list.

and sweet, now i don't have to fear spoiler tags in this thread anymore!

Grampasso said:
10 hours into the game and the party is still split up in couples, making fights iperboring >_> How much till the party will be reunited?
For the record, I've already got Odin and regained control over Hope/Light

The whole party wont be reunited for at least 7 more hour if you run through the next chapters pretty fast, sorry. Still, you are right at the part where character development starts to happen so enjoy that.

Toki767

diddlyD said:
beat it with poison... i feel cheap but whatever.

ending:
meh... contrived ending that really didn't wrap up much in a satisfactory manner. what was their focus after all? why did they turn to cieth? how did they turn back? how did fang and vanille know they could turn into vanille's summon (was it?)? and make a pillar for cocoon? how did sarah and the kid just walk out of nowhere to find the rest of the crew? how did they get there?

i guess i buy the whole falcie using humans for their potential thing, but too many bizarre things happened at the end there to really make sense. the ending didn't play within the rules the rest of the story had revealed to us, and way too much coincidental stuff occured without explanation.

regardless, in hindsight i'll probably think quite fondly of the game overall, at least as much as ffx, which is pretty high up there on my ff list.

and sweet, now i don't have to fear spoiler tags in this thread anymore!
I'm fairly sure them turning into cieth was an illusion in order to get Vanille and Fang to give up hope. Though it wouldn't really surprise me if they really did turn into cieth and broke out somehow. Their focus is debatable. It could have been to save Cocoon or it could've been what Barthandalus told them. My opinion is that they didn't fulfill their focus, but they broke their focus through their willpower. Also fairly sure Fang and Vanille turned into Ragnarok, but used the power of Ragnarok to save Cocoon instead of destroying it.

I definitely enjoyed the game for what it was. I don't know that I can rank where this game would fall in relation to previous FF games since I'm still kind of taking it all in. The way I like to rank games though is based on how I feel looking back at them after a while and not how I feel right after I see the ending.

expy

Banned
Vect said:
How am I suppose to kill this retarded
big ass Cactuar
even if I manage to Daze him.
I had Snow in sentinel, while Fang and Light went at it on him. Had mainly three paradigms.
party: fang/snow/light (go in with shrouds)
paradigms:
- syn/sent/syn (buff with
fire
damage)
- com/sent/com (attack!)
- med/sent/med (hp below 7000-8000)

Styles

expy said:
I had Snow in sentinel, while Fang and Light went at it on him. Had mainly three paradigms.
party: fang/snow/light (go in with shrouds)
paradigms:
- syn/sent/syn (buff with
fire
damage)
- com/sent/com (attack!)
- med/sent/med (hp below 7000-8000)

Finally defeated him after stopping for a few hours. Had everybody equipped with 2 speed sash so I could gain random chain. I got lucky and staggered him with Fang, killed him in 30 seconds and got 5 stars.:lol

zewone

Toki767 said:
I'm fairly sure them turning into cieth was an illusion in order to get Vanille and Fang to give up hope. Though it wouldn't really surprise me if they really did turn into cieth and broke out somehow. Their focus is debatable. It could have been to save Cocoon or it could've been what Barthandalus told them. My opinion is that they didn't fulfill their focus, but they broke their focus through their willpower. Also fairly sure Fang and Vanille turned into Ragnarok, but used the power of Ragnarok to save Cocoon instead of destroying it.

I definitely enjoyed the game for what it was. I don't know that I can rank where this game would fall in relation to previous FF games since I'm still kind of taking it all in. The way I like to rank games though is based on how I feel looking back at them after a while and not how I feel right after I see the ending.
It was Ragnarok, but it's look was a combination of both of their summons.

*ending discussion*

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Naeblish said:
And per hunt, do you get better item rewards based on the amount of stars?

5 Stars - Primary reward
<5 - Secondary reward

Pooya

Dresden said:
Maybe it just doesn't do anything particularly well. I loved the game up until chapter 9, and going through 9 and 10 kinda killed it for me and I had to take a break for a bit. And when I come back, it's filled with tedious MMO-style questing followed by more dungeon crawling.

The game peaked at chapter 7 for me. It was all downhill after that. It's either too linear or too vapid. Once you figure out the seemingly deep but ultimately shallow combat system, whose main strength is its speed and prettiness, it's just a bit dull.

But Fang is still my girl. I still like the characters somewhat. I don't mind the 'cie spam too much. In the end though, I'll just say that my interest in Versus is at an all-time low.
I feel exactly the same. the whole game went downhill after chapter 9.

Amir0x

Banned
Alex said:
There's no "one of the" about it, half of the game is nothing but anime and autobattles and the second half is still rather empty compared to older titles. If you're replaying this, it's all for cutscenes. It's not like even once you toughed it down to Pulse it would give you leg room with all of the restrictions. It's really a once and done game, IMO.

A true shame. But other FFs are to come!

Giolon said:
How shocking! I like games that have a finely tuned difficulty curve! That's crazy talk.

No see that's not what the comment implied. Because you can go and finish the game without grinding in chp11. The natural flow of the game allows this. It's more challenging, but not even close to impossible from all accounts.

The game IS finely tuned difficulty... toward the challenging end of the spectrum, if most people are anything to go by (I find the game painfully easy, personally).

What you want is everything to be easy. Being easier doesn't make a difficulty curve more "finely tuned."

Pooya

FTWer said:
REALLY?
You liked the 2 member only & one straight line pathways of the first 9 chapters?
no, I was talking about story and how boring the game got in ch10. gran pulse is good fun but story is really terrible after chapter 9. The combat loses it's charm after a while, ch12 and ch13 are just really tedious with so many forced and unavoidable fights, near the end of ch13 I was just wanted the game to finish. the game could be a lot shorter, lots of unnecessary filler is in there.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Toki767 said:

I was reading through the FF wiki and liked their description of the ending.

Fang and Vanille finally finished their original focus and helped "destroy" cocoon by turning into Ragnarok as the original vision depicts at the start of the game, but then they also "saved" it while they had power and turned to crystal immediately afterwards.

A question regarding the OST of FF13, is there a track on it, that extends the part of Serah's theme after 1:04 minutes of it, as seen here, like in chapter 7 or 8, not sure at the moment,
in Hopes home, when Lightning and Snow are talking in the bedroom? If this is even considered spoiling.

Caj814

So yeah,is it worth going into leveling up other jobs for characters now that
The Crystarium for me just opened up completely?How much further are the default jobs going to go before you can no longer progress when it comes to learning skills

Ricker

I thought the missions followed in order when ever you found a stone?...I did the first 6,which where D class but now all of a sudden,it jumped to 9,which is a C class...what happened to mission 7 and 8?...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Caj814 said:
So yeah,is it worth going into leveling up other jobs for characters now that
The Crystarium for me just opened up completely?How much further are the default jobs going to go before you can no longer progress when it comes to learning skills

It' s worth it for some characters/roles. E.g., in the
Synergist role, Vanille and Fang both get more powerful versions of Shell and Protect that Hope and Sazh never acquire
. I also think that if you want one of the trophies/achievements you have to fill out the Crystarium completely (all roles) for each character. I might be wrong about that one though.

Zoe

Giolon said:
I don't have a strict problem with a game opening up to non-linearity towards the end per se, but I prefer when it does, if it does at all, that it's in a way that really contributes to the story instead of sidetracking you from it as FFXIII does.

It does contribute to the story though.
They lost track of how long they had been on Pulse, and it led to Hope falling into despair.

Ikkarus

I've reached Hecatoncheir and I'm struggiling to raise the Gestalt meter fast enough. I've got Fang as Sentinel and have Vanille as Sabotuer debuffing him at the start, after that I either switch Fang to Cammando and Vanille as Ravager or if Fang needs healing switch Vanille to Medic.

This is the first eidolon in which I always run out of time on. Am I going to need to cast buffs on me prior to this fight?

I havn't bothered doing so with any of the other battles but this one is proving to be a pain to complete.

Loving the game by the way, Chapter 11 is where it gets real good.

orion434

I beat FFXIII last night, not that difficult since I had 1 Ultimate Weapon and I farmed enough CP that I had maxed out each character's 3 main jobs ( also 300K - 400K extra for Lv 10 ) I used the Adamantiose Death-spam and it works even for a low-level party. Basically I had Vanille + Fang as Sab & Lightning as Ravager. If you have Sprint Shoes + Aura Scarf you can get off 8 casts of Death before it gets up and does 10K+ damage to everyone ( and then instant retry ) Of course you first have to summon so you have to have 3 TP... which isn't a problem as there are 2 groups of soliders that are easy to 5-star. From about 1 hour of doing this I got 4 Platinum Ingots and 1 Trap... I had both Catalogs :) Now off to the Mark missions.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
rayner said:
I beat FFXIII last night, not that difficult since I had 1 Ultimate Weapon and I farmed enough CP that I had maxed out each character's 3 main jobs ( also 300K - 400K extra for Lv 10 ) I used the Adamantiose Death-spam and it works even for a low-level party. Basically I had Vanille + Fang as Sab & Lightning as Ravager. If you have Sprint Shoes + Aura Scarf you can get off 8 casts of Death before it gets up and does 10K+ damage to everyone ( and then instant retry ) Of course you first have to summon so you have to have 3 TP... which isn't a problem as there are 2 groups of soliders that are easy to 5-star. From about 1 hour of doing this I got 4 Platinum Ingots and 1 Trap... I had both Catalogs :) Now off to the Mark missions.

Is the
Eden
Turtle available after end-game?

orion434

luxarific said:
Is the
Eden
Turtle available after end-game?

To tell you the truth I don't really know... After the end it leaves you at a portal... I didn't go through it yet. I assume it goes back to Grand Pulse... and there is a Mark Mission Teleport in
Eden
so I'd say yes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone else disappointed that (mission spoilers!)
Jumbo Cactuar does less than 10k depending on the others armor? It would've been better if it was non-damage based and just scripted 10k.

BluWacky

Gamer @ Heart said:

If you keep a Sentinel on at pretty much all times he always targets them, Challenge/Provoke never fails. If you've done all the missions up to that point then you should be plenty strong enough to withstand most of his attacks except perhaps his final one.

I switched between Delta Attack and Mystic Tower just driving up the Chain Guage as far as possible (plus occasional Combat Clinic / Protection) before wailing on him with Aggression for a bit, then getting some debuffs in with Evened Odds in the moments between major attacks.

There's no point in controlling your Sentinel for that battle - let them challenge him themselves and then it doesn't matter which defensive paradigm they use really, they'll usually be sensible and pick Mediguard.

rayner said:
To tell you the truth I don't really know... After the end it leaves you at a portal... I didn't go through it yet. I assume it goes back to Grand Pulse... and there is a Mark Mission Teleport in
Eden
so I'd say yes.

Well the portal takes you to Vallis Media Base Camp, the place where we landed in Chpt 11

I like the combat, deffinately the best feature in this game besides the cutscenes.

Unfortuneately I can't say I like the story-telling or linear progression. I'm really missing having the opportunity to roam around and visit towns. The character development is based largely on 1 on 1 conversations Bioware-style which I'm not a fan of at all. Videogames are an interactive, visual and audio experience, I don't want the back story of these characters to be told through dry mellodramatic conversations that interrupt my progress every 5 minutes down the road. There is so little exposure to any other characters other than the main 6 that I don't feel like there is a fully-realized world in this game, more like a narrow perspective into a generic fantasy land.

So far I'd have to put this very low on my list, probably below FFVIII

For refference my progress so far:
I'm in the big ship fighting that old sanctum leader for the first? time

Zoe

Yoshichan said:
Anyone else disappointed that (mission spoilers!)
Jumbo Cactuar does less than 10k depending on the others armor? It would've been better if it was non-damage based and just scripted 10k.

Eh?
What accessories are you using to lessen the damage?

orion434

Dedication Through Light said:
Well the portal takes you to Vallis Media Base Camp, the place where we landed in Chpt 11

If you go back through the portal where does it leave you? I was so tired last night...

rayner said:
If you go back through the portal where does it leave you? I was so tired last night...

The portal will take you to Vallis Media (base camp) and then if you go back through, it brings you right back to where the portal was in Chapter 12, respectively.The other portal seems to take you back to the beginning of the chamber though I have no clue why anyone would go through the entire chamber place all over again.

MechaX

marathonfool said:
You don't need to grind at all. Just do the Missions in order of ranking. Fight the monsters you see on your path and the ones guarding treasure chests.

I completed 60 of 64 missions with lvl 1 weapons and accessories. You can nullify the low HP with damage reduction accessories and Sentinels.

I agree, grinding is the most boring, tedious gameplay possible in a game. There's a decent challenge in the missions if you want it, but it's not impossible with all the different tools are your disposal. You have to be flexible and change your gear/party to match up with the enemy.

Mission 62 and to a lesser extent, 64 should be your main concerns at this point (62 due to the spamming of AOE attacks). But hey, if you can do it, go for it. You might want to use the death method on 63, and 64 is easily broken by switching to SEN/SEN/SEN whenever he does his AOE attack.

I'm personally curious on how in the world you're going to be able to fight Long Gui, if you intend to.

Ricker

Since no one answered my question,I googled stuff and actually found a pretty good site with all the missions locations and grades and the like...I thought they where given in order from any stone but when I missed a few,I wanted to make sure I didn`t mess things up...maybe it`s been posted before but anyway,here is a good one:

http://twobrothersandasister.com/?p=6455

K' Dash

usea said:
Uh, no. After a long cutscene it drops you right into the battle with a forced party. You don't get the chance to switch at all.

After the battle you can switch. Of course it erases all your paradigms for your trouble. Thanks, game!

It is suposed you kill the robot with Odin, if you noticed the target time for that fight is 36 seconds, if you can't kill it within that target time..........

usea

K' Dash said:
It is suposed you kill the robot with Odin, if you noticed the target time for that fight is 36 seconds, if you can't kill it within that target time..........
I'm not super familiar with how to use summons, but basically I just use the abilities until I only have a couple time units left, then I hit triangle for the special attack or whatever. It did like 29k damage.

depths20XX

How many classes does each character eventually have?

I'm on Chapter 9 and each character only has 3 different classes, no reason to use half the cast.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is there any big misstep regarding what weapon I choose to upgrade to the ultimate form? For instance, if I'm fond of Axis Blade and I want to upgrade it, will I get screwed later for not going with Gladius?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom