• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cep

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
In or out of vehicle form? I think I laughed (out loud!) at nearly every single summon transformation.

I'm glad it ended where it did. We could have gotten a repeat of MGS4 all over again. Instead, it's nice and short and leaves out all the soap opera wedding junk that surely occurred off-screen.

That kind of thing is only for games that are interested in worldbuilding.

Out of vehicle mode of course.

The only vehicle that was not made of fail was Alexander.

Amir0x

Banned
C.T. said:
You should be strong enough now without a preemptive. Cast haste and change to rav/com/rav. When his bar is high enough change to com/com/com and he goes down easily. You might not be able to launch him in the air and he might transform but with haste you can prevent him from using his attacks and he goes down in no time.

I am strong enough, it just takes SIGNIFICANTLY longer. I am trying to CP farm, not play for style points ;)

Magnus said:
Amir0x, thanks for the vid man. I employed your video strategy (nearly to a T, made some variations of my own to make it work), and I can almost get them down as fast as you now, with only about a half hour or so of back and forth grinding, which is about all I'm willing to do anyway.

Everyone has one role at Level 4, that's all I need to keep going I guess.

I'm torn now between going after missions (only did 3 or 4), or continuing on with the story.

You're welcome. It really helped me break out in Gran Pulse early on, I was really happy I stumbled on it. From what I understand there are somewhat better ways to CP farm later on, especially when you get the growth egg, but until then gotta take what I can get :D

Now I just need to find a good way to make gil. Farming gil takes FOREVER

Peff

Amir0x said:
Now I just need to find a good way to make gil. Farming gil takes FOREVER

I think you're better off advancing a bit in the story for that one right now. Look for mission 24 which is mandatory.

jiggle

finished it last night

Decent ending. The whole scene with Orphan had me scratching me head. I know what they were going for at the very end, but it really lacked the emotional punch of the other FFs. Even the horrible FF12 had a better ending. Don't know if it was because of the writing or the characters. Nojima would've been able to do the ending justice. But wow, Amano's logo is total spoiler.

overall, quite enjoyed the game despite its MANY problems
i'd rank the series 8 > 7 > 10 > 9 > 1 > 6 > 13 > 4 > 5 >>>>>>>>> 3 > 12 > 2

bring on FFXIII-2!

jiggle said:
finished it last night

Decent ending. The whole scene with Orphan had me scratching me head. I know what they were going for at the very end, but it really lacked the emotional punch of the other FFs. Even the horrible FF12 had a better ending. Don't know if it was because of the writing or the characters. Nojima would've been able to do the ending justice. But wow, Amano's logo is total spoiler.

bring on FFXIII-2!

I just want to say that that is one of the most interesting lists I've ever seen.

Cep

Banned
FateBreaker said:
I just want to say that that is one of the most interesting lists I've ever seen.

It is all I can do to not comment on it.

Dude has some interesting taste. I disagree with it completely, but it is bold.

Magnus said:
Because it was basically a castle. :lol

With lasers. EVERYTHING is better with lasers.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Right now I'm at the end of chapter 8 but the game is still good. Probably one of my favorite Final Fantasies (although I won't make that conclusion until I beat the game).

This game was a pleasant surprise and I hope Versus XIII is similar in change to the mainstream FF series but also keeps some things that XIII left out (world map, airships, etc.).

Regarding Versus XIII, is that in the same universe as FFXIII or does it just revolve around the same motif (crystals)?

MrDenny

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm glad it ended where it did. We could have gotten a repeat of MGS4 all over again. Instead, it's nice and short and leaves out all the soap opera wedding junk that surely occurred off-screen.
I meant they could of done it like FFX, where they showed life after sin with yuna giving her speech.
Wish they gave more closure on how cocoon ended up (the civilians, leadership, life after the sanctum's rule).
With all the hints they been dropping in interview, I wouldn't be surprised if FFXIII-2 is in development already.

Rpgmonkey

Cep said:
Out of vehicle mode of course.

The only vehicle that was not made of fail was Alexander.

I think the vehicle modes would've actually been interesting if each one got their own interactive sequences outside of battle.

It's easily one of the biggest disappointments I had because I was envisioning stuff like that being in the game since the moment Shivabike was revealed. :lol

MechaX

Rpgmonkey said:
But yes,
Jihl and/or Rosch should have become Cocoon l'Cie and even gotten their own Eidolon to summon, or at least Cid. I feel it's just yet another great opportunity to make the l'Cie/Eidolon concept more interesting that they didn't take. :p

Personally, I thought this was going to happen the moment they were shown in the trailers. I was actually more disappointed that it didn't happen. Edit:
Wait a minute.. Why didn't Barthandelus just make Jihl and Rosch L'Cie to begin with?

Labombadog said:
My only complaint on hunts is that if you don't get a 5 star then you have to go all the way back to the stone and redo it until you get a 5 star on it. Ugh.

Unless I am missing something...?

uggg tell me this isn't true.

jiggle

Shrinnan said:
Regarding Versus XIII, is that in the same universe as FFXIII or does it just revolve around the same motif (crystals)?

It involves
the Maker
and his fal'cie and l'cie in a dif world, i think?

jiggle said:
Decent ending.
The whole scene with Orphan had me scratching me head. I know what they were going for at the very end, but it really lacked the emotional punch of the other FFs. Even the horrible FF12 had a better ending. Don't know if it was because of the writing or the characters. Nojima would've been able to do the ending justice. But wow, Amano's logo is total spoiler.
Because Orphan is a lamer who they don't even mention until like... chapter 9. Final Fantasy 12 at least had the decency to make the last boss a character who appears throughout the game.

jiggle said:
This list is awesome. In my head, I'm trying to figure out why on Earth you'd rank them that way, and I just can't do it. It just proves that opinions on this series are so completely far apart from one person to the next because the games are so different that it's kind of pointless to debate quality or complain that "it's not like my favorite FF, therefore the series has finally jumped the shark!"

MrDenny said:
Wish they gave more closure on how cocoon ended up (the civilians, leadership, life after the sanctum's rule).
Again, this is something you'd expect in a game that cared even a little tiny bit about worldbuilding. Which is funny, because the world(s) they've set up is/are interesting, but they do their best to avoid exploiting the potential that's there.

7Th

I don't really think there really is that much material for a SEQUEL in FFXIII. The remaining Pulse fal'Cie don't give a shit about humans, Lindze and Barthandelous were supposed to be same entity and Cocoon's uninteresting, terribly styled, inhabitants are boring and now living in a world protected by two all-knowing entities that are at the very least more powerful than a fal'Cie.

I know that there wasn't much material for a sequel in FFX and they still released X-2... I just think a prequel would work better. Or maybe a sequel/prequel thing like duckroll suggested.

Vamphuntr

icarus-daedelus said:
Because Orphan is a lamer who they don't even mention until like... chapter 9. Final Fantasy 12 at least had the decency to make the last boss a character who appears throughout the game.

Yeah but he wasn't really better. In the opening moments of FF12 people make fun of him during his speech and they throw shit at him. He litteraly doesn nothing until you are at the midpoint. He only started to get bad ass when he ordered Gabranth to kill the female judge.

Cep

Banned
7Th said:
I don't really think there really is that much material for a SEQUEL in FFXIII. The remaining Pulse fal'Cie don't give a shit about humans, Lindze and Barthandelous were supposed to be same entity and Cocoon's uninteresting, terribly styled, inhabitants are boring and now living in a world protected by two all-knowing entities that are at the very least more powerful than a fal'Cie.

I know that there wasn't much material for a sequel in FFX and they still released X-2... I just think a prequel would work better. Or maybe a sequel/prequel thing like duckroll suggested.

Well, the game has such a narrow view of the world in its narrative that it is not at all inconceivable that some of the thing glossed over could be brought to light in a sequel.

Besides, after that ending, you can immediately see one thing that could be an initial/major source of conflict.

I would very much prefer a prequel though, but that would not have Rygdea(
and the others. I would very much hope for a mass villain revival.
), so...

jiggle

kitase/nomura development team's games are awesome, that's why
XIII not as much but looking through the list of developers, it's not hard to see why

one thing i really REALLY love about XIII, is that enfeebling is actually really useful!

7Th said:

I've said before that I'd really prefer a prequel set on Pulse. Besides making more sense from a narrative standpoint, Pulse is a more interesting place and obviously inspires Nomura to design better characters than his typical generic modern/futuristic designs. Plus, it means more Fang, and that can't possibly be a bad thing. :p

Vamphuntr said:
Yeah but he wasn't really better. In the opening moments of FF12 people make fun of him during his speech and they throw shit at him. He litteraly doesn nothing until you are at the midpoint. He only started to get bad ass when he ordered Gabranth to kill the female judge.
I'm not really defending the endboss in FF12, honestly, just saying that it's ever-so-slightly better than what we got here because he at least shows up early in the story. Though Square hasn't really had a great villain since, what, Kefka?

Chapter 13
just got to the part with the couches that Lightning was sitting on in that promo image all those years ago.

Given the materials that they released during the development, it seems like they had a very definite beginning and a definite end point. Hell thinking back on it that first E3 2006 trailer had
the beginning with the Purge, a bit from the middle with the Sunleth Waterway and a bit from near the end with chaos in Eden.

Cep

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
I've said before that I'd really prefer a prequel set on Pulse. Besides making more sense from a narrative standpoint, Pulse is a more interesting place and obviously inspires Nomura to design better characters than his typical generic modern/futuristic designs. Plus, it means more Fang, and that can't possibly be a bad thing. :p

I'm not really defending the endboss in FF12, honestly, just saying that it's ever-so-slightly better than what we got here because he at least shows up early in the story. Though Square hasn't really had a great villain since, what, Kefka?

Kefka is the only good main villain in the series.

Yeah, I said it.

Cep said:
), so...
No problem, just have Ultimecia
the Goddess
conveniently transport them all back in time for no good reason.

Cep said:
Kefka is the only good main villain in the series.

Yeah, I said it.
Pretty much.

MechaX said:
Personally, I thought this was going to happen the moment they were shown in the trailers. I was actually more disappointed that it didn't happen. Edit:
Wait a minute.. Why didn't Barthandelus just make Jihl and Rosch l'Cie to begin with?
Because
a Cocoon fal'Cie cannot give a focus to harm/destroy Cocoon.

Still I remember them hyping up Jihl talking about her hatred of l'Cie and whatnot. And in the end she's just kind of pointless. She's the Vaan of Final Fantasy villains, and that's terrible.

Cep

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Because

Still I remember them hyping up Jihl talking about her hatred of l'Cie and whatnot. And in the end she's just kind of pointless. She's the Vaan of Final Fantasy villains, and that's terrible.

And she did not even have a spray-on abs that we could ridicule.

icarus-daedelus said:

You mean main villains? Cause Dr.Cid is a decent side-villain.

Also you forgot Delita(or are we only talking about the numbered games?).

Cep

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:

Numbered, but Delita definitely is the best.

Giolon

Jihl was pretty damn pointless. She had like what, 3 scenes? I'm pretty sure Square only hyped her up b/c their meganekko quotient was thus far unfilled. Still can't beat Quistis though.

Fimbuletvetr said:
Nah, she's worse than Vaan, because Vaan was a terrible character with terrible design and VA and it was a good thing when they eventually shunted him to the side. Jihl could have made a decent villain, but they
killed her off so early and in such a pathetic manner that she ended up being a waste of a character.

Fimbulvetr said:

Yeah, Dr. Cid was cool. I wish he was the main villain in that game, although that's just another reason why Balthier should have been the real protagonist of 12.

And when we're talking about Square suckage you can pretty much automatically exclude Tactics every time. :p

MechaX

icarus-daedelus said:

Main villain, yeah. For what it's worth, 12 had some of the best supporting villains in the series.

Fimbulvetr said:
Because

True, but
since Barthandelus was manipulating them anyway, he could have just given them a bullshit Focus like protecting Cocoon. At least it would have been an easy source of conflict and development in both of them had the writers found some way for this to work.

Cep

Banned
MechaX said:
Main villain, yeah. For what it's worth, 12 had some of the best supporting villains in the series.

True, but
since Barthandelus was manipulating them anyway, he could have just given them a bullshit Focus like protecting Cocoon. At least it would have been an easy source of conflict and development in both of them had the writers found some way for this to work.

Tears come to my eyes whenever I think of how misused the judges were.

DAMN YOU WATANABE!

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I'm at chapter 9 so far.

The story definitely isn't a masterpiece, in various aspects it could have been better, but it also has its strong points over previous FF stories, and I'm finding it to be very interesting so far. Best character development in the main-numbered FF series so far, IMO. (Party-wise only.)

But, I see several people calling it terrible and then right after praising Nojima's work. Can i ask why exactly? Granted, I'm not a fan of Watanabe's writing (although I enjoy Toriyama's ideas/ plot), but Nojima's work doesn't seems that much better to me. Well, maybe Nojima at his best is, but I find FFXIII's story - so far, to be better than FFVIII's. It'll probably not top FFX's, though, but it already has several things that I find lacking in Nojima's stories, which is the focus on all the party characters instead of only two/ three characters (meanwhile, the two/ three characters in which Nojima tends to focus are usually very well developed, IMO).

So, could anyone explain why they find Nojima's writing drastically superior? (and, curiosity, does FFXIII's story gets better or worse at or after chapter 9?)

7Th

Cep said:
), so...

They could easily put Rydgea's head in the body of any Pulse inhabitant. ;D

BeeDog

FINALLY my fucking copy arrived today, woot! Anyway, got one question before I keep on playing;

Is anything missable in this game (that leads to missing trophies)? Would hate missing something that forces me to replay the entire 50-hour game. Thanks in advance!

BeeDog said:
FINALLY my fucking copy arrived today, woot! Anyway, got one question before I keep on playing;

Is anything missable in this game (that leads to missing trophies)? Would hate missing something that forces me to replay the entire 50-hour game. Thanks in advance!
Nope

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Do you know what my problem is with FF13's story? That the only thing that seems to be on the line is the lives of these 6 ppl. In other games, the world is on the line, and these heroes are fighting to save everyone. Or something like that. Here, it's about them (though that could change as I get further along), and the characters aren't developed enough to the point where I give a fuck if they die. If Snow up and died right now, I wouldn't care. Same with any of them. Though I love FF13, that's my main problem with the story. Well, that, and it's a little confusing at times.

Grivenger said:
I'm at chapter 9 so far.

The story definitely isn't a masterpiece, in various aspects it could have been better, but it also has its strong points over previous FF stories, and I'm finding it to be very interesting so far. Best character development in the main-numbered FF series so far, IMO. (Party-wise only.)

But, I see several people calling it terrible and then right after praising Nojima's work. Can i ask why exactly? Granted, I'm not a fan of Watanabe's writing (although I enjoy Toriyama's ideas/ plot), but Nojima's work doesn't seems that much better to me. Well, maybe Nojima at his best is, but I find FFXIII's story - so far, to be better than FFVIII's. It'll probably not top FFX's, though, but it already has several things that I find lacking in Nojima's stories, which is the focus on all the party characters instead of only two/ three characters (meanwhile, the two/ three characters in which Nojima tends to focus are usually very well developed, IMO).

So, could anyone explain why they find Nojima's writing drastically superior? (and, curiosity, does FFXIII's story gets better or worse at or after chapter 9?)

The thing with Nojima is that his writing is all over the place. I personally enjoy all of his stories but the only games he's involved with that are almost universally accepted as well written are some of the Glory of Heracles games.

Of course I love the story in XIII as well so I'm a bit biased. I honestly thought it got pretty good near the end but probably peaked at chapter 9.

McNum

Well, finally hit chapter 11, and it's kicking my ass. The standard encounters are just plain nasty to me. I might have left
the plains
a bit too soon. Is there a quick way back there? I found a
waystone near a tower, but I can't use it for anything. Please don't tell me that I missed one back in the beginning of the chapter and will have to go back the long way to find it... It'd solve my underleveled problem, though...

So far I'm liking it, I should probably begin looking at getting a set of weapons up to stage 2 about now. And getting me a chocobo. And dying less.

Cep

Banned
7Th said:
They could easily put Rydgea's head in the body of any Pulse inhabitant. ;D

To be quite honest with you, I liked the fact that he had generic body(s).

When it come to character design, I prefer simplicity and practicality, he had both.

Not to mention that the blue of his armor matches his eyes.

LOOK AT THIS MAN(head), WOULD YOU NOT SWITCH TEAMS FOR HIM?!!

Rygdeart.jpg

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
I just heard that Vanille and Fang have Australian accents because they come from the land down under. My mind is blown. :lol

Cep

Banned
Adent said:
I just heard that Vanille and Fang have Australian accents because they come from the land down under. My mind is blown. :lol

First thing that came to mind when I heard their VA. Laughed my ass off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom