• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggle

Grivenger said:
but it already has several things that I find lacking in Nojima's stories, which is the focus on all the party characters instead of only two/ three characters (meanwhile, the two/ three characters in which Nojima tends to focus are usually very well developed, IMO).

i think it's that
i rather connect with 2/3 main characters than have a whole party of ppl i don't care about
for a game that talks so much about focus, it really lacked one in this department
so many potentially good CS suffered cuz of this

ff12 had the same problem too

BeeDog said:
Thanks! Thank god I don't need to keep a look out for anything special/missable then. :D

Actually I think there is one thing that could count as missable.

You get the Loremaster trophy for completely scanning 100 enemies. There are several ways to go about this, cast Libra (uses TP but for most of the first half it's the only thing to really spend TP on), use a Librascope or just through beating enemies. You'll know when an enemy is fully scanned by going into the Datalog and checking the enemy intel. A fully scanned enemy will have a tick next to it's name.

I'm not sure how likely it would be, but I suppose it could be possible to not fill the intel on 100 enemies by the end. Just make sure everything in the datalog has a tick next to it before moving onto the next area.

Adent said:
I just heard that Vanille and Fang have Australian accents because they come from the land down under. My mind is blown. :lol
I can't believe it took you so long to figure it out. :lol I laughed so hard when I realized that.

edit: oh god guys, please don't remind me of Lulu and her ridiculous belt dress -_-

Cep

Banned
jiggle said:
i think it's that
i rather connect with 2/3 main characters than have a whole party of ppl i don't care about
for a game that talks so much about focus, it really lacked one in this department
so many potentially good CS suffered cuz of this

ff12 had the same problem too

FF12 did not demand that you focus on the entire cast. It was actually pretty good at telling you who to focus on and when.

It was just poorly written.

SpokkX

man chapter 11 is loooong

I need som help: I just reached
the tower and have to perform 3 missions to reach level 3. One of the enemies I have to kill is one of those bigger robots + 2 small (and he summons more if they are killed). How am I supposed to kill this guy? I have tried everything. I guess I need a sentinel in front.. but I i still have to keep one healer all the time so it takes tiiime.. any ideas people?

Mandoric

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
But I suppose it could be possible to not fill the intel on 100 enemies by the end. Just make sure everything in the datalog has a tick next to it before moving onto the next area.

Missions alone are 50+. Add in the various environments around Gran Pulse and I'm sure you can hit 100 in ch11.

jiggle said:
overall, quite enjoyed the game despite its MANY problems
i'd rank the series 8 > 7 > 10 > 9 > 1 > 6 > 13 > 4 > 5 >>>>>>>>> 3 > 12 > 2

Didn't see this before. That's quite the unique list you got there. Of course it's probably more similar to mine than anyone else here.

Cep said:
To be quite honest with you, I liked the fact that he had generic body(s).

When it come to character design, I prefer simplicity and practicality, he had both.

Not to mention that the blue of his armor matches his eyes.

LOOK AT THIS MAN(head), WOULD YOU NOT SWITCH TEAMS FOR HIM?!!

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100227022347/finalfantasy/images/9/99/Rygdeart.jpg

He kind of reminds me of Laguna in that pic.

Mandoric

Banned
SpokkX said:

the tower and have to perform 3 missions to reach level 3. One of the enemies I have to kill is one of those bigger robots + 2 small (and he summons more if they are killed). How am I supposed to kill this guy? I have tried everything. I guess I need a sentinel in front.. but I i still have to keep one healer all the time so it takes tiiime.. any ideas people?

Mad rush on the bigger robot, Dispelga when he buffs the little ones, summon when you're almost dead?

SpokkX said:

Find his weakness and kill him, if it is the boxed phalanx and the hoplites, then their weak to lightning, relentless assault with thundaga and such should finish it relatively fast. Combabt Clinic or Renew to heal.

Cep said:
Tears come to my eyes whenever I think of how misused the judges were.

DAMN YOU WATANABE!
The logo and the North American CE box were the coolest uses of the judges in FF12. Somebody at Square needs to be slapped for that.

Cep said:
FF12 did not demand that you focus on the entire cast. It was actually pretty good at telling you who to focus and when.

poorly written
This should be the first thing we all acknowledge when discussing narrative problems in Final Fantasy games.

profit

Adent said:
I just heard that Vanille and Fang have Australian accents because they come from the land down under. My mind is blown. :lol
If you mean what I think you mean,
shouldnt you spoiler that?

Mandoric said:
Missions alone are 50+. Add in the various environments around Gran Pulse and I'm sure you can hit 100 in ch11.
Shit, I got that trophy in chapter 10 without even actively trying. Kind of reminded me of the "dismember 1000 limbs" achievement/trophy from Dead Space... it would be very difficult to play the game the way it was intended and somehow not get it.

I have a question concerning Crystarium and how the leveling works. So I have it at level 3 now but all my roles are set at 1 still. It looks like each level up adds an extra layer on the grid and you just have to keep pushing until you find a role increase? I have two characters that have a role increase on their latest grid (not enough CP to get there yet) but my other characters don't even have a role increase node as far as I can see. So apparently the crystarium level increases far more rapidly than the role levels? I found it odd that you have to level up the crystarium just to access more layers on the same role level. Am I getting this right? Some characters just have to dig much deeper to go up a level in a role?

Cep

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Shit, I got that trophy in chapter 10 without even actively trying. Kind of reminded me of the "dismember 1000 limbs" achievement/trophy from Dead Space... it would be very difficult to play the game the way it was intended and somehow not get it.

Pulsian Pioneer?

jiggle

SquallASF said:
I have a question concerning Crystarium and how the leveling works. So I have it at level 3 now but all my roles are set at 1 still. It looks like each level up adds an extra layer on the grid and you just have to keep pushing until you find a role increase? I have two characters that have a role increase on their latest grid (not enough CP to get there yet) but my other characters don't even have a role increase node as far as I can see. So apparently the crystarium level increases far more rapidly than the role levels? I found it odd that you have to level up the crystarium just to access more layers on the same role level. Am I getting this right? Some characters just have to dig much deeper to go up a level in a role?

There are a total of
stages of crystarium and
role levels per job

SquallASF said:

The Role levels don't have anything to do with developing the Crystarium. Leveling up the roles increases the Role Bonus when you switch to that role, i.e. a Lvl4 SEN will get a bigger damage resistance bonus than a lvl.2 SEN.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The linearity didn't really bother me (aside from the repetitive chapter 10. At least 9 was exciting and had slight setting variation) but I'm loving how the game opened up.

Doing marks on Pulse (definitely leaving 5 staring for later though) and yep, like everyone said upgrading weapons is a necessity in this chapter. This is one of those times I don't feel bad about using a guide and tricks for this kind of thing because the upgrading system is sort of hm, not interesting.

Grivenger said:
The story definitely isn't a masterpiece, in various aspects it could have been better, but it also has its strong points over previous FF stories, and I'm finding it to be very interesting so far. Best character development in the main-numbered FF series so far, IMO. (Party-wise only.)

But, I see several people calling it terrible and then right after praising Nojima's work.

So, could anyone explain why they find Nojima's writing drastically superior?
Well, I don't think I've ever praised Nojima, so I can't give you a proper answer, but I don't find anything in 13 to be any worse than your average Final Fantasy story, so I do agree that the hate is overstated.

Cep said:
Pulsian Pioneer?
...what?

expy said:
Dude what's up wit the identical avatar.
To remind you how awesome Fang is without constantly repeating that she's the best thing to come out of this game by a good green country mile in every post.

Pooya

Wada comments on FFVII Remake
“Right now we don’t have a clear direction, but many fans have requested we remake Final Fantasy VII,” said Yoichi Wada, President and CEO of Square Enix, said to Siliconera during an interview at the Final Fantasy XIII launch party. “We’re going to explore the possibility – whether or not we’re going to do it, if we’re going to do it, and the platform,
for DS confirmed:lol

Die Squirrel Die said:
The Role levels don't have anything to do with developing the Crystarium. Leveling up the roles increases the Role Bonus when you switch to that role, i.e. a Lvl4 SEN will get a bigger damage resistance bonus than a lvl.2 SEN.

Aha, that makes more sense. So my question changes to how the deus do you level up roles? :lol I would think that if I have every node in a role uncovered with Crystarium level 3, I'd have at least went up one level by now.

SquallASF said:
Aha, that makes more sense. So my question changes to how the deus do you level up roles? :lol I would think that if I have every node in a role uncovered with Crystarium level 3, I'd have at least went up one level by now.

As the Crystarium expands the Role Level crystal will appear. When you see one make a beeline for it.

And woohoo, Leona Lewis.

McNum

SquallASF said:

Easy, you pick the Role Level nodes. You'll see them soon enough.

Die Squirrel Die said:
As the Crystarium expands the Role Level crystal will appear. When you see one make a beeline for it.

And woohoo, Leona Lewis.

Those are the nodes I was referring to so I thought you meant those nodes just give the bonus haha Ok, so those nodes do infact increase the level and you get the bonuses for having gained the level. I figured those nodes were the key, but only a few characters even have that node accessable yet so I thought it odd that all characters didn't contain the node at the same time. I guess some characters just take longer to level up. On that note, at what level does Hope learn Haste?

KZObsessed

6 Adamantoises killed... 4 Platinum Ingots and 1 Trapezohedron. heh, my lucky day. I now have a mastered ultimate weapon for Lightning and Fang.

Giolon

KZObsessed said:
6 Adamantoises killed... 4 Platinum Ingots and 1 Trapezohedron. heh, my lucky day. I now have a mastered ultimate weapon for Lightning and Fang.

Goddamn. I've killed 10 Adamantoises and 2 Adamantortoises and my grand loot haul total: 0 Ingots, 0 Trapezohedrons, 1 Fortisol. Random number generators hate me.

anddo0

KZObsessed said:

How high does my health have to be to take on these things?

I have everyone at around 10k now.

Zoe

Nose Master said:
Uh, I don't think 5-staring the missions gets you anything different. You just get a unique item the first time you complete it, then get the Secondary item for every repeat.

You get a trophy for 5-starring them.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
commish said:
Do you know what my problem is with FF13's story? That the only thing that seems to be on the line is the lives of these 6 ppl. In other games, the world is on the line, and these heroes are fighting to save everyone. Or something like that. Here, it's about them (though that could change as I get further along), and the characters aren't developed enough to the point where I give a fuck if they die. If Snow up and died right now, I wouldn't care. Same with any of them. Though I love FF13, that's my main problem with the story. Well, that, and it's a little confusing at times.

If World breaking consequences & the fate of millions is your thing, keep playing it. You'll be surprised.

Mandoric

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:

Yeah, I meant that you could do it on ch11 mobs alone if you somehow (by being really careful about what elemental skills you learned, and say never checking for Water resist?) made it there without one complete scan.

Mandoric said:
Yeah, I meant that you could do it on ch11 mobs alone if you somehow (by being really careful about what elemental skills you learned, and say never checking for Water resist?) made it there without one complete scan.
Heh, I know what you were saying. It's really funny that it's a gold trophy, too, because I think it was the first one I got that was something other than "congratulations, you just finished x level!"

desverger

The "Scan 100" enemies achievement popped me on the very first enemies of Ch11. I was surprised!

But I Libra'd everything up to that point (and will continue to do so), so the AI doesn't behave like a klutz.

edit: I have to say the openness of Ch11 is really confusing to me at this point :lol
For a moment I panicked since there were no comfortable walls boxing me in anymore. Too bad about the framerate on X360 though, but yeah, I finished Last Remnant as well, it rendered me invulnerable on framerate problems..

spidye

has anybody else encountered some framedrops in chapter 8 where you have to
chase the little chocobo
other than that the game is pretty smooth. in fact I didn't see any framedrops until that part during gameplay but there are some framedrops during ingame (not the pre-rendered or cg cutscenes) cutscenes. is this normal?
on ps3 btw.

Roxas

Question regarding the final boss....

I've heard there is a "bug" or whatever, that lets you use Poison on Orphan for an easy kill? How exactly do you do it? Im getting owned badly here

Thanks!

Zoe

spidye said:
chase the little chocobo
other than that the game is pretty smooth. in fact I didn't see any framedrops until that part during gameplay but there are some framedrops during ingame (not the pre-rendered or cg cutscenes) cutscenes. is this normal?
on ps3 btw.

I didn't notice any, but you're not the first to mention it.

Diablos

The only time I noticed a low framerate (so far) was in Chapter 9 when fighting one of those mecha turtle-like monsters with the huge scales. It zoomed in on the scales in such a way that the model had a level of tranparency applied so I could see beyond it, since it was taking up ~80% of the screen. The framerate dipped big time, but it was only for a second. That is, honestly, the only time I can recall FFXIII running at less than 30 FPS.

The performance of this game is rock solid (for PS3, at least). It's basically locked at 30 FPS.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is there any way to change the Pulse locations in the map or do I have to physically be there so the mission list will show me where the Cieth stones I've already touched are?

S1kkZ

question: i am at the end of chapter 11.

how long will it take to finish the game? i only have until friday (i have a friends copy).

i maxed out the crystarium at level 8, now i have unlocked level 9 and have almost 500 000 cp for every character left. is it possible to finish the game in this time frame without much stress/frustration? the boss at the end of ch 11 was very easy. i also have 700 000 gil left. i am still at the end of ch. 11, are there any good places to grind?

Finally beat mission 54 with level 1 weapons

Unfortunately, I had to level up my Pain/Fog/Physical Resist accessories to survive the fight. I tried to do it without upgrading but my HP was too low and I don't want to grind. I know there's a cheap way of beating it with random stagger, but I wanted to do it with a legit strategy.

Used my usual Fang, Snow, Hope setup.

Couple of buffing shrouds. Only needed 2 paradigm setups

COM/SEN/MED
SEN/SEN/MED

Anytime Fang was critical, I switched to SEN/SEN/MED to bail myself out. Snow was able absorb most of the damage, but it seemed like provoke/challenge didn't always work. Had to use one bail out summon when things got hairy. Overall, took about 12 minutes with Fang attacking.

Tried out Missions 51. Got the HP down around half before Doom got me. I'll need to change my party up with more RAV. This is one mission where I may need to upgrade my weapons because of Doom. I just don't deal enough damage in time. Will try again later.

Zoe

Diablos said:
The only time I noticed a low framerate (so far) was in Chapter 9 when fighting one of those mecha turtle-like monsters with the huge scales. It zoomed in on the scales in such a way that the model had a level of tranparency applied so I could see beyond it, since it was taking up ~80% of the screen. The framerate dipped big time, but it was only for a second. That is, honestly, the only time I can recall FFXIII running at less than 30 FPS.

The performance of this game is rock solid (for PS3, at least). It's basically locked at 30 FPS.

I've noticed some drops during Hope's special attack, but usually things are too hectic to care when I'm using it anyway :lol

Lince

Banned
spidye said:
chase the little chocobo

yep, and a bit before that in the same chapter too, the game runs so smooth that these split-second hiccups were noticeable to me, I tend to rotate the camera around all the time and my eyes are trained for this shit though... I blame TTP :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom