• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuu said:
Is there any way to change the Pulse locations in the map or do I have to physically be there so the mission list will show me where the Cieth stones I've already touched are?

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but on the map press square (X for Xbox?) and it will bring up the mission list, then press right on the D-Pad and it will tell you the location of the stones you've touched so far, even if you declined the mission, as well as the rank that you attained if you completed it.

Zoe

Die Squirrel Die said:
I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but on the map press square (X for Xbox?) and it will bring up the mission list, then press right on the D-Pad and it will tell you the location of the stones you've touched so far, even if you declined the mission, as well as the rank that you attained if you completed it.

No, he means changing zones on the map screen. It only works in a few places, I don't believe Pulse is one of them.

I noticed that the game was weirdly inconsistant with what maps you could and couldn't look at at any given point. Just one of the many reasons why whoever designed the map system should be fired.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It's what Zoe said, some maps will allow me to change to a sub area but if I'm in, say, the main Pulse area map and the mission I want is in a different zone the list won't show me that stone's location. Wish they didn't overlook this considering that even with a teleport system Gran Pulse is enormous. I seriously thought we'd be able to use transformers!eidolons for transportation when they were first shown in trailers. Lulz.

dreamer3kx said:
I fully upgraded the lightnings gladius sword, how do I get it into second tier sword, thanks

You need a Catalyst. If you've auto-sorted your components they'll be at the bottom of the list, marked by a crystal symbol. If you are in the upgrade menu and have the correct catalyst it will be lit up.

Die Squirrel Die said:
You need a Catalyst. If you've auto-sorted your components they'll be at the bottom of the list, marked by a crystal symbol. If you are in the upgrade menu and have the correct catalyst it will be lit up.

Ahh thanks, i was wondering what those were for, do they even explain this shit or did I miss something?

Zoe

OMG, finally got Death to work on 55!!

But then the little guys totally raped me!!!!!

Luckily I whipped out the summon the second before I was about to die and then the rest of the fight was frantic switching between Phoenix and Rush Assualt :lol :lol :lol

(sorry, dunno the English names)

Edit: doh, tried to celebrate by killing a turtle and got one-shot on the first hit

Amir0x

Banned
Well been a pretty good day on the hunt. Dusted up hunts up til 20 something, and managed to get two pairs of Sprint Shoes... and I upgraded Helter-Skelter to star level

Now I just need to get a Trap which sounds painful from all reports. Yikes.

Giolon

Amir0x said:
Well been a pretty good day on the hunt. Dusted up hunts up til 20 something, and managed to get two pairs of Sprint Shoes... and I upgraded Helter-Skelter to star level

Coolness. Sprint Shoes were a bit disappointing once I made some. The haste effect doesn't last very long, but it can be handy for all those fights that are over in 30 seconds or less.

As for traps, well...I'll just say I'm 0 for 12, and that's with the Connosseur's Catalog and 5-star kills. I'm also 0/12 on Platinum Ingots :(

Amir0x

Banned
Sprint Shoes last, what, a minute fifteen seconds? That's about the amount of time it takes me to finish 90% of battles at this point.

Although even though I took out Juggernaut in the caves (both of them), that one fight seemed to take forever. Even staggered it's just chip-chip-chipping away. It's not hard, just time consuming for me.

P.S. Like in some other FF games, Sprint Shoes should make you walk super fast! All silly like!

Amir0x said:
Although even though I took out Juggernaut in the caves (both of them), that one fight seemed to take forever. Even staggered it's just chip-chip-chipping away. It's not hard, just time consuming for me.

Juggernauts are weak against imperil. When I fought them in the ch 11 cave I didn't grind at all and they still only took like 3 mins.

Giolon

Amir0x said:
Sprint Shoes last, what, a minute fifteen seconds? That's about the amount of time it takes me to finish 90% of battles at this point.

P.S. Like in some other FF games, Sprint Shoes should make you walk super fast! All silly like!

I'm not even sure they last me that long. Might be, be it certainly feels shorter. If there was a faster non-
Chocobo
way to walk around I'd surely take it.

For Juggernauts, Buffs/Debuffs are your friend!

Would somebody be so kind as to explain which components should be used to add exp to weapons? Besides the catalysts for each, does it matter? I haven't bothered with upgrades at all, yet -- Chpt. 11.

Amir0x

Banned
Giolon said:
I'm not even sure they last me that long. Might be, be it certainly feels shorter. If there was a faster non-
Chocobo
way to walk around I'd surely take it.

For Juggernauts, Buffs/Debuffs are your friend!

believe me, Jugg is as debuffed as can be, and we're as buffed as possible :lol

dollartaco said:
Would somebody be so kind as to explain which components should be used to add exp to weapons? Besides the catalysts for each, does it matter? I haven't bothered with upgrades at all, yet -- Chpt. 11.

General Upgrade Flow is...

36 Sturdy Bones for Instant 200% exp bonus -> Dump any mid-range exp items in, anything that gives you 150xp+ is generally a starter.

Once hit chap 11, you can farm Bomb Cores in Mission 7 hunt. You can get 99 Bomb Cores in about 40 minutes, which if you pour them all into a weapon that has 200% bonus, will get you pretty much all the way through your first weapon class. And at least 30 or 40% through your second if you dump another 99.

kagete

Why am I suddenly EXAMINING things in ch. 11? Why was I able to EXAMINE the remote control/console whatever in the earlier chapters and only just that? The hell? Did SE run out of time during development to fully implement examining your surroundings but decided to leave it for the later chapters only? Was the single examinable item earlier just a bug that they forgot to remove?

Goddam, I wish they just had it in the game from the start. Like instead of having datalogs, make clues and backstory slowly reveal themselves thru examination of objects in your environment. I mean, this is how 80% of all other JRPGs does it right? agh i want to rant more about this but im frustrated and unable to articulate myselfg adsefhgkljanqehior3qanbr

Magnus

That's the story of Final Fantasy XIII man; cool things that appear in Chapter 11, that should've been around since the very beginning.

What an incredibly and brutally flawed game. (Why am I still going back to play this in five minutes :lol )

I'm more confident now though. Ground out some CP for an hour total or so, am so much stronger, and am ready for the main story. Fuck the hunts.

Also, the thing that I wasn't getting at first out of most advice re: weapon upgrades was that using synthetic components after getting exp multiplier bonuses from organic components actually decreases or even erases the multiplier. You have to go back and forth to make sure you're back up to 3x (200%) before using a synthetic component each time. Therefore, it seems to be most efficient to get it to 3x (200%), and then use a giant fuckwad of synthetic components at once.

kagete

The examining thing really rubbed me the wrong way because THEY COULD HAVE DONE THIS FROM THE START! Agh it just makes my toes curl...

kagete said:
The examining thing really rubbed me the wrong way because THEY COULD HAVE DONE THIS FROM THE START! Agh it just makes my toes curl...

I think they kept the scope of your interaction with the environment pretty narrow -- literally -- to convey the sense that, at least for 90% of the first chapters, you're on the run. The one time I remember being able to examine was at Hope's house, which was a brief down time.

mr_nothin

Banned
Magnus said:
That's the story of Final Fantasy XIII man; cool things that appear in Chapter 11, that should've been around since the very beginning.

What an incredibly and brutally flawed game. (Why am I still going back to play this in five minutes :lol )

I'm more confident now though. Ground out some CP for an hour total or so, am so much stronger, and am ready for the main story. Fuck the hunts.

Also, the thing that I wasn't getting at first out of most advice re: weapon upgrades was that using synthetic components after getting exp multiplier bonuses from organic components actually decreases or even erases the multiplier. You have to go back and forth to make sure you're back up to 3x (200%) before using a synthetic component each time. Therefore, it seems to be most efficient to get it to 3x (200%), and then use a giant fuckwad of synthetic components at once.
Yea, I'm getting the same feeling and I'm not even all that far into the game. I'm in chapter 5 or 6 now and 15+ hours in and I still feel like I'm playing the beginning. It's like a super long....intro/tutorial thats dragged out for 15 hours. I feel so limited in just about everything I'm doing. It also feels like I'm on full automation mode.

I keep asking myself why am I going back to play this game when I dont even like it all that much...if at all. I think I'm just playing it in hopes of it opening up and finally getting that "depth" that I'm craving right now.

dollartaco said:
I think they kept the scope of your interaction with the environment pretty narrow -- literally -- to convey the sense that, at least for 90% of the first chapters, you're on the run. The one time I remember being able to examine was at Hope's house, which was a brief down time.
I dont agree. I feel that it's the same reason that they didnt give us "HD Towns". I made a joke to my friend about all the cut off paths will be added later as DLC. I wouldnt put it past them at this point.

kagete

dollartaco said:

But thats the ONLY point you can do it until ch. 11! And even then, in that situation, you're supposed to be balls to the walls as far as being on the run. It really looks like they overlooked removing that interactive item when they decided to cut that feature out of the earlier chapters. I dunno this game is giving me mixed feelings

Magnus said:

Unfortunately the last third of Chapter 11 isnt that peachy, lol. The music is perhaps the least specatuclar, the town feels dead, and the enemies start to seem like "attack Sponges". I dont maybe I was feeling story fatigue at that point and just wanted to rush out of there, but I will agree and say that some of the stuff from 11 should have been present in the beginning.

The beginning though I didnt like like 4+ chapters of crystalized areas, the constant blue...

mr_nothin said:
I dont agree. I feel that it's the same reason that they didnt give us "HD Towns".
But there ARE HD towns in the game, and they're really nicely rendered, to boot.

kagete said:
But thats the ONLY point you can do it until ch. 11! And even then, in that situation, you're supposed to be balls to the walls as far as being on the run.
But the point at which you can interact with stuff in chapter 7 is
before the cavalry arrives, not after, isn't it? So that's actually one of the points where the characters do take a breather.

Baha

It took me nearly 30 minutes but I finally survived mission 55 for the growth egg. Now I'm grinding on mission 24 and trying to fill out the rest of the Crystarium and making decent pocket change for my upgrades. Atm, I'm buying ultracompact reactors (50k) and using sturdy bones to star my weapons (24 bones + 1 ultra stars a tier 1 weapon for me, 2 ultras for tier 2 though I am thinking of 36 bones for tier 2).

How hard is chapter 13 if you haven't completed the Crystarium? I want to finish the story off so I can unlock the rest of the Crystarium but I want to breeze through chapter as fast as possible.

Animator

Amir0x said:

What is the star level for helter skelter? Would you say its worth upgrading?

jiggle

Baha said:
It took me nearly 30 minutes but I finally survived mission 55 for the growth egg. Now I'm grinding on mission 24 and trying to fill out the rest of the Crystarium and making decent pocket change for my upgrades. Atm, I'm buying ultracompact reactors (50k) and using sturdy bones to star my weapons (24 bones + 1 ultra stars a tier 1 weapon for me, 2 ultras for tier 2 though I am thinking of 36 bones for tier 2).

How hard is chapter 13 if you haven't completed the Crystarium? I want to finish the story off so I can unlock the rest of the Crystarium but I want to breeze through chapter as fast as possible.

what's good about mission 24 to farm?

ch13 is a breeze
except right before the very end
there are some nasty mob combo

Gattsu25

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
But there ARE HD towns in the game, and they're really nicely rendered, to boot.
I think he's talking about badly designed non-combat hub areas that have a few (unneeded) shops, an (unneeded) inn, and dozens of NPCs that unrealistically spout exposition to you and ask you to chase a kitten down from a tree in exchange for a Hi-Potion.

I don't really miss them.

In fact, just about everything that was 'cut' from the FF mainline games are things that I'm glad to see gone. Sprawling world maps (with 80% locations blocked at most points in the game) that wear off their welcome after minutes, labyrinthine dungeons with random encounters, and shitty mini-games be damned. </hyperbole>

jRPGs were boring the hell out of me and I'm glad FF13 decided to cut (IMO) the flak and concentrate on making a fun battle system with mostly inoffensive trappings (such as the story and characters). It's probably not the game for die-hard FF fans (much in the same way as Mass Effect 2) as it makes some pretty drastic changes to the style of the previous game(s). A lot of people aren't pleased with these changes and I can understand their position. However, (like with Mass Effect 2) I am able to either look past these changes or appreciate them and I have been having a lot of fun.

Mandoric

Banned
Amir0x said:

The real bonus of Dash Shoes is that they give your Enhancer time to waste three battle rounds Veiling up your party, and by the time Haste wears it's actually the AI's top priority. :lol

Baha

jiggle said:
what's good about mission 24 to farm?

ch13 is a breeze
except right before the very end
there are some nasty mob combo

With a COM/COM/COM paradigm you can clean up that mission in 30 seconds or less. You earn 6k (12k with growth egg) and the fight itself is no more than 4 meters away from the mission marker. No cutscenes either so you can easily rack up 700k CP in 1 hour. The reward you earn can also be sold for 6k gil and since you can fight so much and so fast, you can easily sell the item in bulk for a nice return.

Even w/o the growth egg, I'd suggest using this spot to prep for mission 55 since the CP earnings and speed in which you can earn it will still be a lot of CP in the end.

I actually wonder if things like towns and shops were mostly or partly done, and then cut because they wanted to ship the fucking game after 5 years of work? I seem to recall an interview where they said that the equivalent of "an entire game's" content was cut from FFXIII. How about some HD Towns DLC? That would make the diehards happy, right? :lol

Okay, I missed the chat about the quickest and easiest way to get Growth Egg, but I'm already in
Oerba
in Chapter 11 and I'm getting ready to leave soon, how can I grab one before leaving Gran Pulse? I've only done up to Mission 27 so far, that guy at the base of
Taejin's Tower
is a MOTHER FUCKER.

Baha

Unknown Soldier said:
I actually wonder if things like towns and shops were mostly or partly done, and then cut because they wanted to ship the fucking game after 5 years of work? I seem to recall an interview where they said that the equivalent of "an entire game's" content was cut from FFXIII. How about some HD Towns DLC? That would make the diehards happy, right? :lol

Okay, I missed the chat about the quickest and easiest way to get Growth Egg, but I'm already in
Oerba
in Chapter 11 and I'm getting ready to leave soon, how can I grab one before leaving Gran Pulse? I've only done up to Mission 27 so far, that guy at the base of
Taejin's Tower
is a MOTHER FUCKER.

I would wait till chapter 13 when you can take the portal back to gran pulse. Beating mission 55 even at that point is harder than it looks. Besides getting lucky and killing the mark with the Death spell, you still need to kill his minions which hit hard and fast. I had to pull a summon immediately after the death spell succeeded and then into gesalt mode just so that his minions wouldn't kill vanille and end the summon/lose the full party heal. Unless your party is near 10k hp AND you have the death spell + molboro staff (preferably starred), wait till later.

Threi

notag
another random thought about this game: The music has been hit and miss so far, but why are there people who are hating on the boss theme? It's one of the best I've heard in ANY FF.

Man this game shares so many similarities with FF8 its scary :lol

(personally of course, I know people here hate junctioning/drawing)

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
Well, you ARE NOT on the run in Chapter 11
when you visit Oerba because you are specifically there to examine the place for clues on how you can get rid of your L'Cie marks.
The game is surprisingly consistent about things and it lets you take the time to examine things when you are not in a hurry and having your tails being chomped off by the Sanctum.

The towns in the game are there and do their function well. Most jrpg towns run like this: you go to town, event gets triggered, NPC's have one liners, you leave town. In FF13, all the one liners are voiced and the NPC's are all there in front of you so you don't have to deviate from your path to visit a badly architectured single room house to get your one liner. The event that would get triggered by a certain npc is already happening when you enter the town and honestly, how many of you would revisit the towns in rpg's unless you absolutely had to?

FF13 constantly gives you new areas and NO backtracking, and this is considered a bad thing now?

Oh and
Oerba
feels dead because that's what it is... It's supposed to be dead, you can't blame a game for successfully conveying the feeling that it meant to.

Next you'll blame
Eden for feeling like all hell has broken loose.... here's a hint: it has.

Gattsu25

Banned
Threi said:
another random thought about this game: The music has been hit and miss so far, but why are there people who are hating on the boss theme? It's one of the best I've heard in ANY FF.

Man this game shares so many similarities with FF8 its scary :lol

(personally of course, I know people here hate junctioning/drawing)
The boss theme with the electric guitar? Reminds me of Atlus music in a way.
rainer516 said:
The towns in the game are there and do their function well. Most jrpg towns run like this: you go to town, event gets triggered, NPC's have one liners, you leave town. In FF13, all the one liners are voiced and the NPC's are all there in front of you so you don't have to deviate from your path to visit a badly architectured single room house to get your one liner. The event that would get triggered by a certain npc is already happening when you enter the town and honestly, how many of you would revisit the towns in rpg's unless you absolutely had to?
The only thing I guess the FF13 towns are missing are the shops and inns...both would be a waste in this game and I don't see that as a bad thing

Unknown Soldier said:
They have towns in this game; they just don't have any sidequests or minigames in those towns, which means that about the only thing that's left are NPCs and their inane babble, and of course pretty graphics to look at. Though I do really like the way NPCs are presented, the game sorely needs some kind of a diversion from the main storyline even if it doesn't necessarily make a ton of narrative sense. I don't mind cutting crappy minigames and crappy quests, but they didn't add anything back in to fill that void. (And although I generally dislike minigames, it's always possible to do quests well even if Square often doesn't.)

j-wood

How do the rewards work for the missions? Do you get the same item no matter what rating you get, and then depending on your rating, you get a secondary item (like bomb shells?). If so, can the mission be farmed for the secondary item?

Baha

j-wood said:
How do the rewards work for the missions? Do you get the same item no matter what rating you get, and then depending on your rating, you get a secondary item (like bomb shells?). If so, can the mission be farmed for the secondary item?

Mission rewards is always the same, what isn't the same are spoils (item drops) that you can get from the fight. Ranking only affects drops afaik.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
j-wood said:

You always get mission rewards, they are set in stone. Enemies have a certain drop rate for their items and those are the variables that pop up with any number of battle spoils. Star ranking determines those.

edit: beaten!

j-wood

I just did the second missions for the third time. I got the rating, and then on the spoils page, I got a chipped fang, then it said mission complete, then another page came up showing 3 bomb shells for the mission reward. I got the bomb shells with a 3 star rating and a five star rating.

The shells were not listed in the "spoils" page. On that page I got a chipped fang. So will I get bomb shells every time for completing the mission? Seems like an easy way to farm if true.

Animator

wait are you guys saying I can keep doing the missions and keep getting the reward?

I am putting my farmer hat on if thats the case.

jiggle

Unknown Soldier said:
Oerba
Taejin's Tower
is a MOTHER FUCKER.

Mission 55

iirc, my setup was

Van/Snow/Hope (main jobs all capped)
give them physical damage negating and HPplus accesories
vanille should use belladona weapon (or its upgrade)
5tp

SAB/SEN/MED (Default)
MED/COM/RAV
MED/SEN/MED
MED/SEN/SYN
MED/COM/MED
MED/COM/SYN

always have 1 member on cure duty
hard part of the fight is not the boss, but his babies
have Vanille cast DEATH on boss until he dies
switch over to MED/SEN/SYN until everyone has protect and haste (and more)

summon with 3TP
then follow up with 2 QUAkE

use MED/SEN/MED when serious curing is needed
use MED/COM/MED when everyone is healthy
use MED/COM/RAV when eveyrone is MAX HP and fully buffed, but be ready to quickly switch back to double MED again

the babies are quite nasty, need to fight defensively/slowly

Rpgmonkey

Heh, got another Trapezohedron. Wasn't even looking this time.

Got two now, with a third used on Omega Weapon (that I'm going to dismantle and restart with a different weapon).

Dartastic

So, I'm with Sazh and the chick in some forest thing around ten hours in when I first get the ability to change the weather. When does the game start getting good? I was really enjoying it at first, but now all I do is press A and run to the next enemy. This is getting seriously boring.

jiggle

lucky!

i'm 0/3 on it so far
2/3 on platinum ingots though, which pushed me over 2mil, enough to by 1 trap
cept i won't have money left after to upgrade ; ;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom