• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Korey said:
By target times are you referring to how much time before Doom kills you on a boss?

Star-rating on the battle completion screen. The better your star-rating the more likely you'll get a drop (if I understand this correctly). Doom usu. only comes into play if you take an excessively long time to kill a boss (although there might be at least one boss that likes to cast it when you get him under 50-30% health).

orion434

Korey said:
By target times are you referring to how much time before Doom kills you on a boss?

By "Target Time" this means the time the game calculates that it should take you to defeat a battle. If you upgrade your weapons the time will go down ( making it harder to get a 5-Star Rating ) You can test this by upgrading a Tier 1 weapon and buying 1 new... you'll see a few seconds difference in the "Target Time"

Choopy

Neo Member
B-Rad Lascelle said:
Every weapon must be upgraded to Tier 2. Only one of the 8 must be upgraded to Tier 3 - as the Tier 3 weapon is always identified the same way (it just has different attributes dependent on which Tier 2 weapon was levelled up).

This clears things up. Thank you.

Also, are there any missable items obtainable only through chests I should be watching out for? I've been playing under the assumption that if I miss something while playing through I can just purchase it in one of the stores from the save stations.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Every weapon must be upgraded to Tier 2. Only one of the 8 must be upgraded to Tier 3 - as the Tier 3 weapon is always identified the same way (it just has different attributes dependent on which Tier 2 weapon was levelled up).

So I'm wondering, since all Tier 3 weapons are identified as the same thing, can you only have one, or can you upgrade all variants and just have 8 Omega Weapons, for example?

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
The more powerful the characters are, the harder it is to get five stars in battle. Meanwhile, the more powerful the characters are, easier it is to finish the battles quicker, and thus get five stars.

So it is worth to upgrade the weapons it, yes. The battles become easier, only the time requirements for the stats is kept at a similar difficulty.

Although it might also depend on the battle. If to beat an opponent faster you don't need higher damage but something else (stagger, status, etc), powered up weapons will probably not help much. But so far, those kind of battles were quite rare, they were just exceptions.

So I'm wondering, since all Tier 3 weapons are identified as the same thing, can you only have one, or can you upgrade all variants and just have 8 Omega Weapons, for example?
The second.

Amon37

luxarific said:
You can get them once Vanille acquires the Death spell: summon her Eidolon, then have her spam Death). Note: having her and the party equipped with accessories that raise hp/absorb earth will help quite a bit to increase the amount of time can she can survive the turtle stomp attacks (which will increase the number of times she can cast the spell and the chances that it will "hit" the turtle). Also having one of your other party members debuff the turtle also increases the chances of death working.

It's much easier/faster if you just wait until post-game though. It was hard for me to go into the final chapter without an Ultimate weapon (I usually upgrade my characters to insane levels before finishing a Final Fantasy), but I hate non-boss fights where my characters are underleveled.

Is there a new game+ and what does it carry over? I don't think I'm going to waste time post game upgrading weapons if I can't use them in a subsequent playthrough

Korey

rayner said:
By "Target Time" this means the time the game calculates that it should take you to defeat a battle. If you upgrade your weapons the time will go down ( making it harder to get a 5-Star Rating ) You can test this by upgrading a Tier 1 weapon and buying 1 new... you'll see a few seconds difference in the "Target Time"

luxarific said:
Star-rating on the battle completion screen. The better your star-rating the more likely you'll get a drop (if I understand this correctly). Doom usu. only comes into play if you take an excessively long time to kill a boss (although there might be at least one boss that likes to cast it when you get him under 50-30% health).

Sweet, thank you.

However, if I'm only playing through the game once, do I care about star ratings and item drops? Would upgraded weapons make the actual battles easier, or does it only make a marginal difference. Thanks guys, just trying to clear this up for myself. I've heard the difficulty increases dramatically in the last few chapters and am trying to prepare for it so it goes smoother (grinding CP in pulse, etc).

Zen

Banned
hectorse said:
I am in chapter 9.

And there is a section where mobs keep respawning and giving me incentive and credit chips. Plus 500 CP a piece.

I Maxed out 2 of my jobs and almost maxed out the third one. Also I got my weapons up to level 20 something.

Should I keep grinding this part? Or should I move on already?

BTW Great story so far.

REAlly loving this game

Even though this contributes nothing to the thread, I just wanted to say: Agreed on the story, even if the dialogue can be a little vague, the datalog+cutscenes... man. This is a very good story so far.

Korey said:
2) Also, I'm just planning on playing through the story, not the side missions or anything extra like that. Any advice on weapon upgrades for a single playthrough?

I didnt use any upgrades, I really kept their weapons as their second weapons they received in the story and then did HP (or weapons that cast faith or bravery at the start of each fight). I think the crysterium upgrades had more affect on increasing the power of my team. IE their cyrsteriums for the three main roles were maxed at the end game boss

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
celcius said:
I got an email this morning from amazon saying that since I pre-ordered the game, I get a free 4-page strategy guide pdf. It seems to be the first four pages of the full version. :lol :lol
Anyone else get it?

My gamestop pre-order also promised me that, but I got jack.

_Xenon_

Banned
Beat the game finally.

I was totally lost after defeating the
orphan's first form
. I mean:
How did lighting and such come back from the ceth form? Aren't they supposed to be mindless monsters since they failed the mission?
They knew killing the orphan would destory cocoon but why did they still intent to do so? I don't think they had an idea how to save it when fighting the orphan.

Anyway, the art work of this game is definitely unmatchable in this generation but the plot and such was written by a 15 yo emo kid, seriously. I thought the previous games were emo & mind fucking enough but this one managed to make it even more confusing (I read all the datalogs but they didn't help much for the last 2 chapters). Hope they could use the same engine & art work to make FF13V a better game, or possibly FF13-2.

Neil

Does anybody have the link for the guide that tells you the exact amount of components required to level up your weapons?

It was posted here somewhere but the thread moves so quickly I can't find it!

Korey

Zen said:
Even though this contributes nothing to the thread, I just wanted to say: Agreed on the story, even if the dialogue can be a little vague, the datalog+cutscenes... man. This is a very good story so far.
Really? I'm just starting chapter 11 and so far my opinion of the story/dialogue is completely opposite of that

Hit chapter 11 last night. Loving it. I am happy such a big 'reward' came late in the game. Normally things are winding down for me at this point in a game, but now I am more excited than ever. Did a little Mission 7 Bomb Fragment harvesting last night, feels good to get some proper upgrades done. Man, I really enjoyed the progression of this game in terms of settings, story and combat. I admit, it was slow and a little touch and go at times, but overall, I say it was worth playing a 7.5 game that slowly turns into a 9.5 game.

Owzers

Finished the main story. Overall i enjoyed my playthrough, the graphics were phenomenal, the gameplay average. I liked the battle system. The story was okay even though i don't think they did a very good job establishing the world. I liked the characters......somewhat. There were far too many repetitive speeches about hope from Hope, that got on my nerves.

I can't decide if i want to sell the game or keep it and mayyyyyybe do some of the gran pulse monster hunting.

mr_nothin

Banned
....and out of nowhere, I'm starting to enjoy the game a lot more. Just finished chapter 7 and started Chapter 8. Why the heck isnt the rest of the game like this? Story is getting a little more cohesive and the battle system (although I still stand by all my complaints) is starting to be a bit more tolerable. It's probably just the fact that I had 3 members in my party after going HOURS with only having 2 members. It's lame that I'm back down to 2 members again at the start of chapter 8.

No RPG should take this long to START to get interesting.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Whatever happened to
Jihl, Rygdea, and Lightning's Captain? They just... Disappeared

Cynar

_Xenon_ said:
Beat the game finally.

I was totally lost after defeating the
orphan's first form
. I mean:
How did lighting and such come back from the ceth form? Aren't they supposed to be mindless monsters since they failed the mission?
They knew killing the orphan would destory cocoon but why did they still intent to do so? I don't think they had an idea how to save it when fighting the orphan.

Anyway, the art work of this game is definitely unmatchable in this generation but the plot and such was written by a 15 yo emo kid, seriously. I thought the previous games were emo & mind fucking enough but this one managed to make it even more confusing (I read all the datalogs but they didn't help much for the last 2 chapters). Hope they could use the same engine & art work to make FF13V a better game, or possibly FF13-2.

This is what I got from it:
The maker gave them a new focus and that's why their brands looked different. It was to save cocoon and destroy orphan.

Zoe

ULTROS! said:
Whatever happened to
Jihl, Rygdea, and Lightning's Captain? They just... Disappeared

As part of the (low-level) military, Lightning's Captain likely left the city before the Purge.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Zoe said:
As part of the (low-level) military, Lightning's Captain likely left the city before the Purge.

Ah ok...
but what about Jihl and Rygdea? :lol

I dunno but the game feels... very incomplete? :/

And I've been also wondering
Orphan as the villain totally popped out of nowhere, kinda like Necron popping out of nowhere in FFIX

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I just beat
Cid Raines
, somewhere in Ch 10. Looking forward to playing some more this weekend, and finally getting to the wide open area that I've been hearing so much about. Been playing for 27 hours so far. I like the game, even though I feel it's lacking in a lot of important areas, and the overall story isn't terribly compelling. In the grand scheme of things, I'd put it right below 10, and I certainly like it better than 12.

Do a lot of the achievements/trophies require a lot of extraneous grinding? I'm trying to see just overall how much of the game I should complete :p

Zoe

ULTROS! said:
Ah ok...
but what about Jihl and Rygdea? :lol

I dunno but the game feels... very incomplete? :/

And I've been also wondering
Orphan as the villain totally popped out of nowhere, kinda like Necron popping out of nowhere in FFIX

Jihl died when you last saw her. Not sure about Rygdea (probably in the datalog), but I'm guessing he became a Cie'th just like everybody else.

ULTROS!

Zoe said:
Jihl died when you last saw her. Not sure about Rygdea (probably in the datalog), but I'm guessing he became a Cie'th just like everybody else.

Man...
Jihl looked like a tough girl, kinda like Sephirotha but she got killed by a Ruin spell by Bart :/

Amir0x

Banned
well you know despite my misgivings on FFXIII, we should totally pick a few high level hunts and film ourselves beating it. And then the best time gets a prize of some sort.

I don't know maybe I'll flesh out the details when I beat the game but it sounds like a good prize. For PS3 fans, the prize will be Demon's Souls so they can get some badass RPG to fill their cups after this emasculating fluff ;)

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Amon37 said:
Is there a new game+ and what does it carry over? I don't think I'm going to waste time post game upgrading weapons if I can't use them in a subsequent playthrough

No new game+. The only reason to finish up the missions/upgrade to Ultimate after the game is for trophies/achievements, or if you're a FF completionist and want to make the experience last as long as possible, given how long it takes Square to make these games.
Or maybe if you're a fan of the battle system. I'm not really, but I want to stretch out my FFXIII experience. :lol

Also watching turtles fall down and flop around is oddly satisfying/entertaining. :lol

Korey said:
However, if I'm only playing through the game once, do I care about star ratings and item drops? Would upgraded weapons make the actual battles easier, or does it only make a marginal difference. Thanks guys, just trying to clear this up for myself. I've heard the difficulty increases dramatically in the last few chapters and am trying to prepare for it so it goes smoother (grinding CP in pulse, etc).

If you're not planning on maxing everything out for trophies/achievements, I wouldn't worry about it. I only upgraded a few weapons and accessories of my most used team members, and only up to the first star level before going on to the final two chapters. I did max out my Level 4 crysterium for all characters by playing through missions (not concerned with star ranking - I was completing them for CP), and I think that helped with the final two chapters (I completed ~75% of the missions, before heading on to Chapter 12). I did notice a difficulty spike from chapter 10 to chapter 11 (when Pulse opens up to you), but if you complete the first 10-20 missions, you should be leveled up enough to make chapters 12 to 13 easy going.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
mr_nothin said:
....and out of nowhere, I'm starting to enjoy the game a lot more. Just finished chapter 7 and started Chapter 8. Why the heck isnt the rest of the game like this? Story is getting a little more cohesive and the battle system (although I still stand by all my complaints) is starting to be a bit more tolerable. It's probably just the fact that I had 3 members in my party after going HOURS with only having 2 members. It's lame that I'm back down to 2 members again at the start of chapter 8.

No RPG should take this long to START to get interesting.

Pretty much.
Outside the incredibly slow start, I'm beginning to place this game higher up on my favorite FF games.
I definitely think reviewers who gave the game low 8's did not fully invest time in this game, as it gets exponentially better as it goes on.

Amir0x said:
well you know despite my misgivings on FFXIII, we should totally pick a few high level hunts and film ourselves beating it. And then the best time gets a prize of some sort.

I don't know maybe I'll flesh out the details when I beat the game but it sounds like a good prize. For PS3 fans, the prize will be Demon's Souls so they can get some badass RPG to fill their cups after this emasculating fluff ;)

Never tried Demons Souls, but after FFXIII are they comparable? Is story > FFXIII? Just asking?

Amir0x

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
Never tried Demons Souls, but after FFXIII are they comparable? Is story > FFXIII? Just asking?

they are the least comparable games in the entire realm of RPG-dom. I can't think of two less comparable games.

Demon's Souls is the most unforgiving RPG I've played in years, it's all dark and foreboding and has INCREDIBLE atmosphere. And the level design is just fucking brilliant, even when linear it's constantly opening new ways for you to approach scenarios and shortcuts.

The story is really just background noise to be honest - about some ancient demon God or something and a fog killing the land. Something or other. Honestly, the atmosphere takes precedence over the story. The game is OPPRESSIVE.

It's worth playing in any context. It's almost my favorite game of all time!

Giolon

Dedication Through Light said:
Demon's Souls more has story as the backdrop for the game, rather than being a central focus. It's basically just setting up a mythology.

There's almost nothing in common between DS and FFXIII. Demon's Souls wants to crush your very existence and then force you to claw your way up a jagged cliff using nothing but your bare hands and sheer determination. FFXIII for the most part puts you on a rollercoaster, or maybe a downhill slide. I thought both games were great though and had a ton of fun with each for very different reasons.

Skilletor

Amir0x said:
they are the least comparable games in the entire realm of RPG-dom. I can't think of two less comparable games.

Demon's Souls is the most unforgiving RPG I've played in years, it's all dark and foreboding and has INCREDIBLE atmosphere. And the level design is just fucking brilliant, even when linear it's constantly opening new ways for you to approach scenarios and shortcuts.

The story is really just background noise to be honest - about some ancient demon God or something and a fog killing the land. Something or other. Honestly, the atmosphere takes precedence over the story. The game is OPPRESSIVE.

It's worth playing in any context. It's almost my favorite game of all time!

I've almost bought Demon Souls like 6 times. Maybe I will after I finish FF13. Sigh.

I just got the ability to choose my party members. PLEASE tell me that I will never be forced to use only two members ever again. Please. Somebody.

Peff

Skilletor said:
I've almost bought Demon Souls like 6 times. Maybe I will after I finish FF13. Sigh.

I just got the ability to choose my party members. PLEASE tell me that I will never be forced to use only two members ever again. Please. Somebody.

You won't!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Amir0x said:

Suggesting mission 62.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well that's enough farming for today. This is the first game that's been giving me headaches when farming 12+ hours.

Peff

dreamer3kx said:
Just got up to chap 12, how long are the last two chaps?

Depends on how much you fight... if you avoid most of the fights (which considering how long they can be they give VERY little CP) around 3 hours more or less, probably a little longer if you stop to pick up Chapter 13's chests which have some good stuff. And enemies guarding them too.

knitoe

Is it me or mission 63(?) mark turtle, get genji gloves, is much easier than regular Adamantoise. I can beat it without death spell, but regular still stomps me. Does mark also drop ingots and traps? Killed it 4 times, but nothing so far other than genji gloves and gold nuggets from completely the mission. Just don't want to waste time if it doesn't drop regular loot.

Edit: just my luck. It drop a plat ingot right after I posted the question. 5/5 kill with mission turtle, but 0 w/o death for regular.

Magnus

Yoshichan said:
Well that's enough farming for today. This is the first game that's been giving me headaches when farming 12+ hours.
If you're human, farming in a game should give you a headache after just one hour.

Giolon

knitoe said:
Is it me or mission 63(?) mark turtle, get genji gloves, is much easier than regular Adamantoise. I can beat it without death spell, but regular still stomps me. Does mark also drop ingots and traps? Killed it 4 times, but nothing so far other than genji gloves and gold nuggets from completely the mission. Just don't want to waste time if it doesn't drop regular loot.

Edit: just my luck. It drop a plat ingot right after I posted the question. 5/5 kill with mission turtle, but 0 w/o death for regular.

That's because it's an Adamantortoise. There's only two of them that hang out naturally in the Archylte Steppes. It's got something like 1.5million fewer HP than the Adamantoises and does slightly less damage in my experience. It's loot table is the same as the Adamantoises according to the guide.

Vanille

knitoe said:

In the Japanese version, 63 actually had an increased drop rate. At least that was the consensus, there was a massive 2ch thread about it.

But I think its been fixed.

JohngPR

One thing I thought that's been poorly shown in the story so far for me (I'm on Chapter 8) is
Cid and the Cavalry's stake in all this. When they captured Snow, they made it seem like they were hunting down l'Cie's when they are actually enlisting them to help. WTF? Then why shackle Snow? Also why the fuck did Fang keep punching Snow in the face and why was he ok with helping him after all that?
That part made no sense.

Thank god for the Datalogs. LOL

burgerdog

:lol :lol I am running around getting 5 stars on marks and I run into a turtle for shits and giggles and another useless trapezohedron drops.

jersoc

hey guys, is grinding to get those ignots the easiest way to make gil? trying to get some gil to upgrade stuff, but i've gotten no ignots so far. been lucky with the traps I guess. but those are useless w/o the gil to buy components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom