• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
AgentOtaku said:
Really? Not needed huh?
hmm
Well the game is pretty easy, and if you need any help you can always just use gamefaqs or ask here :lol you'll probably only want help w/missions anyways, which I didn't bother to do.

Kagari said:
It has jaggies, so maybe.
Firestorm said:
Look at the hair. It's not real-time.
That's how they look in XIII though, in the fake-time videos. They didn't add that much post processing though, so I'm not sure.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
hateradio said:
That's how they look in XIII though, in the fake-time videos. They didn't add that much post processing though, so I'm not sure.

Uhh, there's dithering on the chick's hair, but you never know what crazy fruit roll ups they'll roll out with next so I'll reserve my judgment til the game comes out.

Magnus said:
If you're human, farming in a game should give you a headache after just one hour.

Woah woah careful there. Are you implying brainless farming and grinding for hours without headaches makes someone subhuman? Those are some fightin words. I hate grinding/tedium but I'd never go that far.

WTF game. In the last 6 giant turtles that i had to painfully and patiently death spam, i have gotten 1 trap and 0 fucking platinum ingots, the latter of which i actually wanted. DAM YOU.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mornin' all! Time to continue farming :) Managed to get 4 dark matters yesterday so only platinum ingots left for me to farm now...

Edit - also managed to max out everyone's crystarium :D Yay!

leng jai

BocoDragon said:
We'll see how the price actually holds over time though... You might think the price would only go up, but it might have been a phenomenon in that XIII is still a new game, but the LE was (last I checked) out of stock everywhere... everyone still wants it, but in the future, demand might actually go down.

Maybe I'm just trying to diminish the number of sealed copies in the world so that I can profit more off my secret stash of CEs? :D

In Australia there are like a tons of CEs in pretty much every place that originally sold them. Its a crummy CE anyway, I returned it for a stock copy which I've never done before.

Is it just me or does Fang not use Launch half the time when shes a commando and your opponent is staggered?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Gamer @ Heart said:
WTF game. In the last 6 giant turtles that i had to painfully and patiently death spam, i have gotten 1 trap and 0 fucking platinum ingots, the latter of which i actually wanted. DAM YOU.

I'm at the point where I'm beginning to start grinding & the turtle grinds sound like hell.

Coxswain

mjemirzian said:
Woah woah careful there. Are you implying brainless farming and grinding for hours without headaches makes someone subhuman? Those are some fightin words. I hate grinding/tedium but I'd never go that far.
Well "subhuman" implies that they're close enough that somebody would make the comparison, so I'd say that's more than generous. I'd go "soulless automaton" myself.

leng jai said:
Is it just me or does Fang not use Launch half the time when shes a commando and your opponent is staggered?

Launch has pretty short range so if the opponent moves at all it'll miss. Best to wait until they're being barraged by your party before you go in.

The CE does suck ass.They could have at least used the traditional logo cover (this cover feels wrong somehow).

Standard edition + CE guide is the way to go.

Firestorm

This is what I posted as a reply to some people complaining and justifying the linearity in the game. I figured it felt like a good mini-review/compilation of my thoughts on the game so here we go:
Illusion is essential to video games. The problem with Final Fantasy XIII, as noted, is that it doesn't hide that it's one long corridor. I understand the frustrations of people who know that all jRPGs are a linear experience, but I also understand people who are less analytical and want to be tricked.

The first thing I'd recommend to those who want to stay under the illusion is to turn off the mini-map. It is something that serves to continuously remind you that you're on a straight path. You really do have a few spots you can choose between left and right, but the wrong choice is just so short that the mini-map gives it away. Unfortunately, Square Enix also didn't think to put any treasure chests as incentives on the wrong paths. They had a lot of opportunity for branching and intertwining paths but for the most part did not take it.

Another thing that the "linearity" refers to, which isn't really about linearity, is the ability of the player to control the pacing. Something jRPGs traditionally have are towns which the player can either relax and do meaningless sidequests in to take a break from the main story. Unfortunately, Final Fantasy XIII does not have that and forces you to play the game at the pace of the creators instead. I'd personally not have a problem with that if the pacing weren't so terrible. I've played for 17.5 hours and don't feel like I've had the most varied experience in that 17.5 hours nor do I feel the story has advanced 17.5 hours worth (I'm starting Chapter 10 now). Uncharted 2 is a game which was very linear, very controlled with its pacing, but exceptionally well paced with varied game situations. I think this was what Square Enix wanted to achieve, but ultimately failed to do.

That said, I'm still enjoying my time with the game and I feel it's perfect to relax with for an hour or so at night after a hard day at school or work.

Styles

Just got the cie'th paragon trophy. :D Last mission was a bitch to deal with though at first, once I figured out my paradigms, it was a breeze. Took me 9 minutes.

leng jai

toasty_T said:
Launch has pretty short range so if the opponent moves at all it'll miss. Best to wait until they're being barraged by your party before you go in.

The CE does suck ass.They could have at least used the traditional logo cover (this cover feels wrong somehow).

Standard edition + CE guide is the way to go.

She doesn't even do it half the time when the thing is just standing still.

I made my own CE, Standard edition + CE guide + CE Soundtrack + Lightning Play Arts Figurine + Poster set + pre-order bonus calendar. Sexy.

Wow can't believe I just beat my first FF game and just my second RPG after Dragon Age. Awesome game. The 60 hours of heartbreak, ownage, and ultimately victory in the end was worth it. :D

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I was enjoying a lot the plot til chapter 8/ 9. I really was. But I'm at the end of chapter 11, and I'm finding it to be pretty poor now.

It reminds me of the dry parts of FFXII's plot. Several important plot details are revealed in a boring and unshocking way. Most party characters react... well, because they need to react, it's some twists that are being revealed, so they, hmm, react in a fairly generic way... Out of those characters, one or two stand out more, commenting the stuff according to their own personality (but not/ hardly advancing their personality any further), etc...

But in FFXIII is even worse because the story became so ridiculous so fast.

It was all so interesting with the characters' interaction, conflicts, etc, and I feel the peak of the story was really at chapter 7/ 8 for that. And it knew how to slowly reveal new stuff while having the characters conflicts and development getting more and more climatic, and thus more and more interesting. The most climatic scenes of those chapters were awesome, imo.

Now it's basically Ashe & the rest of the group - ups, Lightning and the group,
going to meet old guy, old guy reveals lot of stuff and says group must go to X location, group goes to find new information there, old guy tells more twists, and now says for group to go to another location, etc.
, all ni the most dry and boring way possible. Watanabe is such a genious of a storyteller :lol

Does it gets better again? :( (At chapter 12, maybe?...)

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Firestorm said:
This is what I posted as a reply to some people complaining and justifying the linearity in the game. I figured it felt like a good mini-review/compilation of my thoughts on the game so here we go:

Illusion is essential to video games. The problem with Final Fantasy XIII, as noted, is that it doesn't hide that it's one long corridor. I understand the frustrations of people who know that all jRPGs are a linear experience, but I also understand people who are less analytical and want to be tricked.

The first thing I'd recommend to those who want to stay under the illusion is to turn off the mini-map. It is something that serves to continuously remind you that you're on a straight path. You really do have a few spots you can choose between left and right, but the wrong choice is just so short that the mini-map gives it away. Unfortunately, Square Enix also didn't think to put any treasure chests as incentives on the wrong paths.

If FF7-10 (even 4-6) had the same map system on screen, that took a portion of the upper right screen, they would feel the exact same as this game. They were as linear as this game to a T in the dungeons & non-world map/town exploratory design.
They're also chests in the branching dead ends paths, I don't know what you're playing to miss them.

I do agree with the pacing being bad. I don't mind following the pace of the creators intend, especially since the game gave so much emphasis on each individual character. BUT 20 hours & only being able to control 2 people & you can't even switch who to control between the two.
3-5 hours it would o.k. Maybe even 10 hours, though that would be stretching it, but not nearly half of the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Woo! All accessories in the game... now to do the weapons :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
eek, I haven't played this is a few days.

I was loving the game up until Chapter 11, but I feel like its lost all the momentum it had. Suddenly enemies have become too much of a chore to take down relative to the amount of CP I receive in return, and it's kind of killing my buzz.

I want to keep playing, but I need to get over this hump. I'm at a cross-road -- I either play the game again and get over it soon or shelve if for a long, long, long while. Hmm.

mr_nothin

Banned
:D
Firestorm said:
Dooood
I agree with alot of what you're saying. Especially about the "controlling the pacing". I dont feel like I've progressed 28 hours into the game. The 1st 20 hours felt like a looooong and drawn out intro. I just finished chapter 9 and chapters 7-9 should have been how the game started off. At least in terms of atmosphere and the story telling and conveying a sense of danger and dread. The end of chapter 9 scared the shit out of me. Even after fighting that big "thing" (dont want to spoil) that was at the end of chapter 9....seeing it in the cutscene after and seeing it in it's "other form" just struck a little fear into me. Like "i'm going to have to fight this thing at the end...i know it!" type of fear.

I'm liking these chapters so far! Story is picking up and it's becoming tolerable.

Grivenger said:
I was enjoying a lot the plot til chapter 8/ 9. I really was. But I'm at the end of chapter 11, and I'm finding it to be pretty poor now.

It reminds me of the dry parts of FFXII's plot. Several important plot details are revealed in a boring and unshocking way. Most party characters react... well, because they need to react, it's some twists that are being revealed, so they, hmm, react in a fairly generic way... Out of those characters, one or two stand out more, commenting the stuff according to their own personality (but not/ hardly advancing their personality any further), etc...

It was all so interesting with the characters' interaction, conflicts, etc, and I feel the peak of the story was really at chapter 7/ 8 for that. And it knew how to slowly reveal new stuff while having the characters conflicts and development getting more and more climatic, and thus more and more interesting. The most climatic scenes of those chapters were awesome, imo.

Now it's basically Ashe & the rest of the group - ups, Lightning and the group,
going to meet old guy, old guy reveals lot of stuff and says group must go to X location, group goes to find new information there, old guy tells more twists, and now says for group to go to another location, etc.
, all ni the most dry and boring way possible. Watanabe is such a genious of a storyteller :lol

:(
It really sucks to hear that.
I've mentioned this before but I think Square did the story backwards. They should have LITERALLY done it backwards (or in reverse). They should have started you out at chapters 8 and 9 and then GO BACK and have you learn about the characters and get into the nooks n crannies of l'cie and fal'cie and all that bs.

They tried to do that hollywood switcheroo where they show you the ending (or at least the middle point) of the story and then start you off a few days or a few weeks before that and then you play catch up. What they failed to do was.....TO SHOW THE ENDING or the "present time" in which they are catching you up to. They didnt give you any reference point to connect, everything that was going on, to. They also had the past and the present running in parallel. Those 2 things made it really hard to attach much of the story to anything and it made it not have any sort of weight because you didnt know wtf was going on and what the underlying point of all of this was. You didnt really know the cast's motivation.

They tried to go the Uncharted 2 route in terms of story telling but they messed it up. Imagine Uncharted 2's story w/o doing that whole train section 1st.

EDIT:
OMG, I didnt know select turned off the mini-map. I wish I did that ages ago.
D:
It's sooo much better

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
got2bekidding said:
So after you beat the game, is there a way to just run around in turtle land?

Turteland? After you beat your game, you will be prompt the option to save, save, reload and you will can port to base camp.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
got2bekidding said:
With the new level of crystalarinonomnomism open?

Ooo sure enough..

Yes, you unlock crystal level 10 after beatting last boss.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
It has jaggies, so maybe.

At one point, it "almost" looked like the CG graphics. :lol

Pooya

Magnus said:
God, the dialogue and plot take such catastrophic nosedives in Chapter 11.
I believe you! congrats!

Grivenger said:

Now it's basically Ashe & the rest of the group - ups, Lightning and the group, going to meet old guy, old guy reveals lot of stuff and says group must go to X location, group goes to find new information there, old guy tells more twists, and now says for group to go to another location, etc., all ni the most dry and boring way possible. Watanabe is such a genious of a storyteller

I'm just like that, really liked the story up to chapter 7/8 specially Hope/Light parts were great, but after that suddenly it went downhill, and
no it doesn't get better in ch12 and 13 if not worse.

I don't think I am even going to try to platinum this game. Too much time taken away from other games if I do. I would leisurely complete some goals but I'll start playing this game casually.

desverger

Rez said:

I was loving the game up until Chapter 11, but I feel like its lost all the momentum it had. Suddenly enemies have become too much of a chore to take down relative to the amount of CP I receive in return, and it's kind of killing my buzz.

I want to keep playing, but I need to get over this hump. I'm at a cross-road -- I either play the game again and get over it soon or shelve if for a long, long, long while. Hmm.

I'm definitely feeling it too. I'd like to start upgrading my weapons so I can at least travel around with ease, but I haven't got the slightest idea where to start with that. I have looked at some weapon stats and the weapons I want to upgrade for Fang/Light/Vanille aren't available yet. Farming for CP seems pointless currently, I'd like some upgraded weapons to make it faster too.

Yoshichan

Just calculated what I need to buy to get all the weapons.

- 12x Perovskite (har 6 - 180k)
- 9x Uraninite (har 0 - 405k)
- 8x Scarletite (har 3 - 500k)
- 2x Adamantite (har 0 - 440k)
- 1x Dark Matter (har 0 - farma)
- Organyx (Light - 280k)
- Aldebarans (Sazh - 263k)
- Sacrificial Circle (Snow - 210k)
- Malphas (Hope - 198k)
- Tigerclaw (Vanille - 300k)

2776000 gil and that's without actual ingredients (Ultra Compound 50k each...)

Yes... I love it. I love it.

SpokkX

Man the last boss on chapter 11 is really kicking my ass..

his constant firing of lasers forces me to heal all the time and thus not really hurting him

any good strategies? All i can find is that it is supposed to be an easy boss?!

Pooya

SpokkX said:

his constant firing of lasers forces me to heal all the time and thus not really hurting him

you need to have a Med/Med/Med paradigm for fast recovery, and
poison him with Vanille
, it goes down fast if you do it.
this was my set: Light/Vanille/Hope
Rav/sab/syn
med/sab/syn
rav/rav/rav
com/rav/rav
med/med/med
med/med/syn
you can use summon when he shows his face and start attacking left and right.

SpokkX said:

Combat Clinic, only heal when it is about to use that attack, Relentless assault the rest of the time, utilize Renew as well. Should fall in about 8-11 minutes.

lljride

Yoshichan said:

- Organyx (Light - 280k)
- Malphas (Hope - 198k)

:lol Same here man. I have no idea why but I'm totally addicted to farming platinum ingots right now. I've been doing it a few hours a night for the past 3 or 4 days now, I keep finding one more accessory that I need or one more acc that I think would be useful that I max out. Knowing the adamantoises
go away
at some point is making it harder to stop, but I'm loving it too. Haven't even started farming dark matters yet...I'm never going to finish this game am I?

Choopy

Neo Member
lljride said:
:lol Same here man. I have no idea why but I'm totally addicted to farming platinum ingots right now. I've been doing it a few hours a night for the past 3 or 4 days now, I keep finding one more accessory that I need or one more acc that I think would be useful that I max out. Knowing the adamantoises
go away
at some point is making it harder to stop, but I'm loving it too. Haven't even started farming dark matters yet...I'm never going to finish this game am I?

What?? They
go away
?? At what point does that happen?
Will I still be able to
farm them after I beat the game
?

lljride

Choopy said:
What?? They
go away
?? At what point does that happen?
Will I still be able to
farm them after I beat the game
?

I think mission 63 is the trigger, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. There might be one still hanging around somewhere even after that point, but I'm not trying to take that chance yet.

Edit: To clarify, feel free to beat the game, that has no effect on them. It's just related to one of the later missions.

Vanille

lljride said:
I think mission 63 is the trigger, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. There might be one still hanging around somewhere even after that point, but I'm not trying to take that chance yet.

The circle (56-62) is the trigger. And yep, there's still a lone Adamantoise hanging around after the Long Gui crash the party.

Choopy

Neo Member
lljride said:

Edit: To clarify, feel free to beat the game, that has no effect on them. It's just related to one of the later missions.

Ah, ok. Good to know. Thanks.
Can't wait to farm those things. I loves me a challenge :p

onken

Yoshichan said:

- Organyx (Light - 280k)
- Malphas (Hope - 198k)

Get all the accessories then make a separate save and sell them all. Should net you most of the cash you need. Make the weapons, get the trophy and then reload.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Yoshichan said:

- Organyx (Light - 280k)
- Malphas (Hope - 198k)

Yeah, there's no grinding in this game :lol

Haven't been keeping up with this thread.

All I have to say is;

"My Hands"?!? What the fuck is this shit?!?

Why didn't they just throw English lyrics at the original like Eyes On Me and Melodies of Life?

entremet

Rez said:

Yeah, there a spike in enemy difficulty in Chapter 11. I'd recommended doing some missions.

j-wood

When I got to chapter 11, I did two mark missions and then thought I needed to move on with the story, so I went ahead to the caves. I'm currently at the spot where
I ride the fal'Cie
. Will I get the chance to go back to the starting area of the chapter and do more missions or will I have to beat the game in order to go back there?

Choopy

Neo Member
j-wood said:
When I got to chapter 11, I did two mark missions and then thought I needed to move on with the story, so I went ahead to the caves. I'm currently at the spot where
I ride the fal'Cie
. Will I get the chance to go back to the starting area of the chapter and do more missions or will I have to beat the game in order to go back there?

You didn't go too far ahead. You can run back if you'd like.
Otherwise push through until Chapter 12 I think for the portal back to Pulse.

j-wood

Choopy said:
You didn't go too far ahead. You can run back if you'd like.
Otherwise push through until Chapter 12 I think for the portal back to Pulse.

Running back would take forever, especially with all the monsters in the way. So in chapter 12 I'll get that portal and it will take me back to the beginning? I won't have to beat the game?

Zoe

j-wood said:
Running back would take forever, especially with all the monsters in the way. So in chapter 12 I'll get that portal and it will take me back to the beginning? I won't have to beat the game?

You get the portal in chapter 13.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
luxarific said:
Yeah, there's no grinding in this game :lol
Most people who say that are talking about what you need to finish the game normally though, getting all the weapons is a different matter.

Choopy

Neo Member
j-wood said:

I'm not entirely sure when, but according to the chatter in this thread it's at the end of Chapter 12/Beginning of 13. You don't have to beat the game to port back. That's what I've come to gather, at least.

EDIT: Well there you go. Thanks Zoe.

Baha

Finally beat mission 51 after a couple of tries. My question atm is, do I need maxed out weapons for farming adamantoises w/o using summons? I've been successful in using summons to stagger them (usually twice in a fight) or a summon so I could cast death but refilling the TP after the fight feels like it takes too much time.

lljride

I screwed up and didn't open the portals on the way to the end of Ch 11, but honestly the trip back isn't that bad. The Tower is a straight shot down the elevator, and you can skip most of the enemies in the mines and in that little lake area. Took about 20 mins or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom