• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpgmonkey

Nose Master said:
Wouldn't traps sell for like 1m?

More like 10,000. :lol

Mission 51 was so invigorating! This was a good fight. No bullcrap, just dishing out blows to each other, mixing up my attacks, and healing on occasion, with no "OMG heal every ten seconds" crap. Best fight I've had in the whole game.

Gotta go back later to five star it, wasn't exactly sure what I was doing and took a minute longer than my time limit.

Rpgmonkey said:
More like 10,000. :lol

Mission 51 was so invigorating! This was a good fight. No bullcrap, just dishing out blows to each other, mixing up my attacks, and healing on occasion, with no "OMG heal every ten seconds" crap. Best fight I've had in the whole game.

Gotta go back later to five star it, wasn't exactly sure what I was doing and took a minute longer than my time limit.

Whats was your target time, do you remember?

I wasted so much tim on that mission only to get doomed. : (

Rpgmonkey

Gamer @ Heart said:
Whats was your target time, do you remember?

I wasted so much tim on that mission only to get doomed. : (

Like 14 minutes. Had Lightning, Fang, and Hope, Crystarium mastered for every role and each with their ultimate weapon.

Took 15 minutes though. Didn't realize his chain resistance was so high, I was already several minutes in before I realized I'd need to use my RAV/RAV/RAV paradigm to build up the gauge to something useful.

burgerdog

Rpgmonkey said:
Like 14 minutes. Had Lightning, Fang, and Hope, Crystarium mastered for every role and each with their ultimate weapon.

Took 15 minutes though. Didn't realize his chain resistance was so high, I was already several minutes in before I realized I'd need to use my RAV/RAV/RAV paradigm to build up the gauge to something useful.

Remove Hope from your party and put Snow in there to tank, I didn't even equip a single item on snow and he kept himself up insanely well. With mediguard it's as if he has regen or some shit, ridiculous.

Fang/Light/Snow
Com/Rav/Sen You will use this most of the time.
Com/Med/Sen Switch to this if snow needs a quick heal.
Syn/Sab/Sen To recast Haste/Bravery on yourself while Light Debuffs.

Win.

edit

Don't worry about a rav/rav/rav set up to build up the bar. With the aforementioned paradigms his bar will never drop back down to 0, it'll just rise.

CruxisMana said:
Chapter 11:
I hate this stupid tower already.

I found the tower ridiculously easy. When I set foot in it though, I was praying it didn't have as many floors as the tower in 12. I probably would have thrown myself off of a cliff if it did.

After spending so much time in the endgame and running around gran pulse, i really miss those gorgeous areas in earlier chapters. I wish missions sent you to different areas or something.

careful

What are some good spots to grind for gil in Ch. 11?
Mission 7 is nice for upgrades, the northwestern Behemot vs Giant Wolf circuit is good for CP, but I haven't found any good spots for gil yet.

Magnus

JohngPR said:
Thank god for the Datalogs. LOL

Yeah, it's great that there's an in-game text manifest to actually tell the story instead of the cutscenes and dialogue doing it for you.

(he says, as he goes back to playing and figuring out where the fuck to go next in Chapter 11 :lol )

Magnus said:
Yeah, it's great that there's an in-game text manifest to actually tell the story instead of the cutscenes and dialogue doing it for you.

(he says, as he goes back to playing and figuring out where the fuck to go next in Chapter 11 :lol )

Sadly, yeah. It is desperately needed early on because the game throws right into when the shit hits the fan without letting you learn about the world first.

careful

Gamer @ Heart said:
Sadly, yeah. It is desperately needed early on because the game throws right into when the shit hits the fan without letting you learn about the world first.
They should've picked more meaningful and distinctive names than fal'cie, l'cie, cieth, etc..
I was confused as fuck at the beginning. Actually even half-way through I wasn't really sure what was happening until I started to read the codex a bit.

Owzers

careful said:
They should've picked more meaningful and distinctive names than fal'cie, l'cie, cieth, etc..
I was confused as fuck at the beginning. Actually even half-way through I wasn't really sure what was happening until I started to read the codex a bit.

I wasn't sure what Cocoon was and where it was in relation to Pulse for a long time, let alone what exactly a fal'cie was or the motivations that differentiated a pulse fal'cie vs. a sanctum fal'cie. This game, imo, told a story at you instead of to you.

burgerdog

careful said:
What are some good spots to grind for gil in Ch. 11?
Mission 7 is nice for upgrades, the northwestern Behemot vs Giant Wolf circuit is good for CP, but I haven't found any good spots for gil yet.
Don't bother farming for Gil until you have genji gloves; which are easy to get post game in the faultwarrens. You need to be able to kill adamantoise/adamantortoise in 2 mins or less for it to be worth your time. Until don't even bother.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Magnus said:

*shrugs*
I thought they pretty much hit you over the head with the story through the cutscenes. Pretty hard to miss what they are talking about, but maybe that's just me.

j-wood

Can someone explain something to me story wise? I'm in chapter 11.

I just got Vanhilles Eidolan. In that cutscene, fang starts talking about how she became ragnarok and how vanhille lied about becoming it herself. Fang also said this all made sense after talking to Cid. I do not remember that happening at all. Vanhille never came out and said I became ragnorok did she? If so when? What did Cid's conversation before you fought him have to do with that?

The main thing I don't understand is during that cutscene Fang says "ha! I knew I was right! then vanhille says "so you were lying!"

What was fang lying about?

j-wood said:
What was fang lying about?
Fang told Vanille that she got her memories back, but in fact she didn't. She just had a hunch that she was Ragnarok, so she lied to Vanille to confirm whether or not that she was Ragnarok...I think...

j-wood

facepalm007 said:
Fang told Vanille that she got her memories back, but in fact she didn't. She just had a hunch that she was Ragnarok, so she lied to Vanille to confirm whether or not that she was Ragnarok...I think...

yeah I just picked up on that. When did vanille ever tell anyone though that she was the one that turned into ragnorok?

j-wood

Man, that really makes me wish I would have explored more :(

I did 2 mark missions before heading to that marker...did I really miss that much? And now I can't go back there till after I beat the game?

Vanille

JohngPR said:
One thing I thought that's been poorly shown in the story so far for me (I'm on Chapter 8) is
Cid and the Cavalry's stake in all this. When they captured Snow, they made it seem like they were hunting down l'Cie's when they are actually enlisting them to help. WTF? Then why shackle Snow? Also why the fuck did Fang keep punching Snow in the face and why was he ok with helping him after all that?
That part made no sense.

Thank god for the Datalogs. LOL

Snow wasn't really in the mood to stand there and listen. They shackled him so that they could calmly explain the situation without him going crazy and chasing after Serah's body. And... wha? Fang never punches Snow. o.o

Lince

Banned
Don't bother farming for Gil until you have genji gloves; which are easy to get post game in the faultwarrens. You need to be able to kill adamantoise/adamantortoise in 2 mins or less for it to be worth your time. Until don't even bother.

so basically after beating the game you're sent back to chapter 11 ?

sonitii

j-wood said:
Man, that really makes me wish I would have explored more :(

I did 2 mark missions before heading to that marker...did I really miss that much? And now I can't go back there till after I beat the game?

Well, aside from that cutscene where
Vanille says that she was Ragnarok, I remember two other cutscenes while exploring and doing the early missions. There was a cutscene with Sazh by himself with the chocobo, and then Fang shows up and talks to him about being a parent. The other one was a cutscene between Hope and Vanille admiring the beautiful horizon and pondering the their predicament and the hardship that still lay ahead of them. They both encourage each other and Hope says to her, "Promise me you'll keep smiling. It makes me happy when you smile." This is actually a reference to one of Vanille's early narration bits in Chapter 1. I didn't remember it at the time but I started a second playthrough and recognized that this is what she was referring to early in the game when she said, "You said it made you happy when I smiled, but I was really really scared." Knowing the context of the plot and the plight of the characters that I didn't know before, it now makes much more sense!

Those are the ones I can remember from doing first 16 or so missions before proceeding with the story. Those scenes do add to some character development between the characters I guess.

Not sure if there were any others. Haven't done all the missions yet since beating the game. I've only done the first 26 I think.

Firestorm

burgerdog said:
Remove Hope from your party and put Snow in there to tank, I didn't even equip a single item on snow and he kept himself up insanely well. With mediguard it's as if he has regen or some shit, ridiculous.

Fang/Light/Snow
Com/Rav/Sen You will use this most of the time.
Com/Med/Sen Switch to this if snow needs a quick heal.
Syn/Sab/Sen To recast Haste/Bravery on yourself while Light Debuffs.

Win.

edit

Don't worry about a rav/rav/rav set up to build up the bar. With the aforementioned paradigms his bar will never drop back down to 0, it'll just rise.
Lightnign Fang Hope is the best combo I'm pretty sure. Fang can be a Sentinel.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
2real4tv said:
So whats the verdict did they meet their target:

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/8268...sy-xiii-20061007021934284.html?page=mediaFull

Trying to embed but having problems(at work). I did they did better.
Embed? Just copy image location and put it in the img tag.

final-fantasy-xiii-20061007021934284.jpg

Personally I think that hair looks alright, since it's not dithered, but aside from it, the camera doesn't even approach that angle; I think the actual is not bad.

Wish that the battles didn't have to go into a transition either, but w/e. Anyways, what was that circle thing on the top right supposed to be?

knitoe

OMG. I can final beat Adamantoise without death spell in about 2 min while only upto chapter 13.

Fang(main)/Light/Vanille Char max lvl.

Paridigm:
sab/sab/sab
com/rev/rev
com/com/rev

equip:
Fang: Taming Pole tier 3 max, aurora scarf, sprint shoes, genji gloves
Light: Lionhart tier 3 max, aurora scarf, sprint shoes, Collector Catalog
Vanille: Bell Wand tier 3 lvl 26, aurora scarf, sprint shoes, Con Catalog.

Note: you can probably use any accessory for Light and Vanille. For me, when they can finally do something, buffs from the accessories have already worn off.

Strategy:
1) summon Bahomut as as fight begins
2) use auto for debuffs. Key is to when you see a buff land, cancel out current action (O button on PS3) and auto to put next debuff. Once you have 5 debuffs, curse, slow, deshell, deprotect and imperil, switch to com/com/rev and auto attack.

3) At some point turtle will staggered and rest of the party will come back, keep on auto attacking. Once staggered meter is almost gone, use Fang's whirlwind abilty. Afterward, switch to com/rev/rev.

4) Auto attack until turtle staggered. Switch to com/com/rev and finish him off. The last few hits will be a nail bitter before turtle gets up and can stomp you to death, but you should kill him before than.

burgerdog

Firestorm said:
Lightnign Fang Hope is the best combo I'm pretty sure. Fang can be a Sentinel.
That set up worked for me and I wasn't trying to 5 star the mission, just wanted the gloves. However, I'm sure it works with Hope as well.

hateradio

firehawk12 said:
Except her fingers actually look like fingers in the target render. :lol
Indeed they do.

I'm starting to wonder if the Versus XIII video they showed in the XIII Demo (w/ ACC) is even in real time, or if it's a pre-recorded cut-scene like FFXIII.

I'm talking about this one w/Noctis and Stella: http://gamersyde.com/stream_final_fantasy_versus_xiii_ffxiii_demo_trailer-10542_en.html

AgentOtaku said:
Ready to jump in
Question though:
Should I bother with the Hardback LE Book? It's currently going for $40 on Amazon
It's really up to you, I haven't even opened mine.

burgerdog

knitoe said:
OMG. I can final beat Adamantoise without death spell in about 2 min while only upto chapter 13.

Fang(main)/Light/Vanille Char max lvl.

Paridigm:
sab/sab/sab
com/rev/rev
com/com/rev

equip:
Fang: Taming Pole tier 3 max, aurora scarf, sprint shoes, genji gloves
Light: Lionhart tier 3 max, aurora scarf, sprint shoes, Collector Catalog
Vanille: Bell Wand tier 3 lvl 26, aurora scarf, sprint shoes, Con Catalog.

Note: you can probably use any accessory for Light and Vanille. For me, when they can finally do something, buffs from the accessories have already worn off.

Strategy:
1) summon Bahomut as as fight begins
2) use auto for debuffs. Key is to when you see a buff land, cancel out current action (O button on PS3) and auto to put next debuff. Once you have 5 debuffs, curse, slow, deshell, deprotect and imperil, switch to com/com/rev and auto attack.

3) At some point turtle will staggered and rest of the party will come back, keep on auto attacking. Once staggered meter is almost gone, use Fang's whirlwind abilty. Afterward, switch to com/rev/rev.

4) Auto attack until turtle staggered. Switch to com/com/rev and finish him off. The last few hits will be a nail bitter before turtle gets up and can stomp you to death, but you should kill him before than.
Why are you still relying on the summon method if you have 3 lv3 weapons and a genji glove? I can kill them in 2 mins without a summon and have fangs and lightnings lv3 wep maxed with vanille at lv63. I'll post my method tomorrow when I'm not posting from my iPhone.

knitoe

burgerdog said:
Why are you still relying on the summon method if you have 3 lv3 weapons and a genji glove? I can kill them in 2 mins without a summon and have fangs and lightnings lv3 wep maxed with vanille at lv63. I'll post my method tomorrow when I'm not posting from my iPhone.
Because, if he stomps me, game over. Summon is to get him down and build stagger meter/dam. Are your chars pre or post game?

I am on iPhone too.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
knitoe said:
Because, if he stomps me, game over. Summon is to get him down and build stagger meter/dam. Are your chars pre or post game?

I am on iPhone too.

Switch to a paradigm with a sentinel when he does the stomp for fringeward. Reduces the damage to manageable levels.

Magnus

God, the dialogue and plot take such catastrophic nosedives in Chapter 11. "Tough" battles are all boiling down to exactly the same paradigm shift patterns now too.

Hecatoncheir
didn't turn out anywhere near as awful as I expected from all the "omg help" posts in the thread so far. You're telling me the SAB/SEN combo didn't occur to anyone? It's like, one of the only things you can do with those two characters. :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
AgentOtaku said:
Why not?

collector's reasons or just waiting till you beat it first?
I hella berated someone for not opening their guide a few weeks ago.... But then I came into possession of a second copy by accident, and I sold it for 100 bucks on eBay!

Let the man not open it, I see the error of my ways now!!

hateradio

AgentOtaku said:
Why not?
collector's reasons or just waiting till you beat it first?
I already beat the game.

It's a collector's item in a way, if you want a guide just get the normal one, though it's not needed.

BocoDragon said:
I hella berated someone for not opening their guide a few weeks ago.... But then I came into possession of a second copy by accident, and I sold it for 100 bucks on eBay!
I knew I should have ordered two...

grumble

Magnus said:
God, the dialogue and plot take such catastrophic nosedives in Chapter 11. "Tough" battles are all boiling down to exactly the same paradigm shift patterns now too.

Hecatoncheir
didn't turn out anywhere near as awful as I expected from all the "omg help" posts in the thread so far. You're telling me the SAB/SEN combo didn't occur to anyone? It's like, one of the only things you can do with those two characters. :lol

Yeah I found that battle fairly easy. I imagine if the Crysts weren't high up though there'd be some issues.

I somewhat agree about the battle thing. A good trick is to try to experiment with paradigms to improve your efficiency. It's fun.

Dresden

BocoDragon said:

You know, what if you convinced someone to open their CE copy? :D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
hateradio said:
I knew I should have ordered two...
We'll see how the price actually holds over time though... You might think the price would only go up, but it might have been a phenomenon in that XIII is still a new game, but the LE was (last I checked) out of stock everywhere... everyone still wants it, but in the future, demand might actually go down.

Dresden said:
You know, what if you convinced someone to open their CE copy? :D
Maybe I'm just trying to diminish the number of sealed copies in the world so that I can profit more off my secret stash of CEs? :D

knitoe

Lost Fragment said:
Switch to a paradigm with a sentinel when he does the stomp for fringeward. Reduces the damage to manageable levels.
Been long time since tried combo with sentinal. Didn't work well back then. Ill give it whirl, but can't image having to switch sent and medic paridigm would get it done fast as 2 min.

Edit: Just quickly tried it with my current setup. With Fang in sent, each stomp is still doing almost 4k dam. My party on has most 10k. End up mostly trying to heal with little time to do anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom