• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
toasty_T said:
lmao at mission 34

There I am thinking I'm going to fight this big
tentacle monster
, instead a
Tonberry
comes out of nowhere and
shanks his ass
:lol

The second I saw the lamp, I just stood up and screamed out the window
MOTHER FUCKIN TONBERRY!
I don't care if the neighbors and everyone at their kid's birthday party gave me a look; those little psychos are awesome.

Gamer @ Heart said:
That was great. The target time on them is huge too.

It might be because
grudge
is time based rather than
how much damage you've dealt so far. Considering how much game has gone by before you encountered them even 1% of your total damage would mean death by hundreds of thousands...of thousands

After seeing the
The Don Mr Ton-berry and the Cactuars
I had the eventual 'this is a Final Fantasy game' smile.

cosmicblizzard said:
MOTHER FUCKIN TONBERRY!
I don't care if the neighbors and everyone at their kid's birthday party gave me a look; those little psychos are awesome.

Easily my favorite reoccurring character next to Gilgamesh.

knitoe

Anyway to tell current, stat of finish and/or mission you haven't done without having to go to mission stone? PS3 version if it makes a difference.

Edit: NM found it on map.

Castor Krieg said:
Is this confirmed?
Think that's wrong. Was farming for traps with just connoisuer equip and got nothing for almost 30 kills. Just for hell of it, equip the the collecter also and got trap on next kill. Got 3 more trap in about 15 kills and still getting plat ingots too.

Nose Master

Whoo, got my first Trap. First kill, too :lol

Greeaahfdhdhfdhgfg. Was trying to Death the Neochu in the
Titan Challenge
, didn't work. Tried to beat him legitimately, and got him down to 30%, without a single seed dispersal (wtf? This was like twenty minutes in, btw.) Then he did it, and I got rid of most of them with a summon. Got him really low... and he did seed dispersal again.

Went back to the Death method and got it the first time. :lol

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
hateradio said:
What do you mean by design? Just the layout of things, or the actual art and design? The game has a "break" from ultra linearity during Pulse, but then it goes right back to it.

I thought most of the game looked like crap though ... not all of course, and mostly just the textures and lighting and jaggies and the dithering ... just that.

It goes right back to it, but how is it different from any game FFIV to FFX?
They all were either one slightly wide linear path that spins & loops around or a linear path with several branching paths that usually end up with dead ends or to the same destination. The 2nd half of this game is no different.

As for the game looking like crap :lol
I could post some pics that might be spoilers, but the scale in this game, especially in the later parts, shits on nearly every game ever made.

zewone

Okay, so I'm almost positive I should have the Treasure Hunter achievement, but it says I"m missing something. I can't figure out what it is, since I sold my equipment I fully upgraded to cut down on farming time.

This really sucks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How do I not get Traps?

I've got 12 of them now and I'd much rather get Platinum Ingots... should I unequip the +drop items?

zewone

Yoshichan said:
How do I not get Traps?

I've got 12 of them now and I'd much rather get Platinum Ingots... should I unequip the +drop items?
Take off the Connisseur Catalog.

Nevermind my last post. Forgot to upgrade the Aquabane Brooch. 1000/1000. :D

Styles

zewone said:
Take off the Connisseur Catalog.

Nevermind my last post. Forgot to upgrade the Aquabane Brooch. 1000/1000. :D

Is there anyway to know how many different types of equipments you've acquired?

Zen

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
I wrote this on another board, defening this games story and setting. Do you guys agree with it?

Dude, how does talking to nameless npc add to the emotional connection? This is a story about 6 people who lives got twisted upside down and I'd like.....erm, and how all their alliances are conflicted, even with each other. Because of events out of their control, a solder who is suppose to fight against this kind of thing is forced to fight her own government for her sister, etc I think they did an adequate job in ch. 4-8 setting up these characters and their motivations/pasts, then in 9 - 11showing you the "real plan" of how it all came to be and why. They definitely could have refined the beginning chapters as they introduced all these concepts though. From the start they begin to just throw around words like l'cie without you being able to grasp what they truly mean in this world. When you see how freaked out civilians are in ch. 7 i believe about l'cie, you then begin to believe why the government would try to purge anyone that came near one, but because the story starts by throwing you right into the mess rather than living and learning in a world before the chaos hits, you dont have that time to adapt. Luckily, i didnt mind as much because of the data base and the gorgeous world the created.

I'm only at Chapter 7 (nearing the end) but I'd basically agree with you on what I've seen so far. The Game starts weak but keeps improving. Although thank god for the Datalog, it's a critical component to getting the most out of what's going on, and does a great job of clarifying everything you see in cutscenes that could have more clarity.

The story is growing on me a lot, and from a character standpoint I feel like this the the strongest 3D console FF game yet. The only 'weak' character so far is Vanille, and that's pretty much because we still don't know what her deal is.

Majmun

Short on Traezohedrons? Look no further!

You will need at least 6 Trapezohedrons to make an ultimate weapon for each character. At a cost of 12,000,000gil this is quite the task! Especially considering it will take another ~1,500,000gil to level it up.

What you have to do is front the bill and buy one Trapezohedron. From there, you must save up enough to be able to make either Kain's Lance (made from Dragoon Lance, Shamanic Spear, Punisher, Pandoran Spear or Gae Bolg) or Nirvana (made from Tigerclaw, Healer's Staff, Belladonna Wand or Mistilteinn).

Once it is at it's highest level, you have to dismantle it. This will net you THREE Trapezohedrons. While you won't make any money for selling them, you will save yourself 4,000,000 on ones that you would have to buy. You will also receive 36 Moonblossom Seeds which can be sold for 216,000gil.

Does that work? Should be pretty easy to max all weapons with that strategy...

And I've finished the game yersterday. The game is really wasn't that hard. Even 5 starred the last boss and got him down with one stagger.
I hated chapter 12, though. I think I've used 5 of the shrouds for hiding. Didn't want to fight the enemies there becasue it was a waste of time. They dropped very poor cp.

It hasn't been totally confirmed but just because you got an exception item despite having both Catalogs on does not mean this isn't correct. Basically, the game runs a triple dice roll: It rolls once for a Rare item (Which has a 1% default appearance, up to 5.5% with Conn. Catalog + 5-star rating), if that fails it rolls for a Common item (which has varying percentages, usually higher than 20 but with a max of 37.5%), and if that too fails it will roll for a Shroud. Shrouds are independent of the formula.

Basically, one enemy will only ever drop one item. The catalogs conflict because you can only ever take precedence with a Rare or Common item. Since an enemy will never drop more than one of either, if you want Traps you should only have a Conn. Catalog on, and if you want Ingots, you should have a Collector's on.

HOWEVER, there are exceptions. As I said, it's all a dice roll. I've gotten Ingots with only a Conn. Catalog on, however, my chances of getting a Trap are overall higher because I only have that catalog equipped.

Until someone totally disproves this, I'm sticking with it. People who consistently get Traps or get it on the first turtle just got a lucky dice roll. Fucking RNG.

Edit: The max a Fang or Vanille weapon trick is pretty good for getting Traps if you are unsuccessful through farming. However, it requires having at least one Trap. So either make the Gil or get the drop. You'll still need about 1.25 million Gil to max even the first weapon, though.

knitoe

^^^^^

As I said earlier, from my experience, it's incorrect. With just con equip, kill almost 30 turtles. Only got ingots or nothing. Got tired of it and just for the hell of it, equip a collector too. Next kill, got a trap. 15 kills after that, got 3 more and few ingots. I am sticking with both.

BeeDog

Alright, still stuck on chapter 4 and this game's harder than I imagined, not very good at it. Just unlocked the Omni-shop (weapon upgrade) option, and I'm wary of using components to upgrade these shitty beginner weapons. What do you guys say, should I start upgrading the stuff I have, or should I postpone upgrades? I really don't wanna use up any component now that may prove extremely useful/valuable down the road. Thanks in advance.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
Alright, still stuck on chapter 4 and this game's harder than I imagined, not very good at it. Just unlocked the Omni-shop (weapon upgrade) option, and I'm wary of using components to upgrade these shitty beginner weapons. What do you guys say, should I start upgrading the stuff I have, or should I postpone upgrades? I really don't wanna use up any component now that may prove extremely useful/valuable down the road. Thanks in advance.
Don't upgrade anything. You'll not notice any difference in damage since you've just started and you haven't got enough upgrade items to do anything special.

Gattsu25

Banned
hateradio said:
What do you mean by design? Just the layout of things, or the actual art and design? The game has a "break" from ultra linearity during Pulse, but then it goes right back to it.

I thought most of the game looked like crap though ... not all of course, and mostly just the textures and lighting and jaggies and the dithering ... just that.
Are you talking about the pixelated transparency of the hair/fur?

That's stipple alpha (last time I saw this was in Quake 2's software renderer), not dithering.

I've yet to notice any dithering on the PS3 version and I'm beginning to wonder if its just a case of people using the wrong term to describe a visual artifact.

BeeDog

Yoshichan said:
Don't upgrade anything. You'll not notice any difference in damage since you've just started and you haven't got enough upgrade items to do anything special.

Thanks. Got any suggestions as to when I should start upgrading shit? Is there perhaps a good website that details relevant upgrade paths and so on?

Fakto

Wait until the end of chapter 11 [wen you earn 450.000 gil], then take your time and upgrade to first Star lvl [or a bit more, even evolve one or two] the main role weapons of your main [3] fighting characters.
Serious upgrading doesn't come until you beat the final boss and start with the optional missions.

Yoshichan

BeeDog said:
Thanks. Got any suggestions as to when I should start upgrading shit? Is there perhaps a good website that details relevant upgrade paths and so on?
Well the game is very beatable without having upgraded anything at all and that's what I did. By doing everything after beating the game, you'll have a bigger sense of the whole thing and it won't be bothering you through the game. You'll need tons of money to actually notice any major differences and you can farm gil end game much easier :).

knitoe said:
^^^^^

As I said earlier, from my experience, it's incorrect. With just con equip, kill almost 30 turtles. Only got ingots or nothing. Got tired of it and just for the hell of it, equip a collector too. Next kill, got a trap. 15 kills after that, got 3 more and few ingots. I am sticking with both.
That doesn't make me incorrect, that just means the dice rolls were more in your favor. You didn't really understand what I said, did you?

Banned
ughh. it sucks seeing so many of you beat the game or get past chp. 11. I bought it on launch and I'm still there. Having a late night job completely kills any time for non-portable gaming.

BeeDog

This POS game is pissing me off, and I find it harder than Crushing on Uncharted 1 for some stupid reason. Stuck on the Odin battle, help please! He keeps obliterating me eventhough I start with a healing paradigm.

dramatis

Gamer @ Heart said:
I wrote this on another board, defening this games story and setting. Do you guys agree with it?

Dude, how does talking to nameless npc add to the emotional connection? This is a story about 6 people who lives got twisted upside down and I'd like.....erm, and how all their alliances are conflicted, even with each other. Because of events out of their control, a solder who is suppose to fight against this kind of thing is forced to fight her own government for her sister, etc I think they did an adequate job in ch. 4-8 setting up these characters and their motivations/pasts, then in 9 - 11showing you the "real plan" of how it all came to be and why. They definitely could have refined the beginning chapters as they introduced all these concepts though. From the start they begin to just throw around words like l'cie without you being able to grasp what they truly mean in this world. When you see how freaked out civilians are in ch. 7 i believe about l'cie, you then begin to believe why the government would try to purge anyone that came near one, but because the story starts by throwing you right into the mess rather than living and learning in a world before the chaos hits, you dont have that time to adapt. Luckily, i didnt mind as much because of the data base and the gorgeous world the created.

Let me ask you one thing: what reason did you have to save Cocoon?

It was filled with NPCs that talked shit about l'Cies and Pulse, and, somehow, you were supposed to want to save it it. You spent your whole time running away from a place that wanted you dead. Can you genuinely say you wanted to save Cocoon? For what reason, other than it's pretty? OMG it makes sense in the context of the story, but the story is shit and they could have written a different one that allowed you all sorts of freedoms, instead they wrote a steaming pile of crap that resulted in a 25-hour dramafest and tunnel vision until you get to the "good part" with still more drama. Because you develop little connection to the world, unless you love the characters you will feel dead about the end. Unless you love the characters, you will not really want to save Cocoon, except to end the game.

The nature of a world is characterized by the civilization that lives on it. NPCs give substance to a world by presenting varying aspects of its culture and their particular concerns, and fleshes out history and details without having to resort to a menu option. Is it that you like having a bunch of text to look at for convenience instead of interaction with people? Or are you the kind of person that just likes navel-gazing and focusing only on your characters and not caring two shits about the world?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
dramatis said:
Let me ask you one thing: what reason did you have to save Cocoon?

It was filled with NPCs that talked shit about l'Cies and Pulse, and, somehow, you were supposed to want to save it it. You spent your whole time running away from a place that wanted you dead. Can you genuinely say you wanted to save Cocoon? For what reason, other than it's pretty? OMG it makes sense in the context of the story, but the story is shit and they could have written a different one that allowed you all sorts of freedoms, instead they wrote a steaming pile of crap that resulted in a 25-hour dramafest and tunnel vision until you get to the "good part" with still more drama. Because you develop little connection to the world, unless you love the characters you will feel dead about the end. Unless you love the characters, you will not really want to save Cocoon, except to end the game.

The nature of a world is characterized by the civilization that lives on it. NPCs give substance to a world by presenting varying aspects of its culture and their particular concerns, and fleshes out history and details without having to resort to a menu option. Is it that you like having a bunch of text to look at for convenience instead of interaction with people? Or are you the kind of person that just likes navel-gazing and focusing only on your characters and not caring two shits about the world?

Look at it as a Vietnam War allegory. Your party is drafted to fight a war on behalf of a people who would rather see you die. It's practically Platoon!

Ricker

Damn the mission 12 Boss....I was sooooo close,I could hardly see his health on the meter and he one shots me...I have never switched Lightning as a Leader yet or played without her in there,I might try something different like that next time...

orion434

Second said:
Does that work? Should be pretty easy to max all weapons with that strategy...

And I've finished the game yersterday. The game is really wasn't that hard. Even 5 starred the last boss and got him down with one stagger.
I hated chapter 12, though. I think I've used 5 of the shrouds for hiding. Didn't want to fight the enemies there becasue it was a waste of time. They dropped very poor cp.

No it's not easy... to fully upgrade an Ultimate weapon it requires over 1 million Gil in Ultracompact Reactors. Sure if you are willing to spend 2 million on a trap this method is better, but there are much easier ways of making gil and getting traps. This method should only be applied if you upgraded the wrong series to Ultimate... at least that way you didn't waste everything.

mr_nothin said:
I'm in the same boat as you. This is like a 5/6 game. So mediocre...and I'm 20 hours in. It's hard to keep playing but for some strange reason, I want to finish it. I keep hearing about this "opening up".

No I hit the same conclusion and got so fed up with the game I stopped playing in Chapter 11 (where the game "opens up"). I intend to go back and finish at some point but mediocre is definitely how I would describe it, which is saying something given that the presentation is as good as anything out there. Even the battle system lost all appeal for me...I kept thinking that once I could control my battle party and open up most of the crystarium then it would start to shine. Instead, that's where the frustrating flaws in the team AI become impossible to ignore.

Well after all I have read, I thought CH 10 was gonna be bad. Outside of taking some time, the bosses were a breeze. Now on to Gran Pulse. The Crystarium System seems a bit off during CH10, I went from needing 2000cp to 750cp. Then after the boss it goes up to 4000cp??

Yoshichan

Is there some kind of guide or something that shows what I should do to get some of the accessories I'm missing?

Like: Wurtzite Bangle (HP +1500) for instance?

Banned
BeeDog said:
This POS game is pissing me off, and I find it harder than Crushing on Uncharted 1 for some stupid reason. Stuck on the Odin battle, help please! He keeps obliterating me eventhough I start with a healing paradigm.
don't start with that. Start with a ravager and a healer or dual ravagers if you can survive the first blow without taking to much damage, then switch to dual healers to recover. Switch back to ravager. Rinse and repeat.

darkjedi187 said:
Well after all I have read, I thought CH 10 was gonna be bad. Outside of taking some time, the bosses were a breeze. Now on to Gran Pulse. The Crystarium System seems a bit off during CH10, I went from needing 2000cp to 750cp. Then after the boss it goes up to 4000cp??

I think that was like a "mid-level" pretty decent to have though the benefits of maximizing crysterium in 11 will go a long way

linsivvi

ZephyrFate said:
That doesn't make me incorrect, that just means the dice rolls were more in your favor. You didn't really understand what I said, did you?

The formula you posted is exactly the same as the guide book, but your advice is off. There's no reason not to equip the collector since it has zero impact on getting a rare drop. There's also no reason not to equip both unless you already have enough traps.

Conn doesn't really help much on getting traps though (+0.5%)...

Meier

Played last night for the first time in a handful of days. Beat
Belandarus (sp) in his second form
and then saved there after so I assume I am going onto Chapter 12. I failed my first time -- wasn't anywhere near killing him. Swapped out Hope for Vanille the next time and pretty much crushed him although I still only got a 1-star. :lol I struggled a little in the middle where I probably went too conservative which ended up hurting my time obviously.

Just curious, how am I able to get back to Gran Pulse later? Do I take the same ship or is there some sort of teleporter? Or do I have to completely re-trace my steps and start out on the well, steppes?

orion434

Meier said:
Played last night for the first time in a handful of days. Beat
Belandarus (sp) in his second form
and then saved there after so I assume I am going onto Chapter 12. I failed my first time -- wasn't anywhere near killing him. Swapped out Hope for Vanille the next time and pretty much crushed him although I still only got a 1-star. :lol I struggled a little in the middle where I probably went too conservative which ended up hurting my time obviously.

Just curious, how am I able to get back to Gran Pulse later? Do I take the same ship or is there some sort of teleporter? Or do I have to completely re-trace my steps and start out on the well, steppes?

In the final chapter there is a Teleporter to Gran Pulse &
Eden

Dra-Q

Banned
I'm finally at chapter 11 and Gran Pulse :D
It's like a different game and after 27h I'm having fun with it. Way to go Square Enix.

lljride

Is there a good place to get Dark Matter late in the game? I've been working on upgrading Imperial Armlets for everyone (have about 3 so far), but I've just been farming platinum ingots for the gil to front the upgrades. If they become a drop later on I'll move on to something else.

K' Dash

cosmicblizzard said:
MOTHER FUCKIN TONBERRY!

those fuckers can rape you if you don't kill them fast enough, like previous FF, I think there's a mission where you fight 3 of them at the same time, crazy.

Zoe

K' Dash said:
those fuckers can rape you if you don't kill them fast enough, like previous FF, I think there's a mission where you fight 3 of them at the same time, crazy.

Speed is the key.

(+pre-emptive attack)

Meier

So I was still using a Gladius for Light (I like that other one that yields ATB per hit too but the damage is so low.. tough call) but finally upgraded it to the Helter-Skelter. Thankfully I found a Moogle Toy and got 18k for it because that helped a lot.

I had 6 Moonberry seeds (or whatever they're called exactly) that I have seen referenced on here as a good way to grind.. but I have done any of that on Gran Pulse and only did 2 hunts on the steppes -- I've just been progressing the game. Where did I get these? 6k each is pretty awesome. :lol

BeeDog

don't start with that. Start with a ravager and a healer or dual ravagers if you can survive the first blow without taking to much damage, then switch to dual healers to recover. Switch back to ravager. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks; already fought my way through the boss the hard way (4 retries after my initial barrage of failures). :D

Celcius

°Temp. member
I got an email this morning from amazon saying that since I pre-ordered the game, I get a free 4-page strategy guide pdf. It seems to be the first four pages of the full version. :lol :lol
Anyone else get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom