• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnizzle06

Banned
So I've just reached Gran Pulse. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Should I start battling random creatures or should I start doing the missions? Also, is there an easier way to find where the mission-boss is or do I have to just search the map until I find a star?

edgefusion

I think I'm gonna put this game to bed. Farming Trapezohedrons is just ridiculously slow, even with the connoisseurs catalogs. Playing almost non-stop for the last 4 days (!) and only 2 dropped, I just can't be bothered anymore.

Choopy

Neo Member
lljride said:
I think it's worth it too, although you might want to hold off on doing it too much until you get the growth egg. Looking back I probably could've saved at least 5-10 hours of grinding if I would've stuck with the adamantoises. I spent a couple of hours grinding CP with the behemoth and his buddy (which gives no gil). After that I moved to Mission 24 which is pretty good for CP and gil (12000 CP with growth egg, 6000 gil w/mission reward, 45 secs a piece), but adamantoise are still more efficient in the long run.

What is this growth egg that keeps getting mentioned?
Does it double your CP or something? Where/when do you get it?

So yeah, Chapter 11 has been very enjoyable so far. Even my fears of it becoming too unfocused to play in short play sessions have been quieted. Except for this battle with
Vanille's Eidolon
. This has been the only battle in the game I've spent more than 20 minutes on. So far I have spent an hour constructing various strategies and I have still not won. Not sure what I'm doing wrong of if I can even do anything better at this point. I'll try again tonight or tomorrow but damn if that's not defeating.

lljride

Choopy said:
What is this growth egg that keeps getting mentioned?
Does it double your CP or something? Where/when do you get it?

Yep, double CP. You get it from Mission 55. Need to complete missions 1-6 and 8-14 first, plus you'll want the death spell that opens up for Vanille at the end of Ch 11.

Edit: Argh, thanks Zoe!

Zoe

lljride said:
Yep, double CP. You get it from Mission 7. Need to complete missions 1-6 and 8-14 first, plus you'll want the death spell that opens up for Vanille at the end of Ch 11.

Uh.... it's mission

bunbun777

Just getting into the missions now that i have beat the game, i love how
there are more side stories as you open up new map areas with the missions
nice little touches.

I 5 starred the final boss woot-- and that was after running by some of the mobs beforehand, i just couldn't wait that last half hour.

Also about the end boss, did anyone notice that
Orphan was the Pythagorian Theorem- in that there was a Male/Female aspect with the divine child(the right angle) being the baby head, also the sun/son- creeped me out a bit but I guess that was the point, lol

lunlunqq

Fakto said:
Yeah, but my question was: How many times, on average, do you restart the Adamantoise combat before killing it ?

I'm using the death trick. I roughly fail once after every three successful turtle kills. Having 3 sab on your team will increase successful rate of death a lot.

Meier

Got to the presumed boss of chapter 12 last night,
Rosch or whatever
... wish I had known that he was immune to all negative status effects! :lol I just ended up letting myself die on purpose since using a Sab instead of a Syn for that fight was pointless.

I really wish S-E weren't fucking assholes and made the Trapozedron drop rate higher. I have no urge to play the post-game because of this one fucking factor.

Giolon

ZephyrFate said:
I really wish S-E weren't fucking assholes and made the Trapozedron drop rate higher. I have no urge to play the post-game because of this one fucking factor.

You guys do know how to generate 3 traps out of 1 right?...it only takes 1,500,000 Gil...which isn't really that terrible if you're able to kill the adamantoises anyway.

I've done the first six missions, and I really just want to get the thing that double exp. From this point, can someone tell me how to get there? And do I need to beat these missions in chronological order or something? Some of the mission-starters (whatever they're called) are on the ground....

Edit. Whoops, looks like this was actually just answered above. My bad.

bunbun777

Meier said:
Got to the presumed boss of chapter 12 last night,
Rosch or whatever
... wish I had known that he was immune to all negative status effects! :lol I just ended up letting myself die on purpose since using a Sab instead of a Syn for that fight was pointless.

Do you use Libra much? I try to get in the habit of using it only so that my 2 partners will effectively dish out the good stuff asap- Librascopes are probably better but i always have tp cuz i think
summoning Odin/whomever is either cheap-- or a total 'oh shi-- hit the button!' situation and even then i can just use refresh...anywho...

Giolon said:
You guys do know how to generate 3 traps out of 1 right?...it only takes 1,500,000 Gil...which isn't really that terrible if you're able to kill the adamantoises anyway.
Yeah, well, Ingots don't drop that well, either.

bunbun777

FateBreaker said:
I've done the first six missions, and I really just want to get the thing that double exp. From this point, can someone tell me how to get there? And do I need to beat these missions in chronological order or something? Some of the mission-starters (whatever they're called) are on the ground....

it is quest 55 for the double cp-- also after 64 you get the gold watch for improving times= 5 star ratings if thats important to you idk- you do not have to do all the missions first, but alot of them you do have to accomplish, certain ones unlock other strings-- im not sure exactly how close you have to get-- im wanting that cp egg too!

Exhumed

Just started chapter 11 and man is there a large difficulty curve.
King Behemoth ended up being a total ***** to kill. Took me a few tries but I did manage to cheese him (only lvl 3 crysarium, very little beyond that). Timing was very important, basically had to keep him juggled in the air with Commandos so he couldnt transform to his second phase. Any other group setup/buffs/debuffs just didnt provide the needed damage output to accomplish this and his second form would wittle me down slowly. Strategy wins again!

Also I need some help on mission 4
The mark shows up right next to the cie'th stone but i dont see anything. It appears to be above the star on the map but there is no path and no mark. Is there something I am missing or was it just it being midnight causing unneccesary confusion?

If you aren't going for ultimate weapons and trophies, post-game is a lot of fun. I can understand people being frustrated at the drop rates. Them the breaks when you try to complete Final Fantasy games 100%.

Only one enemy left for me to take down. Long Gui. You will fall.

Zoe

Exhumed said:
The mark shows up right next to the cie'th stone but i dont see anything. It appears to be above the star on the map but there is no path and no mark. Is there something I am missing or was it just it being midnight causing unneccesary confusion?

Look in a different zone.

Psy-Phi

Exhumed said:

Read the Mission when you accept it (or hit square on the map screen). It tells you the name of the zone the mark is in. Compare it to the one you're in, if it's wrong, find the proper zone then look for a star.

Mission 4 is in a different zone, and quite a trek from the area you get it in. After Chapter 13 it will take you less than 5 minutes to get there avoiding what you can and decimating what you can't. But I can't imagine trying to rush through during Chapter 11 if that's where you are.

Meier

bunbun777 said:
Do you use Libra much? I try to get in the habit of using it only so that my 2 partners will effectively dish out the good stuff asap- Librascopes are probably better but i always have tp cuz i think
summoning Odin/whomever is either cheap-- or a total 'oh shi-- hit the button!' situation and even then i can just use refresh...anywho...
I typically will Libra every new enemy. Is it possible to buy the scopes? I think I've only ever used ones or found...

Anyway, I used it on him almost right away and saw he was immune. I fought for a bit and got him to like 70% HP then figured Meg, I'll try tomorrow. I wish it saved your paradigm settings. :(

Im trying to blow by Chap 12, Im done with this game, only game Ive been playing for two weeks and I want to move on to GOW, a bit tired of it, I really enjoyed it though, its really a beautiful looking game, i give it a solid 9.

Exhumed

Psy-Phi said:
Read the Mission when you accept it (or hit square on the map screen). It tells you the name of the zone the mark is in. Compare it to the one you're in, if it's wrong, find the proper zone then look for a star.

Mission 4 is in a different zone, and quite a trek from the area you get it in. After Chapter 13 it will take you less than 5 minutes to get there avoiding what you can and decimating what you can't. But I can't imagine trying to rush through during Chapter 11 if that's where you are.

I'll have to check on it later. When I grabbed Mission 3 it had me trek about 2 zones over (so I know when a mark is in another zone) and mission 4 was in that zone. The mark star was not on a zoneline as was before but clearly marked in this zone. I'll get back to you guys. As an RPG veteran I felt pretty stupid last night not being able to figure it out :lol

Edit: It wasn't difficult to get over there to be honest. 4-5 starred every encounter so I think we are thinking of different zones here.

Epix

I cannot fucking beat Vanille's Eidolon. Here's how the fight goes down for me:

SAB/SEN - Vanielle gets Deprotect and Deshell (and possibly Imperil) up
RAV/COM - Try to get a few shots in to build up stagger bar
MED/SEN - Quick switch when he moves in to attack

Here's where it gets retarded. He knocks down either Fang or both Fang and Vanielle down so far during his attack sequence that I spend all of his downtime healing back up. Then he attacks again and it's rinse repeat. I never get another opportunity outside of the first 10s of the fight to attack again. Doom counter reaches 0 and it's gg. It doesn't help that I don't have any shrouds available and it doesn't seem you can purchase any.

Rpgmonkey

Epix said:

Here's where it gets retarded. He knocks down either Fang or both Fang and Vanielle down so far during his attack sequence that I spend all of his downtime healing back up. Then he attacks again and it's rinse repeat. I never get another opportunity outside of the first 10s of the fight to attack again. Doom counter reaches 0 and it's gg. It doesn't help that I don't have any shrouds available and it doesn't seem you can purchase any.

The hints for Eidolon battles in this game are stupid and besides like one of them, mostly useless and make things more difficult than they need to be.

Use SAB/SEN and MED/SEN. Ravagers/Commandos are pointless for the fight.

Epix

Rpgmonkey said:
The hints for Eidolon battles in this game are stupid and besides like one of them, mostly useless and make things more difficult than they need to be.

Use SAB/SEN and MED/SEN. Ravagers/Commandos are pointless for the fight.
There's nothing to charge the Gasalt meter....

Sora_N

I'm about 20 minutes into Chapter 10, how long is this chapter? All this talk about turtles just makes me want to get through Chapter 11. I like mes some grinding. :lol

grumble

Epix said:
There's nothing to charge the Gasalt meter....

SAB and MED both charge the meter. Basically just use SAB, then MED, then spam RAV and switch back to med. You should only have a little time to do it in. I finished the fight with 40 left on the doom meter.

expy

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Yeah, well, Ingots don't drop that well, either.
You wearing your collector's?
BTW, if you're not able to defeat an Adamantoise in 1 stagger, I'd suggest farming elsewhere and upping crystarium first. Taking longer than 2 mins to kill one isn't very productive.

grumble

expy said:
You wearing your collector's?
BTW, if you're not able to defeat an Adamantoise in 1 stagger, I'd suggest farming elsewhere and upping crystarium first. Taking longer than 2 mins to kill one isn't very productive.

Do collector's stack? Does the connoisseur's do the collector's job as well as increasing rares?

Sora_N said:
I'm about 20 minutes into Chapter 10, how long is this chapter? All this talk about turtles just makes me want to get through Chapter 11. I like mes some grinding. :lol

That chapter should take at most 2 hours, unless you stop for an hour or so to farm for crysterium points.

Ricker

Epix said:

I noticed something beating it finally...use SAB/SAB but place it on the third paragdim,otherwise Fang doesn`t use it,start 2 rounds with that,then switch to heal when he attacks,make sure Fang is Sentinel,then Sab/Com,rinse,repeat,you should barely make it...also try using different accessories...I think double potion helped me as well.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Epix said:

SAB/SAB is the fastest way to charge a meter outside of RAV/RAV.

Just switch between SAB/SAB & SAB/MED

I never even once attack him & beat it on my first try.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ricker said:
I noticed something beating it finally...use SAB/SAB but place it on the third paragdim,otherwise Fang doesn`t use it,start 2 rounds with that,then switch to heal when he attacks,make sure Fang is Sentinel,then Sab/Com,rinse,repeat,you should barely make it...also try using different accessories...I think double potion helped me as well.

Place it on the third paradigm? That must be a glitch right, 'cause it just doesn't make sense. It's not like a place the paradigms from most to least important, when I choose a paradigm, regardless of where the fuck it is in the list, I expect the character to act their role.

How the heck can a SAB/SAB be fast at charging up the meter? Does the meter rise constantly if there's an active debuff on the enemy? If you only throw a debuff spell every once in a while, how can they actually have much of an impact on the charging meter?

StarEye said:
Place it on the third paradigm? That must be a glitch right, 'cause it just doesn't make sense. It's not like a place the paradigms from most to least important, when I choose a paradigm, regardless of where the fuck it is in the list, I expect the character to act their role.

How the heck can a SAB/SAB be fast at charging up the meter? Does the meter rise constantly if there's an active debuff on the enemy? If you only throw a debuff spell every once in a while, how can they actually have much of an impact on the charging meter?

SAB A.I. won't cast anymore debuffs if the enemy is already afflicted with all the possible debuffs.

SAB can build up the chain meter by themselves. They don't drive up the meter as quick as a RAV, but the meter also drains slower. It is somewhere in between COM and RAV as far as chain building.

If you play as SAB, you can build the chain spamming the same debuffs over and over again.

Epix

FTWer said:
SAB/SAB is the fastest way to charge a meter outside of RAV/RAV.

Just switch between SAB/SAB & SAB/MED

I never even once attack him & beat it on my first try.
It's going to be impossible for me without the haste shroud. Simply using SAB/SEN and MED/SEN won't fill the bar fast enough. Period.

Using SAB/SAB doesn't do shit because he's immuned to all Fang's debuffs. She's never gotten a debuff on the boss.

Epix said:
It's going to be impossible for me without the haste shroud. Simply using SAB/SEN and MED/SEN won't fill the bar fast enough. Period.

Using SAB/SAB doesn't do shit because he's immuned to all Fang's debuffs. She's never gotten a debuff on the boss.

Yes, once you've Libra'd the boss, Fang will just stand there and do nothing if you set her to SAB. So don't set Fang to SAB. ;)

I did that Eidolon with RAV/SEN and MED/SEN. Leave Fang as SEN and just have her soak up the pain while you spam any random element at the Eidolon. Every now and then he will push Fang's life bar into the red, so switch to MED/SEN for a moment to heal her, then go back to RAV/SEN and spam spells. I did it my second try with around 400 time left on the Doom.

I had it freeze on me once in almost 70hrs of play. 360 version.

I went retry for a fight then it dropped me right surrounded by all the enemies still and I ran into them/they agro'ed like as the screen was still loading I guess and the game just locked up.

Happend in that area mid way through the game where you hit the switches to make all those staircase things appear, and you can go many different directions from the platforms. I was near the bottom of the area and had farmed all the places already just about to reach the save point when it happened. I was like aw man. >_<

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, I guessing you actually need tier 2 weapons to defeat an Adamantoise legitimately?

I managed to get the Genji gloves, but it's still not enough.

eXistor

Just finished the main-quest. All in all a very disappointing game for me, but it's still worth playing. It's a shame the game offers almost no variety for the biggest part of the game, it really is nothing more than just walking and fighting battle after battle without anything to break the tedium. I'm very much looking forward to finally doing the rest of the hunts, that was by far the best part of the game; no lame-ass cutscenes, just walking around hunting down monsters.

Kudos to the art designers though. The whole game, especially near the end, looked amazing. Very frustrating that the game doesn't allow you to actually experience the gorgeous environments, but here's hoping they'll learn from their mistakes...then again XIII did come after X.

I'm probably sounding overly-negative and I do dislike a large amount of the game, but as a huge FF fan it really isn't something you want to miss, there's a lot to be said for the game even if I personally don't agree with a lot of the design-decisions. For what it sets out to be it's a pretty good game. However, considering almost every earlier iteration has been so much more diverse, epic and sprawling, it feels like a few big steps back for the genre in a few ways.

Replicant

Exhumed said:
Just started chapter 11 and man is there a large difficulty curve.
King Behemoth ended up being a total ***** to kill. Took me a few tries but I did manage to cheese him (only lvl 3 crysarium, very little beyond that). Timing was very important, basically had to keep him juggled in the air with Commandos so he couldnt transform to his second phase. Any other group setup/buffs/debuffs just didnt provide the needed damage output to accomplish this and his second form would wittle me down slowly. Strategy wins again!

King Behemot is very easy if you know how. Use Lightning/Fang/Vanille (who needs to have poison in her arsenal). Make sure you pre-emptive attack him (if failing, try again). Immediately go COM/RAV/RAV until he staggers, then use COM/COM/SAB. Vanille will cast infinite poison into the sucker so that while you juggle him with Light and Fang, his life will get drained quickly. It doesn't matter if you drop the sucker because before even the stagger bar is over, he'd disappear into thin air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom