• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-wood

lljride said:
I screwed up and didn't open the portals on the way to the end of Ch 11, but honestly the trip back isn't that bad. The Tower is a straight shot down the elevator, and you can skip most of the enemies in the mines and in that little lake area. Took about 20 mins or so.

Where are these portals? I don't want to miss them. Is it obvious for you to open something or are they hidden?

Baha

firehawk12 said:
Don't the Adamantoises turn into Long Gui after you finish 51?

That's mission 63 I believe. And even when that happens there's still a way to farm them but it's more time consuming
(Eden portal)

MechaX

firehawk12 said:
Don't the Adamantoises turn into Long Gui after you finish 51?

They turn into Long Gui if you either complete 56-62 and finish 51 or accept Mission 63. I don't remember which one it was and some people on other forums did note that Long Guis started spawning before they completely finished the set of missions but after completing 51.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Edit: Laaaate.

That's weird. I thought 63 was the easy way to get the Genji Gloves to farm the Adamantoises on Gran Pulse? I'm confused now. :lol

rataven

Just started this last night. Think I'm at the end of chapter 2? Music is gorgeous. Story, not so much. If it wasn't for the datalog, I'd have no idea what was going on.

So does Gil ever get more plentiful? Should I be selling some of the drops I've been getting (aerosols and fangs)? I think I have a character or two who are missing accessories and I don't have enough Gil to just buy them, so I figured I'd sell some stuff. Or is it better to hang on to these tchotchkes?

Zoe

j-wood said:
Where are these portals? I don't want to miss them. Is it obvious for you to open something or are they hidden?

These "portals" are part of a teleport network across Pulse. To enable teleportation to a certain area, you need to complete the required mission.

firehawk12 said:
Ah, which missions was that then?

56~62

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Baha said:
Finally beat mission 51 after a couple of tries. My question atm is, do I need maxed out weapons for farming adamantoises w/o using summons? I've been successful in using summons to stagger them (usually twice in a fight) or a summon so I could cast death but refilling the TP after the fight feels like it takes too much time.

No, I've been doing it with maxed out level 5 Crysterium characters (everyone) and only one ultimate weapon (Fang's) leveled to about 38. The other two party members have level 2 weapons.

Fang/Vanille/Hope

1.) Sab/Sab/Syn on one of the legs

(if you don't have earth-absorbing accessories, you might want to try Sab/Med/Syn; to stagger the leg more quickly try Rav/Rav/Rav)

2.) Once the leg is staggered, switch to Com/Rav/Rav (or Com/Med/Med if you need healing). Highwind can be used successfully to take out the remaining health on the leg when about 50-33% of the green bar remains.

3.) Repeat the process on the other leg once you take out the first one.

4.) Once the turtle collapses, Sab/Sab/Syn again to apply at least deprotect/deshell/slow status effects. Then switch to Rav/Rav/Rav to stagger.

5.) Once staggered, whale away at the turtle using Com/Rav/Rav. When you get down to about 33% health, try using Highwind again. There's a good chance this will take out the turtle completely. Don't bother using Highwind when the turtle gets up, even if it is still staggered (it will get up when the stagger is almost complete), as it becomes much less powerful.

You may have to repeat this process if you can't kill the turtle the first time it is staggered, but you don't need to gather TP for a summons.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Man, I must have neglected to grind early in the game because Pulse is kickin' my ass.

And um...I completed 17 of those missions so far and it says I'm at 17%. Does that mean there are 100 of those missons? O_O

Also...I'm afraid to leave that large plain area because I'm afraid I won't be able to come back. Can I leave and come back later?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Epix said:
I'm getting wtfpwnt by
Vanille's Eidolon
atm. Any suggestions?

Use sab/com

When fang go to attack, on his second blow change to sab/sen and hel/sen when hp low, so you avoid aoe attacks

Zoe

firehawk12 said:
Edit: Laaaate.

That's weird. I thought 63 was the easy way to get the Genji Gloves to farm the Adamantoises on Gran Pulse? I'm confused now. :lol

51 should be easier for getting the Genji Gloves.

Baha

luxarific said:
No, I've been doing it with maxed out level 5 Crysterium characters (everyone) and only one ultimate weapon (Fang's) leveled to about 38. The other two party members have level 2 weapons.

Fang/Vanille/Hope

1.) Sab/Sab/Syn on one of the legs

(if you don't have earth-absorbing accessories, you might want to try Sab/Med/Syn; to stagger the leg more quickly try Rav/Rav/Rav)

2.) Once the leg is staggered, switch to Com/Rav/Rav (or Com/Med/Med if you need healing). Highwind can be used successfully to take out the remaining health on the leg when about 50-33% of the green bar remains.

3.) Repeat the process on the other leg once you take out the first one.

4.) Once the turtle collapses, Sab/Sab/Syn again to apply at least deprotect/deshell/slow status effects. Then switch to Rav/Rav/Rav to stagger.

5.) Once staggered, whale away at the turtle using Com/Rav/Rav. When you get down to about 33% health, try using Highwind again. There's a good chance this will take out the turtle completely. Don't bother using Highwind when the turtle gets up, even if it is still staggered (it will get up when the stagger is almost complete), as it becomes much less powerful.

You may have to repeat this process if you can't kill the turtle the first time it is staggered, but you don't need to gather TP for a summons.

Thank you. At which point should I resume the missions? After I completed upgrading my weapons?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
140.85 said:
Also...I'm afraid to leave that large plain area because I'm afraid I won't be able to come back. Can I leave and come back later?

After you beat the game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Baha said:
Thank you. At which point should I resume the missions? After I completed upgrading my weapons?

Whenever killing turtles gets too dull, I take a break by trying a mission I haven't completed yet or trying to five-star one of the missions I have. This has the nice side-effect of respawing the turtles. It's really up to you.

Also, when I said maxed-out Level 5 crysterium characters, I mean just the three main roles of each character. The 80K CP (with growth egg equipped) is one of the side-benefits of farming turtles for ingots/traps. Even then, it's going to take awhile to max out all the roles for each character.

Vanille

Zoe said:
But if you're at the point where you're wanting to farm, you should be strong enough to just beat him down.

Well, that's true. But if you just wanted to get the Genji Gloves as soon as possible, 63 would be the way to go.

Yazus

Hey guys, I'm at CH11, in the Tower.

Is it OK to have Lightning/Hope/Fang (ATK/COM/DEF)?

Also Lightning is ATK/COM lv4
Hope is MED/COM lv4
Fang is DEF/ATK lv4

I have not levelled Weapons very much, Lightning have Healter-Skelter lvl 19 and the other two have lvl 15 un modified weapons.

Also, I have 10k Gil. How can I boost my Gil? Do I need to upgrade my Weaps/Accessories or I don't need them and I can leave the Upgrade stuff for post game where I can farm Ingots to get 1m Gil?

Zoe

Yazus said:
Hey guys, I'm at CH11, in the Tower.

Is it OK to have Lightning/Hope/Fang (ATK/COM/DEF)?

Also Lightning is ATK/COM lv4
Hope is MED/COM lv4
Fang is DEF/ATK lv4

Uh... your abbreviations are all messed up.

Anyway, yeah, I beat the chapter with those three.

desverger

I'm at the beginning of chapter 11, most of my roles are level 3. I haven't upgraded any weapons beyond level 2. I also haven't bought any accessories or extra weapons. I don't have even 100k gil.

I'd totally appreciate if one of the active and knowledgeable people in this thread could quickly sum up the order of things of what to do now in order to finish the game in a comfortable manner. I'm not sure I'll go for the Treasure Hunter achievement but I'd like to develop all characters at least and get through the battles with relative ease, so I suppose upgrading my weapons is a top priority (to get fast CP/gil)?

This chapter just feels like a slog - like I said previously, all the "random" enemies are tough as nails too, and fighting them is far from fun. Game was fun when I knew what to do and stayed slightly ahead of the curve, but now I feel completely lost :lol

Skilletor

This battle system is so amazing. I still think it could use gambits, but that's okay. So much fun with all three party members.

Chapter 9 boss owned me. Damn spells kept knocking me down and interrupting my attacks. :lol

Running through the area before that was a good place to get used to all the roles with a permanent party.

Jrmint

Has anyone else experienced this?

I will play the game for a half hour - an hour and all of a sudden the sound in the game will cut out and then the game will freeze moments later.

I at first thought it was my PS3, but I played Uncharted 2 for an hour with no issue whatsoever.

I have about 53 hours into the game and I really do not want to have to buy a new PS3 to finish this game :(.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Vanille said:
Well, that's true. But if you just wanted to get the Genji Gloves as soon as possible, 63 would be the way to go.

So 63 alone definitely spawns the Long Gui? I guess I'll have to grind through the trials then... oof.

Vanille

firehawk12 said:
So 63 alone definitely spawns the Long Gui? I guess I'll have to grind through the trials then... oof.

No no, you have to complete the circle of death (56-62) to hang with the Long Gui.

Zoe

firehawk12 said:

I don't understand why you'd want to farm but you wouldn't want to go through any of those missions...

Skel said:

I will play the game for a half hour - an hour and all of a sudden the sound in the game will cut out and then the game will freeze moments later.

I at first thought it was my PS3, but I played Uncharted 2 for an hour with no issue whatsoever.

I have about 53 hours into the game and I really do not want to have to buy a new PS3 to finish this game :(.

Never had one problem with the game, does it happen often or just that one time?

Fakto

For those who Farm Adamantoises with the
Hecatoncheir - Death
technique ... How many times you die before succeeding ?
I just did it, but it took me 3 times [3 deaths and restart combat], it's normal ?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Vanille said:
No no, you have to complete the circle of death (56-62) to hang with the Long Gui.

I think I'm totally confused now. Finishing 63 alone to get the Genji gloves will not get rid of the Adamantoise spawns on Gran Pulse?

Zoe said:
I don't understand why you'd want to farm but you wouldn't want to go through any of those missions...

Honestly, I just feel like grinding for traps now while the game still has my attention. The longer I put it off, the less likely I'll end up doing it.

Fakto said:
For those who Farm Adamantoises with the
Hecatoncheir - Death
technique ... How many times you die before succeeding ?
I just did it, but it took me 3 times [3 deaths and restart combat], it's normal ?

I find that if you don't hit it after it stands up, you might as well restart at that point. All my of kills come from the fact that the Adamantoise is fully debuffed and downed.

Fakto

firehawk12 said:
I find that if you don't hit it after it stands up, you might as well restart at that point. All my of kills come from the fact that the Adamantoise is fully debuffed and downed.
Yeah, but my question was: How many times, on average, do you restart the Adamantoise combat before killing it ?

orion434

Fakto said:
Yeah, but my question was: How many times, on average, do you restart the Adamantoise combat before killing it ?

I was bored and took some samples for this... on average 12.4 Casts of Death... roughly 8% chance, this isn't taking into account how many "debuffs" were active. I only once hit it on first cast :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, I did it four times yesterday and it worked three times... small sample size of course.

If it wasn't find the need to grind out TP afterwards, I'd might just stick to that for farming.

Jrmint

dreamer3kx said:
Never had one problem with the game, does it happen often or just that one time?
It's happened like 3 or 4 times in a row. And never happened once in the first 50 hours.

Edit - Posting again for a new page.

knitoe

Baha said:
Finally beat mission 51 after a couple of tries. My question atm is, do I need maxed out weapons for farming adamantoises w/o using summons? I've been successful in using summons to stagger them (usually twice in a fight) or a summon so I could cast death but refilling the TP after the fight feels like it takes too much time.
I still use summons to kill without death spell in 2 min. Post strategy 2-3 pages back. Much faster and easier. Pre-end game upto lvl 13, even with max char, almost 3 char with max weapons and Fang in sent mode, turtle still stomps me for 4k dam out of max 10k HP.

Farming for TP is easy, 2 min max, have enough for another summon. Equip Energy Sash and kill few packs of wolf / slime (5 -7 sec each time). Thus, about every 5 min I am able to kill a Adamantoise.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
One thing's for sure, I'm really digging the music in this game. The music in the Sunleth Vail, the pseudo-D&B remix of the battle theme, it's all so good. Fits the atmosphere of the game PERFECTLY. I find it awesome how it could have such moving 'sad' pieces, and at the next minute, some funky housey j-pop in the more lighthearted scenes. One of the better FF soundtracks of recent memory, I mean I loved the sweeping orchestral music in FF12 taken on its own, but most of the time it didn't fit the game - you heard all this grandiose music while just running across another bland desert area. D

I post since all of have left to do is 3 more things before i get my Platinum.

I love the battle system for this game , in fact i don't normal care about trophies but it's fun killing stuff and getting 5 stars . I like that it is fast pace and you have so much control over yours characters. I only wish you could change leader in battle but now that i am near max level it don't really mean much .

The game is pretty good looking but all that goes down the drain when see character hands , you would think after square spend so much time on faces they get hands right , because of this i can't put in my Top 5 when come to GFX.

The sound track is good but you really can't hear in the game. The sound mix was done poorly i had to adjust my 5.1 set up . Still the music is okay .

The story well it fall apart near the end, lucky for me the battle system was fun so i did not care .

Now that i finish it i don't mine it being liner but they should have add 3 or 4 places like grand plus threw the game that would have make it much better .
You should have also got full control of all your characters sooner which would have help with the pacing.
There should have been more min games .

All in all it's good game but when comes to FF it's not in my TOP 5 .

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
rataven said:
Just started this last night. Think I'm at the end of chapter 2? Music is gorgeous. Story, not so much. If it wasn't for the datalog, I'd have no idea what was going on.

So does Gil ever get more plentiful? Should I be selling some of the drops I've been getting (aerosols and fangs)? I think I have a character or two who are missing accessories and I don't have enough Gil to just buy them, so I figured I'd sell some stuff. Or is it better to hang on to these tchotchkes?
Definitely hold onto those things. The aerosols are invaluable as strategic items, and the other drops you'll need for upgrading later.

In general, gil is pretty immaterial until you get to Chapter 11. There's little need to spend much, if any, gil before that point. Better to hold onto things, for the most part.

Fakto

Mmmh ... After trying it for half an hour, I think I found the best way to lvl up characters, pre-final boss of course.

I'm at chapt. 12, remember when
there where 2 chest, and after picking one up an Adamantois enters the building and the floor collapses ?
Ok, so, I reload and tried to kill the Adamantois with my group using the infamous technique ... and it worked, with a simple group with only 3.000 HP, lvl 4 in just 3 Crisaliums and it works. 40.000 CP each time you kill it [he respawns when you leave by the gate, and come back].Taking into account that a normal battle at this point only gives you 3000-6000 CPs, it's fantastic. Ah, and at the same time you are farming for traps and bars that you would need post game. Win, Win situation !

The only bad thing, is that normally I'm not killing the Adamantois in the first try, some times it takes up to 3 restarts to kill it. But I think is worth it.

Btw,
I was able to pick both chests since the floor didn't collapse, coz' there was no Adamantois alive ;)

Or ... was this known stuff ? :(

just beat the game! that was a cool ending hehe....

and orphan was easy as hell o_O and the boss right after him..... i used lightning, vanille and hope and beat them with ease

bring on FFXIII-2 :D

orion434

Fakto said:
Mmmh ... After trying it for half an hour, I think I found the best way to lvl up characters, pre-final boss of course.

there where 2 chest, and after picking one up an Adamantois enters the building and the floor collapses ?
Ok, so, I reload and tried to kill the Adamantois with my group using the infamous technique ... and it worked, with a simple group with only 3.000 HP, lvl 4 in just 3 Crisaliums and it works. 40.000 CP each time you kill it [he respawns when you leave by the gate, and come back].Taking into account that a normal battle at this point only gives you 3000-6000 CPs, it's fantastic. Ah, and at the same time you are farming for traps and bars that you would need post game. Win, Win situation !

The only bad thing, is that normally I'm not killing the Adamantois in the first try, some times it takes up to 3 restarts to kill it. But I think is worth it.

Btw,
I was able to pick both chests since the floor didn't collapse, coz' there was no Adamantois alive ;)

This is one of the most popular ways to gain Cp & Gil... maybe not as consistent as farming mission 24, but works well. Also at that location you can get Incentive & Credit Chips by refilling your TP with the Soliders nearby.

careful

Fakto said:

Btw,

Can you go over the infamous technique again for those that didn't follow. Thanks.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
careful said:
Can you go over the infamous technique again for those that didn't follow. Thanks.

I think he means the Death trick.

Cast haste on vanille & have her cast Death non-stop (also have another Saboteur).

rataven said:

So does Gil ever get more plentiful?

NEVER!

The very last chapter of the game is the only place to even get drops that sell for some remotely decent money.

Drame

Just got to chapter 7 and I still have a long way to go till Grand Pulse. I want to choose my party members, pff!

The game has been ok, though. Not that great, but not bad either.

Fakto

careful said:
Sure.

Group: Vanille = Debuffer /// Fang = Debuffer /// Hope = Buffer [I don't know the names in english, but you get it this way, don't you ?]. Just wen the combat starts summon Vanilla's Hecatoncheir, and then spam spell Death untill you kill the Adamantois, or he kills you, if the latter happen, retry. Doesn't normally take more than 3 retrys.

lljride

Fakto said:

I think it's worth it too, although you might want to hold off on doing it too much until you get the growth egg. Looking back I probably could've saved at least 5-10 hours of grinding if I would've stuck with the adamantoises. I spent a couple of hours grinding CP with the behemoth and his buddy (which gives no gil). After that I moved to Mission 24 which is pretty good for CP and gil (12000 CP with growth egg, 6000 gil w/mission reward, 45 secs a piece), but adamantoise are still more efficient in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom