• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cep

Banned
My feelings on CG depends on whether or not I am putting my unfinished English degree to use.

It is okay.

Dresden said:
I, too, like Code Geass.
bloody_princess_euphemia.jpg

Hmmm...

Dresden

WickedLaharl said:
<3 troy baker <3

he is, along with the music, about the only highlights of this game.
If Serah wasn't so awful I'd add in Laura Bailey, but yes. Troy Baker.

Cep said:
My feelings on CG depends on whether or not I am putting my unfinished English degree to use.

It is okay.

CG was so fantastically absurd later on. It was like a giant trainwreck, but a gloriously fabulous trainwreck.

I also think FFXII is one of the best FFs. I'm not sure if its better then my favorite 10 ,but I sure have played it a lot more. I think I have 5 playthroughs of the game. Its a real easy going game.

I remember on my 2nd playthrough of XII, while playing it I went downstairs for something to drink and I fell down the stairs. I cut my foot real bad(thank god CC was over), there was blood everywhere. I then proceeded to call my mother ,who was out, to come and pick me up and then calmly proceeded to go upstairs and continue with FFXII why I waited.

Himuro said:
Anyways, as far as ranking goes, these are my favorites:

8 = 6 = 5 = 12 > 4 > 9 > 7 > 3 > 10 > 1 > 2 > 13

With side games it's like this:

8 = 6= 5= 12 = Tactics > 10-2 > 4 > 9 > 7 > 3 > 10 > 1 > 2 > 13

Worse than 2? Well damn. Guess I can't really talk since my list has 12 last.

Cep

Banned
Himuro said:

If we are doing this:

X-2 > V > Vagrant Story > FFTA2 >Tactics > XII

As far as I am concerned, these are the only games in the series that exist.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Himuro said:

I agree completely with your list! I haven't really given V a fair go yet, though. Your top games and general ranking are the same as mine. Haven't decided about 13 yet...

cosmicblizzard said:
You don't want to know. DON'T WIKI IT!
Too late, already did. I still don't really understand it, but apparently it's part of the "otaku moe phenomenon" so I think I should be insulted, or something.

I have no idea how we got so off-topic and it's probably mostly my fault but Code Geass is pretty bad. Back in the day GAF was like the only place you could find hate for it, though.

Dresden said:
If Serah wasn't so awful I'd add in Laura Bailey, but yes. Troy Baker.
The awfulness of Serah and Snow is pretty deeply interlinked. I don't know how you can separate them, really.

icarus-daedelus said:
Too late, already did. I still don't really understand it, but apparently it's part of the "otaku moe phenomenon" so I think I should be insulted, or something.

I have no idea how we got so off-topic and it's probably mostly my fault but Code Geass is pretty bad. Back in the day GAF was like the only place you could find hate for it, though.

Have you ever seen Ranma? The main bitch (I think her name was Akane) was a tsundere. She gets real pissed off easily but actually cares about the protagonist despite saying "it's not like I did this for you or anything" too damn much.

Cep

Banned
Himuro said:
I think FF13 is a better game than FF2, but FF2 is more...I don't know, risky? More ballsy? I respect ballsy games even if the product isn't ideal. FF13 however, feels too...safe, I guess? I'd probably even say I kinda enjoyed 13 more than 1 and 3 - at times - as well, but 1 and 3 are far better games.

FFTA2? I still haven't played that but what I've read sounds awesome.

It is not a better game than tactics or anything, but I just love the artwork, the sprites, the effects and Smith's translation.

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
No way :lol

You're the first person I've ever seen call 2 his/her favorite. That's something you should be proud of.

I enjoyed the game.

Really did not realize how awful it was until I tried to play it on psp.

Goddamn!

Firestorm

I liked Code Geass before they thought "You know what? We can make more money if we don't end it! Let's take a 3 month break to change the ending so we can extend this another season!"

Dresden

Firestorm said:
I liked Code Geass before they thought "You know what? We can make more money if we don't end it! Let's take a 3 month break to change the ending so we can extend this another season!"
They blamed it on a timeslot change, saying that a lot of the plot had to be altered, but then again, this was the same studio that was churning out Gundam SEED and 00 and all that other shit, so it's hard to trust them.

And I'm sure icarus is just joking about 2. I think. Right?

cosmicblizzard said:
No way :lol

You're the first person I've ever seen call 2 his/her favorite. That's something you should be proud of.
I was joking. I've never seen anything but hate spewed at that game, and most people rank it right at the bottom. I've actually never played it, but I probably will someday because I'm curious to see why people seem so unanimously negative about it. It's on the list, after FF5. And I know absolutely nothing about 3 and remember absolutely nothing about 1.

edit: wow i thought it was kinda obvious i was baiting y'all :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Himuro said:
I enjoyed certain aspects of it, but I didn't manage to beat the game until last year. It was the longest it took me to beat an FF.

And it took that amount of time for me to "get" 12 as well.

But I replayed FF12 prior to FF13 and I think I can safely say it's one of my favorites in the series after that replay.

That said, even back when I wasn't big on 12, I still mostly liked the experience, which isn't something I can say for FF13.

I'm currently replaying it and it's definitely refreshing after playing through XIII 1 1/2 times.

Cynar

Overall

Tactics >= 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 1 > 8 > 13 > 9 = 3 >>>>>>>>> 2 > 11 > 10

I can't fairly put 12 on the list since I haven't played it. YES I HATE 10. :p

I am just putting tactics up there because it was/is amazing. I hate the tactics advance games and well I don't think any other spinoff deserves to be with the mainline games. :lol

entrement said:
1 and 2 are unplayable at this point. I don't know how anyone can rank those above 13.

I just played 1 again last summer, it's just as fun as when it came out.

Cep

Banned
entrement said:
1 and 2 are unplayable at this point. I don't know how anyone can rank those above 13.

2, maybe 3.

But 1 is definitely still viable.

icarus-daedelus said:
I was joking. I've never seen anything but hate spewed at that game, and most people rank it right at the bottom. I've actually never played it, but I probably will someday because I'm curious to see why people seem so unanimously negative about it. It's on the list, after FF5. And I know absolutely nothing about 3 and remember absolutely nothing about 1.

I thought so too.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I seem to be liking it a lot more now. I like the crystalium or whatever its called too. I don't like how the game seems to be holding my hands as if I'm some JRPG novice. I've been playing Square RPGs for over 20 years. I still can't change my team for battle yet.

icarus-daedelus said:

The thing is if it had a normal level up system, it wouldn't be terrible. I would also say the story and characters are boring but the level up system is the main offender.

Dresden

I never did beat FF2. I had the GBA cart with 1 and 2 on it, but I could never rouse up the interest to actually finish it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Agent Icebeezy said:
I seem to be liking it a lot more now. I like the crystalium or whatever its called too. I don't like how the game seems to be holding my hands as if I'm some JRPG novice. I've been playing Square RPGs for over 20 years. I still can't change my team for battle yet.

You won't be able to until about 20 hours in to the game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Rahxephon91 said:
No it really isn't. I wanted to try it out so bad because it looked so crazy and I walked away having more conviction in my hate against Tri Ace. But hey the dress up part was cool.

What is so much better about Final Fantasy XIII? I really would like to know.

entremet

Himuro said:
Well, FF1 has a lot of great fights, great music, and it scratches that exploration itch I adore so much.

FF2, although not being the greatest FF is still a damn huge landmark: the first story based FF (contrary to believe, this was not FF4), radical changes to the level up system and more. It's just an interesting game.
I just feel that most of the game, I'm just pressing ''A''. At least regarding FF1. Although, many people have complained about doing the same thing with X or B on FFXIII.:lol

Cep said:
Perhaps he does not like steam-punk?

Crazy, I know, but these individuals do exist.

I love steam punk and it just seemed dull to me from what I played. I'll probably get it when it's cheaper but I just wasn't feeling the battle system at all.

FWIW, Himu, if you are that bothered by my rankings, other than the obvious troll of putting 2 at the front, 10-2 and Tactics were the only ones I could say I genuinely loved and I don't have particularly strong feelings about any of the rest. Except for 8, but yeah, I don't want to go into that. :lol

Cep said:
Perhaps he does not like steam-punk?

Crazy, I know, but these individuals do exist.
Or monochrome brown!

Hey, didn't we have this conversation before? Then again this whole thread is pretty much on infinite repeat.

entremet

Himuro said:
What version of FF1?

gba or psp?

NES version is arguably the hardest game in the series next to FF4 ds, while the psx version is still quite a hefty challenge.
GBA. I haven't owned a NES in ages.

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
Or monochrome brown!

Hey, didn't we have this conversation before? Then again this whole thread is pretty much on infinite repeat.
Pretty much. I'm just waiting for FTWer to pop in so we can start the whole chain again. It's the wheel of time.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
cosmicblizzard said:
I love steam punk and it just seemed dull to me from what I played. I'll probably get it when it's cheaper but I just wasn't feeling the battle system at all.

Excuse me?

I would play the Final fantasy Ranking game but I like the Matsuno ones so much more than the others that it doesn't really matter. It's like -- Tactics > 12 > Fuck it

Cep

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
FWIW, Himu, if you are that bothered by my rankings, other than the obvious troll of putting 2 at the front, 10-2 and Tactics were the only ones I could say I genuinely loved and I don't have particularly strong feelings about any of the rest. Except for 8, but yeah, I don't want to go into that. :lol

Or monochrome brown!

'Tis the nature of circlejerks.

_tetsuo_ said:
Excuse me?

Hey, he is allowed not to like it.

Dresden said:
Pretty much. I'm just waiting for FTWer to pop in so we can start the whole chain again. It's the wheel of time.
Don't forget ZephyrFate and his FFIX love.

edit: Then again that kind of bleeds into other threads. FTWer is a phenom exclusive to FF13: TOF.

Rpgmonkey

icarus-daedelus said:
They've got separate teams within Tri-Ace, right? Because I can't fathom how VP1 (and even 2) and an apparently solid game such as RoF could come from the Star Ocean/Infinite Undiscovery people.

Outsourcing, rushed products, not particularly great game designers in the company, etc.

Though I'm of the opinion that VP1/2 are great and the SO series was consistently decent-good until 4 ended up being very mediocre, and much of their output after SO3 went to extremes (yes, beyond SO3) and/or killed most of the charm I found in their game design. :p

Kagari said:
You won't be able to until about 20 hours in to the game.

No matter how many times I hear this, I'm still kinda amazed at such a gameplay feature taking so long to unlock.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:

Speaking of which, I still have yet to read the latest.

It is sitting on my desk, just begging to be ridiculed.

_tetsuo_ said:
Excuse me?

I would play the Final fantasy Ranking game but I like the Matsuno ones so much more than the others that it doesn't really matter. It's like -- Tactics > 12 > Fuck it

I fought like 10 battles. It just wasn't doing anything for me. It was like a bad mix of Eternal Sonata and Parasite Eve. The world was interesting and I'd like to know more about it but I'm not going to buy a game at full price if I hate where I spend most of the game.

Dresden

Cep said:
Speaking of which, I still have yet to read the latest.

It is sitting on my desk, just begging to be ridiculed.
He's a much better writer than Jordan, so it shouldn't be too bad. Characters that were intolerable are tolerable, etc, etc.

Egwene is still a little bitch, though.

Dresden said:
He's a much better writer than Jordan, so it shouldn't be too bad. Characters that were intolerable are tolerable, etc, etc.

Can you still skip every third page and follow along just fine?

cosmicblizzard said:
It was like a bad mix of Eternal Sonata and Parasite Eve.
Ooh, I hated Eternal Sonata, but that's the first comparison with that game that I've heard.

_tetsuo_ said:
What is so much better about Final Fantasy XIII? I really would like to know.
I really like FFXIII's battle system. I feel it requires actual thinking ,but yet its really easy to get into. Yet, it also does what I like about XII in that it dosen't require me to do all the stuff I find kind of boring. Now I love FFX and don't mind or dislike controlling healers and casting buffs but its not a fun thing to me. Strangely in FFXI I was a white mage. Anyway, FFXIII allows me to focus on the battle it seems. Its fast and idk just feels fun to me.

RoF just didn't click.

Yes I like the characters in FFXIII a lot. Its the most enjoyable FF cast if you ask me. I also find the story very enjoyable until it falls horribly apart. The stand alone stories of RoF don't appeal to me and I don't know if I like that story structure when it comes to video games.

And I kind of like the linearity of XIII. Yeah its kind of off putting in a way ,but IDK it just ads to the already relaxing rpg experience that FFXIII is. When I play a FF, I play them because I feel like I'm going on a pretty cool adventure. FFXIII still does that.

RoF felt pretty complex and just isn't what I'm looking for in jrpgs right now. What it had to offer didn't seem very good to me. I'll probly buy it if I see it for $20 down the road.

Yeah it kind of plays like Eternal Sonata but its not button mashy, also its not as easy as that game. That was a terrible game.

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
Can you still skip every third page and follow along just fine?
It's Wheel of Time, you can just flip to the last ten pages and you wouldn't miss much.

That said, I really enjoyed the book. Jordan dying was the best thing to happen to the series.

As for skipping pages, just skip anything that says 'Egwene' on it and you'll be fine.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:

He is better, but I read Elantris and Mistborn 1-3.

Mistborn 1 was the only one worth reading, and even then...

The man does know how to set up an arc and general plot structure, but world building/Dialogue/general pacing/characterization are all so mediocre (especially characterization).

Still waiting for Lynch/Martin/Erickson to save me. Mieville too if he ever gets his head out of his ass.

/Off topic

Dresden

Cep said:
He is better, but I read Elantris and Mistborn 1-3.

Mistborn 1 was the only one worth reading, and even then...

The man does know how to set up an arc and general plot structure, but world building/Dialogue/general pacing/characterization are all so mediocre (especially characterization).

Still waiting for Lynch/Martin/Erickson to save me. Mieville too if he ever gets his head out of his ass.

/Off topic
I've never read those, so I can't comment on them. I'll just say that his writing was a marked improvement from Jordan's stuff.

Go check out R. Scott Bakker if you're looking for great fantasy.

/off topic

And to get back on topic, FFXIII, blah blah blah.

oh i understand. sometimes when i play a game i don't feel like putting in any effort either.

looking at it that way i can definitely see why one might love XIII.

Dresden said:
I've never read those, so I can't comment on them. I'll just say that his writing was a marked improvement from Jordan's stuff.

Go check out R. Scott Bakker if you're looking for great fantasy.

/off topic

And to get back on topic, FFXIII, blah blah blah.
I've got R. Scott Bakker novels reserved at the library thanks to your recommendation in the book GAF thread, Dresden. And we've gone so off-topic so many times before in this thread that I figure a mod should've yelled at us by now, or something.

That said, I am glad that FF13 has a color manual, but sad that the inner cover art is of Snow. And that the outer cover art is of Lightning. You know the drill, I'm shallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom