• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
IronFistedChampion said:
WTF... Is there any way I can skip them (21 & 23) and just get #1 over with or do I have to complete these in order to be able to complete #1? I'm even more confused now.

You can do them in any order you want.

You do open up more as you complete the cie'th stones, but they seem to be random on which they open up.
So completing 28 will not necessarily open up mission 29.

Son of Godzilla said:
10 hours in. pls tell me, when does this game get bad like everyone says it is?

Don't you know, you're not supposed to like anything linear & a rollarcoaster of a ride.
Wait until you get to one area with zero story & plot progression with nothing but hunting enemies for the game to be any good.

FTWer said:

You do open up more as you complete the cie'th stones, but they seem to be random on which they open up.
So it's not necessarily that completing 28 will open up 29.
That's not what I'm getting at though. I was asking that if it's necessary for me to complete the missions inside the tower in order to be able to proceed and complete mission #1.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
IronFistedChampion said:
That's not what I'm getting at though. I was asking that if it's necessary for me to complete the missions inside the tower in order to be able to proceed and complete mission #1.

Yeah, they are mandatory to progress through the tower.

You could still backtrack all the way back if you want to do mission 1 first.... & then go back to the tower.

FTWer said:
Yeah, they are mandatory to progress through the tower.

You could still backtrack all the way back if you want to do mission 1 first.... & then go back to the tower.
Uhh...wait a second. Mission #1 is my current objective, what do I have to backtrack for? I thought getting through the tower was part of mission #1?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
FTWer said:

So completing 28 will not necessarily open up mission 29.

Don't you know, you're not supposed to like anything linear & a rollarcoaster of a ride.
Wait until you get to one area with zero story & plot progression with nothing but hunting enemies for the game to be any good.

What game are you talking about?

Zoe

IronFistedChampion said:
Uhh...wait a second. Mission #1 is my current objective, what do I have to backtrack for? I thought getting through the tower was part of mission #1?

Forget about #1. You're way too far from it. Accept the first tower mission and move on with the game.

Zoe said:
Forget about #1. You're way too far from it. Accept the first tower mission and move on with the game.
Oh shit. I didn't mean to get too far ahead. I thought I was simply doing mission 1 and as soon as I was done with it, I'd proceed to 2, but the 'Mission Completed' screen never popped up, so I figured I wasn't done yet which is why I kept going wherever the game took me.

I haven't even upgraded my damn weapons yet and now I'm suck in this damn tower. This sucks.

FU Squeenix. :/

Edit: Just tried to backtrack and it's impossible because when you board Atomos to go back he takes you to a different place. *Sigh* Time to take a break from this game again.

almost done i think...

when i first started playing i really thought that there would be some payoff storywise at the end, i was expecting HUGE revelations during chapter 11 something like how fal'cie were just misunderstood and weren't hateful slave makers, ya know, anything to paint them in a more positive light.

that along with how the game opts out of giving the player useful information about the world that was created are two things that really piss me off. they created a datalog why not fill it with all kinds of information about gran pulse.

oh and i'll never get over how neither fang or vanille really wondered or cared about what happened to everyone else on pulse.

SIGH. i just need to get over these issues, beat the game, and then move onto something better.

i guess i'm just super bitter because i poured a lot of cash into this one fucking game that turned around and kicked me in the nuts.

Firestorm

Son of Godzilla said:
10 hours in. pls tell me, when does this game get bad like everyone says it is?
It sucks until Chapter 2. Then it sucks starting at Chapter 10. You would think it gets better at Chapter 10 considering you finally get to pick your party members and have a full team of 3 but nope.

Anyway, was a lot less frustrated today in Chapter 11, but
What the hell was Mission 6 all about? There were cutscenes and stuff but no dialog and I have no idea what was going on.
. Also, what should I be grinding on?

BeeDog

Jesus christ, how long is the last chapter?
I've restructured the area two times I think, and every enemy encounter is a drag. Not hard, just fucking long since you need to buff/debuff and so on. Wouldn't be so annoying IF YOU HAD SPACE TO CIRCUMVENT THE FUCKING FIGHTS.

Amir0x

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
i guess i'm just super bitter because i poured a lot of cash into this one fucking game that turned around and kicked me in the nuts.

Do like I do, enjoy the colorful back and forth in the thread about the game and you won't feel so much regret about the purchase! :D

It's the usual final gauntlet before the final battle. It's become a thing with FF games lately where they throw an area full of long battles at you so you think the boss is gonna be super awesomely hard but you find that it's disappointingly easy in comparison.

Squishy

Okay, I've had enough of this game. I've been spending the last 20 hours doing missions (the vast majority of which are just regular enemies OR an enemy from a previous mission but there's now two of them (or in some cases it's exactly the same enemy twice)), interlaced with mindless repetive grinding so that I can do more missions. I am yet again (this has happened several times before) at a point where the rest of the missions are way above my level, so I have to keep grinding on really weak enemies which I fought long before I finished the game, which is apparently one of the best ways to farm CP. What the hell Square Enix? Why aren't there any reasonably tough enemies post-game which I can fight? There just seems to be either really easy enemies which give pathetic CP, then a huge leap in difficulty with Adamantoises (which I can now finally kill, but only with the extremely tedious endless death spam method) and the later missions. I don't even know why I'm bothering to do this at all, I've already done everything the game has to offer apart from a few missions, getting all weapons and accessories and maxing out the Crystarium (which brings me to my next point).

Okay, so I've maxed out all the primary roles. The last circle or whatever for each role ate up a ton of CP, but at least it improved HP greatly. Now, all I have left to do is max out the secondary roles. But what the hell? Each nodule (for lack of the correct word) chomps up a massive amount of CP, but gives me something like a measly 50HP or +4 strength. What the hell is that going to do when I have 2000 strength and 22000HP? It would be so much more enticing if each nodule cost an insane amount of CP, but actually gave a decent reward, like a massive HP or STR/MAG boost or a cool new ability. Isn't that what is supposed to happen?
There is absolutely no sense of accomplishment, reward or growth in this system. The same could be said of the rest of the game; it feels so souless, so lifeless. It's like a linear Oblivion.

There is so much more that could be said, but I think that's enough for now.

Zzoram

IronFistedChampion said:
Oh shit. I didn't mean to get too far ahead. I thought I was simply doing mission 1 and as soon as I was done with it, I'd proceed to 2, but the 'Mission Completed' screen never popped up, so I figured I wasn't done yet which is why I kept going wherever the game took me.

I haven't even upgraded my damn weapons yet and now I'm suck in this damn tower. This sucks.

FU Squeenix. :/

Edit: Just tried to backtrack and it's impossible because when you board Atomos to go back he takes you to a different place. *Sigh* Time to take a break from this game again.

You kinda got screwed. Some of the missions unlock teleport points (4, 8, 9, 17, 18, 19, 28, and 31 unlock teleports) and 14 unlocks chocobos. Without any teleport points, I wonder how much of a pain it will be for you to do Pulse post-game. Can you even go back to all of Pulse if you don't have any teleport points unlocked?

When you get a mission, the objective is on the big map as a pink star. You must've just been constantly following the yellow arrow on your minimap or yellow exclaimation circle on your big map, that's the main quest cutscene path, not missions.

Thrakier

Amir0x said:
Do like I do, enjoy the colorful back and forth in the thread about the game and you won't feel so much regret about the purchase! :D

I'll sell ist as soon as possible...problem is, I have somehow to get through the last reamining chapters however. Story get's more complicated and weird with every cutscene passing by. All that Fal'Cie crap...even the names are complicated! "Let's make our story so omplex and dumb as possible. Let's try to get away from some basic emotions as far as possible!! ALIEN POLITICS!!!!"...oh man. FFX Story was 10times better (and that doesn't mean it was great, but the basic setup with
Yuna going into her death willingly while Tidus falls in love with her
is kinda stereotype, but it worked for me. Lighting is a great character in theory, but in the game she's just...boring. Without character besides "I don't smile".

leng jai

Zzoram said:
You kinda got screwed. Some of the missions unlock teleport points (4, 8, 9, 17, 18, 19, 28, and 31 unlock teleports) and 14 unlocks chocobos. Without any teleport points, I wonder how much of a pain it will be for you to do Pulse post-game. Can you even go back to all of Pulse if you don't have any teleport points unlocked?

When you get a mission, the objective is on the big map as a pink star. You must've just been constantly following the yellow arrow on your minimap or yellow exclaimation circle on your big map, that's the main quest cutscene path, not missions.

I'm trying to to end game stuff now and I've only got two teleport points open. What kind of shitty system is this?

Hmmm...fuck

Amir0x said:
But that's false though. In FFXII, I have the option of participating in every part of battle... both in and out of it. In FFXIII, I simply don't. The game has no options to do this.

FFXII is slower, true, but I'd take a more methodical battle system to a speedy, detached one where I feel like I basically do nothing to change the outcome of battles but stare glazed-eyed as the mediocre A.I. does its thing.
No one is denying that FFXII offers more freedom. But the option of participation during battle is limited because of it's own ineffectiveness. This is not the case with FFXIII. Real time participation during combat is at the core of combat and not an just a bad option. Likewise, setting up gambit wouldn't fit in that system because it would break the flow of combat. With other words, it would be a bad option as well. I'm not using this as an excuse because the lack of control undeniably is an inherent flaw, just as much as participation (optional of not) is an inherent flaw in FFXII's battle system.

However, this doesn't mean both system are broken and should be changed. What people fail to realise in this story is that more control or participation does NOT equal a better combat system. I'm 100% convinced that both system's greatest strengths are because of it's greatest flaws. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice one element to make another element shine. In the case of FFXIII, the egg named control was broken to make an entertaining action system omelet.
When a system tries to compromise to allow too many different play styles to please everyone, it usually falls apart. This was my biggest complaint about Dragon Age. It had pauzed realtime combat with a limited number of slots for macro's. But the overall system didn't feel solid enough to appreciate it.
FFXIII's system does suck if you wanted absolute control as much as FFXII's system sucked for people who were looking for participation and action. But if you look beyond that, both systems are solid.

Overall, I still place FFXII above FFXIII. But not because of the combat system but the other features the game has (art design, SD towns, exploration).

Again, the whole idea that the regular battles are closer to bosses just doesn't jive with any of my experiences. I think people must be pretty bad at FFXIII if they are having problems. All one must do is auto battle with two paradigms, and occasionally mix in a third one for the odd bugger who has a strong attack. For all regular battles this is all that is necessary for 5 star rewards and under a minute victories.
The necessity of switching paradigms to win regular fights is an improvement compared to previous FF games were you weren't required to think but to keep pressing the X-button and then use one or two cure spells after battle. No?

Because you're choosing not to look.
And maybe you're choosing to blow up minor details because trolling popular games is a second hobby of yours. But I don't go there either because it leads to a poor discussion. :)
The healer AI works in such way that it will prioritize healing over esuna when a certain HP stresshold (70%) is reached. This sounds logic and I wouldn't want it any other way for the sake of more efficiënt post-game grinding. I only have a few more hunts to do and I still haven't encountered these 'infuriating' individual AI issues.

krakov

Even if you skipped all the missions you can still get back to Valis Media postgame, which is pretty much where Gran Pulse started. So just take it from the beginning and start unlocking teleports/missions.

Amir0x

Banned
M°°nblade said:
No one is denying that FFXII offers more freedom. But the option of participation during battle is limited because of it's own ineffectiveness. This is not the case with FFXIII. Real time participation during combat is at the core of combat and not an just a bad option. Likewise, setting up gambit wouldn't fit in that system because it would break the flow of combat. With other words, it would be a bad option as well. I'm not using this as an excuse because the lack of control undeniably is an inherent flaw, just as much as participation (optional of not) is an inherent flaw in FFXII's battle system.

Describe in detail how it would break the 'flow' of the game, if possible. For one, all the gambits would be doing is replacing the mediocre A.I. the game already has. In other words, you still wouldn't control your teammates in battle... so they'd be going as fast as they always went. Additionally, for the lazy, you could still keep a set of predefined "gambit routines" which help the casual get through the game without any thought.

Nothing would change in the "flow." All that would change is your teammates would be doing exactly what YOU want when YOU want it, instead of the frequent mistakes they make in the current form.

Just for elaboration, this is how it'd work.

You'd still have a set of predefined gambit routines. Ravager, Commander, etc. However, when the PLAYER decides that the A.I. is not specific enough for certain battles, users would not have the ability to access a gambit menu which allows them to custom build a A.I. routine. In battle, the speed would not change at all - indeed, you'd be able to switch to your new gambit routine the same way you do now.

You could go RAV -> COM -> CUSTOM -> MED -> CUSTOM

It would just add the element of personalization that the game is so sorely lacking, while keeping the speed and intensity the system already has.

There is nothing in my thought that would break the flow.

M°°nblade said:
However, this doesn't mean both system are broken and should be changed. What people fail to realise in this story is that more control or participation does NOT equal a better combat system.

They probably fail to realize that because it's not true. More participation DOES equal better. This is a game, not a movie. I demand control of the levels of play.

M°°nblade said:
I'm 100% convinced that both system's greatest strengths are because of it's greatest flaws. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice one element to make another element shine. In the case of FFXIII, the egg named control was broken to make an entertaining action system omelet.
When a system tries to compromise to allow too many different play styles to please everyone, it usually falls apart. This was my biggest complaint about Dragon Age. It had pauzed realtime combat with a limited number of slots for macro's. But the overall system didn't feel solid enough to appreciate it.
FFXIII's system does suck if you wanted absolute control as much as FFXII's system sucked for people who were looking for participation and action. But if you look beyond that, both systems are solid.

That's just a lack of vision. You can indeed please more people by doing what I said. In my system, you could play it the same way you play FFXIII now - never fiddling with the A.I. at all and just relying on your preset gambits (Com/Rav/Sab/Med/etc). But now gamers would have the OPTION of implementing their own custom paradigms, which would please those who get frustrated on one of the many occasions the game's mediocre A.I. does the wrong thing.

M°°nblade said:
And maybe you're choosing to blow up minor details because trolling popular games is a second hobby of yours. But I don't go there either because it leads to a poor discussion. :)
The healer AI works in such way that it will prioritize healing over esuna when a certain HP stresshold (70%) is reached. This sounds logic and I wouldn't want it any other way for the sake of more efficiënt post-game grinding. I only have a few more hunts to do and I still haven't encountered these 'infuriating' individual AI issues.

I'm not going to bother discussing again the fact that people don't understand what the word "troll" means. I have extensively and exhaustively detailed every last issue I have with the game, down to specific aspects of the combat and A.I. failures. I even filmed some of it. Don't degrade the conversation in this thread by going down that route.

The ultimate point is that the way I would improve FFXIII would have zero impact on the game if you still wanted it to play just like it did now. It would just open an option for gamers who don't like having their hand held like fucking retarded babies to impact the A.I. on a fundamental level.

BeeDog

Chapter 13 is the lamest part in the entire game. Whose genius idea was it to pit the player against waves of insanely boring spongey enemies that take ages to defeat? Wladislaus has to be the worst fucking enemy type to grace a game ever.

And I'm still not even close to finishing the chapter :( just got past the first Wladislaus enemy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BeeDog said:
Chapter 13 is the lamest part in the entire game. Whose genius idea was it to pit the player against waves of insanely boring spongey enemies that take ages to defeat? Wladislaus has to be the worst fucking enemy type to grace a game ever.

And I'm still not even close to finishing the chapter :( just got past the first Wladislaus enemy.

This is where you blow a few Deceptisols and just rush to the end game.

BeeDog

firehawk12 said:
This is where you blow a few Deceptisols and just rush to the end game.

I got to the part where there's a big staircase to the right, and a secret elevator to the left. I took the elevator to the left, snuck past the Wladislaus there and saw the 3 Templars when I said "fuck it" and shut off my PS3 in disgust. Is there anything of value when taking the long route?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I believe there are some items... and it might be worth getting them if you plan on playing the game after you finish it because you can't return to this area again. If you don't care, you might as well skip them.

BeeDog

firehawk12 said:
I believe there are some items... and it might be worth getting them if you plan on playing the game after you finish it because you can't return to this area again. If you don't care, you might as well skip them.

Just checked GameFAQs (forgot about that site :lol ), and if one follows that path you only get 8000 gil. Who the hell balanced this game? :lol Thanks for replying either way!

As much as I'd like more control over my allies in this game, I get the feeling S-E didn't see it as a priority. They were afraid of confusing/annoying players with the real time combat system as it is.

hamchan

Well finished it, took me 40 hours. What a beautiful confusing ending.

Weird how the party destroyed Orphan even knowing the consequences and having no backup plan. They sure got lucky Vanille and Fang did what they did.

Also easiest last boss ever?

Now I now why people want FFXIII-2. The world seems really detailed yet the story is so damn simple. Probably the simplest FF story since FFIII. I was really surprised by how short it was since I heard that it was quite long. One of the shortest FFs I'd say. There's so much potential awesomeness in the world and plot that was left untapped that I support the idea of an FFXIII-2 so that we don't waste this potential. Done right of course.

8/10 sounds about right. Awesome battle system, music, character development and graphics. Bad level design, a story that doesn't go into much depth and a lack of variety in things to do bring this down. I'm really surprised the only sidequests to do were monster hunts :( I guess i'll go do them now...

hamchan

Shadow780 said:
Regardless of story quality, amazing CG, well worth the money.

NOW BRING VERSUS!

I would trade the amazing CG in a heartbeat for a more complex and deep story. What a waste of a great world if they don't make FFXIII-2.

Shadow780

hamchan said:
I would trade the amazing CG in a heartbeat for a more complex and deep story. What a waste of a great world if they don't make FFXIII-2.

It didn't bother me as others make out to be. Plus awesome CGIs and the battle system, tons of cutscenes, I liked it.

protonion

Finished it, thank God. I will never touch it again in my life.
40 hours (2 of them grinding). The last boss was a joke. Stupid ending, stupid story, stupid everything.

Tip: com/rav/rav, sen/med/med, sab/sab/syn. Didn't use anything else,murdered everyone in the main game.

FFXIII was a non-event for me. In a few days I doubt I will remember a single thing about it.

Square hear me! Make a traditional jRPG like the old days. If you have problems with HD towns or whatever, return to pre-rendered backgrounds. FF fans won't mind.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, gameplay question for you guys.

Ok, my Crystalium just expanded a shit ton. Like, to level 4. I just beat....

Cid Reines.....................................

Ok, all 3 of my characters have 13k CP to spend. Now, do I focus on one role from now on, or try to split the CP between the 3 roles? I just spent 13k on one role, and I barely unlocked anything so I didnt save. Just wondering what the best course of action is. Commando has an extra ATB which looks mighty tempting.

couple of questions:

1. can you go back to
Edenhall
after beating the game? i found it a good place to grind.. enemies drop very good items and the fights are easy and fast.. i'm tempted to finish the main story now and if the area is locked out in post-game i will be pissed. or should i maybe grind somewhere else?

2. where and how do you get the Genji gloves everyone seems to love? i haven't seen them yet and i completed Chapter 12. post-game material? dropped by A-level hunts that i just cant seem to be able to kill..? :(

3. there's a trophy for doing over 100,000 dmg in one attack, but to me it seems like dmg is capped at 99,999.... so how can you go over it? i dont understand.

please help me, i've reached a point of frustration with some aspects of the game even though i love it :(

BeeDog

Mikey Jr. said:

Ok, all 3 of my characters have 13k CP to spend. Now, do I focus on one role from now on, or try to split the CP between the 3 roles? I just spent 13k on one role, and I barely unlocked anything so I didnt save. Just wondering what the best course of action is. Commando has an extra ATB which looks mighty tempting.

Fill each role one at a time (preferrably focus on the main role for that particular character); you'll still get enough CP to max them all as you go on.

Shadow780

Mikey Jr. said:

You should go for ATB expansion and extra Accessories abilities first.

The rest depends on who are you using.

Amir0x

Banned
maybe you should go out to kill time instead.

play in some puddles of mud. look under rocks for salamanders. that kind of thing.

Mikey Jr.

Ok, thanks guys. Yeah, using Light as Rav, Vanille as Rav, and Fang as Com. Although Light switches between Rav and Com frequently.

Also, one more question. When I switch paradigms, sometimes its really quick, and sometimes it shows the animation of each of them switching. Why is there a difference like this sometimes?

Amir0x

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Outside is overrated.

(I'm actually playing Frisbee right now)

Frisbee is rad. I am not good at it though.

Right now I am trying to learn how to throw a boomerang and successful have it come back to me. I've seen people who can do it in real life all the time. I envy them.

Kagari said:
Play something more awesome, like FFXII... which is what I'm doing!
After 5 playthroughs of XII, I think I'm going to let that game rest for awhile. Actually, I have DQVIII around here and after watching my niece play it, I think maybe I'll give it a shot.

hamchan

Rahxephon91 said:
I really feel like playing this for a 3rd time. Just to kill time till May 18th.

Good god I can't imagine playing this game a second time, let alone a third. Go buy and play a different game!

Mikey Jr. said:
Ok, thanks guys. Yeah, using Light as Rav, Vanille as Rav, and Fang as Com. Although Light switches between Rav and Com frequently.

Also, one more question. When I switch paradigms, sometimes its really quick, and sometimes it shows the animation of each of them switching. Why is there a difference like this sometimes?

The first time you change it will show the animation. After that it will be an instant change with no animation.

GRRR!!!!!!!

I'm at the end of Oerba... fighting what i assume is the boss for the chapter... i killed the tower falcie on the second go, but this boss is kicking my ass.

all my characters are at level 4 in three classes.... so don't think i'm under leveled...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom