• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cep

Banned
Cannot say I really like any of the final Boss designs in the series.

Would have liked Jecht had he stayed in human form...

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
-COOLIO- said:
so, lets see, im gunna throw a review in the bag too.

i bassically played this game with the intent to rush through it as quickly as possible and only go so far as a single playthrough. so the linearity was actually kind of ideal. the graphics were amazing, the battle music never got old, the cheese was thick but characters like sazh and some actually poignant lines here and there made things worth listening too. to me, finaly fantasy truly works on this tier of graphics, it's an experience just standing around rotating the camera a lot of the time.

and the battle system, though boring for the first 10 hours or so, felt pretty cool by the end of game.

as a fan of x, i was pleasantly surprised.

This is pretty much my review. :lol Except I loved the battle system right away and racked up 90 hrs before taking a whack at the final boss. I couldn't agree more with your graphics comments. The detail and love put into every art asset and environment create such a satisfying level of immersion.

I love the world and characters Square created here. They really should be proud of XIII and ignore the vitriol and whining. Bring on XIII-2!

Yeah, human form Jecht would've been fun to fight. The way I see it, the natural progression of the final boss forms should be human -> obscure monster 1 -> obscure monster 2. I'd have no problem with more final bosses just staying human but I think that method works the best.

Dresden

800px-NautilusParty.png

Snow is reaching Bayonetta-level of impossible proportions here.

I don't like any of the wallpapers. They all look so ugly and cluttered to me.

Whats the best long gui hunting strategy. Does the death -> commando trick really only work when she has 3000 magic because it will require a shit ton of grinding to get her magic just to that level with items and shit : (

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
miladesn said:
I can't see how they can make a worse game anyway, it's definitely going to be the better game.

Ugh. The hyperbole never ends. Yeah, XIII is so bad - so fundamentally flawed and boring that any effort will best it.

Has the whole internet gone mad? If only most games were this "bad". I'd be pretty happy.

I just noticed something funny. Its probably already been mentioned somewhere in the thread. But anyway, I noticed that if you twirl the left analog stick clockwise repeatedly your character will get pissed off and do a little emote animation. Counter-clockwise also does a different one. Each character has their own unique ones as well. Its like the characters are telling you to stop twirling them around an idiot.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
140.85 said:
Ugh. The hyperbole never ends. Yeah, XIII is so bad - so fundamentally flawed and boring that any effort will best it.

Has the whole internet gone mad? If only most games were this "bad". I'd be pretty happy.

Nah, just trolls with nothing better to do.

No way in hell are people playing a game they hate with a vehement passion for 60+ hours.
They liked it & they know it! It's just that it didn't live up to the expectations they specifically had in mind for the game & act like it's the end of the World.

Roxas

GrumpyAlien said:
I just noticed something funny. Its probably already been mentioned somewhere in the thread. But anyway, I noticed that if you twirl the left analog stick clockwise repeatedly your character will get pissed off and do a little emote animation. Counter-clockwise also does a different one. Each character has their own unique ones as well. Its like the characters are telling you to stop twirling them around an idiot.
I think this is one for the mind blown thread, I had no idea :lol

GrumpyAlien said:
holy shit

GrumpyAlien said:

Yeah someone mentioned it earlier like 90 pages back. Still a cool discovery.

Cep

Banned
FTWer said:

No way in hell are people playing a game they hate with a vehement passion for 60+ hours.
They liked it & they know it! It's just that it didn't live up to the expectations they specifically had in mind for the game & act like it's the end of the World.

You should probably learn the meaning of this word. Voicing dissent != trolling.

Also, I would like for you to meet my friend cosmic.

Ask him how long he played FF12 for.

Pooya

GrumpyAlien said:
yeah, I tried it with every character a few weeks back, it's pretty funny.

SquallASF said:
Thanks, guess I'll stick to what I'm doing (Eden turtle with both catalogs on). I only did a handful or so and got ingots most of them. Hopefully I'll get lucky and receive some traps next time.

Are you going to try to get all the achievements/trophies? or just want to make sure you're strong enough to beat the game?
I actually found that you get far too many traps for the number of ingots you need. Unfortunately I'm to the point where I throw away traps and just keep the ingots. Personally I'd recommend not using the connoisseur catalog, I did for a while and I'd rather have had the ingot drops lol.

FTWer said:

Cep is right. It is entirely possible to play a game you hate for multiple hours. People still haven't come close to my 100+ hour playthrough of FF12, a game I didn't care for at all.

As I've said before, people are more lenient with series that they love. For all those FF fanatics out there, this could be a first offense, something they are willing to forgive while hoping things get better. Unfortunately for a lot of them, the game never got better and they were left with a bad taste in their mouth.

Forcing yourself to play a game isn't new at all. If something is consistently good for 11-12 entries, of course you would expect the recent one to be good as well.

Dresden

I'm pretty sure my experience of playing FFVIII without knowing how Junction worked till I got to Bahamut in disc 3 (I kept getting one shotted by the ruby dragon's aoe and my GF's couldn't cover enough damage, so I ended up asking for help... only to realize that I could boost my hp by junctioning. Oh, god.) tops them all. Most painful crawl of all time.

I was like in middle school at the time, so fifty bucks was a huge investment!

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Cep is right. It is entirely possible to play a game you hate for multiple hours. People still haven't come close to my 100+ hour playthrough of FF12, a game I didn't care for at all.

As I've said before, people are more lenient with series that they love. For all those FF fanatics out there, this could be a first offense, something they are willing to forgive while hoping things get better. Unfortunately for a lot of them, the game never got better and they were left with a bad taste in their mouth.

Forcing yourself to play a game isn't new at all. If something is consistently good for 11-12 entries, of course you would expect the recent one to be good as well.

Could not have said it any better.

comedian

Finished the game earlier last week, rather easily. I have absolutely no idea how the upgrade system works. I loved the graphics, battle mechanics and graphics, I disliked (more like hate but I don't want to be too negative) the story and characters. I mean I finished the game and I couldn't care less about anyone. The story is just as linear as the game, you have one bad guy and his motivation are one dimensional. The more I think about it, the more I really hated the story.

Thrakier

Lince said:
hurry up and finish the game already Seph, it's clear you're not enjoying it at all :p

Yeah true, all the time when I'm playing FFXIII I can't stop thinking about replaying God of War 3 and how awesome FFVII was. Fuck'cie.

For some fucked up reason I had to go back to pulse though to try to get rid of that huge ass robot in that cave who killed me before. It was a revenge thing I guess. However, he killed me again with his stupid cannon shot. Ass.

Arjen

Thrakier said:
For some fucked up reason I had to go back to pulse though to try to get rid of that huge ass robot in that cave who killed me before. It was a revenge thing I guess. However, he killed me again with his stupid cannon shot. Ass.

That was the First thing i did to when i was back on Pulse. :lol
Glorious it was when i launched his ass into the air.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm at
Barthandelus
, it's only the second fight in the game that has given me any challenge (the first being Odin). I've died twice, any tips?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Dresden said:
I'm pretty sure my experience of playing FFVIII without knowing how Junction worked till I got to Bahamut in disc 3 (I kept getting one shotted by the ruby dragon's aoe and my GF's couldn't cover enough damage, so I ended up asking for help... only to realize that I could boost my hp by junctioning. Oh, god.) tops them all. Most painful crawl of all time.

Ha!.... I got till Lunatic Pandora without knowing either how Junctioning or Drawing worked... and got stuck... I know... I know... :(...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
I'm at
Barthandelus
, it's only the second fight in the game that has given me any challenge (the first being Odin). I've died twice, any tips?
go ALL OUT when he starts charging his beam. attack him enough and his charge beam will do way less damage.

spidye

I beat the end boss last night. this was the easiest end boss I've ever seen in a ff. I remember in ff7 sephiroth kept wiping the floor with my party. I was not even once in danger of dying. he had this attack which made heavy damage but nothing hope couldn't fix.
I had a much harder time with hope's eidolon. that thing killed me at least 4 or 5 times.

Dresden said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't figure out how the fuck junctioning worked. It took me ages, and even now, I'm not entirely sure that I was ever doing it properly. :lol

Yeah, definitely not a fan of FFVIII. I hated the drawing and junctioning systems. What a pain in the ass.

Choopy

Neo Member
Will completing mission 63 unlock those Long gui?
Or do you have to do the Titan Trials stuff first for that to happen?

I just want the Genji Glove.

You know why we really need Dissidia II? So we can see Lightning (and hopefully, company) fight some decent villains, and not the underused poor excuses for antagonists they faced in their game.

Choopy said:

Just got my Genji Glove last night! Didn't have a chance to take it for a test drive though. Anyhow, I'd just go through the Titan Trials to get your first one. All of the marks are in very close proximity to one another, and it shouldn't take long to plow through. They are also surprisingly easy as long as you have your 3 main roles maxed out for each character.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Choopy said:

No, only completing all the circle trials on the plains will unlock the Long Gui.

Choopy

Neo Member
RedNumberFive said:
Just got my Genji Glove last night! Didn't have a chance to take it for a test drive though. Anyhow, I'd just go through the Titan Trials to get your first one. All of the marks are in very close proximity to one another, and it shouldn't take long to plow through. They are also surprisingly easy as long as you have your 3 main roles maxed out for each character.

Interesting. So are adamantoise running around for you still?

firehawk12 said:
No, only completing all the circle trials on the plains will unlock the Long Gui.

Awesome, thanks. I think I can carry on with the Trials.
You're always the one answering my questions. Appreciate it, dude! :lol

neoism

This game is the best in the series....
(actually it's tied with 12) best graphics, characters, and story... FF12's battle system is still my favorite but this game has the funnest bs I've ever played:D :D :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Choopy said:
Awesome, thanks. I think I can carry on with the Trials.
You're always the one answering my questions. Appreciate it, dude! :lol

No worries. It's funny because I can't answer any of the boss fight questions because it's been too long, but when you spend 20-30 hours grinding Pulse and doing missions? I can pretty much answer any post-game questions. :lol

It also helps that I had the exact same concerns as you a while ago, since I wanted to get the glove for turtle farming. :)

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, question. Ok, havent beat the game yet, but all 3 of my characters have maxed out their 3 roles. I was going to start on others, but the CP cost is FUCKING INSANE. To get 10+ hp, its like 3000cp.

Do I even bother with that shit, or do I just hold onto the CP for level 5? I just beat that tower.

Duracelllll said:
I actually found that you get far too many traps for the number of ingots you need. Unfortunately I'm to the point where I throw away traps and just keep the ingots. Personally I'd recommend not using the connoisseur catalog, I did for a while and I'd rather have had the ingot drops lol.

No way, I need traps! I've been getting tons of ingots. Almost every fight is an ingot though I've had I think two patches of nothing for multiple fights. I FINALLY recieved two traps last night but still need four more :( I'm tempted to use the dismantle technique. You don't really need tons of money for the achievement anyway, just create another save and then create all the accessories you're missing, sell them all, and use th money to upgrade weapons. Achievement get and then reload save. I've heard this works well. It's going to be a lot more annoying farming these guys after my crystarium is maxed, almost finished with 5th class...

Mikey Jr. said:
Hey guys, question. Ok, havent beat the game yet, but all 3 of my characters have maxed out their 3 roles. I was going to start on others, but the CP cost is FUCKING INSANE. To get 10+ hp, its like 3000cp.

Do I even bother with that shit, or do I just hold onto the CP for level 5? I just beat that tower.

No, just save it for maxing your three roles. You can worry about those other roles in the post game after you completely max out the three mains if you're going to do all the missions or go for achievements.

Mikey Jr. said:

Hold off. You shouldn't even touch the other roles until the post game.

StuBurns

Banned
Rez said:
go ALL OUT when he starts charging his beam. attack him enough and his charge beam will do way less damage.
Thanks, unfortunately I died again, I'm not taking out the side bits quick enough I think. I wish I had a shroud or two so I could go in with a bit of a boost.

What's the deal with shrouds? I've had like ten the whole game, they're all gone, I can't seem to find them anywhere, I can't buy them, I wish I hadn't used them.

Dresden said:

Haha, I think I had this exact same experience. I felt so stupid when I finally realized how it worked.

Shadow780

StuBurns said:
Thanks, unfortunately I died again, I'm not taking out the side bits quick enough I think. I wish I had a shroud or two so I could go in with a bit of a boost.

What's the deal with shrouds? I've had like ten the whole game, they're all gone, I can't seem to find them anywhere, I can't buy them, I wish I hadn't used them.

You can buy them
when you unlock Eden Pharmacy in the last chapter

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:

You should have held onto those :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom