• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
StuBurns said:
Thanks, unfortunately I died again, I'm not taking out the side bits quick enough I think. I wish I had a shroud or two so I could go in with a bit of a boost.

What's the deal with shrouds? I've had like ten the whole game, they're all gone, I can't seem to find them anywhere, I can't buy them, I wish I hadn't used them.

I died three times on that boss. When I finally won I had Fang - Lightning - Hope, start out with Sen - Com - Med, I maxed Lightning's Gladius, destroyed the sides with blitz. Then just bashed it when it charged up, switched to sen - med - med when needed. Then again it took forever and I got no stars :lol, but I'm fine with that.

Just finished the game for the first time. I'm really mixed about it. I love the battle system, the end bosses seemed pretty easy, with my 3 jobs maxed out for each character. I like it but nowhere near as much as I've liked previous FF games I think. Hopefully Versus is as close to the predecessors as Nomura has said.

In the past I've always wanted to do everything. This time I don't. I wonder if that's because this is the first FF game that I've bought/played while having a real person job or if it's just because I see no reason besides grinding for another 50 hours for a platinum trophy :lol

StuBurns

Banned
Shadow780 said:
You can buy them
when you unlock Eden Pharmacy in the last chapter

That really sucks.

Kagari said:
You should have held onto those :eek:

Is there any way to get more before the end? Are they in the floating globes?

TheBranca18 said:
I died three times on that boss. When I finally won I had Fang - Lightning - Hope, start out with Sen - Com - Med, I maxed Lightning's Gladius, destroyed the sides with blitz. Then just bashed it when it charged up, switched to sen - med - med when needed. Then again it took forever and I got no stars :lol, but I'm fine with that.

That's pretty close to what I tried last time, I'll give it another go, and just hope for the best.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
That really sucks.

Is there any way to get more before the end? Are they in the floating globes?

That's pretty close to what I tried last time, I'll give it another go, and just hope for the best.

Sometimes they're in chests, but you can't buy them until chapter 13.

damnit. i somehow managed to make the Long Guis appear... am i screwed? only farmed 3 Traps and 5 Platinum Ingots from the regular turtles... i dont think i can kill those damn Guis, the weaker ones one-shot my whole team............. and thats after me grinding for days and days to make my weapons and accessories better. just horrible. maybe now its the time to go finish the last chapter and go into post-game? will the Guis be manageable with a maxed out crystarium..?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You can get ten of the deception shrouds for doing the robot quest in Oerba at the end of chapter 11, I believe. Hoard those for the final two chapters, I figure.

I'm really ready for some Versus XIII information. I'm really surprised we haven't heard a word yet with so much time passing since the XIII release in Japan. E3, I guess...

StuBurns

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
I'm really ready for some Versus XIII information. I'm really surprised we haven't heard a word yet with so much time passing since the XIII release in Japan. E3, I guess...
If it's still exclusive I really hope to see it at Sony's press conference at E3, if not, it'll probably be in those secret mega theatres and we won't see shit.

I do remember Nomura saying they're not sure they'll be ready for E3 because of a change in game progression style (i.e. world map removal/heavy alteration probably).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
If it's still exclusive I really hope to see it at Sony's press conference at E3, if not, it'll probably be in those secret mega theatres and we won't see shit.

I do remember Nomura saying they're not sure they'll be ready for E3 because of a change in game progression style (i.e. world map removal/heavy alteration probably).

World map wasn't removed, just changed. He recently commented that they have the airship system working on the world map now.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
astroturfing said:
damnit. i somehow managed to make the Long Guis appear... am i screwed? only farmed 3 Traps and 5 Platinum Ingots from the regular turtles... i dont think i can kill those damn Guis, the weaker ones one-shot my whole team............. and thats after me grinding for days and days to make my weapons and accessories better. just horrible. maybe now its the time to go finish the last chapter and go into post-game? will the Guis be manageable with a maxed out crystarium..?

Yes, go post-game. You can go back and kill the easily respawned turtle (run down the highway or go through the door) at the entrance to whatever the main hall is called in Eden. Best place to farm traps/ingots in the entire game.

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
World map wasn't removed, just changed. He recently commented that they have the airship system working on the world map now.
Cool, that's actually one of the first things I remember him saying about the game too though, which is a little worrying.

One concern I have with Versus is it's scale, if a VIIR would be obscenely costly, and Versus is having towns/worldmap style game design, that would point to it either having a huge budget, probably larger than XIIIs, which seems very unlikely given it's not the main title, and it's (at least for now) exclusive to one system, or it's going to be really small. Maybe neither and I'm paranoid though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
Cool, that's actually one of the first things I remember him saying about the game too though, which is a little worrying.

One concern I have with Versus is it's scale, if a VIIR would be obscenely costly, and Versus is having towns/worldmap style game design, that would point to it either having a huge budget, probably larger than XIIIs, which seems very unlikely given it's not the main title, and it's (at least for now) exclusive to one system, or it's going to be really small. Maybe neither and I'm paranoid though.

Kitase/Toriyama are great liars. Versus XIII is being treated like a mainline game so it probably has a similar budget as one.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hopefully Versus XIII learned lessons from FFXIII or something. :p Namely I hope its compressed properly and it will make use of the sceneries.

Aren't Versus XIII and Agito XIII considered main titles? Sure they're not straight FFXIII but the point of the FNC is to depict each director's view on what FFXIII and its world should be: FFXIII on Toriyama, Versus XIII on Nomura, and Agito XIII on Tabata.

Simply: The FNC is FFXIII in essence? :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ULTROS! said:
Hopefully Versus XIII learned lessons from FFXIII or something. :p Namely I hope its compressed properly and it will make use of the sceneries.

Aren't Versus XIII and Agito XIII considered main titles? Sure they're not straight FFXIII but the point of the FNC is to depict each director's view on what FFXIII and its world should be: FFXIII on Toriyama, Versus XIII on Nomura, and Agito XIII on Tabata.

Simply: The FNC is FFXIII in essence? :p

Pretty much. Versus/Agito are most definitely not spin-offs.

Cep

Banned
Kagari said:

Keep telling yourself that.

I personally expect a point and click map, a la FF X-2

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
Kitase/Toriyama are great liars. Versus XIII is being treated like a mainline game so it probably has a similar budget as one.

Why do I get this feeling Versus XIII has much more special treatment than FFXIII (the staff casting looks much more impressive since it composes of the KH team, FFVII and Advent Children team compared to FFXIII's team, namely the FFX team)? :lol

Cep said:
Keep telling yourself that.

I personally expect a point and click map, a la FF X-2
Didn't he say he got airships working on the world map? I don't know if it would make sense if the map was just point and click like X-2...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Scythesurge said:
Didn't he say he got airships working on the world map? I don't know if it would make sense if the map was just point and click like X-2...

D: I don't know... they just need to show the damn thing already to keep us from speculation.

ULTROS! said:
Why do I get this feeling Versus XIII has much more special treatment than FFXIII (the staff casting looks much more impressive since it composes of the KH team, FFVII and Advent Children team compared to FFXIII's team, namely the FFX team)? :lol

Certainly seems that way doesn't it.

ULTROS! said:
I'm not sure how the Versus XIII team sounds more impressive.

Advent Children is terrible and KH1 and 2 were kinda..........yeah.

ULTROS!

I've been wondering how the Action RPG elements will work on the World Map (that is if there are monsters on the map).

Will it be like FFXII or like Tales of Vesperia/Star Ocean IV (see the monsters, enter battle, and do action RPG stuff)

ULTROS!

Rahxephon91 said:
I'm not sure how the Versus XIII team sounds more impressive.

Advent Children is terrible and KH1 and 2 were kinda..........yeah.

Advent Children = awesome graphics.
and the scenes were much more understandable compared to XIII's random fireworks-thingie cutscenes

KH1 and KH2 were fun. BbS was considered one of the best KH titles.
not to mention one of the better/best Square Enix games this gen

Sooo, I've started farming Adamantoise/Adamantortoise turtles. The 1% drop rate (catalog doesn't improve a lot afaik) for traps is pretty ridiculous, but I can kill them in around 2,5 minutes with my maxed out party.

Is it worth it unlocking the Long Guis for the increased drop rate, or are they much harder to kill for platinum ingot farming?
I have around 7 million gil at the moment and didn't create any ultimate weapons yet.

SquallASF said:
In that case, you won't have to go through the measures to get the growth egg early. I'd say do at least the first 14 missions to get access to the chocobo so you can get around most of the areas and access some of those out of reach treasure orbs. Probably the right amount to get you strong enough to make it through the chapter. You'll also see a king behemoth battling one of those giant wolves when you decide to progress, that's a great place to grind. You get pre-emptive strike no matter what and both only have half their life and our distracted on each other, just make sure to kill the behemoth first. This is probably the best place to farm CP in the game too so feel free to power up as much as possible before moving on if that's your style. When you get to Chapter 13, two portals will open up near the beginning and one of them takes you back to Pulse. You can also beat the game to unlock the final level of crystarium and then load the post game save to run back to the portal I just mentioned. I can tell you that you'll need to grind and be really strong to beat 'All' of the missions but you can do most of them without grinding much.
Aww thanks for that - appreciate the advice. Yeah, that sounds good to me! I remember what I loved most in FF7 was when I was breeding all the different chocobos to be able to access different parts of the map, and get out of the way treasures, so I'd like that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ULTROS! said:
I've been wondering how the Action RPG elements will work on the World Map (that is if there are monsters on the map).

Will it be like FFXII or like Tales of Vesperia/Star Ocean IV (see the monsters, enter battle, and do action RPG stuff)

Based on the test footage people have seen behind closed doors, yes you will be able to see enemies on screen on-field... based on KH-style, battles will probably take place within that same field and no transition to another screen.

Kagari said:
D: I don't know... they just need to show the damn thing already to keep us from speculation.
But speculating is what we're best at! Though thinking about the speculation that we came up with for XIII, I'd say that most people were pretty far off from what the game actually turned out to be.

ULTROS!

Scythesurge said:
But speculating is what we're best at! Though thinking about the speculation that we came up with for XIII, I'd say that most people were pretty far off from what the game actually turned out to be.

Just wondering, what did the people speculate? :D

ULTROS! said:
and the scenes were much more understandable compared to XIII's random fireworks-thingie cutscenes

KH1 and KH2 were fun. Not to mention BbS was considered one of the best KH titles.
How are Advent Childcare's cut scenes better? What was wrong with XIII's beyond what was said? And if the people who wrote AC are involved with Versus I doubt it will be better in that regard.

KH1 was terrible and KH2 was mindless fun. Maybe BBS is better, I don't know.

I think alot of peoples hype for Versus is based on the same expectations people had after KH1's final mix movie. And I feel they are going to be let down a lot more then they were with XIII.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
GrumpyAlien said:
I just noticed something funny. Its probably already been mentioned somewhere in the thread. But anyway, I noticed that if you twirl the left analog stick clockwise repeatedly your character will get pissed off and do a little emote animation. Counter-clockwise also does a different one. Each character has their own unique ones as well. Its like the characters are telling you to stop twirling them around an idiot.

I can't wait to go home and try this. :lol

ULTROS! said:
Just wondering, what did the people speculate? :D
Idk look at old threads. :p

Even when people got the demo last year there was plenty of speculation, but I don't remember things like paradigm shifting being considered. IIRC.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So basically Versus is going to be a darker, hardcore Kingdom Hearts game with XIII-world characters?

Never played a KH game...

ULTROS! said:

KH1 and KH2 were fun. BbS was considered one of the best KH titles.
not to mention one of the better/best Square Enix games this gen
Honestly, no. Advent Children is a clusterfuck of stupidity compared to XIII.

ULTROS!

Rahxephon91 said:
How are Advent Childcare's cut scenes better? What was wrong with XIII's beyond what was said? And if the people who wrote AC are involved with Versus I doubt it will be better in that regard.

KH1 was terrible and KH2 was mindless fun. Maybe BBS is better, I don't know.

I think alot of peoples hype for Versus is based on the same expectations people had after KH1's final mix movie. And I feel they are going to be let down a lot more then they were with XIII.

The scenes were clusterfucks but I could understand Advent Children's more.

But that's me!

Kagari said:
People didn't believe that most of the game would be as linear as the demo...
Yeah :lol that's definitely a big one that was way off. The point is that though we can try to put the pieces together, we won't truly know until we see the game close to its release
in 2015

140.85 said:
So basically Versus is going to be a darker, hardcore Kingdom Hearts game with XIII-world characters?

Never played a KH game...
I doubt it. People thought KH2 would be darker and look where that got them.

ULTROS! said:
Advent Children = I could understand what was happening in the cutscenes even if it did show a lot of fancy stuff.
FFXIII = I couldn't understand what was happening in the cutscenes.
Chapter 11 racing scene, ending, etc. A number of the cutscenes were clusterfucks.

But that's me!
Well I guess XIII had some shaky cam, but I don't remember ever having any problems following them. I found them a lot better then AC stupid for the sake of awesome scenes.

luxarific said:
Yes, go post-game. You can go back and kill the easily respawned turtle (run down the highway or go through the door) at the entrance to whatever the main hall is called in Eden. Best place to farm traps/ingots in the entire game.
ahh, alright then. thanks!

StuBurns

Banned
ULTROS! said:

I don't think they'll be on the world map, although they were in the towns at the demo they showed people last year at TGS, so who knows.

And to the comment above about it being more 'special', it's definitely more interesting to me, FFXIII seems to be for the modern young Call of Duty loving HD gamer. Versus seems to be for the older loved the PS1 era stuff, but is a little jaded maybe gamer. I have no idea who Agito is for, although I do want it.

I think Versus staff is more impressive, and it's certainly had the time required to bake into something very special, if it will be or not remains to be seen.

ULTROS!

Kagari said:
People didn't believe that most of the game would be as linear as the demo...

I didn't also
... but I expected/predicted that it won't be a very good game after the demo and people didn't believe me. :p

Cep

Banned
Kagari said:
Based on the test footage people have seen behind closed doors, yes you will be able to see enemies on screen on-field... based on KH-style, battles will probably take place within that same field and no transition to another screen.

Probably true, but I really have trouble being positive about versus.

What with being burned by 13 and all.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
schennmu said:
Sooo, I've started farming Adamantoise/Adamantortoise turtles. The 1% drop rate (catalog doesn't improve a lot afaik) for traps is pretty ridiculous, but I can kill them in around 2,5 minutes with my maxed out party.

Is it worth it unlocking the Long Guis for the increased drop rate, or are they much harder to kill for platinum ingot farming?
I have around 7 million gil at the moment and didn't create any ultimate weapons yet.

Don't farm Long Guis for ingots, they take way too long to kill in comparison to the Chapter 12 Turtle. If you want to farm for ingots or traps I'd stick with killing him. I got about a 33% drop rate for ingots with that turtle, equipping both catalogs. I got two extra traps in about 25-30 kills of that turtle.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
I don't think they'll be on the world map, although they were in the towns at the demo they showed people last year at TGS, so who knows.

And to the comment above about it being more 'special', it's definitely more interesting to me, FFXIII seems to be for the modern young Call of Duty loving HD gamer. Versus seems to be for the older loved the PS1 era stuff, but is a little jaded maybe gamer. I have no idea who Agito is for, although I do want it.

I think Versus staff is more impressive, and it's certainly had the time required to bake into something very special, if it will be or not remains to be seen.

At least Versus XIII wasn't started on PS2 then scrapped.
And Toriyama and Watanabe have nothing to do with it.

Cep said:
Probably true, but I really have trouble being positive about versus.

What with being burned by 13 and all.

I'm a little more optimistic, based on the staff for the project, but you're right though. Guess we'll have to wait and see how things pan out. After Birth by Sleep's amazingness though, I'm a bit more excited.

Cep

Banned
Kagari said:
At least Versus XIII wasn't started on PS2 then scrapped.
And Toriyama and Watanabe have nothing to do with it.

Would do my heart good, but we know he is probably involved.

He is always involved. :(

Rahxephon91 said:
Yeah and Tetsuya Nomura is the director. That alone doesn't aspire much confidence.

I dunno.

I have played BBS, and that game is all sorts of sexy.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Cep said:
Would do my heart good, but we know he is probably involved.

He is always involved. :(

* Producers: Shinji Hashimoto, Yoshinori Kitase
* Image Artwork: Yoshitaka Amano
* Mechanic Concept: Takayuki Takeya
* Clothes Design: Himuro Takahara (Roen Creative Director)
* Scenario Writer: Kazushige Nojima
* Music: Yoko Shimomura
* Main Programmers: Hiroshi Harata, Kentarou Yasui
* Planning Directors: Yuuichi Kanemori, Takayoshi Nakazato
* Planning Director (World): Takeshi Endou
* Planning Director (Event): Jun Akiyama
* Graphic Director (Character Model): Tomohiro Kayano
* Graphic Director (Animation): Tatsuya Kandou
* Graphic Director (Map Model): Masahide Tanaka
* Graphic Director (Visual Effects): Shuichi Sato
* Graphic Director (System Menu): Takeshi Arakawa
* Art Director (Character): Tomohiro Hasegawa
* Art Director (Map): Takayuki Ohtachi
* Movie Director: Takeshi Nozue
* Director, Concept Game Design, Character Design, Base Story: Tetsuya Nomura

He's currently not credited though, so I don't think he's working on the script here.

ULTROS!

Rahxephon91 said:
Yeah and Tetsuya Nomura is the director. That alone doesn't aspire much confidence.

Nomura > Toriyama
Nomura + Nojima >>>>> Toriyama + Watanabe

Cep

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Nomura > Toriyama

Dude, Anyone > Watanabe.

Seriously.

I do not like Nojima much, but compared to Watanabe? He is freaking Dostoevsky!

ULTROS! said:
Nomura > Toriyama
Toryiyama directed FFX-2 and FFXIII.

Nomura did KH 1, 2 and most importantly AC.

1 made 3 things full of emo bullshit that made a character who was fully developed, relapse into baby mode for no reason.

1 made 2 games that are actually fun to play.

Yeah Versus XIII isn't looking very good.

And I could care less about story at his point. Even if its better then XIII, what is that really better then?

And you should cry over AC's story more then some character mash up game's story. The story where everyone had planet aids that could be cured by taking a both with little kids.

ULTROS!

When I think of Watanabe, I think of Dissidia.

I cry over Dissidia's story because it doesn't make a lick sense.

StuBurns

Banned
They're all terrible writers, it's horrific that they can be 'professionals' and produce such trash. Playing through FFXIII, more than anything, it's shocking that they can get away with putting out something so poorly written. The gameplay is stunning, the geometry and art work that went into the game is truly gorgeous, and then you get a story that could have been written by a four year old on his bedroom walls with a piece of shit.

Maybe it's the localization, but the writing would be embarrassing for high school work, let alone a huge commercial product such as this.

I'm not expecting much from Versus in terms of story, however, it's premise is more interesting to me, it's setting certainly is. The 'scenario writing' seems cool. Although, all these allusions to Shakespeare and things are concerning. That kind of thing is not disposable, and should be treated with an immense amount of respect, I hope they do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom