• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Whoever suggested that "MOMS ARE TOUGH" and "I'LL BE YOUR HERO HERO HERO" is awesome, I'd stun gun him/her/it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
They're all terrible writers, it's horrific that they can be 'professionals' and produce such trash. Playing through FFXIII, more than anything, it's shocking that they can get away with putting out something so poorly written. The gameplay is stunning, the geometry and art work that went into the game is truly gorgeous, and then you get a story that could have been written by a four year old on his bedroom walls with a piece of shit.

Maybe it's the localization, but the writing would be embarrassing for high school work, let alone a huge commercial product such as this.

I'm not expecting much from Versus in terms of story, however, it's premise is more interesting to me, it's setting certainly is. The 'scenario writing' seems cool. Although, all these allusions to Shakespeare and things are concerning. That kind of thing is not disposable, and should be treated with an immense amount of respect, I hope they do so.

Nah, the script in Japanese was also terrible.

TheChillyAcademic said:
NO WAY?!

So what did Nomura tell you? How was that secret closed theatre? Is the gameplay as good as they said it is? We had that HUGE info blowout last month and...

O WAIT.
OMG I USED I WAS SPECUlATING AND USING THE WORD LOOKING! LETS GO THE OVERBOARD!

StuBurns

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Whoever suggested that "MOMS ARE TOUGH" and "I'LL BE YOUR HERO HERO HERO" is awesome, I'd stun gun him/her/it.
The worst line I've heard was from Vanille to Sazh, something like "You might be a l'Cie, but your still a daddy!". Fucking awful. And the voice actress, my God.

Kagari said:
Nah, the script in Japanese was also terrible.
I feel bad for the localization team then. They were probably sitting around, discussing how you could make it awesome, but then had to just verbatim translate it as is. Although, the localization of the job names alone pisses me off, the Japanese ones are actually better, and yet they still changed them, moronic.

BeeDog

Seriously, can someone please explain how the Catalog items work? I've been trying to farm more Traps from the Eden Adamantoise, but I barely get any spoils from it. I have both the Collector Catalog (☆) and the Connossieur Catalog (☆) equipped on Vanille, but I barely get any drops. Even worse, the luck I have with Death-killing a turtle is completely arbitrary; sometimes, my first Death attack kills him outright, but sometimes I have to retry the battle like 7(!) times.

1. Does equipping both catalogs at the same time fuck up the drop percentage rate for Traps or something?
2. Do you guys/gals have any suggestions on how to increase the Death rate?

Thanks in advance.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
OK, so I have a question about the ending.
I understand the group's desire to put an end to Orphan's machinations once and for all, but why would they kill him knowing it would bring down Cocoon? I realize they were kinda trapped in this room getting attacked, but did I miss something where they had some sort of post-death plan? And what exactly was the power behind Vanille and Fangs transformation? I imagine Fang was able to harness the Ragnarockish powers bestowed upon her? Despite this mild confusion I liked the ending. Reminded me of VII's.

Also,
the mythos you can unlock doing missions kept referring to a "Goddess" figure that foiled Ragnarok's first attempt at destroying Cocoon...is this ever explained in more detail? (I haven't unlocked them all yet)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
StuBurns said:
The worst line I've heard was from Vanille to Sazh, something like "You might be a l'Cie, but your still a daddy!". Fucking awful. And the voice actress, my God.

The dialogue makes me want to cry.

Also sort of OT: am I the only one who prefers SO4 over FFXIII because its more of a JRPG and has better side content? :D

ULTROS! said:
Moms are tough is one of the funniest lines in the franchise, though. That alone makes it awesome.

You're lying to yourself if you think SO4, which has by far the worst fucking battle system and story and atmosphere and *everything* over FFXIII, which at least has great music, graphics, and battle system.

Dresden

StuBurns said:
And to the comment above about it being more 'special', it's definitely more interesting to me, FFXIII seems to be for the modern young Call of Duty loving HD gamer. Versus seems to be for the older loved the PS1 era stuff, but is a little jaded maybe gamer. I have no idea who Agito is for, although I do want it.

:lol

So, so mature. So PSX!

images

You guys are hyping yourselves up over a game that probably will have, at best, marginally better writing than XIII. Look at their freaking track record.

ULTROS!

ZephyrFate said:
Moms are tough is one of the funniest lines in the franchise, though. That alone makes it awesome.

You're lying to yourself if you think SO4, which has by far the worst fucking battle system and story and atmosphere and *everything* over FFXIII, which at least has great music, graphics, and battle system.

Moms are tough, kay?

StuBurns said:
...and then you get a story that could have been written by a four year old on his bedroom walls with a piece of shit.

Some of the lines could have been better but the overall story is good IMO.

I wonder how much is lost (or f'ed up) in translation. Sometimes for kicks I watch anime dubbed that I had previously watched subbed and am shocked at how cheesy and confusing things become.

Dresden

ZephyrFate said:
Honestly, no. Advent Children is a clusterfuck of stupidity compared to XIII.
Honestly. XIII looks like a shining standard of exciting storytelling compared to the shit that was AC.

Dresden said:
Honestly. XIII looks like a shining standard of exciting storytelling compared to the shit that was AC.
HEY LET'S SPLIT SEPHIROTH INTO SOME CLONES AND SHIT AGAIN

LIKE THAT WAS SUCH A SMART PLOT DEVICE THE FIRST TIME

Cep

Banned
140.85 said:
Some of the lines could have been better but the overall story is good IMO.

I wonder how much is lost (or f'ed up) in translation. Sometimes for kicks I watch anime dubbed that I had previously watched subbed and am shocked at how cheesy and confusing things become.

I do this too sometimes, and sometimes I find it to be worse.

It is usually not too hard to separate the failings of the writer and the failings of the translator.

StuBurns said:
They're all terrible writers, it's horrific that they can be 'professionals' and produce such trash. Playing through FFXIII, more than anything, it's shocking that they can get away with putting out something so poorly written. The gameplay is stunning, the geometry and art work that went into the game is truly gorgeous, and then you get a story that could have been written by a four year old on his bedroom walls with a piece of shit.

Pretty much, yeah :lol Story and characters are awful. Why am I still loving it? The battle system is maybe the best in the series.

BeeDog said:
Seriously, can someone please explain how the Catalog items work? I've been trying to farm more Traps from the Eden Adamantoise, but I barely get any spoils from it. I have both the Collector Catalog (☆) and the Connossieur Catalog (☆) equipped on Vanille, but I barely get any drops. Even worse, the luck I have with Death-killing a turtle is completely arbitrary; sometimes, my first Death attack kills him outright, but sometimes I have to retry the battle like 7(!) times.

1. Does equipping both catalogs at the same time fuck up the drop percentage rate for Traps or something?

Thanks in advance.

Really, level up your chars and give up on the stupid death method.

I usually equip both catalogs, but they don't do much anyways. Statistically you will get an ingot every fourth fight. And the trap drop rate is about 1% without catalogs :(

luxarific said:
Don't farm Long Guis for ingots, they take way too long to kill in comparison to the Chapter 12 Turtle. If you want to farm for ingots or traps I'd stick with killing him. I got about a 33% drop rate for ingots with that turtle, equipping both catalogs. I got two extra traps in about 25-30 kills of that turtle.

Thanks, I will continue farming the eden turtle then. So far I've been unlucky with the traps. Only got one after killing around 30-40 turtles.

Well I i like the "story" and characters in XIII and in most rpgs. I just find that like most games they are badly executed and told.
Bah. Advent Children Complete is a lot better.
How? because now Denzel isn't so random and we kind of know what happen to those Truks?

Oh wait its got more blood.

ULTROS!

Advent Children Complete (complete as in the removed cutscenes were included) had less plotholes than FFXIII at least. :/

Dresden

AC was laughably bad. The one thing that it supposedly had going for it--action--was ruined by terrible choreography and the ridiculous floaty, weightless physics. I don't mind people flying around and shit, it's fantasy, whatever. But the 'action' in AC consisted of two puppets flailing at each other with styrofoam sticks.

Let's not even get started on the 'story.' At least in XIII the story LOOKED like it was building up to something before falling apart. AC? It was slash fanfiction without the yaoi for mass consumption.

I don't think XIII has any holes. It just kind of ends with you thinking "what was the point of anything they just did".

AC ends with me wondering what the hell happened and why did I buy and watch this. Thais happen two times thanks to me being a consumer whore and buying AC Complete.

Pimpbaa

I'm not liking that part that all of you says is so good (ch11) :lol Anyways, this game got me interested in jrpgs again. What should I move on to next (HD consoles only)? I'm thinking that star ocean game.

StuBurns

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
I'm not liking that part that all of you says is so good (ch11) :lol Anyways, this game got me interested in jrpgs again. What should I move on to next (HD consoles only)? I'm thinking that star ocean game.
Anything but Star Ocean.

Seriously my suggestion would be maybe the Last Remnant, I liked Lost Odyssey too, but it's a bit too traditional maybe.

My advice would actually be something like Persona, it's not on the HD consoles, but it'll run on a BC PS3.

Cep

Banned
Pimpbaa said:

If you do this, you will turned off JRPGs forever.

Play a little Demon's Soul's, Tales of Vesperia and Valkyrie Chronicles first.

ULTROS!

Pimpbaa said:

I'd like to recommend it but people would hate me if I do so. :lol

For the safest bet: Resonance of Fate and Valkyria Chronicles are good. Tales of Vesperia is also good too.

Rahxephon91 said:
I don't think XIII has any holes. It just kind of ends with you thinking "what was the point of anything they just did".

I thought the point was to
wrest human destiny away from Fal'cie control, save Cocoon, and release themselves from the focus/crystal.

Here's my ranking of the characters.
1= Best
6= Worst

Lightning= 4 Seems interesting at the beginning of the game, but she's just shallow and boring. I like her art design though. Also she has the best animation of all the chars.

Snow= 4- Comedic value keeps him from being worse.

Fang= 3+ Less cheese and good voice acting.

Sazh= 4 Pretty stereotypical but at least not very annoying. WTF at his running animation.

Hope= 5- Just an annoying emo twat with horrible horrible dialogue.

Vanille= 6- There are no words. Worst FF character EVER. Her voice actor should never get a job again.

Serah= 6+ As annoying as hot.

ULTROS!

schennmu said:
Here's my ranking of the characters.
1= Best
6= Worst

Lightning= 4 Seems interesting at the beginning of the game, but she's just shallow and boring. I like her art design though. Also she has the best animation of all the chars.

Snow= 4- Comedic value keeps him from being worse.

Fang= 3+ Less cheese and good voice acting.

Sazh= 4 Pretty stereotypical but at least not very annoying. WTF at his running animation.

Hope= 5- Just an annoying emo twat with horrible horrible dialogue.

Vanille= 6- There are no words. Worst FF character EVER. Her voice actor should never get a job again.

Serah= 6+ As annoying as hot.

The Chocobo Chick was probably the best character for me. :p

Choopy

Neo Member
So about the ending...
Why were they "decrystalized" at the end? They completed their focus... I thought that they remain trapped in crystal for eternity.. Same for Serah and the kid. How were they brought back? This, and how Fang and Vanille could willingly become Ragnarok out of nowhere were the only things that confused me.. I think.

140.85 said:
I thought the point was to
wrest human destiny away from Fal'cie control, save Cocoon, and release themselves from the focus/crystal.
Maybe but they all wanted to save Cocoon and since Orphan runs cocoon they wanted to save him to. Then for whatever reason Orphan is also part of the suicide club and so the party fights and kills him. But doesn't that destroy Cocoon? How will Cocoon survive? How will people survive now when nothing apparently works like food supply?

And Hope is hardly emo. And being shallow was kind of the point of Light. She wasn't really as badass as she made herself out to be.

Rahxephon91 said:
Maybe but they all wanted to save Cocoon and since Orphan runs cocoon they wanted to save him to. Then for whatever reason Orphan is also part of the suicide club and so the party fights and kills him. But doesn't that destroy Cocoon? How will Cocoon survive? How will people survive now when nothing apparently works like food supply.

And Hope is hardly emo. And being shallow was kind of the point of Light. She wasn't really as badass as she made herself out to be.

Orphan was always part of the suicide club, that was the point. Orphan wakes when Barthwhatever is killed, tries to get Fang to turn to Ragnarok, but can't do it. Orphan then made it clear that he was just going to keep using people until he was killed, so the group had no choice but to take him out. It does "destroy" Cocoon, the whole last cutscene is Cocoon on a crash course towards Pulse, headed for destruction. Fang and Vanille turn into Ragnarok to save Cocoon instead of destroy it, trapping themselves in crystals but saving Cocoon in the process. So nothing probably works on Cocoon itself since the Fal'Cie are gone, which is why people start walking onto Pulse at the end.

Absoludacrous said:
Orphan was always part of the suicide club, that was the point. Orphan wakes when Barthwhatever is killed, tries to get Fang to turn to Ragnarok, but can't do it. Orphan then made it clear that he was just going to keep using people until he was killed, so the group had no choice but to take him out. It does "destroy" Cocoon, the whole last cutscene is Cocoon on a crash course towards Pulse, headed for destruction. Fang and Vanille turn into Ragnarok to save Cocoon instead of destroy it, trapping themselves in crystals but saving Cocoon in the process. So nothing probably works on Cocoon itself since the Fal'Cie are gone, which is why people start walking onto Pulse at the end.
How do we know that Orphan is part of the suicide club, up until the end there is nothing that points to him being at all bad. It just randomly turns out "oh he was". Maybe I missed something ,but even the characters seem confused at what happens.

Seems the problem with the story is that what was stated earlier came into big conflict with were they decided to take the story.

ULTROS! said:
The Chocobo Chick was probably the best character for me. :p

I agree:lol

Rahxephon91 said:
Call Hope what you want, he's just useless.

I guess you're right about Light. But doesn't exactly help her case. Sadly, she is still one of the "better" characters.

Rahxephon91 said:
How do we know that Orphan is part of the suicide club, up until the end there is nothing that points to him being at all bad. It just randomly turns out "oh he was". Maybe I missed something ,but even the characters seem confused at what happens.

Seems the problem with the story is that what was stated earlier came into big conflict with were they decided to take the story.

All of the Fal'Cie were bad, more or less. The goal for all of them was basically to destroy Cocoon and bring back the maker. They never single out Orphan, but he was just asleep the whole time. The party was trying to save him to save Cocoon, but after Orphan awakes they see that saving Orphan isn't going to do any good, as Orphan can just grab new L'Cie to keep the cycle going until it eventually happens.

Thoraxes

Rahxephon91 said:

Technically you don't find out you have to
kill Orphan till the fight with Barthandelus in Ch. 10 I believe. You are just told that you're going to have to kill him in order to fulfill your focus which is to destroy Cocoon, as Ragnarok, turning everyone living there into human sacrifices so that the Maker (God) will come back and make Pulse inhabitable again,
and so humans will live there.

If you kill
Orphan, then you kill Eden's power and then he can not live anymore, can't control the other fal'cie to keep Cocoon floating/thriving as a civilization, and everyone will die, resulting in the Maker returning.

The Cocoon fal'cie
desired this as well, so esentially the humans living on Cocoon were just livestock being raised to be killed for this sacrifice.

You don't find out that
Orphan wants to kill himself for this till after Barthandelus assimilates into him at the last boss fights of the game, and that he too wishes for the Makers' return.

I think that covered all the bases.

ULTROS!

So the ending in layman's terms...

Barthandalus: I want to kill Orphan in order to awaken the creator.

Team Lightning: No! You are evil and we will kill you.

*Barthandalus dies and Orphan awakes*

Orphan: I tricked you! Mwahahaha

Team Lightning: You're bad! We will kill you to end the suffering.

*Kills Orphan*

Fang and Vanille: Lets team up to save Cocoon even if it costs our lives!

So in reality, the easy solution was to:

Let Barthandalus kill Orphan.
Make Fang and Vanille stay in standby mode until Cocoon is about to fall.

Fal'cie can't do anything that's not their mission in life. So they can't kill themselves. They can only do their focus, unlike humans.

Oh and lets ad this
Team Lightning: Sure will kill you even though that's what you wanted us to do because of fate or something.

Thoraxes

ULTROS! said:
So the ending in layman's terms...

Barthandalus: I want to kill Orphan in order to awaken the creator.

Team Lightning: No! You are evil and we will kill you.

*Barthandalus dies and Orphan awakes*

Orphan: I tricked you! Mwahahaha

Team Lightning: You're bad! We will kill you to end the suffering.

*Kills Orphan*

Fang and Vanille: Lets team up to save Cocoon even if it costs our lives!

So in reality, the easy solution was to:

Let Barthandalus kill Orphan.
Make Fang and Vanille stay in standby mode until Cocoon is about to fall.

Just so you know though,
fal'cie from the same origin can't kill each other. Pulse fal'cie can't kill other Pulse fal'cie, and Cocoon fal'cie can't kill other Cocoon fal'cie. This is the reason why each of them make l'cie; to complete the goals they cannot.

And
Orphan
was more
kill me to end this suffering (so the Maker will return), or i'll kill more of you, and just kill everyone till someone kills me. This presented an interesting thing though, which is to either kill Orphan to fulfill their focus, killing all the citizens of Cocoon but stay immortal in a crystal slumber, or to kill themselves or die without completing their focus, turning in cie'th/dead bodies, but then have Barthandelus/Orphan killing all the citizens of Cocoon anyways to try to get what they want.

Either way, it was a
lose/lose situation, which is why the ending is so sweet when Vanille and Fang manage to both become Ragnarok, but maintain their will and save both Cocoon from everyone dying, and Pulse from being raped by the falling planetoid that is Cocoon.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
BeeDog said:

Thanks in advance.

The definitive (?) drop rate post.

I can confirm that the 37% drop rate for ingots with catalogs equipped is probably valid (at least for the Chapter 12 Turtle). I got around 33% for ingots with around 25-30 kills (wasn't keeping stats for the first few kills, so I'm guesstimating). Only got two traps in about 25-30 kills.

BeeDog

luxarific said:
The definitive (?) drop rate post.

I can confirm that the 37% drop rate for ingots with catalogs equipped is probably valid (at least for the Chapter 12 Turtle). I got around 33% for ingots with around 25-30 kills (wasn't keeping stats for the first few kills, so I'm guesstimating). Only got two traps in about 25-30 kills.

Just what I needed, many thanks! Just for clarification, you always had one Collector and one Connossieur equipped (that is, BOTH active), right?

I think what Hope says right before they kill Orphan helps explain the logic of the group at that point: "If we have the power to destroy Cocoon, then we have the power to save it." Which makes sense to me. Put an end to Orphan's cycle and use the power they've been given to reverse the consequence of Orphan being gone. Which is exactly what they do. They use the power that was meant to destroy Cocoon to instead save it. In yo face Orphan - BURN.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
BeeDog said:
Just what I needed, many thanks! Just for clarification, you always had one Collector and one Connossieur equipped (that is, BOTH active), right?

Yes, since I felt that I got more trap drops with both equipped (I didn't go to the bother of killing 30 turtles only having one equipped to actually test this however and I've read that you only need Con-Catalog to get traps and the Col-Catalog to get ingots - haven't tested that premise either). The catalogs weren't both on the same character or my playable character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom