• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam27368

Banned
NYYYARRGHH GAF HELP!

How the f**k do I get 5 stars on gigantaur's I've searched the web and just found retards on gamespot going "you need insta stagger lolz n00b".
I'd rather beat it properly instead of restarting the battle 50 times just to get it right.
How did you guys 5 star it (paradigms, chars and equipment pls pls pls!)

Bebpo

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Advent Children Complete (complete as in the removed cutscenes were included) had less plotholes than FFXIII at least. :/

AC Complete was pretty good. Really turned my opinion of the film around.

AC original is like D+ film
AC Complete is like B film

Flows a lot better, makes sense, has a good and well paced character development/plot/action. Looks/sounds nice. My main complaint is simply that the blu-ray is 480p except for the new scenes that are 1080p. If the entire thing was 1080p I'd easily give AC:C a thumbs up recommendation to anyone and everyone.

luxarific said:
The definitive (?) drop rate post.

I can confirm that the 37% drop rate for ingots with catalogs equipped is probably valid (at least for the Chapter 12 Turtle). I got around 33% for ingots with around 25-30 kills (wasn't keeping stats for the first few kills, so I'm guesstimating). Only got two traps in about 25-30 kills.

This is awesome, thx.

StuBurns

Banned
Bebpo said:
My main complaint is simply that the blu-ray is 480p except for the new scenes that are 1080p. If the entire thing was 1080p I'd easily give AC:C a thumbs up recommendation to anyone and everyone.
Is this true? I put it in once and well to sleep so I haven't seen it yet, but that's kind of crazy. I'd heard the new stuff looked a little better, I didn't know the difference was so pronounced.

Rpgmonkey

ULTROS! said:
Also sort of OT: am I the only one who prefers SO4 over FFXIII because its more of a JRPG and has better side content? :D

I wouldn't say I prefer it over FFXIII, but SO4's post-game was a far more enjoyable experience.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
Is this true? I put it in once and well to sleep so I haven't seen it yet, but that's kind of crazy. I'd heard the new stuff looked a little better, I didn't know the difference was so pronounced.

Yes. Only the new scenes are rendered in 1080p. The older scenes are just upscaled. Pretty lazy on S-E's part.

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
Yes. Only the new scenes are rendered in 1080p. The older scenes are just upscaled. Pretty lazy on S-E's part.
Didn't it get a cinema release first time? Was it initially rendered so small? I'd have expected a 2K version being somewhere in the SE offices.

Pooya

yeah, it was odd, couldn't they just render the whole movie again in a higher resolution?the cut/paste job doesn't make any sense.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
Didn't it get a cinema release first time? Was it initially rendered so small? I'd have expected a 2K version being somewhere in the SE offices.

It was a limited theater release, but I do remember reading complaints that it seemed blurry...

Rahxephon91 said:
Nomura did KH 1, 2 and most importantly AC.

1 made 3 things full of emo bullshit that made a character who was fully developed, relapse into baby mode for no reason.

How is KH1 emo? What is this, I don't even....

140.85 said:
I think what Hope says right before they kill Orphan helps explain the logic of the group at that point: "If we have the power to destroy Cocoon, then we have the power to save it."

That's not logical.

"If we have the power to kill the thing making cocoon float we also have the power to make cocoon float. You guys all spent CP on that 'make cocoon float' ability right?"

And no, randomly turning Cocoon into a crystal did all of jack since the people would have died if they weren't evacuated prior to Orphan's destruction. Speaking of which: HOW DID THEY EVACUATE A PLANETOID WITH A POPULATION EQUIVALENT TO NORTH AMERICA SO QUICKLY?

C.T.

How can you not like Sazh? He has his goofy moments for comecal relief (japanese like this, I'm an expert) but is the only mature in the group.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Fimbulvetr said:
That's not logical.

"If we have the power to kill the thing making cocoon float we also have the power to make cocoon float. You guys all spent CP on that 'make cocoon float' ability right?"

And no, randomly turning Cocoon into a crystal did all of jack since the people would have died if they weren't evacuated prior to Orphan's destruction. Speaking of which: HOW DID THEY EVACUATE A PLANETOID WITH A POPULATION EQUIVALENT TO NORTH AMERICA SO QUICKLY?

Sure it is.
At that point they had attained the power of Ragnarok - a power capable of destroying Cocoon completely - in addition to their other skills. This was not something they had access to until that point. It was also a leap of faith on their part. They weren't sure how this power was going to help save Cocoon but they would do anything it took.

Why would evacuation need to happen before Orphan dies? The important part is keeping it from colliding with Pulse.

I don't think they suggest that the entire thing was evacuated yet in the ending do they?

140.85 said:
Sure it is.
At that point they had attained the power of Ragnarok - a power capable of destroying Cocoon completely - in addition to their other skills. This was not something they had access to until that point. It was also a leap of faith on their part. They weren't sure how this power was going to help save Cocoon but they would do anything it took.

Why would evacuation need to happen before Orphan dies? The important part is keeping it from colliding with Pulse.

I don't think they suggest that the entire thing was evacuated yet in the ending do they?

If by they you mean Fang and Vanille who know how to use it because.... because.... I guess Vanille promised or something?

Also, anybody still in Cocoon during the crystallization would be fucked; either from being trapped, getting stabbed by rapidly forming crystal, or getting turned into crystal themselves.

And the writers certainly opt to avoid the implications that anybody was left behind in Cocoon. It's like the ending of Sonic Adventure.

StuBurns

Banned
C.T. said:
How can you not like Sazh? He has his goofy moments for comecal relief (japanese like this, I'm an expert) but is the only mature in the group.
He points a
gun at Vanille
just to see a young woman become distraught. Hardly comic.

neoism

Well, I guess I 'll leave my little opinion, I just beat it, but I didn't watch the ending, I'll do that once I've 100% everything. I have to say not sure I should even voice this opinion, particularly for this series, and this game...
So many people just have soo many different opinions about FF games, it's nearly pointless, I lOVED this game, but I guess I'm one of the lucky Final Fantasy fanboys, in that I've never hated any game in the series. As of now its

12=13>10>8>9>7>6>5>4> the rest doesn't matter.
The graphics are insane, best looking RPG TODATE.
My second favorite battle system ever just behind 12's
My favorite story...
(No way is 8's better than this..... X is second
The character's were great...
Second favorite world, looooved Gran Pulse....
So whatever, I've been behind this thread for awhile, and the constant complaining about ever little thing is sad. Should have been called Final Fantasy XIII The Official Hate Thread...

I was nervous about the linearity, but I think X's was faar worse... I didn't even miss the lack of towns....but whatever, the only major thing I was disappointed in was most of GAF hating it, only because I guess the ones the hated it doesn't see what I see.

Also
XIII has the best first 4 hours in a FF game..soooo awesome
And The beginning CGI Chapter 12 cut-scene= The best cut-scene everr

140.85 said:
Sure it is.
It was also a leap of faith on their part. They weren't sure how this power was going to help save Cocoon but they would do anything it took.

In addition to this, when they all turned into C'eith at the end (and then subsequently back again), they all shared a vision of happiness and being together in the end. They used this vision as blind faith that if they killed Orphan, it would all turn out okay. I guess you could interpret this as the Maker or the goddess getting involved and trying to guide them towards doing the right thing.

Also, Cocoon wasn't evacuated, just Eden - it was being invaded by monsters from Pulse, after all.

schennmu said:
Here's my ranking of the characters.
1= Best
6= Worst

Lightning= 4 Seems interesting at the beginning of the game, but she's just shallow and boring. I like her art design though. Also she has the best animation of all the chars.

Snow= 4- Comedic value keeps him from being worse.

Fang= 3+ Less cheese and good voice acting.

Sazh= 4 Pretty stereotypical but at least not very annoying. WTF at his running animation.

Hope= 5- Just an annoying emo twat with horrible horrible dialogue.

Vanille= 6- There are no words. Worst FF character EVER. Her voice actor should never get a job again.

Serah= 6+ As annoying as hot.

Sazh is a 1, Fang is a 5 and everyone else is a 6-. Sazh gets blues harmonica every time he talks. AFRO BLUES.

Sazh has Vinny syndrome, normal person in a world of crazy people.

15wnipd.jpg

Is it just me or does this whole FFXIII/Versus XIII business just seem like a way to practice for the FFVII remake? Lightning's face + Snow's pants and boots = Cloud, Versus has a world map and the turks.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Fimbulvetr said:
If by they you mean Fang and Vanille who know how to use it because.... because.... I guess Vanille promised or something?

Also, anybody still in Cocoon during the crystallization would be fucked; either from being trapped, getting stabbed by rapidly forming crystal, or getting turned into crystal themselves.

And the writers certainly opt to avoid the implications that anybody was left behind in Cocoon. It's like the ending of Sonic Adventure.

the surface was crystalized but what implies the same went for the innards? and the giant escape hole was still there i think

dramatis

Obviously, the reason why Eden was
evacuated so quickly because you were so busy farming turtles that in the same amount of time Rygdea got everybody out and safe.
Only logical reason.

dramatis said:
Obviously, the reason why Eden was
evacuated so quickly because you were so busy farming turtles that in the same amount of time Rygdea got everybody out and safe.
Only logical reason.
I thought Rygdea died.... maybe.

What the fuck happened to him?

dramatis

Fimbulvetr said:
I thought Rygdea died.... maybe.

What the fuck happened to him?

If you're lucky, FF13-2 will star him instead of a return of the old characters.

...Worst case scenario, 13-2 will be about Team Nora.

Regarding Vs13's world map, I would really like to see FF12-style with seamless loading from area to area. Hopefully, that won't be too much. It's pretty sad to see SE struggle so much to put out one game all these years based on Crystal Tools, while tri-Ace forked out 3 on their ASKA Framework. More likely it's the mismanagement of the producer and director.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BlazingDarkness said:
They said it probably won't be at E3
Then again, whenever Nomura has said it won't be at X event, it's always there..
At this point I bet it has a 60% chance of being there.

WiaRS

Neo Member
Quick question, When should I have started upgrading my equipment? I'm in the Fifth Ark and have neither sold any of my loot nor upgraded my weapons or accessories. I am wondering because I am having a hard time with the monsters in here..

FFXIII-2 should be a series of lighthearted yet wacky misadventures as Sazh meets his future wife, followed by sitcom-style relationship drama hilarity. Sazh's pregnant wife demands chocolate pudding at 3AM? Sazh rushes to the corner store! Oh no, it's a Demon Wall! Will Sazh make it back in time?

Cep said:
Oh god...

So basically it's X-2 'cept every character is a dumber version of Rikku? :lol

God's Beard said:
FFXIII-2 should be a series of lighthearted yet wacky misadventures as Sazh meets his future wife, followed by sitcom-style relationship drama hilarity. Sazh's pregnant wife demands chocolate pudding at 3AM? Sazh rushes to the corner store! Oh no, it's a Demon Wall! Will Sazh make it back in time?

Can't Catch a Break is the game's main theme.

Trickster

God's Beard said:
Is it just me or does this whole FFXIII/Versus XIII business just seem like a way to practice for the FFVII remake? Lightning's face + Snow's pants and boots = Cloud, Versus has a world map and the turks.

Wait what? By world map, do you mean like back in FF 7-8-9? Day 1 if so.

luxarific said:
The definitive (?) drop rate post.

I can confirm that the 37% drop rate for ingots with catalogs equipped is probably valid (at least for the Chapter 12 Turtle). I got around 33% for ingots with around 25-30 kills (wasn't keeping stats for the first few kills, so I'm guesstimating). Only got two traps in about 25-30 kills.
Cool link. This would be much more inline with what I experience personally, I would have guessed about 40% drop for ingots (w/cat) and 10% drop for traps (without cat). I managed to get 3 traps in 3 kills in a row without the conn. cat. Had no use for them :(

DigitalDevil said:
what kind of fucking idiot are you?

end game spoilers??? REALLY? can we get a perma ban please?

I was just about to read his post when I saw yours, and for some reason read it instead. Thanks! I would have RAGED if I came across end-game spoilers 50 hours in, at the last chapter.

hypostatic said:
I was just about to read his post when I saw yours, and for some reason read it instead. Thanks! I would have RAGED if I came across end-game spoilers 50 hours in, at the last chapter.

yeah man I just started chapter 12 tonight... I am NOT happy right now.

Trickster

hypostatic said:

Me too, I'm at the actual last boss atm, just taking a break from playing, fuck I would have raged hard :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom