• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanille

Braz the Mad said:
I wasn't entirely disappointed with the game, I just wish the toughest thing in it was something cooler than a big dinosaur that casts ultima for no apparent reason. Basically it seems like the game devs were like "oh yeah, a challenge, um take that big thing that looks cool and give it a more powerful AOE. Awesome! Aaaaaand done!"

1260994859138.jpg

If only...

Rahxephon91 said:
Yeah the fact that gaining roles outside of your main 3 isn't rewarding is a real poor choice. I can't really experiment with the characters. I wanted to make Light a Sentinel as that made more sense then her being a medic but screw that idea.

From what I've read, Light makes for the best sentinel post-game.

flyover

AwakenedCloud said:
From what I've read, Light makes for the best sentinel post-game.
I think the official guide says that she's a pretty crappy sentinel. But she'd be useful as one, for my preferred party (Light, Fang, and Hope). I'd love to try a paradigm with Light (Sen), Fang (Sab), Hope (Syn) as a starting paradigm against certain tough creatures.

Cep

Banned
Zoe said:
Yet doing enough marks in XII to get to Gilgamesh wasn't?

You mis-understand, I did not have to grind at all to be able to do any of those marks in FFXII.

This is all the while allowing me to approach them any way I choose.

In XIII, doing certain missions without grinding your ass off will get you destroyed. And then there is the Death spam...

C.T.

I have got a quick question. Someone posted a really good FF XIII site with strategies for difficult bosses and accessory lists. Somehow I didn't bookmark the site. I want to finish the requirements for the treasure hunter trophy and the site was really convenient...

Any help?

Chris R

Westonian said:
Sazh Adamantoise technique.

Pre-requisites:
Sazh:
Level 4 role of Ravager maxed (Cold Blooded skill)
Strength > 1200 (use accs. if neccessary)
Procyons or Betelgeuse Customs (Stagger Maintenance boost makes the battle easier)

Snow:

Fang

Paradigms:
Default - Bully (Sazh Syn - Snow Com - Fang Sab)
Cerberus (Com - Com- Com)
Cerberus (Com - Com - Com)
Aggression (Rav - Com - Com)
Smart Bomb (Rav - Rav - Sab)

Walkthrough:

1. As soon as you enter the battle have Sazy summon. (Press Select to skip the super long intro).

2 .Sazh should be Syn and have him cast Bravery and Haste on himself

3. Shift to Cerberus and have Sazh Blitz twice (this will keep the chain from falling)

4. Shift to Aggression and have Sazh cast Cold Blooded

5. Cast Cold Blooded again

6. Switch to Smart Bomb and cast Cold Blooded

7. Cast Cold Blooded.

8. By this time your Eidolon should be retired. Switch to Bully and cast Haste and Bravery on Fang.

9. Cast Haste and Bravery on Snow.

10. Switch to Aggression and cast Cold Blooded one more time. This should stagger the turtle.

11. Switch Cerberus and Blitz twice

12. Blitz twice again.

13. Switch to your other Cerberus and repeat the double Blitz pattern.

He should be dead by now, and if you time everything right it should take ~2:00

This strategy assumes you know how the ATB replenish works with every other shift, and how to cancel/shift at the end of the last attack/animation to avoid the shift animation. If you lose your way, just restart the battle. It will take a few tries to memorize the pattern, but once you get it down you'll be on cruise control for the whole battle.

There's a video here that is a slight variation of my technique (which I think works better).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tUjF09FCjY
Weapon suggestions for Snow/Fang? I want to try this out in a bit :D

Choopy

Neo Member
Well right now Light's STR is higher than Snows. I have her Tier 3 weapon.
If you're talking base stats, then maybe... I guess... Otherwise I see no problems switching in Light.

desverger

Mission 51, Attacus.. GAHH :lol

Just got doomed, I think I'll need to time my shifts with his special attacks, since he seems to clear his debuffs. And bring Snow out of his cage to get beat on :p

All I'm wondering though, he has 3 "forms", are they time or health based?

Zoe

desverger said:
Mission 51, Attacus.. GAHH :lol

Just got doomed, I think I'll need to time my shifts with his special attacks, since he seems to clear his debuffs. And bring Snow out of his cage to get beat on :p

All I'm wondering though, he has 3 "forms", are they time or health based?

health

Exhumed

Oh man, bad night of turtle farming. 3 ingots, 0 traps, and about 25 turtles.

Managing to kill the bastards in 1 min 10 secs with Sahz/Fang/Light, Aegisol, and a summon, but having lame drops. Rush through summon, RAV/SAB/RAV till 999%, then COM/COM/COM burn. Sahz has to be blitzing (which is why I take control) to do enough damage. Fang/Light have over 2500 strength and Sahz was sitting at 1750. Very effective for me and much more reliable than death :lol

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Cep said:
You mis-understand, I did not have to grind at all to be able to do any of those marks in FFXII.

This is all the while allowing me to approach them any way I choose.

In XIII, doing certain missions without grinding your ass off will get you destroyed. And then there is the Death spam...

I think you got the two games mixed up.
There is a Hunt run on youtube one someone who beat all of them without upgrading any of his weapons or getting the last tier of the crystarium.

KingJ2002 said:
I really cant say too much good on the gameplay either... the core battle system needs to be refined (the delay in switching paradigms is awful), the lack of a true open world annoyed me... I mean for there's too many areas i cant go back to
(and the damn owl plane was such a tease)
, the lack of being able to run from battles, the limited paradigm system, the crystarium inconsistencies... meh.. I cant see myself grinding for better weapons and going through the missions. I just wanted this to end... luckily i rented this from gamefly so it's going right back

You could run from battles, hit pause & retry.
There was no delay from Paradigm switching if you were using the trick.

Cep

Banned
FTWer said:
I think you got the two games mixed up.
There is a Hunt run on youtube one someone who beat all of them without upgrading any of his weapons or getting the last tier of the crystarium.

Yeah, except there is still the issue of Death spam and generally small pool of strategies to do anything.

Not to mention that people like that are what we call outliers. I mean, there are those in 12 that did runs where they did not use the boards at all, same for X.

Unlike most people here, my actual biggest issue with the game is pulse. I think it is a monotonous mess.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Is there a decent guide on where to find all the Cie'th Stones? I'm kind of "stuck" right now, without knowing what to do.

Should I complete all the missions and then proceed to do the Treasure Hunter trophy?

jiggle

Brazil said:
Is there a decent guide on where to find all the Cie'th Stones? I'm kind of "stuck" right now, without knowing what to do.

Should I complete all the missions and then proceed to do the Treasure Hunter trophy?

1) press SQUARE twice to bring up mission list, then press RIGHT once and it will show u the location of their respective cie'th stones

2) The two are kinda related. To get Treasure Hunter, you'll need a LOT of gils. Which requires a LOT of farming of turtles. Finishing all missions will turn most of the turtles into a MUCH harder version, making farming inefficient.

IMO, it's better to finish ALL but 1 mission (any mission)
Only do that last mission after you have acquired/upgraded all your items except for those that requires DARK MATTER (which drops from the harder version of adamanchelids)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
jiggle said:
1) press SQUARE twice to bring up mission list, then press RIGHT once and it will show u the location of their respective cie'th stones
That only shows the missions I've already found the Cie'th Stones for, and it doesn't work perfectly for half the missions, since they aren't on the main Pulse area.

jiggle said:
2) The two are kinda related. To get Treasure Hunter, you'll need a LOT of gils. Which requires a LOT of farming of turtles. Finishing all missions will turn most of the turtles into a MUCH harder version, making farming inefficient.

IMO, it's better to finish ALL but 1 mission (any mission)
Only do that last mission after you have acquired/upgraded all your items except for those that requires DARK MATTER (which drops from the harder version of adamanchelids)
Ok, thanks.

Cep said:
Yeah, except there is still the issue of Death spam and generally small pool of strategies to do anything.

Not to mention that people like that are what we call outliers. I mean, there are those in 12 that did runs where they did not use the boards at all, same for X.

Unlike most people here, my actual biggest issue with the game is pulse. I think it is a monotonous mess.

Why is the death spam bothering you? You're not forced to do it, and it's hardly a convenient or efficient way of playing (despite neochu).

Strategy pool is small? There are always tons of different solutions to most of the enemies. But I'm just generally loving the battle system. It feels fast and exciting to me. Even after more than 100 hours of playtime. The balancing work that was necessary to create it must have been insane.

Agreed on Pulse though, it's a lot of wasted potential.

Cep

Banned
schennmu said:
Why is the death spam bothering you? You're not forced to do it, and it's hardly a convenient or efficient way of playing (despite neochu).

Strategy pool is small? There are always tons of different solutions to most of the enemies. But I'm just generally loving the battle system. It feels fast and exciting to me. Even after more than 100 hours of playtime. The balancing work that was necessary to create it must have been insane.

Agreed on Pulse though, it's a lot of wasted potential.

I am sure it was, shame that any ideal of balance was thrown out the window as soon as you hit the post-game (this ignoring some of the more inelegant solutions to help 'balance').

Also, death-spam bothers me because proc-ing should never be a valid strategy, and definitely not against as so many of the game's enemies.

Zoe

Cep said:
Also, death-spam bothers me because proc-ing should never be a valid strategy, and definitely not against as so many of the game's enemies.

So many? It's really only necessary against Neochu. Anything else is just abuse.

Zoe said:
So many? It's really only necessary against Neochu. Anything else is just abuse.
Eh, it's awfully helpful against Adamantoise when you're not leveled enough to beat it yet (and since you basically need CPx2 and/or lots of gil/traps to beat the toughest enemies in the game, most people will be required to use it at some point). I've said it before, but FF13 has a deliciously smooth power/difficulty curve up until the postgame, when suddenly you get the rug pulled out from under you if you want to pursue Adamantoise or many of the high-level marks. DLC could help that issue a LOT.

Zoe

badcrumble said:
Eh, it's awfully helpful against Adamantoise when you're not leveled enough to beat it yet (and since you basically need CPx2 and/or lots of gil/traps to beat the toughest enemies in the game, most people will be required to use it at some point).

I think people are really exaggerating the necessity of traps and gil. I've completed all but one mission without any ultimate weapons or upgraded accessories, and it's a breeze taking down one of them using the Fang/Light/Hope party.

Yes, you'll need them for all the trophies, but certainly not to beat all of the enemies.

Finally beat the game today at 51 hours with Lightning/Sazh/Fang, with about 30 missions done, second tier maxed weapons, and only 5 hours of real grinding...

End-game spoilers:

I'm not quite sure what to make of the entire experience. On the one hand, the graphics and music were so incredible that I can't bring myself to think FF13 is anything but a technical marvel. Add to that an incredibly fun battle system, which also happens to now be my favourite of the franchise... Unfortunately, I have mixed feelings about the story. While the setting, background, and details are all there, it got a little muddled towards the end, and I didn't at all feel satisfied. What's worse, the only character I really liked (Fang), turned to crystal, for reasons and in a way I'm not sure I understand. I'm also still sore about the lack of mini-games, sidequests, and towns. YES, I like towns.

I'd still give the game 8/10, but the narrative really should have been looked over by a fiction editor or something.

For the record, from PS era on: FF9 > FF7 > FF12 > FF13 = FF8 > FF10

So it is a bad thing now that you need some grinding to beat the toughest enemies in FF? Hasn't it always been like that? Good luck beating dark bestias or advanced hunts in X/XII ...

I love to grind in FF while listening to music or watching videos :D

Zoe said:
I think people are really exaggerating the necessity of traps and gil. I've completed all but one mission without any ultimate weapons or upgraded accessories, and it's a breeze taking down one of them using the Fang/Light/Hope party.

Yes, you'll need them for all the trophies, but certainly not to beat all of the enemies.

This pretty much. I'm only doing it because I want to get the most out of the game and also the best possible party.

Cep said:
I am sure it was, shame that any ideal of balance was thrown out the window as soon as you hit the post-game (this ignoring some of the more inelegant solutions to help 'balance').

I thought the balancing was damn good. But if you don't want to grind at all to kill even the toughest mobs... This might be the wrong game for you.

And death spamming is horribly boring and frustrating. If people really want to do it, fine with me :lol

Zoe said:

I agree with the difficulty curve. I think it's perfect the way it is. I was able to complete just about every mission without upgrading weapons or accessories. You can definitely beat every mission with just tier 2 weapons.

Using shrouds and summons, it can be a bit easy IMO.

Cep

Banned
schennmu said:
So it is a bad thing now that you need some grinding to beat the toughest enemies in FF? Hasn't it always been like that? Good luck beating dark bestias or advanced hunts in X/XII ...

I love to grind in FF while listening to music or watching videos :D

This pretty much. I'm only doing it because I want to get the most out of the game and also the best possible party.

I thought the balancing was damn good. But if you don't want to grind at all to kill even the toughest mobs... This might be the wrong game for you.

And death spamming is horribly boring and frustrating. If people really want to do it, fine with me :lol

As I mentioned when I first posted about it, it is my personal policy not to grind.

I find it a massive bonus when devs reward skillful play and not time spent. With enough skill, you can beat some of the toughest enemies in many of the games in the series(the ones I care about anyway) with hardly any grinding and with an acceptable level of frustration.

Perhaps further down the line I will find this to be the case for FF13, but because of the way the battle system is structured and balanced, I find this unlikely.

Trickster

badcrumble said:
Hopefully some DLC is in development.

Man I'd really love them making a mission pack dlc. More missions with though enemies would be sweet, they'd just need to make unique skins for them ( I'm looking at you, undying flying ciet'h thingy )

desverger

Zoe said:

Thanks, will give it a new try tonight!

And about Traps, I've only gotten one in my game, hasn't really slowed me down one bit - currently 86% done through all the missions.. will have to see if I can finish with one ultimate weapon though :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any suggested equipment for Lightning/Hope/Fang for Mission 64?

jiggle

ULTROS! said:
Any suggested equipment for Lightning/Hope/Fang for Mission 64?

capped sylphied rings
capped entite rings
capped -damage rings
-magic damage ring good too

the less you have to cure the better, so stack on the defenses
don't bother with offense accessories

Cynar

firehawk12 said:
MasterLL's strategies are pretty good, but you can modify for your own characters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyOYB57fcqk

Buffs/debuffs + poison. A SEN/SEN/SEN paradigm is a must for his ultimate attack, and then just heal and buff/debuff.

I did it without a sen/sen/sen, was sen/med/med. Took me 28 mins and a lot of phoenix downs :lol with fang/hope/vanille When I go back to 5 star it you better believe I'll be prepared next time

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cynar said:
I did it without a sen/sen/sen, was sen/med/med. Took me 28 mins and a lot of phoenix downs :lol with fang/hope/vanille When I go back to 5 star it you better believe I'll be prepared next time

Damn son, I would have just restarted. :lol

For enemies with boss attacks, it seems that SEN/SEN/SEN is just better than any SEN/MED combination... especially since your healers will bite it if they don't have high HP. Just sitting in that paradigm is enough to absorb a lot of the damage.

Darkatomz

YES!!!!

I actually got a trap an hour ago from farming turtles, and I didn't even kill it that many times! No more than 12 maybe? Got about 4 ingots out of it too. I have just enough money to triple up my traps, but I'll probably do it once I get enough gil to triple up and max out my main party's weapons.

On another note, would it be faster to buy Dark Matter, or farm for it some way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom