• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akainu

-COOLIO- said:
ya know, did it annoy anyone else how lights mouth was always slightly agape? i guess its a sexy look but when she does it constantly it makes her seem mentally deficient.
Sheva's was like that to in RE5. :lol

Sumidor

So.. I'm on the 2nd disc, and I just have to ask, before I keep going...

Well I ever get to choose who I want in my party? I know i'm not even halfway or whatever, but I need to know there's light at the end of the tunnel.. I hate these horrible teams they make me use..

Akainu

Fimbulvetr said:
At first I thought that was something Lightning just wears(because she's dumb or something), but then every other female PSICOM unit also had short-shorts.

I facepalm'd.
I thought you were kidding.

psicomf.png

Really?
2wqz5th.png

Sumidor said:
So.. I'm on the 2nd disc, and I just have to ask, before I keep going...

Well I ever get to choose who I want in my party? I know i'm not even halfway or whatever, but I need to know there's light at the end of the tunnel.. I hate these horrible teams they make me use..
Chapter 10, which is about 20 hours in.
Although there is a brief and cruel tease in chapter 7, where the game gives you 3 party members before quickly snatching them away again and sticking you with Vanille & Sazh. You don't get to choose at that point, but at least there's more than two of 'em!

In response to the Dark Matter Question -

1 needed for a weapon, 1 needed for ribbon to super ribbon, 1 for the hp accessory last upgrade, 1 for the str accessory last upgrade, one for the int accessory last upgrade, might be 1 more but not sure.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
A question about the Treasure Hunter trophy - do you have to have every possible accessory in your inventory at once or do you just need to have owned each at some point?

Speaking of NORA.

What was with the game intro where
Gadot pulls a gun on Snow and just stops. That was almost adequate writing, then they go "lol kidding".

StuBurns

Banned
Speaking of NORA.

In the game these is this guy/girl with blue hair, but I don't remember him/her from the demo. Did a character get a major redesign?

Dresden

Fimbulvetr said:
Speaking of NORA.

Gadot pulls a gun on Snow and just stops. That was almost adequate writing, then they go "lol kidding".
The game does that a lot. It makes you think for a second that things might actually get good for a bit, then it goes 'lol no' and slaps you in the face.

StuBurns said:
Speaking of NORA.

In the game these is this guy/girl with blue hair, but I don't remember him/her from the demo. Did a character get a major redesign?

Nope.

Completely new character that wasn't in the demo.

Dresden said:
The game does that a lot. It makes you think for a second that things might actually get good for a bit, then it goes 'lol no' and slaps you in the face.

FFXIII: Wasted potential in a nutshell.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
140.85 said:
A question about the Treasure Hunter trophy - do you have to have every possible accessory in your inventory at once or do you just need to have owned each at some point?

Just owned at some point.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:

When we saw it in previews, and thought it was real, I actually thought it was pretty cliche.

Little did I know that it would have been an improvement over the reality.

Cep said:
When we saw it in previews, and thought it was real, I actually thought it was pretty cliche.

Little did I know that it would have been an improvement over the reality.

It would have added to the deconstruction.

Fimbulvetr said:
Speaking of NORA
Let's not and say we did. I don't want to have to think about those character designs ever again.

140.85 said:
The latter. Better hope you didn't sell those elemental rings, though...

Halfway through the game at the part where Sazh and Vanille fight these
Water and Grass treestomp things...
. Let me start of saying I REALLY hate the Battle System in this game. I miss being able to fucking MOVE on my own like XII. Who's fucking bright idea was that if the leader dies it's game over? However, I like the idea of the crystarium. Very addicting and easy to use unlike the system used in XII. So far its a 5/10, would be lower if not for the story, which surprised me by despite generally unlikeable characters I still wanted to see the outcome. Overall, I just don't have fun playing the game.

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Speaking of NORA.

Are you serious? It does happen in the game. It happens immediately after the
bridge falls

Edit: Nevermind. i misunderstood you

SquallASF said:
I considered doing that and I am going for the achievement. People try to say it's a waste of money but I don't see how because you have to get ultimate weapon for everyone anyway. I figured I could do it for Vanille's weapon and dismantle it since I don't use her and therefore, don't care about 'keeping' her ultimate. I would still need two more traps unless I do the dismantle trick with a second weapon. I've heard though that you can just upgrade get all the accessories and then sell all of them to get the gil to upgrade weapons, which gets you the achievement and then you can reload.

It IS a waste of money. You need to spend 1,5 mill just to create two more traps if I remember correctly. This doesn't give you the ultimate weapons yet which are very expensive to create.

The traps will come sooner or later. I have six now, but I still need A LOT more money for the treasure hunter trophy.

Dresden said:
Just keep it simple and keep Fang, Vanille, and Sazh. Make sure Troy Baker voices Vanille.

Nah, Nolan North pls. Sad thing is, this would actually make her LESS ridiculous!

sam27368 said:
Platinum, at last. Back on the shelf you go FF13. FOREVER.

Man, I'd really love to play through this game again because it has so many good bits, unfortunately I don't think I could bring myself to get through the bad bits again to get to the good bits.

Congrats, I'm working on that right now. Still enjoying it, even though treasure hunter is insane.

StuBurns said:
Speaking of NORA.

In the demo the part with the Blue Haired Tranny is replaced with a normal looking cocoon resident.

If I remember correctly, there was a interview sometime after the demo came out just saying they didn't want to reveal the last member of Team Nora.

jiggle

schennmu said:
Just beat my first Shao Long Gui. Holy fuck ...

I will have to rethink my strategy completely :lol

try this, worked really well for me

Light/Hope(or van)/Fang

everyone with genji gloves
fang with 3 capped power gloves (then kaiser gloves)

syn/med/sab
rav/med/rav
com/med/com
sen/sen/sen
com/com/com
rav/rav/com (or rav/rav/rav)

start off with syn/med/sab
fully buff everyone, with enfire being the most crucial
fully debuff shaolong gui (slow is especially important)

switch to sen/sen/sen whenever he uses ULTIMA or BAY
yes, even bay
since chances are you will be stunned and need to wait for a stomp, ultima, or quake to break you out of it
while in sen/sen/sen, pop a potion if needed, which will cure you for 1000-2000 without a doctor's code
you can use item even when all 3 characters can't do anything

once buffed and debuffed, switch to com/med/com for 1 round
then switch to rav/med/rav
and when you're able to, rav/rav/com (or rav/rav/rav)

once he's staggered, just jump over to com/com/com and finish him off
with enfire on lightning and fang, he'll fall very quickly

switch to com/med/com when cure is needed, but make sure to let fang continue to pummel on it. she was hitting 250k per hit with 3xpower gloves iirc

Fimbulvetr said:
Nolan can be Rygdea.
After the dinner scene in Resonance of Fate I think it'll be impossible to ever take the Nathan Drake voice seriously again. No, Vanille can be voiced by Claudia Black and Rygdea will be voiced by Ben Browder and the pilot (Sazh?) will be portrayed as a muppet, and everyone in the universe except for the main character will have an Aussie accent this time 'round.

Cep said:
In all fairness, I thought the same for FF12 as well.
In some ways, but the more I think about it the more this game makes me appreciate FF12, which was at the very least competently designed, rich in its world, and robust in content, and it excelled in some areas even if it failed to fulfill its full potential in other ways. In this game, it just feels like nearly every aspect except for the basic foundation of the battle system falls short, and even that could have been tweaked and/or made more robust in order for it to stand up better against the harder (read: higher HP) optional fights and such. And where the story falls apart in 12 sort of makes sense because Matsuno quit halfway through development; this game has no such excuse, just a lot of poorly structured flashbacks before they remember that there's supposed to be a plot and stuff.

Which is all weird for me, because I've kind of been on and off the hate train for 12 since it released, but there you go.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jiggle said:
try this, worked really well for me

Light/Hope(or van)/Fang

everyone with genji gloves
fang with 3 capped power gloves (then kaiser gloves)

syn/med/sab
rav/med/rav
com/med/com
sen/sen/sen
com/com/com
rav/rav/com (or rav/rav/rav)

start off with syn/med/sab
fully buff everyone, with enfire being the most crucial
fully debuff shaolong gui (slow is especially important)

switch to sen/sen/sen whenever he uses ULTIMA or BAY
yes, even bay
since chances are you will be stunned and need to wait for a stomp, ultima, or quake to break you out of it
while in sen/sen/sen, pop a potion if needed, which will cure you for 1000-2000 without a doctor's code
you can use item even when all 3 characters can't do anything

once buffed and debuffed, switch to com/med/com for 1 round
then switch to rav/med/rav
and when you're able to, rav/rav/com (or rav/rav/rav)

once he's staggered, just jump over to com/com/com and finish him off
with enfire on lightning and fang, he'll fall very quickly

switch to com/med/com when cure is needed, but make sure to let fang continue to pummel on it. she was hitting 250k per hit with 3xpower gloves iirc

The strategy I used was similar to this, except during my debuff phase I made sure to both slow and daze the turtle.

This then gives you the time to apply all your buffs in peace (and HEAL!!!!) before you wail at him. I still got spanked with Bay at times, but if that doesn't happen, you should be able to finish him off in a little over a minute.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've had a look at youtube and this strategy works pretty well:

syn/syn/med - fully buff
sab/sab/med - fully debuff
rav/rav/rav - stagger till 999%
com/com/rav (maybe switch to c/c/c, but hope is just about the magic, no?)
> use highwind with fang at some point and kill him.

edit: of course sen/sen/sen is a life guarantee.

Takes me around two minutes at the moment. Already got 2 dark matters :D

I can't stress enough how much I love the battle system in this game.

jiggle

schennmu said:
com/com/rav (maybe switch to c/c/c, but hope is just about the magic, no?)

Com has magic too (blink)
when staggered, hope and van does more damage on com/com/com than on rav
and with enfire, they may choose to do physical damage instead because it'll deal more damage

Cep

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The irony of people blaming Daisuke Watanabe for everything wrong with FFXIII is that he's one of 2 credited lead writers for FFXII.

I am not sure you understand irony.

Joei

When does the crystarium cap out? I'm at the start of chapter 13 when the ports open and have just been doing some missions. Do I need to progress any further in the story or does it open up some more after a certain mission? Or is it done for good?

Joei said:
When does the crystarium cap out? I'm at the start of chapter 13 when the ports open and have just been doing some missions. Do I need to progress any further in the story or does it open up some more after a certain mission? Or is it done for good?

It get's opened completely after the final boss.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Unknown Soldier said:
The irony of people blaming Daisuke Watanabe for everything wrong with FFXIII is that he's one of 2 credited lead writers for FFXII.

Yep, so perhaps Toriyama is at fault here.
And XII didn't get retarded story-wise until the end.

Kagari said:

I would also tend to believe that Motomu "HD Towns are haaaaaaaaaaaard" Toriyama should receive much more of the blame than Watanabe.

Cep

Banned
Kagari said:

Watenabe is definitely at fault when it comes to the writing.

In the past 10 years, the man has one (1) game to his name where the writing was not absolutely putrid: Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.

After that, just about every other project he has had a hand in writing has been utterly embarrassing.

And I say this not excluding FF12, that game had REALLY poor writing. The main difference between FF12 and FF13 is that FF12 had A.O. Smith(who makes everything better) and 13 had Toriyama(makes everything worse).

So yes, in a way it is Toriyama's fault that the writing is so poor, but he could not have done it without Watanabe.

Unknown Soldier said:
So we can also blame him for XII!

I want to know who came up with the scenario and who had a hard-on for Lost came up with the dumb flashback structure so that I can blame them for the terrible story. Watanabe, Toriyama, whomever.

Trickster

-COOLIO- said:
do you ever fight that giant lava titan thing you see eat the adamantoise when you first arrive on
pulse
?

As have been said nope, which is such a damn shame, it's like they made him just to tease you. Would have been so epic.

Edit - meh, you already said it yourself :p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've asked before but never got a reply... if I had an import version of XIII, would it load saves from my English version, or vice versa?

hamchan

Unknown Soldier said:
So I can blame him for why both FFXII and FFXIII have crap stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom