• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

lljride

That sucks astroturfing, I was holding my breath the whole time when I went back to talk to him for that trophy, I was so afraid it would either glitch out or I forgot something accidentally because that's a bitch. Wish I had a good suggestion for you dude, but hope it works out in the end :(

When I heard about the possibility of the glitch (even though I think Kagari is right and it wasn't in the US version) I still wasn't taking any chances. I was dying to see the themes while I was playing, but I didn't download or install any until I platinumed it. Made my Lightning theme a little sweeter though.

Hung Wei Lo said:
this is what I used to check, and double check for that cursed trophy :lol (I guess it wouldn't hurt to re-post it as well) hopefully it'll save you from wasting time re-farming

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tGk0t9IGhI8Ge3MWhvTxZOw

good luck with it dude!

thanks, i'll use that.

but fucking hell, i looked at another list a few minutes ago and noticed that only ONE weapon name didnt look 100% familiar, Sazh's Canopus AMPs... so i went and upgraded that. again, nope, that wasnt it..... :( twice already i thought i had figured out what i missed... argh!

this really is not fun. i want to kill that Bhakti so bad now.

so on my older save i checked that i really do have every single accessory.

the only possibility is that i messed up the weapon upgrades somehow.. but i dont understand how. what kind of screw ups can you do with them? can anyone give me good advice on how to go about upgrading every weapon, so you wont miss any..? i just dont know what i could have done wrong!

it is alright to sell the weapons once they are 2nd tier? and they dont have to be maxed right at 2nd tier, right..?

(every character has their best weapon already, farmed the 6 necessary Traps)

Lince

Banned
astroturfing said:
it is alright to sell the weapons once they are 2nd tier? and they dont have to be maxed right at 2nd tier, right..?

(every character has their best weapon already, farmed the 6 necessary Traps)

right, only to 2nd tier with no further upgrading, that's enough (that's how I did it) as long as every character has a top-tier weapon. You probably missed buying/upgrading one of those weapon that you can buy late in the game, check your save files and the weapon stores.

Hey astro, check on Lights weapons. I think, not positive, you may gen one of her tier two weapons but have to buy the tier 1? I was starting to check off my list the other day and I remember not being certain I ever owned one of her tier 1s. I may be wrong, but I figured anything to help ya resolve this.

SonComet

Is it common to have the game glitch and not give a trophy after certain chapters? I'm at work right now and can't remember the exact chapter, but I don't have the one for completing 8 or 9 and I am on chapter 13.

Jtrizzy

I know this is going to sound crazy to some, but I've never played an RPG before, even though I've been gaming since the NES. I play tons of games in different genres, but never got into RPG's for some reason.

Anyway, I just got this game today for PS3. Are there any tips or help you guys could give someone who has never even played an RPG or any Final Fantasy game?

is there any sort of online component or dlc I need? Pre order bullshit and the like.

Shadow780

Jtrizzy said:
I know this is going to sound crazy to some, but I've never played an RPG before, even though I've been gaming since the NES. I play tons of games in different genres, but never got into RPG's for some reason.

Anyway, I just got this game today for PS3. Are there any tips or help you guys could give someone who has never even played an RPG or any Final Fantasy game?

is there any sort of online component or dlc I need? Pre order bullshit and the like.

stick with Auto-Battle if you're unsure what to do.

For the many faults this game have, it's very newcomer-friendly to a ridiculous level, you'll learn almost everything via in-game tutorial. The game holds players' hands very very closely.

One thing you might want to keep in mind,
don't upgrade weapons/accessories until much later.

Oyashiro

Guys, I could really use some help from the experts. I'm in Chapter 11, boss fight at the end of the chapter. (AKA
Barthandelus
) I cannot for the life of me beat this son of a bitch. I've tried 5 times now and wasted well over 3 hours doing so. It just seems impossible.

I can usually get him down to like 10% of his HP (which in itself takes like 30 mins at LEAST), but then he casts Doom on me and it's all over. I either don't kill him quickly enough or, in an attempt to kill him quickly, I won't have enough time to heal my team mates, they die, then I die.

A little background on my set-up: I'm using Lightning, Hope, and Fang. I have reached the upgrade crystal on all of them for all 3 of their main classes and got most of the important crystals (skills, HP upgrades, stuff like that). Lightning and Hope both have tier 2 weapons in the mid 20s, and Fang's weapon is not upgraded at all because I can't figure out which one would be best for her.

I checked other strategies and they basically all say the same thing. Use Diversity for 2 rounds, then switch to the RAV/SEN/RAV one (something Tower?) until he gets staggered. Then I either switch to COM/SEN/RAV or COM/COM/RAV (I've tried both) for a while, then Combat Medic when needed. When stagger wears off, I just repeat the whole thing.

Is there anything else I can do? Or is there a better strategy? I get frustrated very easily, and this is really pissing me off. I've given up on it for the night, but hopefully I can get through it tomorrow if you guys help me out :D Thank you!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Does the boss cast a super spell? I don't remember anymore. :lol

If the boss does, have a paradigm set up to SEN/SEN/SEN, then if the boss starts casting it, switch to it quickly then MED/MED/MED or something that has med.

Finally beat this thing. The clock says something like 60 hours, but I'd bet that its closer to 50 since I'd leave it unpaused alot. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said unfortunately.

Put me in the camp that overall enjoyed the game - but felt it had a lot of areas that could use improvement. The pacing in particular felt off. While I appreciated the open endedness of Ch 11 it just really threw everything off. Having a pointer to the mission markers would have been much appreciated instead of having to check everything online. And even then, once I had completed enough - I was so out of the loop on the story that the last two chapters didn't really have the impact that I would have expected.

Also - the last two chapters just took FOREVER. Mid way through Ch 12 I was ready for the game to be over. And then Ch 13 hits with its boss gauntlet and incredibly uneven stacks of mobs. Ugh. Thank god I had some Deception shrouds left and could skip some of the fights.

Still, at the end of the day I'd say it was worth playing. Just largely uneven and it kind of overstayed its welcome.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Try Con Catalog + Collector's Catalog.

Yeah, they're really really hard to come by.

jiggle

1 of that catalog would've been enough, since they don't stack
since you got a trapz already, easier to just grow it into 3 than to farm more

it took me around 70 kill to get 1, so 25 is not that bad

Meier

jiggle said:
1 of that catalog would've been enough, since they don't stack
since you got a trapz already, easier to just grow it into 3 than to farm more

it took me around 70 kill to get 1, so 25 is not that bad
Bleh, why wouldn't they stack?! Dumb. I've only gotten a few ingots too so I guess at least swapping in a coll will help there perhaps. Or would increasing my chances at an ingot mean I decrease my trap chances?

I turned my trap into a Kain's Lance for Fang.

Lightning

Banned
Oyashiro said:
Guys, I could really use some help from the experts. I'm in Chapter 11, boss fight at the end of the chapter. (AKA
Barthandelus
) I cannot for the life of me beat this son of a bitch. I've tried 5 times now and wasted well over 3 hours doing so. It just seems impossible.

I can usually get him down to like 10% of his HP (which in itself takes like 30 mins at LEAST), but then he casts Doom on me and it's all over. I either don't kill him quickly enough or, in an attempt to kill him quickly, I won't have enough time to heal my team mates, they die, then I die.

A little background on my set-up: I'm using Lightning, Hope, and Fang. I have reached the upgrade crystal on all of them for all 3 of their main classes and got most of the important crystals (skills, HP upgrades, stuff like that). Lightning and Hope both have tier 2 weapons in the mid 20s, and Fang's weapon is not upgraded at all because I can't figure out which one would be best for her.

I checked other strategies and they basically all say the same thing. Use Diversity for 2 rounds, then switch to the RAV/SEN/RAV one (something Tower?) until he gets staggered. Then I either switch to COM/SEN/RAV or COM/COM/RAV (I've tried both) for a while, then Combat Medic when needed. When stagger wears off, I just repeat the whole thing.

Is there anything else I can do? Or is there a better strategy? I get frustrated very easily, and this is really pissing me off. I've given up on it for the night, but hopefully I can get through it tomorrow if you guys help me out :D Thank you!
All I did for this battle was always have Vanille place Deprotect and Deshell on the boss. I upgraded both of my Royal Armlets to max this will allow you to only need one healer.

After the boss was debuffed, I switched to Com/Rav/Rav and wailed away for about 2 cycles, then switched to Com/Med/Rav until he was staggered, then switched back to my original setup and wailed away on him again. While under Deprotect/Deshell he will be taking huge damage at this point and you should've taken around 25% of his HP away. It was during this stagger that I started facing the heads which cause status effects, other then Daze, I ignored them but switched to a Med/Med/Med combo for exceptionally quick healing for everyone when required. I then maintained the same strategy until it was dead but spent majority of my time in Com/Med/Rav.

Provided you keep this boss under Deprotect/Deshell at all times he falls quite quickly and you will never see Doom. You only see Doom if you are taking too long.

Please note, Vanille should always be your first choice medic.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lightning said:
I've searched everywhere and I can't find one. Is there a high quality picture of
Orphan's Final form?
anywhere? I need one.
you could always take a look at the enemy intel screen and take a pic from there.

probably a worthless bit of advice if you need a HQ version.

Footos22

I managed to get everyones ultimate weapons last night. :D

and using my acccesory checklist i upgraded everything with a perskovite, (god, you need alot of those) all i need now is a wurtzite bangle, a pair of kaiser knuckles and a magistral crest as i got my super ribbon last night. so 4 more dark materia if you included one of sazhs weapons. the shao long guis seemed to drop it pretty easily though so no worries there.

sold everything i didnt want on a different save, might have to go and grind some more stupid admanatoise again for plat ingots so i can buy plenty of ultracompact reactors and more goddamn uranites and perskovite or is there an easier place to farm them?

im at 83 hours, so hopefully i'll be done by 90

i think i might have ocd on this one

Footos22

darkwings said:
Man
Nautilus
is like the biggest wasted potential ever. I thought of the Gold Saucer when I entered, just a pile of nothing.

OOOO some chocobos and some cool looking stands.

"MOVE ALONG SON"

j-wood

Can someone explain to me the turtle situation? Which one needs to be farmed for ingots in traps?

There are like 3 different turtles, the adamantortoise, the adamanchelid, the adamantoise, and then the long gui.

Also, at what point do the turtles all become long gui? I don't need to hit that point right? I'm wanting to go do the mission so I can get the growth egg, but I don't think I need to trigger that event yet.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
j-wood said:
Can someone explain to me the turtle situation? Which one needs to be farmed for ingots in traps?

There are like 3 different turtles, the adamantortoise, the adamanchelid, the adamantoise, and then the long gui.

Also, at what point do the turtles all become long gui? I don't need to hit that point right? I'm wanting to go do the mission so I can get the growth egg, but I don't think I need to trigger that event yet.
If I'm not mistaken, you need to complete all the 64 missions for the Long Guis and Shaolong Guis to appear.

Drops are (from weakest to strongest):
Adamanchelid - Gold Dust, Scarletite
Adamantortoise - Platinum Ingot (25%), Trapezohedron (1%)
Adamantoise - Platinum Ingot (25%), Trapezohedron (1%)
Shaolong Gui - Gold Nugget (25%), Dark Matter (5%)
Long Gui - Platinum Ingot, Trapezohedron (the Wiki has no percentages)

Footos22

Brazil said:
If I'm not mistaken, you need to complete all the 64 missions for the Long Guis and Shaolong Guis to appear.

Drops are (from weakest to strongest):
Adamanchelid - Gold Dust, Scarletite
Adamantortoise - Platinum Ingot (25%), Trapezohedron (1%)
Adamantoise - Platinum Ingot (25%), Trapezohedron (1%)
Shaolong Gui - Gold Nugget (25%), Dark Matter (5%)
Long Gui - Platinum Ingot, Trapezohedron (the Wiki has no percentages)

Once you accept mission 64 the long guis/ shaolong gui's appear.
so as long as you don't accept it your good to go

not that it really matters, its quicker just to farm the eden admantoise.

Zoe

De4th Strike said:
Once you accept mission 64 the long guis/ shaolong gui's appear.
so as long as you don't accept it your good to go

No, you can beat 64 without anything happening. It's completing the Titan circle that triggers it.

desverger said:
Ugh, Mission 62 is so much pain :lol

Not really sure how to tackle it. I just upgraded 9 witch bracelets to star level, so I have a whopping 58% magic resist on each char.. lets see how that works out.

Any tips?

Use an Aegisol and Fortisol. Start the battle in Sab Sab Sab and cast slow (a.i. will also throw imperil on) one of them and as soon as slow sticks, immediately switch to the other enemy and do the same. Once they've been applied, switch to Rav Rav Rav to stagger and then COM COM RAV or COM COM COM to kill. After that one is dead, it's a simple matter to take out the other.

BeeDog

SquallASF said:
Use an Aegisol and Fortisol. Start the battle in Sab Sab Sab and cast slow (a.i. will also throw imperil on) one of them and as soon as slow sticks, immediately switch to the other enemy and do the same. Once they've been applied, switch to Rav Rav Rav to stagger and then COM COM RAV or COM COM COM to kill. After that one is dead, it's a simple matter to take out the other.

Problem is, COM COM COM makes each character attack the enemies randomly, and not necessarily the one the party leader targets. I'd say it's better if you have a RAV COM RAV setup, with COM being Fang obviously since she hits the hardest.

Hung Wei Lo

De4th Strike said:
I managed to get everyones ultimate weapons last night. :D

and using my acccesory checklist i upgraded everything with a perskovite, (god, you need alot of those) all i need now is a wurtzite bangle, a pair of kaiser knuckles and a magistral crest as i got my super ribbon last night. so 4 more dark materia if you included one of sazhs weapons. the shao long guis seemed to drop it pretty easily though so no worries there.

sold everything i didnt want on a different save, might have to go and grind some more stupid admanatoise again for plat ingots so i can buy plenty of ultracompact reactors and more goddamn uranites and perskovite or is there an easier place to farm them?

im at 83 hours, so hopefully i'll be done by 90

i think i might have ocd on this one

You may get a couple more finishing some missions...as far as I know, the only other way is by running around with a chocobo and praying.

assuming you've upgraded the weapons already, you're probably better off with particle accelerators since most of the accessories don't require that much exp, and there's no point over-leveling ..seemed cheaper and went by quicker ..being lazy ftw!

ULTROS!

KZObsessed said:
Yes!!! Treasure hunter trophy! :D

That trophy took me 20 hours to get :x

desverger

I take my words back from Mission 62 being the most annoying. 64 DEFINITELY takes the prize.

I have 15k hp on every char, Wicked Whirl just kills 2 of my characters outright. I'm having 33% phys/mag resist and 40% wind resist on each char. I have a SEN/SEN/SEN paradigm. What the hell?

Any tips?

ULTROS!

desverger said:
I take my words back from Mission 62 being the most annoying. 64 DEFINITELY takes the prize.

I have 15k hp on every char, Wicked Whirl just kills 2 of my characters outright. I'm having 33% phys/mag resist and 40% wind resist on each char. I have a SEN/SEN/SEN paradigm. What the hell?

Any tips?

Tip ~ This boss is actually one of the lamest: All you need to do is poison him and equip crappy Level 1 equipment. Although I highly suggest you use Vanille as your leader and having the Malboro Wand at the most.

I only used 3 paradigms for that boss:

SAB/SEN/SEN
SEN/SEN/SEN
MED/MED/MED

Basically, poison the boss, then SEN/SEN/SEN. If he does impenetrable aura, heal yourself and/or ready up SAB/SEN/SEN. Then if he's launching Wicked Whirl, quickly go SEN/SEN/SEN.

You can beat him in 12-13 mins and 5 Star it. :D

Lince

Banned
KZObsessed said:
Yes!!! Treasure hunter trophy! :D

congrats, that trophy is a meta-game itself with all the guides and checking off stuff from lists :lol

so you joined our Platinum club already?

SquallASF said:

I'm stuck on the same mission, so thanks very much for your strategy on it.

justjohn

Someone please help I'm stuck :(

u
It's the part where you fight sazh's summon. I've tried everything and still can't get get even halfway until the timer runs out.
Whose fucking idea was it to make you fight your own summons and then put a fucking timer on it. It's nothing but pure fucking frustration and not much fucking fun.

justjohn said:
Someone please help I'm stuck :(

u
It's the part where you fight sazh's summon. I've tried everything and still can't get get even halfway until the timer runs out.
Whose fucking idea was it to make you fight your own summons and then put a fucking timer on it. It's nothing but pure fucking frustration and not much fucking fun.
Vannile on Sab with Szah on Rav. Vannile will put deshell on it. After that just rav it up and heal when needed.

it was a TITANIUM BANGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

g-o-d-d-a-m-n-i-t.

how did i miss it? i checked that i had all the accessories about 10 times. i guess my eyes somehow skipped over the lower level health accessories, assuming that of course i have had them. so remember people, dont forget all the bangles if you go for Treasure Hunter!

trophy was SO not worth it lol. way too frustrating dealing with all the variant upgrades etc... ah well, only 5-starring all the missions left, shouldnt be too hard with maxed characters and the Gold Watch. i think i'll actually enjoy it, after this nightmarish trophy.

Zoe

astroturfing said:
trophy was SO not worth it lol. way too frustrating dealing with all the variant upgrades etc... ah well, only 5-starring all the missions left, shouldnt be too hard with maxed characters and the Gold Watch. i think i'll actually enjoy it, after this nightmarish trophy.

I've actually found it's not so easy :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
astroturfing said:

g-o-d-d-a-m-n-i-t.

how did i miss it? i checked that i had all the accessories about 10 times. i guess my eyes somehow skipped over the lower level health accessories, assuming that of course i have had them. so remember people, dont forget all the bangles if you go for Treasure Hunter!

:lol :lol :lol Dude, what the fuck? A titanium bangle was it? The FIRST accessory-type?!

ULTROS!

astroturfing said:

g-o-d-d-a-m-n-i-t.

Congrats!

Well, repeating the non-5-star missions can get a bit boring though. Full of backtracking.

Treasure Hunter trophy is probably my least favorite trophy ever.

KZObsessed

Lince said:
congrats, that trophy is a meta-game itself with all the guides and checking off stuff from lists :lol

so you joined our Platinum club already?

Thanx!

Only thing left now is to 5 star all the missions. Already done it with half of them so shouldn't take too long but I think I'll leave it for a while.

Congratz astro

desverger

ULTROS! said:
tactics

Well, okay, I got him further - up to the point where he does a wicked whirl TWICE before going to his shell, before I can actually heal up from the previous attack. That's just stupid. Wicked whirl at 25% health isn't fun stuff.

Definitely gonna need more healing for this one. Too bad I can't bring Hope since he's dangling at a pitiful 11k hp.

ULTROS!

I'm thinking you need to have higher HPs. :p

Just remember, SEN/SEN/SEN is your friend for this boss.

Oh and the party I used was Vanille/Fang/Snow.

desverger

ULTROS! said:
I'm thinking you need to have higher HPs. :p

Just remember, SEN/SEN/SEN is your friend for this boss.

Oh and the party I used was Vanille/Fang/Snow.

Yeah, same party for me. I suppose Vanille not having 20k hp is what's killing me, since I need to control her manually to put poison quick. Both Fang and Snow are 20k+ hps.

Meh.

I wonder if sitting in Mediguard would actually save me when he does Wicked Whirl..

KZObsessed said:
Thanx!

Only thing left now is to 5 star all the missions. Already done it with half of them so shouldn't take too long but I think I'll leave it for a while.

Congratz astro

thanks heh, you too. we have the same situation, i got about half or more of the missions 5-starred already too. i'm a bit weary about going against the two Raktavijas again though...

Yoshichan said:
:lol :lol :lol Dude, what the fuck? A titanium bangle was it? The FIRST accessory-type?!

i think it was the one you could upgrade from a Silver Bangle... but i never did apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom