• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

I'm done with this game. Overall, I thought it was enjoyable entry. I would have loved more sidequests and the ultimate weapon grinding was just too much. It's almost as SE was inspired by MMO money farming.

I'm a bit bummed that I messed up with the Treasure Hunter trophy--I wanted the Fang XMB theme, dammit!

entrement said:
I'm a bit bummed that I messed up with the Treasure Hunter trophy--I wanted the Fang XMB theme, dammit!
The Fang XMB is the reward for the hardest trophy in the game. :-( Except for Platinum, the reward for which is... a Serah XMB theme. :lol

How did you mess up? Did you sell the elemental rings?

entremet

icarus-daedelus said:
The Fang XMB is the reward for the hardest trophy in the game. :-( Except for Platinum, the reward for which is... a Serah XMB theme. :lol

How did you mess up? Did you sell the elemental rings?
You got it. I also sold the charms, which breaks down into a rings.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
In desperation for the final trophy (Treasure Hunter), I sold majority of my accessories
but saved it in a 3rd save file!

Now all I need is 500k, 3 Dark Matters, and 45 ultrareactive compactors.

So I need around 3m. :(

Anyway easy way to get money besides farming from adamantoises?

This question is probably asked all the time, but how many missions should I do in ch.11 my first time through before progressing?

I've done 15 up to this point, and don't mind grinding more of them now if it will make a noticeable difference to my characters once I hit ch.12 and ch.13.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ULTROS! said:
In desperation for the final trophy (Treasure Hunter), I sold majority of my accessories
but saved it in a 3rd save file!

Now all I need is 500k, 3 Dark Matters, and 45 ultrareactive compactors.

So I need around 3m. :(

Anyway easy way to get money besides farming from adamantoises?

Naw, Plat Ingots are the best. You can farm Dark Matters as well, and you don't need the ultras for upgrading - when I did it, I was able to save money using the 10k mechanical components.

It's not a big difference, but saving 10k here, 10k there certainly helps.

CartridgeBlower said:
This question is probably asked all the time, but how many missions should I do in ch.11 my first time through before progressing?

I've done 15 up to this point, and don't mind grinding more of them now if it will make a noticeable difference to my characters once I hit ch.12 and ch.13.

You'll have to do up to 28 to get to the next chapter anyway, and there's a few that you just can't do without beating the chapter 11 boss and leveling up your Crystarium.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the only really shitty chapter to me was 10. so many copy and pasted areas.

I didn't mind Chapter 12 or the early two-person stuff. I skipped most of the battles in 13, it was fun as a boss rush of sorts. Some of the battles were just brutal, and I had maxed out my three roles to that point. Luckily, the last boss was reasonably fair.

eznark said:
I took a long break from the game but now I am back into it. Going through the tower at the start of 11. Man, I just cannot see how I am going to put twice as much time as I have into this game. That this is basically the halfway point is super disheartening.
you're more than three quarters of the way through.

Sydle

Has someone here explained the weapon upgrading? Can you point me to a post? I can't figure out which components help increase the boost effect and which components degrade it.

Raw64life

Finished the game in just under 57 hours. Thought the ending was pretty cool, and definitely enjoyed the game overall, although I wish the game would have been more like from Chapter 11 on and less like everything before it. Trying to replay this game would be a nightmare if I attempted it.

Getting the Growth Egg definitely made grinding much more tolerable at the end, particularly because I just could not get over how dumb it is to keep having the enemies, from Chapter 10 to the middle of Chapter 13, get progressively more difficult but having no increase in CP reward. Thank god the missions are fun to do and didn't make me feel like I was just running around in circles fighting the same enemy over and over again otherwise I may have never found the motivation to finish this game.

I also did not touch the upgrade system once the entire game. Even after reading FAQs on it, it just seems too complex and makes me feel like no matter what I do that I'm going to end up doing something wrong.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
miladesn said:
if you have problem with doom you can use summon when the timer is near the end. but you should be able to defeat him long before he casts doom, if you always keep a SEN in this battle he will cast the doom on the SEN so it's no problem. Don't go for stagger! just fill the bar ~500% and make sure you have deshell and deprotect on him, then use COM/COM/SEN, you can't stagger him, his break limit is 999% IIRC.
Didn't even need to change my team -
just went all out on him with COM/RAV/RAV and by the time it reached 500% it was virtually dead. Managed to get five stars :).

But thanks!

-Mikey-

I know this has been asked a lot but when I get to chapter 11 will I be strong enough to start on missions or should I wait till later? Also, after I beat the final boss is it game over or can I keep playing on the same save file?

eznark

Banned
Shit, made it to the top of the tower but am pretty clearly underleveled. I can get the boss down to about 35% before he one hit kills me. I could probably keep trying and get it done but it seems like a clear indication I need to grind.

Did you guys have you crystariums maxed out at this point? Because good God I cannot grind that much in this tower. I was hoping to get plopped back in the field since the game itself says "skip most of this shit for now" before facing anything too tough.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
eznark said:
Shit, made it to the top of the tower but am pretty clearly underleveled. I can get the boss down to about 35% before he one hit kills me. I could probably keep trying and get it done but it seems like a clear indication I need to grind.

Did you guys have you crystariums maxed out at this point? Because good God I cannot grind that much in this tower. I was hoping to get plopped back in the field since the game itself says "skip most of this shit for now" before facing anything too tough.

What was your strategy for the boss?

eznark said:

There's a brilliant place to grind in the tower.

I forget which floor, but there are 5 robots at the bottom of a flight of stairs. If you can get a pre-emptive strike on them, you can beat them in under a minute for 8000CP.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Grinding Mission 7 to get 5 Bomb Cores is wonderful and all (but boring), yet how do you make money in this game? I still havent really held more than like 5-6k after 30 hours of playtime. it's so ambiguous what's good to keep, sell, or upgrade. And without hundreds of battles of testing - I mean, who wants to do that?

I need to buy bones to upgrade efficiently, but I can't even afford any.
What's people fast money strategies?

The most efficient way is farming Adamantoise/Adamantortoise for Platinum Ingots (which sell for 150,000).

As for what to sell--anything that says "can be sold for a premium" in its description has no use but to be sold.

jiggle

John Harker said:
Grinding Mission 7 to get 5 Bomb Cores is wonderful and all (but boring), yet how do you make money in this game? I still havent really held more than like 5-6k after 30 hours of playtime. it's so ambiguous what's good to keep, sell, or upgrade. And without hundreds of battles of testing - I mean, who wants to do that?

I need to buy bones to upgrade efficiently, but I can't even afford any.
What's people fast money strategies?

you already missed the first 2 money points
ch7
Hope's house. respawning soldiers that drops credit chip(500gils) and phoenix down
ch9
Interior hallway with 4 groups of respawning soldiers that drop credit chips (500gils) and incentive chips(2000gils?) very frequently.

there are 5 opportunities ahead before the end of the game

1) ch11 - 99 bomb cores sell for around 80k

2) ch11, mission 14. You're guaranteed 1 gold ingot when digging on chocobo which sells for 60k. Afterward, you can randomly dig up gold ingot (60k), gold dust (12k?), moogle doll (forgot howmuch, 20k+?), and chocobo doll (12k)

3) ch11, near the end
There's a minigame where u have to fix a toy, your reward is over 600kworth of items

4) ch11, right at the end, but before ch12
stage 9 crystarium unlock, giving Vanille death. with it, you can go back to archyte stepps and
kill adamantois/adamantortois for platinum ingots (150k each)

5) ch 12/13, a mob call
sacrifice drops perfumes
that can be sold for 12k each

hamchan

CruxisMana said:
There's a brilliant place to grind in the tower.

I forget which floor, but there are 5 robots at the bottom of a flight of stairs. If you can get a pre-emptive strike on them, you can beat them in under a minute for 8000CP.
Yes, I grinded at this spot. Save point at the top of the stairs too.

Joei

I finished the game a few days ago. I thought the ending was a bit underwhelming, though fitting I guess. I only did a few hunts... 1-10, 20-29, and a few later ones. I really don't think I could drop another 40 odd hours running through Gran Pulse and Oerba doing the remaining missions and capping out the character grids. While I loved the battle setup and did find it kind of addicting once it opened up, this wasn't a direction I wanted the series to take and can honestly say this is the first FF game I ever played and genuinely disliked as a whole. I did love the music though. The music and the battle system was pretty much it. Oh, and I loved Vanille. Oh well though. On to Valkyria Chronicles!

Jeels

Thought this would be the best place for this very specific request. Can someone make a gif with Lightning going "Worst Birthday Ever", one with and without text? :lol Best awkward in a good way scene in gaming.

Green Mamba said:
The most efficient way is farming Adamantoise/Adamantortoise for Platinum Ingots (which sell for 150,000).

Is there a semi-reliable documented method to do this pre Ch.12?

I've tried two strategies so far: (assuming ~2000 STR for my SEN and Marlboro wand for my SAB)

1. Knock down with summon, debuff and then stagger/attack
= Stands up at about 20%, instant kill stomp does 12-14k to everyone

2. Knock down with summon, debuff and then spam death spell
= No luck after 15 replays, doesn't die and then stomp does 12-14k

I'll give the method a try where you have 3x sab and hope curse has some kind of beneficial effect, but I've yet to see death work at all on these guys...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I fucking hate the adamantoises. They fucking drop more Traps than Platinum ingots.

ULTROS!

its even worse with the connosieur's catalog.

ULTROS!

I have enough traps, I need Platinum Ingots. :p

Zzoram

So I just beat the Ch.11 boss and unlocked Army of One and Death. I'm thinking of going back to the Achelyte Steppes to grind my expanded crystarium and maybe try to kill some turtles and upgrade my weapons. Is this a good idea?

Footos22

I spent all day saturday even though the sun was shining ploughing through admanatoises

2 traps, all day! Luckily i got about 30 ingots in that time and maxed out my crystarium
just needed 1 more trap.

Sunday i decided to go try the final mission, I had already 5 starred every mission before it and i only had a maxed out taming pole kains lance (which when starred DOES NOT dismantle into 3 traps you bastards) looked at the guide and its true it does not. Is probably the only pole that doesnt :( you dont even get 1!

anyway i poisoned that bitch to a pulp in 9 mins and got the completely useless gold watch
nevermind lol

then last night i decided to go try the long gui. just for shits and giggles with 3 elixers to hand i beat him thinking id just reload and get my elixers back

what drops...

a traphezadron!
My 1am scream of OHHHH YEAHHHH!!!! made my dog crap himself. i can now just use it on my nirvana dismantle it as i never use her anyway and i will have got my remaining 3 traps for my already starred level 2 weapons of choice
just need to farm 5 or 6 dark matters and i will have a platinum :D
shao long guis seem pretty easy from the ones i have killed

desverger

Zzoram said:
So I just beat the Ch.11 boss and unlocked Army of One and Death. I'm thinking of going back to the Achelyte Steppes to grind my expanded crystarium and maybe try to kill some turtles and upgrade my weapons. Is this a good idea?

Grinding and missions is a good idea, I did some of it before I beat the end boss, but it's your call if you want to do it before beating the final boss. Finishing the game from that point isn't a huge ordeal, so you might want to get it "out of the way" quickly - postgame has also been a lot of fun for me since you get the benefit of fully expanded crystarium.

As a sidenote, you get a teleport just before the end boss so once you clear the final dungeon, you can always go back there quickly. This teleport also gets you back to Pulse if you want.

BeeDog

Fucking Adamantoise grinding, I need Ingots, but either I get nothing, or the -toise simply refuses to die (fucking random Death spell). Just now, I had to repeat the fight with the Edenhall Adamantoise 5 fucking times, and I still haven't killed him (when I usually nailed it on the first try the 10 times I killed it right before this round).

GAH!

ULTROS!

Saving-Exiting-Loading doesn't work, you'll just get the same empty loot. You have to enter-exit
Edenhall that has the NPCs
. It's best if you save there, exit the door, walk to the Adamantoise and load if you didn't get anything.

BeeDog

ULTROS! said:
Saving-Exiting-Loading doesn't work, you'll just get the same empty loot. You have to enter-exit
. It's best if you save there, walk to the Adamantoise and load if you didn't get anything.

That's not really true, since I HAVE gotten several Ingots from loading at the save point next to the Adamantoise. It's just that the Death spell hit rate is completely arbitrary, often after loading.

ULTROS!

BeeDog said:
That's not really true, since I HAVE gotten several Ingots from loading at the save point next to the Adamantoise. It's just that the Death spell hit rate is completely arbitrary, often after loading.

Really? I always get the same loots (empty) if I do that and I got more after exiting-entering
Edenhall
. :lol

Footos22

ULTROS! said:
. It's best if you save there, exit the door, walk to the Adamantoise and load if you didn't get anything.

Yes it does
i just saved by the admanatoise. quit from pause menu, reloaded and beat him again.
was where i got so many platinum ingots and my first trap

Sod the death spell.

just summon bahamut, cast deprotect, deshell, imperil and slow switch to rav and wail on him until bahamuts bar is about to empty, go gestault, dive, double spin, fire beam to the left, repeat until either stagger about to end or you ran out of points, use mega flare cause mega damage between 500-800k depending on stats,
turtles 2 min cycle has reset, cast haste on everyone, triple rav untill 999%
switch to relentless assault, just as stagger is about to end or health is pretty low, use highwind, win

takes 2 mins with guaranteed death everytime.
just replensish tp at entrance to eden hall and the 2 soldier mobs inside.
get loads of incentive chips a the same time.

Zzoram said:

I just ran on to beat the game from that point cause in 12 and 13 you earn crysterium like there is no tomorrow.

Ricker

-Mikey- said:
Sorry to ask again but once I hit chapter 11 will I be able to take on the missions available?

Yep,the first 10 or so can be done nicely,if you didn`t skip fights too much in the first 10 chapters hehe...to get a feel,kill some of the easiest mobs first,stay away from the Behemoths at first,unless you want to get an idea on how you will do against one...you can also follow the main story mark if you want,doing some battles on the way,there is no rush in doing all the missions in Pulse right when you get there...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
jiggle said:
you already missed the first 2 money points
ch7
Hope's house. respawning soldiers that drops credit chip(500gils) and phoenix down
ch9
Interior hallway with 4 groups of respawning soldiers that drop credit chips (500gils) and incentive chips(2000gils?) very frequently.

there are 5 opportunities ahead before the end of the game

1) ch11 - 99 bomb cores sell for around 80k

2) ch11, mission 14. You're guaranteed 1 gold ingot when digging on chocobo which sells for 60k. Afterward, you can randomly dig up gold ingot (60k), gold dust (12k?), moogle doll (forgot howmuch, 20k+?), and chocobo doll (12k)

3) ch11, near the end
There's a minigame where u have to fix a toy, your reward is over 600kworth of items

4) ch11, right at the end, but before ch12
stage 9 crystarium unlock, giving Vanille death. with it, you can go back to archyte stepps and
kill adamantois/adamantortois for platinum ingots (150k each)

5) ch 12/13, a mob call
sacrifice drops perfumes
that can be sold for 12k each

Great, thanks for the tips. I won't be doing any NG+ or venturing back to Pulse after I beat the game, so need to take care of as much as I can now. I'll ignore upgrading till I get the chocobo I guess and start from there.

What paradigm is Death under? RAV or SAB?

Exhumed

So finally beat all the missions. Spent enough time (5+ hours) trying to kill the last mark. What an asshat, I really hate that bastard. Couldn't do it right away so I grinded on some turtles till i was able to get SEN/SEN/SEN and all 3 main classes mastered on each character. Killed another 20 or so turtles, got about 5 plat ingots and 0 trapezohedrons. I'm giving up on getting platinum on this one, I just can't stand the grinding.

Overall opinion. Story was lackluster, battle system was fun as hell, soundtrack was pretty bad compared to some of its predecessors, and the game looked beautiful. As a hardcore FF fanboi, I'll continue to play these games but I hope they work on improving ALL aspects of the game, not just the graphics.....

Footos22

Exhumed said:
So finally beat all the missions. Spent enough time (5+ hours) trying to kill the last mark. What an asshat, I really hate that bastard. Couldn't do it right away so I grinded on some turtles till i was able to get SEN/SEN/SEN and all 3 main classes mastered on each character. Killed another 20 or so turtles, got about 5 plat ingots and 0 trapezohedrons. I'm giving up on getting platinum on this one, I just can't stand the grinding.

Overall opinion. Story was lackluster, battle system was fun as hell, soundtrack was pretty bad compared to some of its predecessors, and the game looked beautiful. As a hardcore FF fanboi, I'll continue to play these games but I hope they work on improving ALL aspects of the game, not just the graphics.....

all you really need for the last mark is poison
3 sentinals and 3 saboteurs
with hope healing after a wicked whirl and getting in a few hits before he goes invincible which gives you enough time to reapply buffs. It took me 9 mins
it was a fun fight i thought even though you change paradigms every 30 seconds.

Getting a trap was a bastard! i went and killed a long gui and got 1 straight away.
just need my dark matters now.

hated using the death spell, it sucks although it made the 3 marks with that stupid flying mark you gotta fight pretty damn easy. hardest mission for me was 63 until i starred a couple of magus bracelets.

desverger

Ugh, Mission 62 is so much pain :lol

Not really sure how to tackle it. I just upgraded 9 witch bracelets to star level, so I have a whopping 58% magic resist on each char.. lets see how that works out.

Any tips?

Vinlaen

What's the general opinion on this game now that it's been out for a while?

I love the Final Fantasy games and have played a bunch of them (7, 8, most of 9, 10, and most of 12).

The idea of battles being "puzzles" and rated on your quickness is a bit of a turn off but the game looks so gorgeous and it's the "next generation" Final Fantasy game...

KZObsessed

Lince said:
are you back into this? that's why you won't play MAG with us anymore ;_;

I was playing FFXIII early this morning just to get every weapon maxed out, I don't have any other incentives sadly. Get 6 Dark Matters just to be sure, they're easy to obtain anyway and the battles with the guis are rather fun (albeit a bit on the quick side), be ready to spend some "quality time" upgrading stuff for the Treasure Hunter trophy if you're aiming for the Platinum. That was horrible even when I was tracking everything from the start and checked GAF's guide I ended up missing a tungsten bracelet that you can't get anywhere, you HAVE to buy it... and then go back to Vanille's
robot
in
Oerba
. Ridiculous time-consuming trophy.

I'll play MAG again. I actually played it a little while a go with Violater, got bored pretty quick tho. Hate the radom bullet spread patch, just ruined it. The gunplay in that game is pretty weak but it's saving grace was how accurate the weapons were with minimal auto-aim. I know they're back pedalling a little bit with the next patch. I'll probably try it again then. I'll be finally buying BFBC2 tho soon, when I finally manage to platinum this bastard game. :lol

I have all the accessories except the ones requiring Dark Matter and one Adamantite. I have all the weapons but still need all the catalysts to upgrade them to second tier. And of course they all require the expensive Uranite, Adamantite, Perovskite and Scarletite catalysts so I have to farm a couple of million gil at least still :lol

God, who designed this?? It's painful. Then I have 5 starring of all the missions to look forward to. :p Don't know how you managed it it only 90 hours, though I didn't plan anything from the start. I just finished the game and prayed I didn't miss any accessories or weapons that you couldn't buy, but I went through and checked and I should have everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom