• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjen

Scythian Empire said:
Question regarding Chapter 11.
Just beat the boss and am about to board the ship to Cocoon, but was wondering if it's still possible to return to Pulse later on in the game to finish off those missions?

Yep, don't worry about that

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Scythian Empire said:
Question regarding Chapter 11.
Just beat the boss and am about to board the ship to Cocoon, but was wondering if it's still possible to return to Pulse later on in the game to finish off those missions?

Yup, a portal opens up in Chapter 13 to get you back to Pulse. Also when you beat the game, you unlock a new level of the Crystarium, and you return to the final savepoint, so you can use the warp again and go back to Pulse. This is the best time to do all those missions, since before beating the game, you won't possibly be able to beat some of the higher-ranked missions

orion434

Lince said:
you can make a different save just for the trophy... that's what I did and saved me from unnecessary grinding.

This x 100!!! If I had 3 Genji Gloves and needed 3 Traps... should I grind for hours for those Traps... or even the 2nd method of Maxing Fang's Ultimate weapon to get 3 extra at the cost of ~ 1.5 million Gil? If Gil farming wasn't as tedious I wouldn't mind but there are really only 3 decent methods. Just make a 2nd save-file... get the Achievement / Trophy and quit.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just realized a lot of people are motivated to platinum this game. :lol

The platinum takes a long way to get though, but still doable.

orion434

ULTROS! said:
I just realized a lot of people are motivated to platinum this game. :lol

The platinum takes a long way to get though, but still doable.

I try to complete EVERY game with 100%... it's a disease :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
rayner said:
I try to complete EVERY game with 100%... it's a disease :lol

If you 100% Star Ocean 4... I'd praise you. :lol

heard it takes 800 hours to platinum

orion434

ULTROS! said:

I will eventualy, currently 0710/1000 :D Those Battle Trophies are a bit too random for me... hit for exactly 5,555 damage?

Cornbread78

ULTROS! said:

LOL, same for WKC. at least you can do this one in only 100 hours. The other JRPGs out there are far friggen' worse.

Footos22

rayner said:
This x 100!!! If I had 3 Genji Gloves and needed 3 Traps... should I grind for hours for those Traps... or even the 2nd method of Maxing Fang's Ultimate weapon to get 3 extra at the cost of ~ 1.5 million Gil? If Gil farming wasn't as tedious I wouldn't mind but there are really only 3 decent methods. Just make a 2nd save-file... get the Achievement / Trophy and quit.

A kains lance * made from a taming pole does not dismantle into any traps whatsoever.
alot of people say to do this.

It wont give you anything but a load of premium items 5 ingots i think and some other high value items.
alright if you need a bit of extra cash right at the end game to upgrade all your tier 2 weapons though

ULTROS!

rayner said:
I will eventualy, currently 0710/1000 :D Those Battle Trophies are a bit too random for me... hit for exactly 5,555 damage?

The
being with a specific character for 100 hours
trophy is crazy.

I like Star Ocean 4 a lot but not enough to platinum it. :lol

Anyway, FFXIII is probably the most doable platinum for me since it doesn't have tons of trophy, followed by Assassin's Creed II.

orion434

De4th Strike said:
A kains lance * made from a taming pole does not dismantle into any traps whatsoever.
alot of people say to do this.

It wont give you anything but a load of premium items 5 ingots i think and some other high value items.
alright if you need a bit of extra cash right at the end game to upgrade all your tier 2 weapons though

It's been a month and I don't know the Tier 1 weapon name, but I know Venus Gospel upgraded to Kain's lance then Maxed will give 3 Traps... + other crap.

Jinaar

Current Location: Beginning of CHAPTER 12
Issue: Game is not fun and irritating (Story + Characters) yet I am compelled to complete it.
Question: Is the game worth finishing thru Chapters 12 and 13? Will passing the game make it all worth while?

Obviously, I may just return the game and just use logic here (If having bad experience = Yes, goto END yadda yadda), but some stupid reason I want to have hope that this game can be saved somehow.

I've been playing FF's since the 80's with the DQ/DW games as well. I'm stubborn as fuck, feeling I might lose out on something. Is there hope for the last two chapters?

Pooya

Jinaar said:
Current Location: Beginning of CHAPTER 12
Issue: Game is not fun and irritating (Story + Characters) yet I am compelled to complete it.
Question: Is the game worth finishing thru Chapters 12 and 13? Will passing the game make it all worth while?

Obviously, I may just return the game and just use logic here (If having bad experience = Yes, goto END yadda yadda), but some stupid reason I want to have hope that this game can be saved somehow.

I've been playing FF's since the 80's with the DQ/DW games as well. I'm stubborn as fuck, feeling I might lose out on something. Is there hope for the last two chapters?
just 6-7 hours more and it's over, you've played this long, you really don't want to see how it ends?
story wise the game doesn't get any better if not worse.

Westonian

Jinaar said:

If you hate the story and characters so far, then the end isn't going to change your mind. The game is done trying to add depth to the characters at this point. The last two chapters are a race to the end. That end is pretty nonsensical and offers very little in the way of emotional payoff. Still, you're so close now, just muscle through the last three hours and be done with it.

orion434

ULTROS! said:
The
being with a specific character for 100 hours
trophy is crazy.

I like Star Ocean 4 a lot but not enough to platinum it. :lol

Anyway, FFXIII is probably the most doable platinum for me since it doesn't have tons of trophy, followed by Assassin's Creed II.

Assassin's Creed II is pretty easy to 100% has a TA Ratio of 1.1 as opposed to FFXIII's 2.7. I know you are on the PS3-side, but check out TrueAchievements... gives a good idea of a games difficulty rating on acquiring Achievements / Trophies

Jinaar

Thanks for the responses back. I do appreciate the comments, and I will focus on what I do enjoy about the game till the end of Chapter 13 and get the most of what is meaningful to me until then, taking that as the reward from this experience. Cheers, folks!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
More FFXIII Home crap coming tomorrow:

The long-awaited Final Fantasy XIII costumes arrive tomorrow! Featuring costumes for Snow, Lightning, Vanille and Sazh, these costumes are sure to stand out in a crowd. You’ll also find four new furniture items, including two Lightning figures and a Flying Ship model.

ULTROS!

rayner said:
Assassin's Creed II is pretty easy to 100% has a TA Ratio of 1.1 as opposed to FFXIII's 2.7. I know you are on the PS3-side, but check out TrueAchievements... gives a good idea of a games difficulty rating on acquiring Achievements / Trophies

Checked it out and seems very useful!

And lol at FFXI being the highest in RPGs. FFXIII seems upper mid tier (meaning a bit hard) to get, so I'm glad I accomplished the plat. :D

desverger

re: Mission 64

Few tries later, finally 5-starred this bastard of a mission. It was definitely the toughest thing for me to do in the entire game. Not even those two Raktavijas or Attacus weren't annoying enough compared to this :lol

In the end I had a bit of an unconventional strategy for it, you can try it if you're having as much trouble as I was :p

I guess my main problem was that Vanille was dying, EVEN when I was in SEN/SEN/SEN Paradigm with over 16k hp, and 37% phys/mag resist and 40% wind resist.

Anyway, here's the strategy I used:
In short, this strategy focus on YOU staying alive no matter what. The only thing you'll be doing on Fang is some COM action before the boss gets his 3rd wings, after that you'll mostly be sitting in Mediguard. I had dipped into secondary roles so that Fang had Protectra/Bravera/Faithra, and Lightning had Poison and Elude, while Vanille had Mediguard. All the main roles were level 5. I think two level 5 medics saved me in the end.

Team: Fang, Lightning, Vanille.
Equipment: Level 1 weapons on both Light and Fang, Vanille had a Marlboro Wand. Starred General's Belt, Royal Armlet, Sylphid Ring and Witch Bracelet on all.
Paradigms:
1. COM/RAV/RAV
2. SAB/SAB/SAB*
3. SEN/SAB/SAB
4. SEN/SEN/SEN
5. SEN/MED/MED
6. SYN/MED/MED
*) Default

Start the fight with all shrouds as usual. You'll want to get most out of them.
Ok, the fight is mostly cake until the boss gets his 3rd wings and starts using Wicked Whirl. Just play normally, going to 6 when he goes in his shell and 2 when he gets out of his shell naturally, then pummel him with 1 for as much as you can. Don't be afraid to be aggressive before the 3rd set of wings. When in 6, cast Protectra and Faithra on everyone (yourself first) with Fang, you have to manually queue them.

After he gets his wings up, the strategy comes a bit different. You'll want to be in 2 when he comes out of his shell, but not for too long. Keep dispelling and autodebuffing him. When he loses his BUFFS, switch to 3, queue a full bar of Mediguard and hope Light or Vanille manages to stick Poison on him. If they die, just plop them up with a Phoenix Down and let them keep debuffing :p If you see WW coming, of course switch to 4 FAST.

When Poison is up, heal up with 5, and then switch to 4 and wait for WW. Fang should have almost full health. If the boss is above 25% health, he'll only use WW once before going back to his shell, so after you've soaked up the damage, either heal if you're not on the red, or switch straight to 1 to give him a bit of damage. Below 25% you'll want to play it safe anyway, so I'd just recommend letting Poison do it's dirty work.

If either Lightning or Vanille die below the 25% mark, just let them, and keep defending if you have enough HP to survive WW. You can get them up in his shell phase anyway. If things go pear-shaped and you're low on health, and both your team members are dead, use Renew. I still had to use it twice just to keep it safe.

That's it! My time with it was about 11 minutes.

Now to kill a Shaolong Gui and I have all the achievements except Master's Seal and Treasure Hunter, which I'm not gonna bother with :p

Choopy

Neo Member
Anybody got a decent strategy against
those Shao Long Gui bastards?

I keep having to try 3 or 4 times before I manage to kill one.

jiggle

Threi said:
Stagger Lock has a purpose right?

(In CH 10, just defeated
Cid
)

YES!
Most of the stagger lock weapons come with a hidden trait of "Random:Instant Chain" if paired with the right accessories (energy sash, speed sash, hunter's friend, survivalist catalog)
this will completely fill up your chain meter randomly(but not stagger it)

and some of these weapons also have the highest stats for that character

if you keep only 1 out of 3 characters using it, it shouldn't affect the battle negatively

Sazh (Rigel) and Fang (Taming pole) are two great candidates for this type of weapons

edit: you might want to spoiler the names

Choopy said:
Anybody got a decent strategy against
those Shao Long Gui bastards?

I keep having to try 3 or 4 times before I manage to kill one.

try this
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20772686&postcount=17104

jjasper

Man I haven't had any problem with the game till just now. Just got my ass handed to me by
Cid
like 8 times in a row before I turned it off.

Footos22

83:58 mins

PLATINUM No.7 GET

I now feel sad its all over, after a first sticky few hours i though this game was gonna blow

it was actually awesome.
The battle system felt 10x better after the main story was completed
when you can fully upgrade the crystarium the game really turned up a gear.

as for the treasure hunter achievement, it wasnt actually that bad.
i still needed 12 perovskites and 5 uranites and 21 ultracompact reactors last night. all i needed to do was get 2 platinum ingots then i decided to dismantle fangs maxed out taming pole. that gave me over 1 millions worth of components to sell.
after i bought everything and upgraded all the weapons i had 13 gil left.

I was ready to rage at the robot but he said those magic words, reloaded my save, killed the last boss again in 52 seconds and now i can spend all my ps3 time on battlefield.
I told my fiance id finish it by the time my little girls born (she said the music was doing her nut in :() and shes being induced today.

So im pretty chuffed with myself right now.

Footos22

rayner said:
It's been a month and I don't know the Tier 1 weapon name, but I know Venus Gospel upgraded to Kain's lance then Maxed will give 3 Traps... + other crap.

That is the taming pole

I got 5 platinum ingots, shit loads of perfumes, even more shit loads of green needles some dew and something else totaled well over a million gil

checked the official guide and its true, you dont get 3 traps. thats another one of her weapons. (can't remember which)

desverger

De4th Strike said:
I now feel sad its all over, after a first sticky few hours i though this game was gonna blow

it was actually awesome.
The battle system felt 10x better after the main story was completed
when you can fully upgrade the crystarium the game really turned up a gear.

Congrats! I feel a little sad I'm almost done with the game too, and there really aren't any new challenges to tackle. The C'ieth missions actually made the game for me and made the battle system shine.

Zoe

Shadow780 said:
Saves are interchangeable between languages so I assume you don't get separate trophies HARHAR.

Eh? It's not that way for the Japanese and English versions.

But yes, it's the same set of trophies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shadow780 said:
Chinese ver. details, Lightning controller looks cool~

You get a PSN card to download one of 7 premium avatars and chocobo for pre-ordering~

http://asia.playstation.com/tw/cht/news/pressDetail/144920

Saves are interchangeable between languages so I assume you don't get separate trophies HARHAR.

Ah, Taiwan gets the Japanese voices/Chinese subs. Too bad, I might have bought it again if it had Chinese VO.

I wonder if Taiwanese people can be considered Weaboo though, given what people here think about unlocalized games. :lol

Shadow780

firehawk12 said:
Ah, Taiwan gets the Japanese voices/Chinese subs. Too bad, I might have bought it again if it had Chinese VO.

I wonder if Taiwanese people can be considered Weaboo though, given what people here think about unlocalized games. :lol

Have you played Halo PC with Chn. VO? Or Dynasty Warriors 3? It was hilarious~ :lol

ULTROS!

My FFXIII is the Asian version though. Very few parts of the manual were in Chinese but everything else was English.

Cornbread78

Anyone know what the drop percentage is for items in this game? Seriously, I read that chp. 7 is a good place to farm Credit Chips, so I've been killing the soldiers non-stop, but nothing.... I keep getting the Pheonix Dawns, but no Credit Chips.... WTF? I 5 star every battle.....

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shadow780 said:
Have you played Halo PC with Chn. VO? Or Dynasty Warriors 3? It was hilarious~ :lol

No, but now I feel like I missed out. :lol

ULTROS! said:
My FFXIII is the Asian version though. Very few parts of the manual were in Chinese but everything else was English.

Yeah, "Asian" versions tend to be English with Chinese manuals. This seems to be a version catered specifically for Taiwan though.

Cornbread78 said:
Anyone know what the drop percentage is for items in this game? Seriously, I read that chp. 7 is a good place to farm Credit Chips, so I've been killing the soldiers non-stop, but nothing.... I keep getting the Pheonix Dawns, but no Credit Chips.... WTF? I 5 star every battle.....

If the phoenix downs are the rare drop, that means you're more likely to get those from doing well in the battle.

Choopy

Neo Member
Okay, so I've collected around 5.3mil roughly.
Would this be enough to upgrade all accessories/weapons that are obtainable through upgrade only? Or is more Turtle grinding required?

I have everyones Tier 3 except for Sazh. The rest of my weapons need upgrades to Tier 2, and I think I wasted all my Perovskites on something so I may have to purchase more of those. :lol

I might start grinding bomb cores again, too...

ULTROS!

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, "Asian" versions tend to be English with Chinese manuals. This seems to be a version catered specifically for Taiwan though.

And the Philippines too since the PS3 just officially launched last month together with FFXIII, God of War 3, and Ridge Racer 7! I was there in the launch... Playing FFXIII again. :lol

ULTROS! said:
Just for a little lulz. Anyone remember the old trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvyHcBzetrk

The only thing that came close was Chapter 6.

The Eden stuff is very close to the final product too though, just minus the all the other characters.

I'm interested if the Eden parts of the game were originally supposed to appear early in the game (since early trailers don't often show late game areas) and if Lightning was originally supposed to visit the Sunleth Waterscape rather than Sazh and Vanille.

On a side note, the ability to revisit Pulse has saved this game for me.

ULTROS!

marathonfool said:
I think everything in the trailer ended up being in the game. Except for the cinematic battle. That became a cutscene in Chapter

Really? I never saw that cutscene. :lol

ULTROS! said:
Really? I never saw that cutscene. :lol

They basically just remade the trailer footage, such as [Chapter 12]
Lightning attacking the Eden soldiers after using her gravity-doo-dah
and
the attack of the Behemoth on the highway

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Choopy said:
Okay, so I've collected around 5.3mil roughly.
Would this be enough to upgrade all accessories/weapons that are obtainable through upgrade only? Or is more Turtle grinding required?

I have everyones Tier 3 except for Sazh. The rest of my weapons need upgrades to Tier 2, and I think I wasted all my Perovskites on something so I may have to purchase more of those. :lol

I might start grinding bomb cores again, too...

If you already have the ultimate weapons, then you should be fine as long as you farm the Dark Matter. The biggest expense after that are the 6 Adamantites you need (200k each).

dramatis

ULTROS! said:
Just for a little lulz. Anyone remember the old trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvyHcBzetrk

The only thing that came close was Chapter 6 and the cutscenes.

;___; Good times...

darkwings said:
judging from that small footage, didnt the battle system seemed deeper? It had more menu options it seems.

Not necessarily. I do remember that trailer raising concerns about a 'party' though, which is probably why they shifted from a single-player oriented combat system to a party system with macro management.

More commands was probably because back then they thought things like 'Launch' were okay in the system and could be chosen by the player.

flyover

CruxisMana said:
On a side note, the ability to revisit Pulse has saved this game for me.
Seriously. I'm having way more fun with the game, now that I'm only playing the non-essential parts of it. I always like the optional stuff, but this is the first Final Fantasy where I've enjoyed that content more than the main game itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom