• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yesterday I nailed the platinum.

Budgeted I needed ~2.5 Million Gill so I thought around 17 platinums but I got bored at 14 after about 3 hours blasted it to Oerba, sold the SHIT out of everything and had just enough to do the weapons. Went to see that little robot fuck and nailed it first time. Thank fuck for the guide.

Things I enjoyed:
  • The battle system is great, its very well done
  • Beating Vercingetorix first time. Felt nice and epic.
  • Almost gave up with a few trophies to go. Couldn't face any more non-summon adamantoise grinding. Had a bit of an epiphany nailed all my Long/Shao Long Guis and ground it to the end.

Things I hated:
  • Fuck Treasure Hunter. That trophy isn't a challenge, its maximum bullshit.
  • I was bored bored bored from about chapter 3 till the party came back together as a 3. Its just tiresome and really linear to its detriment.
  • Gil? Gil? What Gil? There is basically no Gil for the first 10 chapters. You may as well not both with shops.
  • The game was easy if you made sure you maxxed out your Crystarium whenever you opened a new level. My only struggles were the eidolon battles.

7/10

ichinisan said:
Gil? Gil? What Gil? There is basically no Gil for the first 10 chapters. You may as well not both with shops.

I do feel like this is a legitimate gripe, and I wish there was more you could do with shopping in the game. It's a shame since there is a lot of stuff to buy. I think it would have made sense if they had more drops from enemies that you could sell.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Fuck the developer who put motherfucking Doom into the game! Fuck him right in his ear!

I just wasted the last 45 minutes trying to beat the second time you meat
Barthadelus
and each time the fucking Doom timer ran out before I could kill him.

What am I doing wrong here? I start out in Delta (CMD/SEN/RAV) for a couple rounds, switch to Mystic Tower (RAV/SEN/RAV) and he easily staggers. Switch back to Delta for the duration of the stagger, switching out to Solidarity (CMD/SEN/MED) when my Sentinel gets low in health. Rinse and repeat. The problem is fucking Doom!

He tends to put a stun or something on my folks that cause them to not be able to attack for a bit, which is annoying and I'm sure doesn't help, but it seems like this isn't taking much away from my overall damage. Perhaps it is more than I think...

Lightning

Banned
Diseased Yak said:
Fuck the developer who put motherfucking Doom into the game! Fuck him right in his ear!

Barthadelus

What am I doing wrong here? I start out in Delta (CMD/SEN/RAV) for a couple rounds, switch to Mystic Tower (RAV/SEN/RAV) and he easily staggers. Switch back to Delta for the duration of the stagger, switching out to Solidarity (CMD/SEN/MED) when my Sentinel gets low in health. Rinse and repeat. The problem is fucking Doom!

He tends to put a stun or something on my folks that cause them to not be able to attack for a bit, which is annoying and I'm sure doesn't help, but it seems like this isn't taking much away from my overall damage. Perhaps it is more than I think...
Why do you have Sen always active? Basically your problem is you are taking too long.

Turn that Sentinal into an attacker that does damage and heal when required and this fight will breeze by. Too many people fight the battles defensively and there really isn't any need too. Also, if you used libra on him you will realize that he can be debuffed. Debuffing him allows you to kill him real fast. This battle was under 10min for me but no Sentinal and don't have your medic avtive all the time, only when you need healing.

Let me in

Diseased Yak said:

Barthadelus

I keep seeing the doom complaints, but I never encountered this once. Maybe people are rushing through, no grinding whatsoever? There were several places (
Hope's house, boarding the ship to rescue Vanille, Gran Pulse
) where you could have gained some extra CP. You need to do this to make life easier.

Either that or you're not accessorized well. Or it sounds like you're reluctant to use the more agressive paradigms like Aggression and Relentless Assault, to cut away at his HP when he's staggared.

Also, depending on what ailments he's susceptible to, you need to use SYN/SAB right away to start off with an advantage.

It's been a while, but these strats seem to apply well to most battles.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Fimbulvetr said:
Elder Wyrm?

Didn't have that much HP but did have a really cheap status inflicting move as its special attack.

Oh, right, the dragon you encountered in Golmore Jungle. And yeah, fuck the status inflicting move. But it was a fun boss to fight.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Lightning said:
Why do you have Sen always active? Basically your problem is you are taking too long.

Turn that Sentinal into an attacker that does damage and heal when required and this fight will breeze by. Too many people fight the battles defensively and there really isn't any need too. Also, if you used libra on him you will realize that he can be debuffed. Debuffing him allows you to kill him real fast. This battle was under 10min for me but no Sentinal and don't have your medic avtive all the time, only when you need healing.

Ahh, ok, that makes sense. So Doom is on some timer? Seemed to happen after about 20 minutes both battles so that must be it, I'm a slow poke. It just seemed like I got taken out too fast if I didn't have a Sentinel soaking up the damage. I'll try using Relentless and see how that goes. Thanks.

Diablos

This post = ending discussion (don't highlight anything unless you want to)

Zoe said:
That's pretty much it. Bart/Orphan said that if the party wasn't the one to do it, they'd just keep trying and trying with other people until it finally works.
However, it's important to note that
Fang and Vanille are heroes. Bart/Orphan could have kept trying to find more l'Cie, sure, but it was Fang and Vanille who stopped Cocoon from crashing into Pulse, which would have summoned the Maker. That's why they said at the end of the game that it's "all they could do". Not sure if those who have been ripping on the ending have taken that into consideration; Fang and Vanille prevented another catastrophe by crystallizing a destoryed Cocoon before it crashed into Pulse.

I really loved the ending btw.

Best FF I've played since VII, VIII and Tactics. Might write up some post-game impressions.

Just watched the credits, ending was short but sweet (I'm forever spoiled by FFVIII's ending). Stayed with Lightning/Snow/Hope throughout the end-game.

I liked the game overall and look forward to continuing into the post-game, gather Achievements along the way. Highlights included of course the battle system and I was also fine with the characters, what with only one whiny kid in the main group (and he mans up along the way). The interesting sister versus fiancé dynamic and how it evolved between mains Lightning and Snow was also welcome as not standard jrpg fare. And Sazh was a good well-rounded character with nice jazzy theme music.

Still, though, the pacing and pyrotechnics of the battle system is what I kept coming back for. Breaking gigantic enemies into "stagger" and then piling on, keeping them afloat like balloons as everything from fists to Firagas hits them all at once is awesome. I even dug using the Eidolons when whim strikes--as opposed to actually needing to--especially Vanille's Hecatoncheir which reminds me of Machina Maw from X-2.

OTOH, the linearity of most of the game will always be what makes this one hard to defend vigorously if one were inclined to, as well as the now infamous lack of legitimate town exploration, woeful implementation of shops, and the nebulous upgrade system. At least the splits between story and gameplay were fairly well distributed, no "when the hell can I play again?!" moments like the 3rd disc of Lost Odyssey.

But, again, despite these issues I did like playing the game. Might even replay from scratch later on to revisit the characters in their earlier stages.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
BuckRobotron said:
Just watched the credits, ending was short but sweet (I'm forever spoiled by FFVIII's ending). Stayed with Lightning/Snow/Hope throughout the end-game.

I liked the game overall and look forward to continuing into the post-game, gather Achievements along the way. Highlights included of course the battle system and I was also fine with the characters, what with only one whiny kid in the main group (and he mans up along the way). The interesting sister versus fiancé dynamic and how it evolved between mains Lightning and Snow was also welcome as not standard jrpg fare. And Sazh was a good well-rounded character with nice jazzy theme music.

Still, though, the pacing and pyrotechnics of the battle system is what I kept coming back for. Breaking gigantic enemies into "stagger" and then piling on, keeping them afloat like balloons as everything from fists to Firagas hits them all at once is awesome. I even dug using the Eidolons when whim strikes--as opposed to actually needing to--especially Vanille's Hecatoncheir which reminds me of Machina Maw from X-2.

OTOH, the linearity of most of the game will always be what makes this one hard to defend vigorously if one were inclined to, as well as the now infamous lack of legitimate town exploration, woeful implementation of shops, and the nebulous upgrade system. At least the splits between story and gameplay were fairly well distributed, no "when the hell can I play again?!" moments like the 3rd disc of Lost Odyssey.

But, again, despite these issues I did like playing the game. Might even replay from scratch later on to revisit the characters in their earlier stages.
I couldn't agree more. Sounds like my reaction to it when it was all said and done.

Owzers

Lightning said:

I don't think i'll ever forgive Square Enix for making me replay a boss fight because i was "taking too long".

" You're spending too much time on this boss soooooooooo fight it again".

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I thought that was brilliant in counteracting cheese tactics. You had to find an effective damage dealing tactic that also allowed you to stay alive. Goddamn, I loved the boss fights in this game.

Owzers

RevenantKioku said:
I thought that was brilliant in counteracting cheese tactics. You had to find an effective damage dealing tactic that also allowed you to stay alive. Goddamn, I loved the boss fights in this game.

Pretty much every boss battle ended up being fought the same way though. Switching between:

Sent, healer, buffer
Sent , healer, debuffer,
attack mode
heal mode

repeat when needed.

FFXIII was one of the boringest "vanilla" games i ever played and yet still somewhat enjoyed. I'm a sucker for pretty graphics and parties, but this game was all kinds of lame. I wish i sold my copy when it had decent resell value.

Diablos

I'm too tired to write out a post about my post-game FFXIII impressions, but before I go to bed, I just want to say:

-The characters are amazing. Truly, besides Snow who ends up being at least decent (but every FF has at least one lackluster character anyway), some of the most memorable in the series.

-The gameplay? Outstanding. As touched on a few posts back, the battle system is the best I could ever ask for out of ATB. Just when you thought it was obsolete... they pull this off? Are you kidding me? Wow.

-FFXIII has, hands down, the best soundtrack in the entire series, or in any game I've played for that matter (yes, I'm serious). Previous OST's are still more memorable for obvious reasons, but really: this is the best. I'll touch on it later. But I'll definitely say that it transcends what game music is.

-Is it linear? Yes. Is it as bad as everyone said? Absolutely not. In fact, I'm fully convinced the pool of reviews that "matter" (i.e. posted on Wikipedia or Metacritic) are people borrowing notes from each other, who probably didn't even play past the 30% mark. Seriously. It's NOT THAT BAD. Once you realize what it is and how they're executing it, then you can see why it's so linear. As I said during my first impressions, the meat and potatoes of this game lies within the battles. You have to recognize the approach they took.

-The ending is great. Leona Lewis' song placement, not so much. "I put on my makeup" is heard while... well, what happens in the ending has absolutely nothing to do with makeup, I'll just say that. :D

I want to keep writing, but really... I should sleep. Maybe I'll write something up later, I dunno.

I was really worried about the series after being so very unimpressed with XII, but this game has restored my faith in the series.

7Th

Diablos said:
I really loved the ending btw.

Best FF I've played since VII, VIII and Tactics. Might write up some post-game impressions.

I don't love FFXIII, but I really, really liked the ending, too.

At least before it got to the
totally unnecessary and awkwardly lighthearted celebration; the party walking towards the just awakened Serah and Dahj would have been a much better ending.

Diablos

7Th said:

totally unnecessary and awkwardly lighthearted celebration; the party walking towards the just awakened Serah and Dahj would have been a much better ending.
Eh, I liked it the way it was.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
sillymonkey321 said:
Pretty much every boss battle ended up being fought the same way though. Switching between:

Sent, healer, buffer
Sent , healer, debuffer,
attack mode
heal mode

repeat when needed.

FFXIII was one of the boringest "vanilla" games i ever played and yet still somewhat enjoyed. I'm a sucker for pretty graphics and parties, but this game was all kinds of lame. I wish i sold my copy when it had decent resell value.

I didn't find that at all. I was generally on the edge of my seat the entire time switching to what I needed at the moment. Sure, you may be able to find a pattern in the goings, but getting into that rhythm and trying to stay ahead was so much fun for me.

Dresden

sillymonkey321 said:

Sent, healer, buffer
Sent , healer, debuffer,
attack mode
heal mode

repeat when needed.

I don't like FFXIII, but you're essentially saying that to beat a boss in XIII, you "just" needed to tank, heal, buff, debuff, and attack? What's next, people die when they are killed? To kill a boss, you damage its healthbar? To beat a game, you play it till it ends?

leng jai

Dresden said:
I don't like FFXIII, but you're essentially saying that to beat a boss in XIII, you "just" needed to tank, heal, buff, debuff, and attack? What's next, people die when they are killed? To kill a boss, you damage its healthbar? To beat a game, you play it till it ends?

I fail to see how that criticism couldn't be applied to every other RPG out there.

neoism

OK WTF. Is there any easy way to check what items your missing... I just upgraded everything, used a list and everything,I did make Elixirs out of my Doctor's code, do you have to have all items in your inventory.... I haven't 5 stared mission 64 do you get some for that.....I thought the gold watch was my last item Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Thrakier

Dresden said:

Yeah, but in FF it's probably too dumped down to be interessting anymore. I found the battle system super repetitive and boring, the whole game was a joke compared to it's budget and development time. Dissapointment of the year, I guess, maybe even for this generation. It all started with "no towns"...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dresden said:
lol

RevenantKioku

Thrakier said:
Yeah, but in FF it's probably too dumped down to be interessting anymore. I found the battle system super repetitive and boring, the whole game was a joke compared to it's budget and development time. Dissapointment of the year, I guess, maybe even for this generation. It all started with "no towns"...
It's all relative then. I didn't miss the towns and was completely enthralled by the battle system. Nothing felt dumbed down at all, in fact I felt a wonderful level of control mixed with desperation to stay afloat during the game. Such a great feeling.

leng jai said:
I fail to see how that criticism couldn't be applied to every other game out there.
Fix'd for reading comprehension.

leng jai said:
I see you are a fan of hyperbole. Disappointment of the gen? RE5 would like to have a word with you.
RE5 was marvelous. Anyway, why are you countering hyperbole with hyperbole?

leng jai

Thrakier said:

I see you are a fan of hyperbole. Disappointment of the gen? RE5 would like to have a word with you.

Thrakier

leng jai said:

Yeah, true, RE5 was also pretty horrible. On the same level. However RE5 needed less development time to disappoint...

Finally ended the game yesterday, I was doing side-quest but I thought about ending the game, because I already took a break to play other games and had the risk of ended unfinished like some of the JRPG I have on 360.

Great game, it could be better and I think S-E should have tried to do the game more entertaining and varied, but still I had a lot of fun, not my favorite FF but it's probably better than X.

RevenantKioku said:
It's all relative then. I didn't miss the towns and was completely enthralled by the battle system. Nothing felt dumbed down at all, in fact I felt a wonderful level of control mixed with desperation to stay afloat during the game. Such a great feeling.

Seriously, the battle system is so awesome, I think it gets a bit old, but that's because the battle system is the one that holds up the entire game and it's not deep enough, but still is great to see a RPG battle system needs the player total focus and is not about micromanagement, it's about of quickly adapting to the flow of the combat, while minimizing the time you need to kill an enemy, it's exciting having sometimes to take some dangers to able to do the final blow so you can have a 5 star qualification.

It's true the game can be easy, but the game encourages not only beating the enemy, beating him the fastest way possible and there's when the combat system shines.

RE5 was marvelous. Anyway, why are you countering hyperbole with hyperbole?

RE5 and FFXIII will end being recognized as good/great games in some years.

Believe.

Dresden

Relaxed Muscle said:
RE5 and FFXIII will end being recognized as good/great games in some years.

Believe.
Hahaha, no. Especially not RE5. It might have had a chance if RE4 wasn't so ridiculously good, and wasn't one of the greatest action games of all time.

RevenantKioku

Dresden said:
Hahaha, no. Especially not RE5. It might have had a chance if RE4 wasn't so ridiculously good, and wasn't one of the greatest action games of all time.
Really? I never got GAF word, but I felt RE5 was better than 4 in... pretty much every way. Huh.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
FFXIII is a damn good game. RE5 is a decent game. RE4 is a masterpiece.

Lime

So completed the game a couple of days ago. I am extremely positive about it, in spite of some flaws. I should add that I had low expectations when I bought it and I also read every new datapad entry concerning the story and the universe.

- The art direction and the graphics/production values are just mind blowing. I just had to stop up once in a while to take all of the amazing environment in, like Gapra Whitewood or when you're on Cocoon. I wish the game had a screenshot feature :(

- The soundtrack is really good. Some great more ambient songs along with memorable "gamey" tunes (Blaze Edge or Hanged Edge for example). I might go as far as claiming the soundtrack is a serious contender for the best FF music. I might have to pick it up.

- The battle system is also incredibly entertaining. The game felt much more faster paced and as a result, much more enjoyable when battling endless numbers of enemies.

- The story and characters were mediocre or bad. The themes (fate, fear, choice etc.) were really great as premises, but the execution was flawed. It was especially in the final two chapters that things felt rushed and the lack of fleshed out villains kind of made the overall motivation feel hollow. But I was very intrigued by the characters' dilemma of completing their focus vs. saving Cocoon. A moment I enjoyed, was the end of chapter 10,
when the characters finally chooses to escape their Focus and instead regroup in Gran Pulse/Oerba. The pre-rendered cutscene felt really emotional due to the group helping each other out.
The characters ranged from relatable to one-dimensional to downright atrocious. I expected Hope to be whiny throughout the game, but after his development, his character, along with his voice acting, became really mature and respectable. Vanille on the other hand must have been clinically classified as a retard. She's probably the worst character I have ever seen or listened to in any form of entertainment. This may be attributed to the localisation, but her running animation suggests otherwise. Lightning, Fang and Sazh were okay to good. Snow irritated me to no end, especially with all of his "hero" bullshit. But I learned to view him as that retarded friend you just pat on the back whenever he says something and tell him "Yes, you're special." So by the final couple of chapters I got a couple of laughs over how inept his comments were.

There are a lot of complaints about the game, especially in relation to earlier FFs. I understand the sentiments, but I don't agree with them. This game is a more than decent, if not great, addition to the series. I had a much better time playing this than VIII-X and XII. The criticism of the game's linearity and the lack of 'towns' are some of the arguments that are levelled at the game. I would say that this is a problem, but I much more prefer this streamlined approach than the offline MMO-grinding that FFXII felt like. Things didn't feel shallow or tiresome as the open-world gameplay of earlier FFs and other JRPGs would end up being after a couple of hours of grinding, due to the fact that XIII always has a purpose when playing. Besides, X was just as linear as this game in most respects.

Overall, it's a good, but not great game and I would definitely recommend it if the person in question knew what he or she was going into. I had a great ride/experience.

7Th said:

I love FFXIII

And I DESPISE THE ENDING!

How dare they finish it in 5 minutes flat.

leng jai

Lime said:
So completed the game a couple of days ago. I am extremely positive about it, in spite of some flaws. I should add that I had low expectations when I bought it and I also read every new datapad entry concerning the story and the universe.

- The art direction and the graphics/production values are just mind blowing. I just had to stop up once in a while to take all of the amazing environment in, like Gapra Whitewood or when you're on Cocoon. I wish the game had a screenshot feature :(

- The soundtrack is really good. Some great more ambient songs along with memorable "gamey" tunes (Blaze Edge or Hanged Edge for example). I might go as far as claiming the soundtrack is a serious contender for the best FF music. I might have to pick it up.

- The battle system is also incredibly entertaining. The game felt much more faster paced and as a result, much more enjoyable when battling endless numbers of enemies.

- The story and characters were mediocre or bad. The themes (fate, fear, choice etc.) were really great as premises, but the execution was flawed. It was especially in the final two chapters that things felt rushed and the lack of fleshed out villains kind of made the overall motivation feel hollow. But I was very intrigued by the characters' dilemma of completing their focus vs. saving Cocoon. A moment I enjoyed, was the end of chapter 10,
when the characters finally chooses to escape their Focus and instead regroup in Gran Pulse/Oerba. The pre-rendered cutscene felt really emotional due to the group helping each other out.
The characters ranged from relatable to one-dimensional to downright atrocious. I expected Hope to be whiny throughout the game, but after his development, his character, along with his voice acting, became really mature and respectable. Vanille on the other hand must have been clinically classified as a retard. She's probably the worst character I have ever seen or listened to in any form of entertainment. This may be attributed to the localisation, but her running animation suggests otherwise. Lightning, Fang and Sazh were okay to good. Snow irritated me to no end, especially with all of his "hero" bullshit. But I learned to view him as that retarded friend you just pat on the back whenever he says something and tell him "Yes, you're special." So by the final couple of chapters I got a couple of laughs over how inept his comments were.

There are a lot of complaints about the game, especially in relation to earlier FFs. I understand the sentiments, but I don't agree with them. This game is a more than decent, if not great, addition to the series. I had a much better time playing this than VIII-X and XII. The criticism of the game's linearity and the lack of 'towns' are some of the arguments that are levelled at the game. I would say that this is a problem, but I much more prefer this streamlined approach than the offline MMO-grinding that FFXII felt like. Things didn't feel shallow or tiresome as the open-world gameplay of earlier FFs and other JRPGs would end up being after a couple of hours of grinding, due to the fact that XIII always has a purpose when playing. Besides, X was just as linear as this game in most respects.

Overall, it's a good, but not great game and I would definitely recommend it if the person in question knew what he or she was going into. I had a great ride/experience.

Do it. The LE is astonishingly beautiful.

Cornbread78

Blader5489 said:
I'm about halfway through chapter 11, and am starting to get worried that I'm going to have to do a lot of grinding just to get forward with the main story.
I really hope that's not the case, because that was what really killed XII for me.

It's not required that you have to, however, you do unconsiously just by accessing some of the side areas and exploring. I'm in the same area and I've maxed out all the base stats for my party already. and already have 100K in researve for when the chryo opens up again to level 5.

Question on that. Should I start working on the secondary's for everyone now, or just hold onto the CP until it does open up again?

Zoe

Cornbread78 said:
Question on that. Should I start working on the secondary's for everyone now, or just hold onto the CP until it does open up again?

Wait till at least chapter 13, but preferably post-game.

Prisen

RevenantKioku said:
Really? I never got GAF word, but I felt RE5 was better than 4 in... pretty much every way. Huh.

I only played the first few minutes until I quit due to the horrible screen tearing. Does that change significantly later in the game?

Prisen said:
I only played the first few minutes until I quit due to the horrible screen tearing. Does that change significantly later in the game?

were you playing it upscaled to 1080p?

I think MT framework has that problem when it's games are upscaled.

Aru

I already love FFXIII but playing FFVIII right now makes me realise that FFXIII's approach to the genre is welcomed.
Just fix the level design for the next game and it'll be a masterpiece. FFXIII is awesome but not a masterpiece...

Dresden

RevenantKioku said:
I might be wrong, but I think most of GAF feels the same way, although that might just be the usual backlash against a popular game going for RE5.

moojuice

Neo Member
Finally beat the game, was pretty enjoyable to me. Went back to do the missions, and FFFFFFFUUUUU I hate them so much... not for the missions themselves, but the placement of the stones. For example, mission 16 has me running across the map to finish it, then to activate mission 17 I pretty much have to run all the way back across the freaking map to about 20 feet away from where I picked up mission 16. Seriously contemplating sitting down to map out all the stones ahead of time and mapping the quickest possible "route" to do them with minimal backtracking.

Torquill

So...the theme of the game is defying fate
and yet at the end we slaughter Orphan with no explanation so to our motives for doing this fairly stupid thing?

Torquill said:
So...the theme of the game is defying fate
and yet at the end we slaughter Orphan with no explanation so to our motives for doing this fairly stupid thing?
Yeah at the ending I was like "wasn't that what they wanted you to do"? Its like the writers made all these rules and explanations for the focus stuff and then frogot about them.

Anyway been playing this on the Xbox recently and yeah its kind of a downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom