• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
NaughtyCalibur said:
Anybody here have any good power leveling tips for someone stuck on Chapter 11 like myself? I found this spot in the Fifth Tier of the tower that has five of those Pulse Gladiator dudes that give 8k CP once defeated, but I'm having a hard time making them respawn. I'll go up the stairs and into the hallway, then walk back down and sometimes they'll be respawned, sometimes not.

Wondering if there's any other spots I should be aware of...
Whatever tier that's before the boss of that level (it may be five or six, don't really remember) is good because there are some easy flying enemies there that give about 3000 CP each. And there are also some bats that will give you about 4500 CP if I remember correctly.

Cep

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Death is a natural process that the lack of would lead, literally, to endless suffering.

Ignoring the fact that there are many different types of death god with many different dispositions and duties.

You got: Shepherds, Reapers, Guardians, Kings/tyrants

Different reasons for death: Fate (incarnation or immaterial), natural process

And not to mention that many of these gods often do not like their jobs, and are resigned to their roles (Ex: Hades, he got got the short end when his brothers were dividing the spoils from the Titans. And other than that entire rape thing, he is a pretty decent guy.)

Cep said:
Ignoring the fact that there are many different types of death god with many different dispositions and duties.

You got: Shepherds, Reapers, Guardians, Kings/tyrants

Different reasons for death: Fate (incarnation or immaterial), natural process

And not to mention that many of these gods often do not like their jobs, and are resigned to their roles (Ex: Hades, he got got the short end when his brothers were dividing the spoils from the Titans). And other than that entire rape thing, he is a pretty decent guy.

Hades isn't death(god of the dead, sure, but not death), he controls the underworld but there is an entirely different god who has to collect souls in the first place.

Edit: You already mentioned the 4 types of death so never mind.

Also, I was talking more about the fact that with out death overpopulation would ensue very quickly for all species and everything would physically suffer as a result.

Torquill

More thoughts

Anyone else figure Oerba was fucked up by Cocoon after the first War as an act of retribution and to use some of it's infastructure for materials? We know Anima was the patron fal'Cie of the village so I assume they plucked his vestiage straight from the village.

On the Bart/Orphan relationship. Perhaps Dysley is a maniphestation of Orphan, an extension, a shard of his power. Strike at it all you want and he'll laugh it off because the core still remains, chilling in that little pool. When lindzei left perhaps the core longed for release while also hoping it would return Lindzei.

(This one is a reach, but just an intersting thought) Orphan states "From shattered shards a new crystal legend is born." Aside from being a Fabula Nova Crystallis reference, perhaps all fal'Cie exist, like Anima, as a crystal. With the machinery just built on top of it. A crystal containing divine energy. If the fal'Cie were made, literally, from pieces of the maker is the maker just a mother crystal? There is certainly series precendence for such a thing. If Lindzei and Pulse are both "The Maker" to their respective children, are all the god's crystals?

(highly speculative, not sure even I actually think all this :p)
If Lindzei was Cocoon's architetect then it was not originally built with the intention of bringing back a Maker. He wouldn't necessarily have the concept of a Maker to want to bring back. And this fits the fal'Cie not being able to destroy Cocoon or hurt each other. WHy would LIndzei want his jewel destroyed? I'm nto sure he's wholly evil. If he had no ultrior motives to inviting humans to live with him, that seemed like a nice gesture. Perhaps this is Lindzei's version of an ark for whatever evil was coming. The Pulsians would certainly be upset that he leeched their resources to build it, which explains the animosity. IF this being the case, when he left, for whatever reason, the original core fal'Cie (the name Orphan wouldn't have fit until Lindzei left) was certainly bad shit insane. Wanted to kill itself, and Pulse l'Cie seemed like the most likely candiate so he jumped on the chance when two showed up.

Why doesn't Snow ever figure out that rushing into Dysley will lead to a green shield smackdown? :lol

Cep

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Also, I was talking more about the fact that with out death overpopulation would ensue very quickly for all species and everything would physically suffer as a result.

True.

I once read a book in which Death decided to stop collecting souls.

Ground the world to halt as people continued to suffer after their 'death.'

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Darthdevidem01 said:
Because it robs people of the best thing in the world, life.

Is the Grim Reaper sympathetic?

I'd fucking kill myself with a rusty spoon this instant if this is what would welcome me when I died

190px-Death-Sandman.jpg

Cep said:
True.

I once read a book in which Death decided to stop collecting souls.

Ground the world to halt as people continued to suffer after their 'death.'

Discworld, right? Death quits his job and goes on vacation IIRC :lol

Cep

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Heroes never run from a fight!

How do I reconcile my love for Troy Baker and Snow (the design) versus my searing hatred for Snow (the character)?

So much fucking dissonance! It is killing meeeeee!

*Goes back to Nocturne*

Torquill said:
More thoughts

Anyone else figure Oerba was fucked up by Cocoon after the first War as an act of retribution and to use some of it's infastructure for materials? We know Anima was the patron fal'Cie of the village so I assume they plucked his vestiage straight from the village.

On the Bart/Orphan relationship. Perhaps Dysley is a maniphestation of Orphan, an extension, a shard of his power. Strike at it all you want and he'll laugh it off because the core still remains, chilling in that little pool. When lindzei left perhaps the core longed for release while also hoping it would return Lindzei.

(This one is a reach, but just an intersting thought) Orphan states "From shattered shards a new crystal legend is born." Aside from being a Fabula Nova Crystallis reference, perhaps all fal'Cie exist, like Anima, as a crystal. With the machinery just built on top of it. A crystal containing divine energy. If the fal'Cie were made, literally, from pieces of the maker is the maker just a mother crystal? There is certainly series precendence for such a thing. If Lindzei and Pulse are both "The Maker" to their respective children, are all the god's crystals?

(highly speculative, not sure even I actually think all this :p)
If Lindzei was Cocoon's architetect then it was not originally built with the intention of bringing back a Maker. He wouldn't necessarily have the concept of a Maker to want to bring back. And this fits the fal'Cie not being able to destroy Cocoon or hurt each other. WHy would LIndzei want his jewel destroyed? I'm nto sure he's wholly evil. If he had no ultrior motives to inviting humans to live with him, that seemed like a nice gesture. Perhaps this is Lindzei's version of an ark for whatever evil was coming. The Pulsians would certainly be upset that he leeched their resources to build it, which explains the animosity. IF this being the case, when he left, for whatever reason, the original core fal'Cie (the name Orphan wouldn't have fit until Lindzei left) was certainly bad shit insane. Wanted to kill itself, and Pulse l'Cie seemed like the most likely candiate so he jumped on the chance when two showed up.

Why doesn't Snow ever figure out that rushing into Dysley will lead to a green shield smackdown? :lol

I'll discuss by each paragraph:

1. Well yes Anima probably helped to protect the village, it may have provided food & so on too. But another reason is that you know you see white stuff flowing off cocoon when you are in Oerba? My theory is when Ragnarok broke the outer shell of cocoon the WHOLE SHELL fell on Oerba, or a lot of it did.....so it was like asteroid falling on the village. Thats why in once scene int he game Fang says pulse is ruined because of her. Thats my theory anyway. It would explain that crystal dust in Oerba, thats just the shell's remnant.

2. I believe Lindzei created the outer core of cocoon & charged barthandelous with the task of taking care of everything else. Because fron analects we know Lindzei was jealous that the "halowed Pulse" god made the whole pulse, so Lindzei wanted to make his own "world". As Lindzei is seen as the "devil" cocoon was a form of temptation for the humans on pulse. Finally I think something happened to make Lindzei & Hallowed Pulse leave....thats when barthandelous probably felt abandoned & he orchestrated the whole "lets build cocoon as a factory" idea.

3. Don't know what to make of that, sorry. By a new crystal legend I think Fang + Vanille might be "gods"...but thats a silly idea {shudders to think of vanille as a god}

4. Like I said before in part 2. I think Lindzei never planned to leave. He just wanted to make his "own" world there too & tempt humans to live there. But he left for some reason which we don't know & this lead to brathandelous feeling abandoned. I think barthandelous might be Lindzei's son, like the son of the devil.

5. Snow is silly, but cool

Ok finally the reason the Gods left might have to do with that "evil" the arks were built for. Maybe another planet needed the God's help at the time, like from what we know of versus XIII so far, the crystal in Noctis's kingdom is the only one remaining, maybe the gods went there to make more crystal fal'cie. Who knows.....either FFXIII-2 will answer this or versus XIII/Agito XIII

Darthdevidem01 said:
I'll discuss by each paragraph:

2. I believe Lindzei created the outer core of cocoon & charged barthandelous with the task of taking care of everything else. Because fron analects we know Lindzei was jealous that the "halowed Pulse" god made the whole pulse, so Lindzei wanted to make his own "world". As Lindzei is seen as the "devil" cocoon was a form of temptation for the humans on pulse. Finally I think something happened to make Lindzei & Hallowed Pulse leave....thats when barthandelous probably felt abandoned & he orchestrated the whole "lets build cocoon as a factory" idea.

4. Like I said before in part 2. I think Lindzei never planned to leave. He just wanted to make his "own" world there too & tempt humans to live there. But he left for some reason which we don't know & this lead to brathandelous feeling abandoned. I think barthandelous might be Lindzei's son, like the son of the devil.

See I think
Lindzei is Barthandelus.

Die Squirrel Die said:
See I think
Lindzei is Barthandelus.

Although one part of the analect mentions that that is possible
apparently in the Japanese version its made clear he isn't Lindzei (thats what someone said on ffxiii.net)

If Barthandelous is Lindzei it would ruin my whole theory!

Darthdevidem01 said:
Although one part of the analect mentions that that is possible
apparently in the Japanese version its made clear he isn't Lindzei (thats what someone said on ffxiii.net)

If Barthandelous is Lindzei it would ruin my whole theory!

The guides story analysis alludes to the fact that Barthandelus is Lindzei, who created Cocoon to lure humans for sacrifice.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Darthdevidem01 said:
Grind grind grind
Wait, when did anyone grind in this game. Seriously?

Prisen said:
I only played the first few minutes until I quit due to the horrible screen tearing. Does that change significantly later in the game?
I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it.

Chris R

RevenantKioku said:
Well... If you are going for certain trophies, you kinda do need to grind for Gil. But I guess that is a trade off somehow. Because if they added gil as a normal enemy drop, the game would be too easy, so instead you get to farm Adamantoise for 15 hours after you beat the game :D

edit: But if you are talking just in the general course of the game, doing no missions in Chpt 11 other than the tower ones, ect, the game would probably be much harder. I spent an hour or so "grinding" mission 7 to get sprint shoes and then went on from there. Spending that time doing those missions allowed me to upgrade several of my weapons as well, making the rest of the game a breeze.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
rhfb said:
Well... If you are going for certain trophies, you kinda do need to grind for Gil. But I guess that is a trade off somehow. Because if they added gil as a normal enemy drop, the game would be too easy, so instead you get to farm Adamantoise for 15 hours after you beat the game :D
Fair enough. I was talking about the main game, though. Sure, I found it challenging, but it was always a matter of changing my strategy or accessories, not grinding.

I completely skipped the Chapter 11 missions, actually. Well, I did the first one, I think.

And I did have to upgrade my weapons/accessories for the final fight, but considering I pretty much ignored the system prior, that's mostly on me.

RevenantKioku said:

I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it.

I had to, I couldn't beat the chp 11 boss.

But the game made grinding fun because I absolutely love the battle system.

RevenantKioku said:

What strategy did you use to beat the last boss of Chapter 11, then? I'm not even asking this to be a dick -- I'm dead serious. If you can help me avoid grinding, then by all means help a brother out.

Pooya

NaughtyCalibur said:
What strategy did you use to beat the last boss of Chapter 11, then? I'm not even asking this to be a dick -- I'm dead serious. If you can help me avoid grinding, then by all means help a brother out.
poison works great.

RevenantKioku

NaughtyCalibur said:
What was the Chapter 11 boss? Sorry, I've got a terrible memory.
If it's what I think it is
five heads redux
my party was Fang, Lightning, Hope. Hope had Rainbow Anklet equipped to keep Stop from getting to him. I really can't remember if Lightning had Esuna at this point, but going into Defender/Healer/Healer was pretty useful. I started with attack buffing smoke on. It was working on breaking him, going between Attacker/Blaster/Blaster and Attacker/Blaster/Healer. Once broken I went to Attack/Attacker/Blaster because of how high Lightning's attack was. The first time, I tried buffing myself, but with how often he negates your buffs it's not worth the effort. I always try to save my summon for when shit goes down hard and I need to revive Hope and Lightning at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that's how it went down, but like I said I have a terrible memory.

Parts

I'm only three hours or so in, but am really suprised at how much I'm enjoying this game. I think I might be a JRPG fan without ever knowing it (except Pokemon) as I find myself battling every enemy and loving it, not finding the linear corridors tedious at all. The combat is pimpin', especially after unlocking Paradigm Shifts. I can't always tell what the fuck is going on though. :lol

Also, the story is terrible but I like it. I don't know how to explain why, and the dialogue/voice acting is pretty terrible (with some exeptions) but there's just something endearing about how hamfisted/cheesy/obscure the whole thing is. Also, the dude with the bird in his hair kicks ass.

Teknoman

Wow... Chapter 9,
when the primarch
transformed...really was not expecting that. Now im ticked off because the guy keeps blasting me into oblivion at the last minute :lol You'd think having at least one sentinel would help.

Dabanton

Parts said:
I'm only three hours or so in, but am really suprised at how much I'm enjoying this game. I think I might be a JRPG fan without ever knowing it (except Pokemon) as I find myself battling every enemy and loving it, not finding the linear corridors tedious at all. The combat is pimpin', especially after unlocking Paradigm Shifts. I can't always tell what the fuck is going on though. :lol

Also, the story is terrible but I like it. I don't know how to explain why, and the dialogue/voice acting is pretty terrible (with some exeptions) but there's just something endearing about how hamfisted/cheesy/obscure the whole thing is. Also, the dude with the bird in his hair kicks ass.

Same here i picked up the PS3 version last friday it was £10 a bargain.

Really put some time into it on Sunday,the story so far is mega cheesy but engaging the dialogue is hilarious "Moms are tough" and is it Hope the androgynous boy/girl the character is so overwrought dropping to his knees at the first sign of any trouble.

The battle system is really fun half the time the battles are over before i've realised whats going on. :lol

But i like that they are breaking players in slowly.

I have a save point at the Ch. 11 boss (as I do with most major battles in rpg for later experimentation) with a party that 5-starred it on second try. Loaded it up and the setup was:

-- Snow/Vanille/Sazh, default RAV/SAB/SYN (Guerilla)
-- Snow was weapon Umbra 14, Witch's Bracelet, Rainbow Anklet, Warrior's Wristband
-- Vanille was weapon Malboro Wand 15, Warding Talisman, Sorcerer's Mark, Watchman's amulet (this combo gave bonus 30% Buff duration)
-- Sazh was Canopus Amps 17, Pearl Necklace Lv. 3, Rainbow Anklet 5

Main thing I changed after the first try was to put on those Rainbow anklets to fight Daze. Otherwise, being quick on the draw with shifting paradigms mostly between my usual Relentless Assault, Diversity, Guerilla, and Combat Clinic (Sazh had minor Medic capacity) in order of offense to defense.

I played through the game without a faq, so this is simply what worked for me at the time using what I had. Indeed, most of this stuff was just upgraded by whim along the way (that Malboro wand is great though).

Hah, Growth Egg get. Totally cheap, I used the Vanille Death Trick, then just turtled with Vanille as a RAV, Hope as a MED and Snow as a SEN to take out its young 'uns, occassionally switching to Vanille as a MED and Hope as a SYN whenever it was safe.

It took me 00:12:19 to beat, still 5 stars because the target time was 00:21:15.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Hah, Growth Egg get. Totally cheap, I used the Vanille Death Trick, then just turtled with Vanille as a RAV, Hope as a MED and Snow as a SEN to take out its young 'uns, occassionally switching to Vanille as a MED and Hope as a SYN whenever it was safe.

It took me 00:12:19 to beat, still 5 stars because the target time was 00:21:15.

Got mine earlier as well, also using Vanille's Death spell. Post-game I have started looking at tips to expedite things. I got lucky and nailed the target on my first battle but it was close afterwards, called out Hecatoncheir to keep things from going south. Also got a 5-star, though IIRC took me less than 10 minutes I believe (don't recall target time). But then again these battles often feel shorter than the time actually listed when finishing.

Chris R

I hated getting the Growth Egg :lol first time death worked, I died to the others grouped around it, second time (like 40 tries later) I finally won. Now I'm powerful enough to take one out solo without having to reset because it can't kill me (so even though it takes me 3 minuets to get death off, I don't have to hit retry every time heh).

All the time I was chipping away at the little guys I was thinking 'at least I'll get the Growth Egg, I can figure out a proper 5 star strategy later', so it was a pleasant suprise. Now am I right in thinking that having it equipped doubles the CP for everybody?

BuckRobotron said:
I have a save point at the Ch. 11 boss (as I do with most major battles in rpg for later experimentation) with a party that 5-starred it on second try. Loaded it up and the setup was:

-- Snow/Vanille/Sazh, default RAV/SAB/SYN (Guerilla)
-- Snow was weapon Umbra 14, Witch's Bracelet, Rainbow Anklet, Warrior's Wristband
-- Vanille was weapon Malboro Wand 15, Warding Talisman, Sorcerer's Mark, Watchman's amulet (this combo gave bonus 30% Buff duration)
-- Sazh was Canopus Amps 17, Pearl Necklace Lv. 3, Rainbow Anklet 5.

And this is why getting 5 stars is meaningless when you can grind for better gear to make it easier.

mjemirzian said:
And this is why getting 5 stars is meaningless when you can grind for better gear to make it easier.

Bah, that was simply running around and enjoying the battles, doing something like 25-30% of the hunts at that time (I did require 5-star on each that I tried before moving on though) and not passing up any fights along the way. No deliberate grinding.

Hah, I'm actually about to take on the mission that inspired me to close the chapter back then since grinding wasn't part of the plan....Number 27
Mithridates
at the top of the
Taejin's Tower
. Wasn't able to make it work--never mind 5-star--with my levels/items at the time, so moved on. Let's see how this goes now...

And not so good, unoptimized, only 3-stars first try. Switch in some Fulmen rings and avoid relying on Saboteur...second try inconclusive as Vanille is KO'd practically at battle start...:lol

Third try, same setup, no sols, 5-star. Avoiding an improper paradigm was most important...Moving on.

Torquill

There are two problems with Bart being Lindzei. First I think there's an Analect that states Lindzei departed (forcibly I believe) second if Bart is Lindzei than Orphan's name doesn't make any sense, because his "father" would still be present. Lindzei made the Cocoon fal'Cie.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just started, a little over an hour in.

Vanille's voice isn't as bad as I expected it would be from all the hate, but the actual way she acts...hmm.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
Doing another write up of sorts.

Something like a second review?

Oh and I'm replaying the game for the graphics and the battle system despite platinuming it. :lol Playing it together with TLR.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ULTROS! said:
Something like a second review?

Oh and I'm replaying the game for the graphics and the battle system despite platinuming it. :lol Playing it together with TLR.

Yes and something even greater.

BuckRobotron said:
Bah, that was simply running around and enjoying the battles, doing something like 25-30% of the hunts at that time (I did require 5-star on each that I tried before moving on though) and not passing up any fights along the way. No deliberate grinding.

The scoring system is still illegitimate - 5 stars is meaningless. And you don't have to fight a single optional encounter in the large ch 11 area to keep progressing through the game.

By the way people have already beat the game with no crystarium usage (although it involves brain melting amounts of grinding).

People complaining about the simplicity of the combat.. it doesn't get much more complex in RPGs, you'll have to move to SRPG or TBS games to get more complexity/difficulty.

mjemirzian said:
By the way people have already beat the game with no crystarium usage (although it involves brain melting amounts of grinding).

That's honestly mind-boggling to me. I can't imagine how much difficult the game must be that way.

mjemirzian said:
The scoring system is still illegitimate - 5 stars is meaningless. And you don't have to fight a single optional encounter in the large ch 11 area to keep progressing through the game.

People complaining about the simplicity of the combat.. it doesn't get much more complex in RPGs, you'll have to move to SRPG or TBS games to get more complexity/difficulty.

The 5 star system is very clearly flawed from the outset given the availability of the powerful -sols to manipulate most battles beforehand. Or for that matter using Death on an enemy to quickly end a fight and still get 5 stars...to offer the most obvious abuse of the rating...:lol

However, it can still give a simple measure of relative competence in general for a given battle, and to see how one's own shift in strategies affect the outcome. As in the example given earlier, how a shift in paradigm usage largely changed a 3-star effort to a 5-star.

And of course we all know those hunts in 11 are optional, but I personally deem it silly not to engage them to some degree rather than bypass them, especially the first generally sequenced batch of 10 set up as an invitation.

But regardless of how one chooses to play FFXIII--be it rushing to the yellow arrow, grinding, or simply taking the scenic route and trying optional missions--I believe most of us in this thread right now are indeed similarly enthused about the overall battle system.

After playing through all the End Game and reading the Analects you can really see Square setting up Versus XIII. This is most exciting

Need more mythos speculation!

ichinisan said:
After playing through all the End Game and reading the Analects you can really see Square setting up Versus XIII. This is most exciting

What analect are you talking about? I'm sure I read it but I'm not 100% sure.

dramatis

ichinisan said:

Considering that both games have different writers, I think you are jumping ahead of yourself.

Kagari said:
Doing another write up of sorts.

Announcement of an announcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom