• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzy-4U

Teknoman said:
Wow... Chapter 9,
when the primarch
transformed...really was not expecting that. Now im ticked off because the guy keeps blasting me into oblivion at the last minute :lol You'd think having at least one sentinel would help.
There is no need for sentinel nor defensive buffs. Attack him with full force when he is charging. His attack damage will go down as you hit him and when he finally releases it, it won't hurt you.

Torquill said:
There are two problems with Bart being Lindzei. First I think there's an Analect that states Lindzei departed (forcibly I believe) second if Bart is Lindzei than Orphan's name doesn't make any sense, because his "father" would still be present. Lindzei made the Cocoon fal'Cie.

I just unlocked that Analect last night. To be honest I'm slightly disappointed.
To me it felt like Barthandelus was slightly more than a regular Fal'Cie, he seemed to have at least some autonomy in his actions. Also it would have meant that Cocoon was built with the intention of being destroyed, instead of just being built for the heck of it and then coopted for Bart's plan. Still, I'm not giving up entirely on the theory, the Analects are written from a Pulsian perspective, and if Lindzei became Barthandelus, then hid behind the guise of Dysley, it would appear that he had fled.

http://www.square-enix.com/jpn/ir/index.html (page 9)

Square Enix Results for the year ended March 31, 2010 [millions of yen]
Net Sales: 192,257
Net Income: 9,509

FY2009 Sales of Major Titles

| Title Name | Platform | Region | Unit Sales |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Final Fantasy XIII | PS3,360 | J,NA,E,A | 5,550,000 |

_________

Congrats FFXIII.

FFXII shipped 5.6 Million eventually I believe, S-E said their aim was to ship 6 Million, looks like it will surpass their expectations in sales.

Torquill

Die Squirrel Die said:
I just unlocked that Analect last night. To be honest I'm slightly disappointed.
To me it felt like Barthandelus was slightly more than a regular Fal'Cie, he seemed to have at least some autonomy in his actions. Also it would have meant that Cocoon was built with the intention of being destroyed, instead of just being built for the heck of it and then coopted for Bart's plan. Still, I'm not giving up entirely on the theory, the Analects are written from a Pulsian perspective, and if Lindzei became Barthandelus, then hid behind the guise of Dysley, it would appear that he had fled.
That's true. The Analects are written from perspective, so you never know :).

Torquill said:
That's true. The Analects are written from perspective, so you never know :).

By the way, you know the eidolon parade in
chapter 8, well thats the war of transgressions from a cocoonian perspective. How true do you think their version is? apparently the cocoon l'cie turned into ragnarok in that fight & killed the other ragnarok.

rhfb said:
I hated getting the Growth Egg :lol first time death worked, I died to the others grouped around it, second time (like 40 tries later) I finally won. Now I'm powerful enough to take one out solo without having to reset because it can't kill me (so even though it takes me 3 minuets to get death off, I don't have to hit retry every time heh).

Just did this mark last night. Same thing happened to me. Just barely survived, but managed to get the limit breaker trophy from it and the growth egg. yay

Cornbread78

mjemirzian said:
The scoring system is still illegitimate - 5 stars is meaningless. And you don't have to fight a single optional encounter in the large ch 11 area to keep progressing through the game.

By the way people have already beat the game with no crystarium usage (although it involves brain melting amounts of grinding).

People complaining about the simplicity of the combat.. it doesn't get much more complex in RPGs, you'll have to move to SRPG or TBS games to get more complexity/difficulty.

Half the fun of RPGs, in general, is exploring and challanging yourself to get everything you can and take advantage of whatever items, weapons and armor you can get to help you along the way. Seriously, the second I got to
Gran Pulse
I ran around the whole map testing enemies out just to see what was ahead, then I got lost for awhile on one of the side maps. Needless to say, by the time I got back onto the path of Chp. 11, I had already maxed the Cryo out for the characters. People get really pissed because of how linear the story is, but in reality, if they opened all those levels up as well, the game could go on for hundreds and hundreds of hours. They gave us about a 50 hour game if you play straight through and you don't take any stops along the way, and around 100 hours if you do all the side missions. The battle systems keeps things fresh and the vasriety of enemies makes it so you can switch between all the paradigms to attack in a different way.

Zoe

mjemirzian said:
The scoring system is still illegitimate - 5 stars is meaningless. And you don't have to fight a single optional encounter in the large ch 11 area to keep progressing through the game.

You won't think 5 stars is meaningless once you're trying to farm rare drops.

Ricker

Darthdevidem01 said:
http://www.square-enix.com/jpn/ir/index.html (page 9)

Square Enix Results for the year ended March 31, 2010 [millions of yen]
Net Sales: 192,257
Net Income: 9,509

FY2009 Sales of Major Titles

| Title Name | Platform | Region | Unit Sales |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Final Fantasy XIII | PS3,360 | J,NA,E,A | 5,550,000 |

_________

Congrats FFXIII.

FFXII shipped 5.6 Million eventually I believe, S-E said their aim was to ship 6 Million, looks like it will surpass their expectations in sales.

Awesome,wow,I guess Final Fantasy is one of those rare games that sells great because of it`s name...and the game was pretty damn good,IMHO,as well,grats.

Been mentionned a few times but I would love a spin-off with some of the characters in this game,or some kind of DLC or something,during the long wait for FFXV.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Is the rest of the game basically a straight line of fights once you leave pulse? I think I am halfway through chapter 12 and I basically have no inclination whatsoever to finish this. I was hoping the game was going to be more open ended after the first 25 hours but it is pretty much getting back to the same shit it started with. If it is more of the same, I'll take the $23 GameStop is offering. That way I'll only have squandered $7 and three dozen hours. :-\

darkwings said:
why are people saying post game? There is nothing new after you beat the final boss and you can complete all missions before that.

Well, you gain a new Crystarium level, thats something new that you couldn't get before that.

:lol

Anyway, I'm trying to get the Taphozoedron...or whatever is called, does having the item that raises the chances of getting normal items crashes with one what to get more rare items?

I'm getting Platinum Ingots (2 of 2) so maybe those could have been the rare one....

darkwings said:
why are people saying post game? There is nothing new after you beat the final boss and you can complete all missions before that.

Because saying 'content that is mostly not necesary to complete the game, but can be completed before the final boss although most people will probably wait until after the credits, if only to unlock the last crystarium level' may be more accurate, but everybody knows what post-game content refers to.

Blizrad

Neo Member
darkwings said:

Post game, new areas are unlocked and the Crystarium is expanded.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
With all the games coming out lately... I'm still very close to replaying FFXIII :)

Torquill

darkwings said:
That's true of every FF game. It refers to content that is harder than the final plot segments.

Zoe

Torquill said:
That's true of every FF game. It refers to content that is harder than the final plot segments.

No, in this game it's referring to something that can't be achieved until the final boss is defeated.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
After starting my 2nd play of FFXIII. I notice that Snow winks alot.

Snow: I am your hero!
*Wink*
... Moms are tough

ULTROS! said:
After starting my 2nd play of FFXIII. I notice that Snow winks alot.

Snow: I am your hero!
*Wink*
... Moms are tough
:lol That's our hero!

I'm hoping to beat this game this upcoming weekend. I've been so busy the past couple of months that I'm still on my first playthrough. Currently at the chapter 12 boss. I should be able to get to the end if I put a few hrs in this weekend right?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm guessing It will take you 3-4 hours approx. if you start at chapter 13.

I finally got to chapter 8 w/ 28 hours played. Unsure if that's full time as I may have forgotten to pause but it seems correct.

The game is def. starting to pick up. I also have been killing every single enemy is every area. As a result my cryst. is almost maxed out before being opened up again. Is this a good strategy?

ULTROS!

Yeah. It's not like the enemies level up with you though.

Scythesurge said:
Alright, sounds doable. It has been a long journey, and it needs to end!

Enjoy the end and tell us what you think about it. :D

The_Inquisitor said:
I finally got to chapter 8 w/ 28 hours played. Unsure if that's full time as I may have forgotten to pause but it seems correct.

The game is def. starting to pick up. I also have been killing every single enemy is every area. As a result my cryst. is almost maxed out before being opened up again. Is this a good strategy?
To be honest, I've found the best strategy to be fighting only smaller groups or easier enemies to earn CP. Or I guess I should say most efficient...if you are having difficulty defeating certain enemies it's probably best to try to avoid those fights.

ULTROS! said:
Enjoy the end and tell us what you think about it. :D
I certainly will! :D

Scythesurge said:
To be honest, I've found the best strategy to be fighting only smaller groups or easier enemies to earn CP. Or I guess I should say most efficient...if you are having difficulty defeating certain enemies it's probably best to try to avoid those fights.

I certainly will! :D

I admit I have died a few times on normal mobs, but I really seem to kick ass having two relentless assault cards in my deck and just alternating between the two using Fang, Hope, and Lightening. If I am hurt, I swap to SEN/MED/COM. If I fight a boss and they are immune to status ailments, I swap between relentess, my healing card, and the COM/RAV/SYN card.

I never sit on the same paradigm. Even if I need to buff I swap between buffing and relentless. Seems to work really well so far.

The_Inquisitor said:
I admit I have died a few times on normal mobs, but I really seem to kick ass having two relentless assault cards in my deck and just alternating between the two using Fang, Hope, and Lightening. If I am hurt, I swap to SEN/MED/COM. If I fight a boss and they are immune to status ailments, I swap between relentess, my healing card, and the COM/RAV/SYN card.

I never sit on the same paradigm. Even if I need to buff I swap between buffing and relentless. Seems to work really well so far.
Yeah it sounds like you are battling well. I found some of the enemies in ch 10 and 11 to be particularly annoying so I ended up skipping a bunch of fights whereas in the beginning I fought everyone I saw. Ultimately it's up to you.

Scythesurge said:
Yeah it sounds like you are battling well. I found some of the enemies in ch 10 and 11 to be particularly annoying so I ended up skipping a bunch of fights whereas in the beginning I fought everyone I saw. Ultimately it's up to you.

For sure. From what I have heard, Ch. 10 & 11 mobs require a SAB. I pretty much think I am sticking to Lightening, Hope, and Fang for remainder of game. They just seem to mesh so well.

I am not looking forward to getting my treasure hunter achievement. I have become an achievement whore as of late. :lol :lol I might do what I am doing with Mass Effect 2. I beat ME2 once paradigm. I have set it aside for a bit to beat some other games. Eventually I will beat it again renegade to get the last of my achievements.

Only issue with this is that I am going to lose some trade value. But that really doesn't matter as much when people are getting the game new for 49.99 dollars these days.

Cornbread78

The_Inquisitor said:

Pre-emp. Pre-emp, pre-emp...that is your best friend in this game, once I got to the open world, I found those little penguin looking this, and got a pre-emmptive strike on them, then BOO YAAA. 30 sec battle and more CP than anywhere else.

I also used quake ALOT with larger groups of enemies. if you add pre-emptive strikes, plus Quake, all enemies get staggered right away and are easy to get rid of.

Guys who have beat the game I got a few questions.

does this game have an open world where you can go and explore fly with your airship,car or other type of transportation?

Find a ton of hidden wepons,items, think celestial weopons in FF10, or a creating super weapons from FF12?

lvl up characters so they are awesome?

Cornbread78 said:
Pre-emp. Pre-emp, pre-emp...that is your best friend in this game, once I got to the open world, I found those little penguin looking this, and got a pre-emmptive strike on them, then BOO YAAA. 30 sec battle and more CP than anywhere else.

I also used quake ALOT with larger groups of enemies. if you add pre-emptive strikes, plus Quake, all enemies get staggered right away and are easy to get rid of.

Oh yea. Quake is def. an amazing ability. I used it often on those huge groups of yellow guys on
The bad guys ship in Ch. 9
. They were so annoying!

ULTROS!

robertsan21 said:
Guys who have beat the game I got a few questions.

does this game have an open world where you can go and explore fly with your airship,car or other type of transportation?

Find a ton of hidden wepons,items, think celestial weopons in FF10, or a creating super weapons from FF12?

lvl up characters so they are awesome?

Yes at Chapter
. But it's just a big-ass area where you fight monsters and look at pretty backgrounds. The only form of transportation is a Chocobo. No flying stuff.

You have to create them and there are 3 iterations for each weapon (5-7 per character, don't remember though). The final iteration of each weapon group (ex. rod weapons) is just collaboratively one ultimate weapon.

Crystatrium grid, similar to the FFX grid but it's linear. So no forms of direct leveling up.

Chris R

Just tried a summonless Adamantoise kill... DIDN'T GO WELL :lol

Guess I need to farm more shit to boost my stats before I attempt it again. Still thinking about dismantling my Nirvana since I'm still sitting at a single Trap but like 20 Plat Ingots so far :| Using an item spreadsheet and I'm at like 62% for accessories and like 40% for weapons :(

I finally beat the story yesterday, and I was wondering if it was ever said what happened to
Hope's dad

I really enjoyed the game! Certainly not the best thing ever, but it was fun.

UltimateIke said:
I finally beat the story yesterday, and I was wondering if it was ever said what happened to
Hope's dad

I really enjoyed the game! Certainly not the best thing ever, but it was fun.
The Calvary either took them aboard their ship or moved him somewhere safe. Either way hes with them

Rahxephon91 said:
The Calvary either took them aboard their ship or moved him somewhere safe. Either way hes with them
But the
Calvary are all Cie'th
by the end, so where'd they leave him? I wanted him to show up at the end with
Serah and Dajh
. :(

UltimateIke said:
But the
Calvary are all Cie'th
by the end, so where'd they leave him? I wanted him to show up at the end with
Serah and Dajh
. :(
I'm sure the Calvary didn't make him come with them on their raid and I doubt the entire unit is gone. All Hope says is that they took care of him so I can't assume that much.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Started Ch. 13 last night at 9:30, finished the game at around 1:30am. Final tally on the clock was 41 hours and change.

I really enjoyed the game, in fact I would say it ranks in the top 5 in the Final Fantasy pantheon for me.

Things I liked:
- The characters, and their interaction with each other
- Hope's story arc, which was my favorite
- The graphics. Simply jaw-dropping, and easily the most beautiful game I've played.
- The music. It was great stuff and I found myself noticing it more than I do usually in rpgs.
- The battle system. Fun as hell and not boring at all.
- Ended up liking the plot overall, but see below...

Things I disliked:
- The grunts, sighs, and groans from characters. It sounded quite often to my wife, who was often in the room but not watching me play, that sexual situations were going on in the game hehe.
- Doom. I'll curse that design decision till the day I die. "Hey, you're taking too long in this fight, how about we end it prematurely and you can do the whole fucking 20 minute fight over again, for no other good reason than we are pricks!"
- The confusing plot early in the game. Seriously, nearly gave up the game at the 2 hour mark because of the use of confusing terms like "L'Cie" and "Fal'Cie", etc. They could have done a WAY better job explaining this stuff.

In the end, it was ultimately enjoyable, and even though certain plot points still confuse me, I enjoyed the ride.

Diseased Yak said:
Started Ch. 13 last night at 9:30, finished the game at around 1:30am. Final tally on the clock was 41 hours and change.

I really enjoyed the game, in fact I would say it ranks in the top 5 in the Final Fantasy pantheon for me.

Things I liked:
- The characters, and their interaction with each other
- Hope's story arc, which was my favorite
- The graphics. Simply jaw-dropping, and easily the most beautiful game I've played.
- The music. It was great stuff and I found myself noticing it more than I do usually in rpgs.
- The battle system. Fun as hell and not boring at all.
- Ended up liking the plot overall, but see below...

Things I disliked:
- The grunts, sighs, and groans from characters. It sounded quite often to my wife, who was often in the room but not watching me play, that sexual situations were going on in the game hehe.
- Doom. I'll curse that design decision till the day I die. "Hey, you're taking too long in this fight, how about we end it prematurely and you can do the whole fucking 20 minute fight over again, for no other good reason than we are pricks!"
- The confusing plot early in the game. Seriously, nearly gave up the game at the 2 hour mark because of the use of confusing terms like "L'Cie" and "Fal'Cie", etc. They could have done a WAY better job explaining this stuff.

In the end, it was ultimately enjoyable, and even though certain plot points still confuse me, I enjoyed the ride.

You should have used the datalog!!

It wasn't confusing for me since I was so hyped for it I knew all those terms already & unfortunately also every plot twist till chapter 9 was ruined for me thanks to Famitsu/Chapter zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom