• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darthdevidem01 said:
You should have used the datalog!!

It wasn't confusing for me since I was so hyped for it I knew all those terms already & unfortunately also every plot twist till chapter 9 was ruined for me thanks to Famitsu/Chapter zero

I'm current in chapter 10. I agree with the previous poster, it sucks the way the translated. Instead of saying "destroyers of Cocoon" 8 million times they could have just said we're "destined to destroy this world" or something along those lines.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Darthdevidem01 said:
You should have used the datalog!!

It wasn't confusing for me since I was so hyped for it I knew all those terms already & unfortunately also every plot twist till chapter 9 was ruined for me thanks to Famitsu/Chapter zero

I did read through it to start with, but abandoned it after a while. If I ever go back to the game to do the hunts and stuff (perhaps I will, someday...) then I'll read through it. In the end I understood it well enough, minus a few points.

Overall, fantastic game. The engine just blew me away continually. I still have no idea how they managed such a level of detail on this gen of hardware.

Edit: Thought of something else. I wish they had instead of inventing words, just used existing vernacular. For instance, instead of Fal'Cie, they could have been "ancient, mysterious gods" or some such. Gods bound to a certain purpose who bend others to their will. These others are called "acolytes" or some such, instead of L'Cie. I dunno, perhaps that wouldn't have worked so well, but it would have eased confusion.

WHAT THE FUUUUUCK!

I don't know how many fucking giant turtles I killed and still no stone!!

I'm about to go to my window and throw the fucking discs as frisbees!!

Fuck why all JRPG can't be like TWEWY!!??

/RAGE

Pooya

^awesome post by Relaxed Muscle
Relaxed Muscle said:
4627830546_d39dfe2dd8_o.jpg

"Moms are tough"

It seems FFXIII inspired guys at EPIC Games.:lol

I've just finished chapter 11 - after struggling against you know who like crazy. Should I head off to where I'm supposed to go, or stick around and do some more side missions? I'm worried if I go straight off to the next chapter I might be a tad underpowered. Thanks!

So yesterday while I was packing for my trip to St John (here now), I ended up platinuming the game on my second playthough. The final time on the clock was 63 hours. I spent about 2 hours juggling around components and selling everything right as I upgraded it. I had 2.5 million gil and was getting very nervous near the end since I didn't have enough stones to upgrade stuff. After selling all the weapons while keeping the cheapest one equipped, I was able to get Treasure hunter with 20k gil left over. I would've been SO pissed if I wasted those 2 hours without enough money (and no good equipment to farm ingots) :lol

state_vector_collapse said:
I've just finished chapter 11 - after struggling against you know who like crazy. Should I head off to where I'm supposed to go, or stick around and do some more side missions? I'm worried if I go straight off to the next chapter I might be a tad underpowered. Thanks!

If you managed to beat the boss, you'll do fine.

You get the chance to go back to Pulse after awhile anyways.

state_vector_collapse said:

Not really, there's some tough normal enemies, but probably nothing you can't handle, I think the bosses were easier that chapter 11 boss.

miladesn said:
It seems FFXIII inspired guys at EPIC Games. :lol

It's even better if you imagine she's about to shoot Snow.

Snow:"I...I though you were dead!!"

Hope's Mom:"I told ya....moms are tough"

*shoots*

Well it's does for me...

Shinyo

Neo Member
So.. after 110.5 hours, I've finally managed to get my Platinum Trophy. The Hunter Marks weren't that bad after you max out your Crystarium, but grinding for gil to upgrade all your gear for the Treasure Hunter trophy was the biggest pain in the ass.

For farming gil, I had started to farm turtles but found that they weren't dropping loot as frequently as I hoped so I ended up farming Sacrifices (running between Orphan's Cradle and Edenhall) instead where I would sell off the Perfume and Scarletite I found. Seemed like I got more gil/hr that way.

I also had a scare when I went to Bhakti and he said I was still missing equipment. I eventually figured out I forgot to pick up the Water Charm.

All in all, I thought the game was just ok...

Chris R

Ugh still too low in stats to do a straight up no summon kill. Would be nice to just kill one right after another after another without having to farm TP between each and every single kill :lol Maybe I'm not doing it right with my current no summon party of Fang/Hope/Snow :|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Rahxephon91 said:
Only fair. Gears inspired XIII's level design.

What if... XIII's level design inspires Gears 3?

twdnewh_k said:
Is there someway to remove the 'Doom' spell when its cast on you ?
Nope. And unless the battle begins with you being Doomed, you shouldn't be getting Doomed in the first place. If any other boss casts Doom on you, it means you're taking too long. Rethink your strategy.

BJK

64 hours, 23 minutes later - Finished. (Light/Fang/Hope FTW)

The penultimate fight in the game
Orphan after merging with Bartandaelus
was exceedingly cheap. I had every HP crystal in the main classes for my characters, but still it used an attack that would frequently drop Lightning (my character) down to single-digit HP....with full buffs. I had to fight with one player staying as medic most of the time to keep the party topped off. I think it took 3-4 tries to do get that one finished.

I don't think I'd want another game with this battle system, honestly. I will give it credit that 'auto battle' makes you use more of your character's abilities than I would ever select on my own. On the other hand, it doesn't always pick the "right" ability either: if an enemy was weak against fire, for instance, all too often I'd see the auto battle alternate between casting fire and flamestrike while controlling Lightning....despite there having been a large disparity between my ATK and MAG levels. When I'd take an active role in attack selection, and choose one or the other, I'd end up doing more damage. Problem is, the game doesn't expect (or want) you doing that.

I think the Paradigm shift system would work better if you could adjust the player roles individually, rather than in a limited number of fixed configurations. Since my options were limited, I essentially ran with the same setup for every encounter:
Med/Sen/Med (Combat Clinic)
Com/Sen/Rav (Delta Attack)
Rav/Com/Rav (Relentless Assault)
Rav/Com/Med (Diversity)
Com/Sab/Rav (Ruthless)
Rav/Com/Syn (Decimation)

I did about 90% of the game with that setup; while there were plenty of times that I would have liked to switch things up in battle....I couldn't actually do it unless I had already died once and knew what was coming. (Even then, when I did die, it was usually because I should have switched to the Sentinel-based paradigms sooner than I did.)

Other, Random Thoughts:
- For whatever reason, I kept finding myself jamming on the X button (PS3) while attacking....even though I knew that my attacks were all queued and ready to go.
- With the Paradigms I mentioned above, I really only had two functional pairings for a battle team: Lightning/Fang/Hope, and Sahz/Snow/Vanille.
- Curious if anyone else found Sahz useless in Ch. 13? He ended up about 2-300 points in either ATK or MAG behind everyone else's best attacking option. Haste made him indispensable mid-game, and I even started to level him as a medic to keep him around (Was using Light/Fang/Sahz from Ch. 11 to about the midway point in 13)....but I ultimately decided that Hope had all the same skills, only was much better at using them.
- Yet another FF game that I played through without ever choosing to use a summon. I think I used my TP exclusively for Libra. Never really saw the point in using them.
- I wonder how longer it would have taken to flesh out Palumpolom and the like, and allow you to fly from place to place like in FF10? Anything to cut down on the linearity of Cocoon would have been an improvement....and I have to think it was part of the original plan.
- Did the
Robot parts in Oerba
ever do anything? I think I got them all, but never saw when/where I was supposed to put them together.

BJK said:
- Did the
Robot parts in Oerba
ever do anything? I think I got them all, but never saw when/where I was supposed to put them together.

You had to collect them all then take them back to the
robot in Vanilles house to fix him.

And I think the game changes between Fire and Flamestrike (etc.) because it charges the gauge faster?

Cep said:
Then I may not buy it.

Damn...you're avatar was so awesome.

<3 Fang.

I finally got the Trepozoedron...or whataver..., I thought I was going crazy, but it seems like I still need a fuckton of money....shit...

Edit:LOL all Official Threads changed to OT, sounds like off-topic. :lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
ULTROS! said:
What if... XIII's level design inspires Gears 3?

Would make it the first Epic game worth buying since the original Jazz Jackrabbit.

How many chapters are there in FF XIII?

And fuck Hope. Whiny, shitfaced brat.

Green Mamba said:
Nope. And unless the battle begins with you being Doomed, you shouldn't be getting Doomed in the first place. If any other boss casts Doom on you, it means you're taking too long. Rethink your strategy.

Rethink your strategy = grind for 4 hours and build your stats.

The first few times I fought Barthandelus (sp) I had this problem. He wasn't hard, but fucking Doom kept killing me. My team was built for longevity. Clearly the developers didn't want battles to go on for 2 hours. :lol

Green Mamba said:

How dare you suggest their inefficient turtle strategy that would take 60 minutes to kill the boss is not valid?!

And once again.. this game and most RPGs do not require grinding to beat the main story content. If you feel like you have to grind you are playing poorly.

mjemirzian said:
How dare you suggest their inefficient turtle strategy that would take 60 minutes to kill the boss is not valid?!

And once again.. this game and most RPGs do not require grinding to beat the main story content. If you feel like you have to grind you are playing poorly.

damn, man... whoa! I feel like I just met Lorenzo Lamas!

Pooya

andriasang
2132415583_full6oid.jpg

The FFXIII hero is standing next to Final Fantasy VII's Cloud, Tifa and Yufie. Yes, Itadaki Street seems to have free reign on Square Enix's most prized characters.

Itadaki Street is a board game originally created by Dragon Quest designer Yuji Horii for the Famicom. Similar to Monopoly, the game has a real estate theme, with players moving around a board, purchasing property, and collecting rent as other players pass over their spaces. The series has since released for Super Famicom, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, DS and PSP.

The new mobile version will arrive this Summer. iMode users can look forward to an early demo.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wow... Lightning is so big. :lol

profit

BJK said:
I think the Paradigm shift system would work better if you could adjust the player roles individually, rather than in a limited number of fixed configurations.
You could actually do this.

ULTROS!

Combichristoffersen said:
At least Squall and Wakka aren't there.

Or Vaan

Pooya

SwiftSketcher said:
Hey Hey Hey gais.

I want to show off a new HDTV. Is the beginning of FF13 impressive or amazing in anyway, or does it take hours to pick up?
if it is PS3 then yes intro is epic.

ACE 1991

SwiftSketcher said:
Hey Hey Hey gais.

I want to show off a new HDTV. Is the beginning of FF13 impressive or amazing in anyway, or does it take hours to pick up?

The opening CG cinematic is pretty awesome and would make for a good showcase for your new TV.

flyover

BJK said:
- For whatever reason, I kept finding myself jamming on the X button (PS3) while attacking....even though I knew that my attacks were all queued and ready to go.
Me, too -- all the time! I had to consciously retrain myself not to mash when there was nothing for me to do. Glad I'm not the only one.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SwiftSketcher said:
Hey Hey Hey gais.

On PS3, it's the best looking, most clean CG out there in a video game.

ULTROS!

Chapter 12's intro was a beautiful mess
said this on some page

Platinum achieved :D 96 game hours. Overall I found the game to be quite enjoyable. I won't go into all my favourite and least desired elements of the game, but it would have been handy to be able to save paradigm, character and equipment setups to a single button and be able to have many setups that can easily be changed through without having to re-remember all of the settings each time I want to change characters. 9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom