• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Byakuya769 said:
Ah ok. That makes sense. You keep trying to reinvent the wheel, you may end up with some sorry ass wheels.
Exactly what I was trying to say :D

I agree that each new FF game seems to try even harder to deviate from those that came before it, to the detriment of the game. But I'm not sure that this is dictated by the fan or critical response... I suspect it has more to do with each successive Final Fantasy team wanting to reinvent the wheel in order to make their mark on history, and avoid being accused of rehashing the inventions of previous designers.

Which is unfortunate, because in my opinion they've gone pretty far away from what really works in an RPG.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the world of Ivalice a few years ago, but now I would kill for another game in Ivalice. But I'm afraid that they've already shut the book on that. :(

Chris R

So after being sick and tired of farming turtles, I go and finish the Faultwarens and then go do mission 64 so I can start trying to 5 star all the missions. I head back after doing mission 64, get to the turtle, fail to kill it the first time, swap around my accessories to get Vanille back in the full +20% haste effect, and get my second Traps to drop :D Gave it right away to fang, then dumped ~800k into upgrades for it to bring it up to level 70ish. That puts Fang at about 3600 Strength :D Going to try a straight up kill tomorrow as I'm tired of playing today.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think (m)any fans would complain if Square just made FFVI/VIII again, just with slightly different scenarios/characters and pretty graphics.

Rez said:
I don't think (m)any fans would complain if Square just made FFVI/VIII again, just with slightly different scenarios/characters and pretty graphics.

I certainly wouldn't complain...

The terrible games these days are giving me an identity crisis. I have always thought of myself as a gamer, especially a fan of RPGs. But these days, games that I would actually consider to be "classic" come few and far between. Demon's Souls was the last one, and maybe the only one of this console generation, for that matter.

It's getting to be hard to maintain my self-image as a gamer.

But really, there's just nobody making the kind of games that I like (anymore.)

It almost seems like developers are afraid to do anything that has already been done before. But that's unfortunate for the gamers, because many great design features are used once and then abandoned forever.

And once all the great design features are exhausted, nothing is left but mediocre and bad ones.

I think that's where we are right now. But that's just my view.

The sunleth waterscape version in the Plus Soundtrack RULES! Its a more trance version of it!

______

{looks at a few posts above}

damn the threads being overrun by people who refuse to accept games nowadays are just as good as games in the past

Cornbread78

Darthdevidem01 said:
The sunleth waterscape version in the Plus Soundtrack RULES! Its a more trance version of it!

______

{looks at a few posts above}

damn the threads being overrun by people who refuse to accept games nowadays are just as good as games in the past

- They just keep getting better and better. So much more to do.

Yoshichan said:
I don't know, really... I think I might be talking out of my ass, but from what I understand, "fans" want Final Fantasy to revolutionize something every single game. The result? This.

Again, out of my ass.

No, SQUARE wants to revolutionize something each game. FF's popularity peaked when they were doing the same damn thing every game.

Shadow780

cosmicblizzard said:
No, SQUARE wants to revolutionize something each game. FF's popularity peaked when they were doing the same damn thing every game.

Wait til they change it to FPS and sell 15 gazillion copies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
But FFVII is wholly different from FFVI in terms of graphics and equipments/junctioning... Although still ATB.

If you want purely similar gameplay all through out = Dragon Quest.

Shadow780

Very cool, FFXIII-themed karaoke place!

http://asia.playstation.com/hk/cht/news/pressDetail/152690

4qo0tk.jpg

2cqzjet.jpg

35lem1e.jpg

iofded.jpg

ofbmzs.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Karaoke?

So people can get to sing Eternal Love, Kimi ga Irukara, and.... MY HANDS?!?!

ULTROS!

Cornbread78

ULTROS! said:
But FFVII is wholly different from FFVI in terms of graphics and equipments/junctioning... Although still ATB.

If you want purely similar gameplay all through out = Dragon Quest.

Not only was FFVII a totally different game, like it or not, it revolutionized RPGs for this entire generation....

ULTROS!

Kagari said:
So now that XIII is out in all regions, WTF is my new info on the other games >:|

E3

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So I was reading that forum post that's circulating from someone who supposedly wrote for LOST explaining the ending and I was instantly reminded of XIII.

WARNING LOST SPOILERS:

"The Island keeps the balance of good and evil in the world. It always has and always will perform that role. And the Island will always need a "Protector". Jacob wasn't the first, Hurley won't be the last. However, Jacob had to deal with a malevolent force (MIB) that his mother, nor Hurley had to deal with. He created the devil and had to find a way to kill him — even though the rules prevented him from actually doing so.

Thus began Jacob's plan to bring candidates to the Island to do the one thing he couldn't do. Kill the MIB. He had a huge list of candidates that spanned generations. Yet everytime he brought people there, the MIB corrupted them and caused them to kill one another. That was until Richard came along and helped Jacob understand that if he didn't take a more active role, then his plan would never work.

Enter Dharma — which I'm not sure why John is having such a hard time grasping. Dharma, like the countless scores of people that were brought to the island before, were brought there by Jacob as part of his plan to kill the MIB. However, the MIB was aware of this plan and interferred by "corrupting" Ben. Making Ben believe he was doing the work of Jacob when in reality he was doing the work of the MIB. This carried over into all of Ben's "off-island" activities. He was the leader. He spoke for Jacob as far as they were concerned. So the "Others" killed Dharma and later were actively trying to kill Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and all the candidates because that's what the MIB wanted. And what he couldn't do for himself."

Sound familiar?

Cornbread78 said:
Not only was FFXIII a totally different game, like it or not, it revolutionized RPGs for this entire generation....

To to the genres detriment, I think. Who's brilliant idea was it to make the background and mythos simply something you read in the menu? Also, for such a linear game, why use an ambiguous and annoying weapons upgrade system? Crysterium is pretty cool though, however paradigms are some weak sauce.. let me choose who I control on the fly, dammit!

Finally, they change some of the greatest fundamentals, but they keep doing practically the same damn thing with summons. I want summons that JOIN my party, not replace them...

ULTROS!

I bet you Kagari something about FF Versus or Agito will appear at E3. :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ULTROS! said:
I bet you Kagari something about FF Versus or Agito will appear at E3. :p

Something Final Fantasy will be at E3, but it probably won't be those two!

How about a 1 month avatar change of your choice, if you win.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Kagari said:

fair warning:

e3 has had bigger megatons that games that werent expected to show because of development issues.

but i guess itd be a win win anyway

ULTROS!

Kagari said:

Deal, if I lose, you get to pick my avatar for one whole month, same goes for you (i get to pick your avatar). :p

ULTROS!

I won't go easy on you. :lol

I'll make some avatars and one of the avatars will be
"Final Fantasy XIII is way better than Uncharted 2, Persona 4, Demon's Souls, and Valkyria Chronicles"

I REALLY want Versus info. Its 99% unlikely that it'll be better than FFXIII for me since the KH team hasn't ever made a game better than a main FF game for me (except for KH2 which I liked more than FF12)

On my FF's scale I hope I like versus more than FF12....so that would mean I hope its at least a 9.01/10 since FF12 is a 9/10 game

Agito....meh who cares, port it to 3DS square, NO-ONE is going to buy agito XIII in the west if it stays on PSP only, You WILL lose money on that game.

Darthdevidem01 said:
I REALLY want Versus info. Its 99% unlikely that it'll be better than FFXIII for me since the KH team hasn't ever made a game better than a main FF game for me (except for KH2 which I liked more than FF12)

This should go well.

:lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Darthdevidem01 said:

On my FF's scale I hope I like versus more than FF12....so that would mean I hope its at least a 9.01/10 since FF12 is a 9/10 game

Agito....meh who cares, port it to 3DS square, NO-ONE is going to buy agito XIII in the west if it stays on PSP only, You WILL lose money on that game.

Yeah, you're awesome, Junior.

Port begging is ban-worthy, btw.

ULTROS!

CruxisMana said:
This should go well.

I liked KH2 more than FFXII. :p

Also, BbS was very good from what I've heard.

Oh, and here's one of the losing avatars that I've made Kagari:

9hnjb8.jpg

dramatis

CruxisMana said:
This should go well.

If you read the posts he's made thus far, then you should know no one will pick a fight with him because it's obvious he's completely crazy.

In the meantime, waiting for a countdown clock on the Vs13 page, which hasn't been updated since forever. I'm willing to bet it'll show up in trailer form at least, even if it may suffer the FF13 trailer method of "50 seconds reused footage, 10 seconds new useless footage".

dramatis said:
If you read the posts he's made thus far, then you should know no one will pick a fight with him because it's obvious he's completely crazy.

Can't really argue.

And that avatar is just cold. lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom