• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Seda said:
THIS! I'm fine with linear dungeons. But FFX gave players much more control with character choice, character leveling (Sphere Grid) , extra dungeons, and some dungeons weren't linear. FFXIII didn't have any of this for 75% of the game.

FFXIII wasn't terrible, but really was a notch down.

The Sphere grid or even something more like White Knight Chronicles, which really gives you more options on how you want your characters to develope.

rush777

brandonh83 said:
It just needed sensible sidequests. Who the fuck wants to fight giant turtles over and over and over again? I mean who thought that would be a good idea? Then again, I guess the staff thought most of the retarded shit in the game was a good idea so no mystery there.

I know FF games have had notoriously engaging sidequests, some of the bigger ones being drawn out and kind of boring, but FFXIII brings a whole new dimension to utterly ridiculous sidequests. I have everyone's roles maxed, everyone has an Ultima Weapon, all missions beat except 64, and yet I still feel like I need to grind or something.

That's not even to mention the dumbest trophy ever created-- obtain every weapon and accessory! I can't even bother with this game anymore. I have a high tolerance for bullshit, especially in RPG's, but this one just blows my mind. A lot of people just can't stand the story, the voice acting, the writing, the linear design, and I'm with them-- but honestly, those things pale in comparison to the absurd shittiness of the post-game material.

Totally agree, the endgame farming/money system is by far the worst implemented in the series to date. I enjoyed the missions quite a bit but I found it ridiculous that I was able to beat the majority of the missions before I was able to consistently farm the only fucking enemy.

I really wanted to farm for Dark matters in the end but with all of the missions finished why the hell would I want to waste time farming gui's when they are just as hard as the final few missions? just doesn't make sense.

Kronotech

I'm in the middle of Chapter 12 (at least I think I'm in the middle). I'm realizing mission 29 and above are mostly places that I've been to already. Can I only get back to those at Post-Game?

Is there a chance before the final boss that allows me to go back and complete missions, farming for ultimate weapons pieces, etc.?

Kronotech said:
I'm in the middle of Chapter 12 (at least I think I'm in the middle). I'm realizing mission 29 and above are mostly places that I've been to already. Can I only get back to those at Post-Game?

Is there a chance before the final boss that allows me to go back and complete missions, farming for ultimate weapons pieces, etc.?
Yes.

Why are people death spamming turtles? By the time you get to the post game, you should be more than strong enough to do the summon method. Gotta remember to highwind though.

Cornbread78

cosmicblizzard said:
Why are people death spamming turtles? By the time you get to the post game, you should be more than strong enough to do the summon method. Gotta remember to highwind though.

I summoned Heckto to knock him down and pummeled the crap outta him, but the HP only drops to 1/4, I can;t kill him them all the way, then you still have to Death spam the rest of the way, or try to fight it the rest of teh way. It still takes about 30 mins regardless. aarrgghh

Cornbread78 said:
I summoned Heckto to knock him down and pummeled the crap outta him, but the HP only drops to 1/4, I can;t kill him them all the way, then you still have to Death spam the rest of the way, or try to fight it the rest of teh way. It still takes about 30 mins regardless. aarrgghh

You're using Vanille?

Fang and especially(with the right preparation) Sazh are way better candidates.

Cornbread78

Fimbulvetr said:
You're using Vanille?

Fang and especially(with the right preparation) Sazh are way better candidates.

Alright, with that being said, could you feasibly beat one of the turtles, if I summoned Bahamut right away, knocked the turtle down, then pummled it with 3 commandos?

Fang, Lightning and Snow/Sazh?

Cornbread78 said:
Alright, with that being said, could you feasibly beat one of the turtles, if I summoned Bahamut right away, knocked the turtle down, then pummled it with 3 commandos?

Well you'd have to break it first obviously.

Also, learn Fang's and Sazh's special attacks.

Zoe

Cornbread78 said:

Here's how I do it with Fang/Lightning/Hope. Hope and Lightning can be switched out, but it's important to have a strong Synergist.

Start off with Hope buffing everyone, Lightning healing, and Fang debuffing or defending.

Once all the stat bonuses are in effect, summon and build up the meters. Once the turtle breaks, transform and pummel away. The turtle will stay on the ground after the summon leaves, but if you took too long with the summon, you'll have less time to break him again before he gets up. Also, you don't want your bonuses to wear off.

Use magic attacks to break him again and then switch everyone to commando. Use Highwind right before the break ends if he's not already dead.

Zoe

Zoe said:
Here's how I do it with Fang/Lightning/Hope. Hope and Lightning can be switched out, but it's important to have a strong Synergist.

Start off with Hope buffing everyone, Lightning healing, and Fang debuffing or defending.

Once all the stat bonuses are in effect, summon and build up the meters. Once the turtle breaks, transform and pummel away. The turtle will stay on the ground after the summon leaves, but if you took too long with the summon, you'll have less time to break him again before he gets up. Also, you don't want your bonuses to wear off.

Use magic attacks to break him again and then switch everyone to commando. Use Highwind right before the break ends if he's not already dead.

I forgot to mention, debuff the turtle while he's on the ground and the summon is working on him.

Cornbread78

Zoe said:
I forgot to mention, debuff the turtle while he's on the ground and the summon is working on him.

So I should wait before I use Gestault mode until the Summon takes away most of his energy then.....?

Zoe

Cornbread78 said:
So I should wait before I use Gestault mode until the Summon takes away most of his energy then.....?

You should be able to inflict everything before the summon fills up his own bar if you have Haste on.

Just got the game and played for about half an hour so far. Liking it. Looks great, plays well. Interested to see where the story goes.

The back of the box states that it's DualShock 3 compatible, but I haven't felt any vibration yet. What gives?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Cornbread78 said:
Make sure you got the stats for it first and foremost... if your HP is below 9000 then don't even try it.

I'm playing the post-game right now, and damn it, it's totally broken. I really love the battle system and leveling up... but man, traversing Gran Pulse and finding missions shouldn't be this hard and confusing! It's the lack of small refinements that really irk me, because it would literally take very minor tweaks to make this work so much better. For example, just adding the ability to place a destination marker on your map so you could follow it on your radar would be great. Or maybe an indication of where to go on your radar when you have an active mission, instead of just the plot destination marker. And every time I check that damn map, it rotates with Light's direction!! This. Is. Disorienting!!

Also, Gran Pulse is massive and that's great. Walking for minutes and minutes just to get to one of the 2 chocobos in this huge-ass feild just to go slightly faster is not great. And sometimes the chocobos run off from where you leave them. Cool, I'll just WALK BACK. A chocobo whistle or something would have made be so happy. That is if they are even to be found on the map. And this wouldn't be so bad if the Cieth stones everywhere could ALL teleport you somewhere. But no, there are maybe just 5 that can. And even if I find one, I can't fucking remember where the hell they take me!! I choose from a list of places whose names read out like latin, and it takes me perhaps 3 or 4 warps to get to where I meant to go! Yeah, whatever after a while I can remember where and what stuff is called, but still. How hard would it have been to link the warp list to a map so you could see where you are landing.

Did I miss a feature in the game or something? I hope I did so I can switch it on and enjoy Gran Pulse more, because I really want to. It's just tough, and an enjoyable battle system can't stop my whining much longer. Ok, I'm done exaggerating and ranting.

Rpgmonkey

SwiftSketcher said:
I'm playing the post-game right now, and damn it, it's totally broken. I really love the battle system and leveling up... but man, traversing Gran Pulse and finding missions shouldn't be this hard and confusing! It's the lack of small refinements that really irk me, because it would literally take very minor tweaks to make this work so much better. For example, just adding the ability to place a destination marker on your map so you could follow it on your radar would be great. Or maybe an indication of where to go on your radar when you have an active mission, instead of just the plot destination marker. And every time I check that damn map, it rotates with Light's direction!! This. Is. Disorienting!!

Also, Gran Pulse is massive and that's great. Walking for minutes and minutes just to get to one of the 2 chocobos in this huge-ass feild just to go slightly faster is not great. And sometimes the chocobos run off from where you leave them. Cool, I'll just WALK BACK. A chocobo whistle or something would have made be so happy. That is if they are even to be found on the map. And this wouldn't be so bad if the Cieth stones everywhere could ALL teleport you somewhere. But no, there are maybe just 5 that can. And even if I find one, I can't fucking remember where the hell they take me!! I choose from a list of places whose names read out like latin, and it takes me perhaps 3 or 4 warps to get to where I meant to go! Yeah, whatever after a while I can remember where and what stuff is called, but still. How hard would it have been to link the warp list to a map so you could see where you are landing.

Did I miss a feature in the game or something? I hope I did so I can switch it on and enjoy Gran Pulse more, because I really want to. It's just tough, and an enjoyable battle system can't stop my whining much longer. Ok, I'm done exaggerating and ranting.

Actually, if you're not in the area with the Mark, one of the exits in that area should have a red dot on it. That's the direction you need to go until you reach the Mark. Not that I'm saying that's a perfect solution of course (especially when the map's legend consists of almost nothing but small and similar-looking dots). And yes, the rotating map pissed me off sooooo much. It's even worse in places where the level design is pretty much a straight line, so you forget which way is the start and which way is the end. :lol

A Chocobo whistle, or eventually obtaining a Chocobo that doesn't run away, would've been really nice...

Korigama

JodyAnthony said:
Just got the game and played for about half an hour so far. Liking it. Looks great, plays well. Interested to see where the story goes.

The back of the box states that it's DualShock 3 compatible, but I haven't felt any vibration yet. What gives?

Doesn't work in cutscenes or in fields, just battles from what I've been able to tell (usually during hits strong enough to launch or stagger you).

I went to trade in my copy of FFXIII today and the clerk first told me that they might have too many copies already, but it turned out they had room for one more. When he was inspecting the disc for damage, I told him it should be in perfect condition because I only played about 8 hours.

He was like, "Oh, so you made it almost halfway through the tutorial?"

:D

I ended up getting Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney with $5 store credit left over.

Cornbread78

Thanks for the tips. That got the turtle down to about an inch of health, but that last inch still takes about 20 mins to get rid of... ARGGHHH. I'll have to fill out all the secondary chryo levels before I go back to killing turtles, I ended up shutting it off in disgust last night. Damn ADD I don't know if I'll see it through to platinum now, I'm losing motivation...

spats

Umm, I'm up to
Orphan
and I'm getting raped harder than I've ever been raped. I suspect I'm severely underleveled and geared all wrong because I've had major difficulties with previous bosses aswell.

I tried to read some tactics on the internets and ran into these tips:

You NEED to max out 9 braclet things that start off at 30 percent block against death. This is a Must. I'm not kidding when I say he goes crazy with the death--literally, every 20 seconds or so, he'll try it. (at the end 1/4 1/2 of battle)

Do I really have jump all these motherfucking hoops just to beat a boss? I mean really?

and apparently there's a third phase too, just kill me already

Lain

I had 0 problems with
Orphan
I simply used 3 anti-death bracalets (that I never upgraded once) on Lightning, and I never suffered a death in the fight.
I'm not even sure if he ever casted Death on me. But I know he was easier to kill than certain combinations of enemies before him.

Chris R

Lain said:
I had 0 problems with
Orphan
I simply used 3 anti-death bracalets (that I never upgraded once) on Lightning, and I never suffered a death in the fight.
I'm not even sure if he ever casted Death on me. But I know he was easier to kill than certain combinations of enemies before him.
I just used one that was fully upgraded (didn't take much to do this, and that was before my 2nd kill attempt). I never had it cast on me either, but I was just playing it safe :lol

The hardest boss fights for me were the early
Eidlon
fights. I wasn't using shrouds, and was getting my ass kicked big time. Pop a few shrouds and then use a librascope and I was set.

Lard

Banned
I'm about halfway through this and just wanted to chime in with some hopefully constructive thoughts.

Great soundtrack!

Looks purty.

Snow is kind of a douche and I actually don't mind Hope - when I thought it would be the opposite.

Vanille has possibly the most annoying voice I've ever heard in a game.

Is this the first time since FF6 we haven't had a creature/non-human of some sort in the party? (I can't remember whether FF8 did or not)

Mixed feelings about the battle system. I prefer the traditional turn based, control all your characters, but I'm used to this now. Seems like an Enix Star Ocean/Tales influence on the game.

However, if you're going to do an automated battle system, the Paradigm system is actually pretty ingenious. Jobs + automation and easy to set up and use. I vastly prefer it to 12's whatever it was called.

Naming *everything* Pulse, Sanctum etc Falcie and L'cie was a bit confusing at first. Could have used a bit of variety there to distinguish A from B.

I don't mind the flashbacks, but I think a little more setup/context at the beginning would have been nice - like showing the scene where Sazh and Lightning are getting on the train. Just could have used some shuffling of the scenes they've produced is all I mean.

There's a lot of implied gaps in the story that are filled in by the summaries of the chapters. For example, I thought Cid and Fang were hunting L'Cie, and suddenly they're on the party's side? There's a bit of text explaining what's going on and what they're motivation was. Why am I reading text for the story when they have all this space on a Blu-Ray?

I get why everyone is complaining about the lack of freedom and how it's on rails, but so far I haven't been too frustrated by it. There's a definite amount of handholding to this game though, especially at the beginning. I guess trying to reach a wider audience means you have to ease them into the game.

Despite the above criticisms, I'm enjoying it overall. Much more than I did FF12. The Purge, the fear/hatred against the L'Cie etc. could be construed as a comment on modern times if you want to see it that way - there's a lotta hate floating around, and also vague references to "living in fear" and "attacks" - but I don't think it's trying to be deliberately topical.

Overall, enjoyable so far. (And better than
FF12.
)

Just my two cents.

Chris R

spats said:
Phew, thanks.
And don't go all out and gimp your other stats trying to get a lot of death resistance. I'm guessing you only get the death spam if you take forever to kill the boss, which if that is the case, you are doing it wrong anyways.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I think I may have been caught by Death once between both of my playthroughs. :lol

Pain and Fog are the bigger threat by far.

spats

rhfb said:
And don't go all out and gimp your other stats trying to get a lot of death resistance. I'm guessing you only get the death spam if you take forever to kill the boss, which if that is the case, you are doing it wrong anyways.

I'm propably doing everything wrong in this damn game. :lol I haven't spent almost any time trying to figure out good/effective paradigms but instead just try to plow through with the most straightforward ones. Also leveled up all the wrong shit gear. I've clocked well over 50 hours(granted that a few hours are from idling) and at times it felt like the game would never end.

I've never really had this problem with a jrpg. Playing through has been really tough for me - felt like a chore instead of fun. I would've given up long ago but since I made it as far as I did, might aswell try to beat the damn thing (if it's even possible at this point)

Cornbread78

spats said:
I'm propably doing everything wrong in this damn game. :lol I haven't spent almost any time trying to figure out good/effective paradigms but instead just try to plow through with the most straightforward ones. Also leveled up all the wrong shit gear. I've clocked well over 50 hours(granted that a few hours are from idling) and at times it felt like the game would never end.

I've never really had this problem with a jrpg. Playing through has been really tough for me - felt like a chore instead of fun. I would've given up long ago but since I made it as far as I did, might aswell try to beat the damn thing (if it's even possible at this point)

Which characters are you using as your primary? The most important paradigms that can be used for the final boss can be made using:

Lightning/Fang/Hope

Oh and BTW, I killed another turtle yesterday on my 4th cast of Death. Got the 5 star rating and got no drops.... WTF is worng with this game. Traps are ridiculas to get.....

So I just got this game and played until chapter 7. I like it.

There is nothing wrong with the story and especially the characters which are surprisingly good as compared to all the backlash that I have read. Melodramatic? The GT's review was way too hard on them.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ssolitare said:
So I just got this game and played until chapter 7. I like it.

There is nothing wrong with the story and especially the characters which are surprisingly good as compared to all the backlash that I have read. Melodramatic? The GT's review was way too hard on them.

You're only at chapter 7. Just wait.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Picked this up about half a week ago, after much, much doubt that I would enjoy it as i'm not very into RPGs in general. I tried playing FFVII. Didn't quite get very far because of the random battles acting like a bottleneck for me as I always ran out of potions or died before I could get very far. Tried FFIV. Felt it may have been a bit to old and difficult for a beginner to try. Tried FF1 and FF2. Okay that was a bad idea in general.

As a summer challenge I picked this up and decided i'd finish it before the summer was over. Asked in this thread several times and in the Canada Gaming Deals thread, and checked reviews if this was a good beginner RPG, and it was unanimous that it was. So I picked this up and am about 4 hours in, literally at the very beginning of Chapter 4. And I'm totally immersed and wowed by the production in this game. It's quite fantastic in particular how the tutorials are spread across the game, although they do come very close together at times. Previous ATB systems were not exactly enjoyable for me since they were never explained jumping in but this system is enjoyable and quite aesthetically pleasing. Though I do believe they shouldve explained equipment and upgrading of that, it's fairly straight forward. Good experience so far, hope it gets better and doesn't spike in difficulty and make me stop playing.

/cool story bro.

Ydahs said:
I'm also up to that chapter. Really enjoying it. It goes downhill from here? Also, am I up to the halfway mark? 16 hours in.

It's up and down after that. Chapter 10 is the only one that's universally hated though.

And no, you are not near the halfway mark.

I just reached chapter 3 or 4 and my only complaint so far is the screen being a little too cluttered during battles. That press L1 to change Paradigm shit is so unnecessary to me. Does it go away eventually? Probably not. I hope it doesn't get worse adding more things on the screen as I continue.

Game is beautiful.

criesofthepast said:
I just reached chapter 3 or 4 and my only complaint so far is the screen being a little too cluttered during battles. That press L1 to change Paradigm shit is so unnecessary to me. Does it go away eventually? Probably not. I hope it doesn't get worse adding more things on the screen as I continue.

Game is beautiful.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you're fucked.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
You're only at chapter 7. Just wait.

At least Chapter 11 is the redeeming point of FFXIII. Unless you really really hated the Calm Lands in FFX.

Son of Godzilla said:
So like, do the later chapters start lasting for days or something? 13 is the last one right?

If I remember I think after the lengthy chapter 11, 5 hours per each chapter should be enough, lol, if you avoid unnecessary fights. I dont even think I farmed for CP after chapter 11, well actually at the start of chapter 12...

Ravidrath

I loaded this back up to do some more content and work on Platinum and, man, am I ever frustrated.

There seems to be NO WAY to early money/CP at a reasonable rate for upgrading weapons and items aside from killing Adamantoises. And to kill them I still need to do the Summon/Death method. And to kill them faster I need some more Trapezohedrons. Basically, my enjoyment is being curtailed by a giant chicken/egg problem.

I've killed hundreds of Adamantoises, and gotten two whole Trapezohedrons. At this rate, it seems like all characters will be maxed before I have ultimate weapons for everyone...

Any tips? I've beaten all the missions, and I'm not sure trying to 5-star them all is a good way to get money/CP until I have more ultimate weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom