• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

I'm still playing this. The battle system is nice and fast, though many enemies have way too much hp and the fights drag on...

The story is what it is, but my main complaint is the tube in which this game exists. I don't care if there's some one huge area to explore at some point, when this game is the least epic Final Fantasy there is. Easily. Some transitions from place to place are so damn clunky.

Also I'm pretty sure I've fucked up something while upgrading my Gladius... it's in lvl 13 I think and still not changing to anything better... and I'm gonna cry if it transforms into something shitty :lol

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Just finished it last night, no thanks to Orphan and his love of instant death spells. After about 85 hours of gameplay, I can say I really do like FFXIII, but it may be my least favorite of the "Sony Era" FFs. I actually liked the main cast of characters and thought the game did a good job of developing them from the various pairings. Vanille may be annoying but I didn't find her that bad, especially compared to most of the naive kawai girls you normally get. The problem to me is the plot and how the design of the game keeps the player at arms length from really vesting any care on what happens to Cocoon. I personally hate maze like dungeons with tons of twists and turns that go nowhere. Dungeons like Karma Temple in DDS are the video game version of sandstorm scenes (DEEP HURTING) so didn't mind the overall "battlefield" layout. Since there are no towns and no hub areas in cocoon to really stay in, I just kind of didn't care about Cocoon. I didn't feel that the game let me get to know the place since it was pushing me out as fast as possible. Barthandelus is also a decent villain but overall the whole Fal'Cie/ L'Cie thing and Pulse vs Cocoon thing didn't have much resonance for me. Its like Kitase and the scenario writers took bits and pieces of VI VII and X and threw them up against a wall. Oh well, enough griping. I do like the game, but its got its flaws for sure.

truly101 said:
Just finished it last night, no thanks to ... and his love of instant death spells. After about 85 hours of gameplay, I can say I really do like FFXIII, but it may be my least favorite of the "Sony Era" FFs.

It took 85 hours and you struggled against the boss? Or, lol, I guess you must have done some of those marks

ymmv

Banned
Ravidrath said:
I've killed hundreds of Adamantoises, and gotten two whole Trapezohedrons. At this rate, it seems like all characters will be maxed before I have ultimate weapons for everyone...

Any tips? I've beaten all the missions, and I'm not sure trying to 5-star them all is a good way to get money/CP until I have more ultimate weapons.

Create Kain's Lance from the Dragoon Lance, Shamanic Spear, Punisher, Pandoran Spear or Gae Bolg. Upgrade it to maximum level, then dismantle it. You'll get three trapezohedrons plus 36 moonblossom seeds.

The same goes for upgrading, then dismantling Nirvana.

ymmv said:
Create Kain's Lance from the Dragoon Lance, Shamanic Spear, Punisher, Pandoran Spear or Gae Bolg. Upgrade it to maximum level, then dismantle it. You'll get three trapezohedrons plus 36 moonblossom seeds.

This really isn't a good idea because you need so much money to max out the ultimate weapons anyway that in the process of getting enough cash to max out 6 ultimate weapons you'll have far more than 6 trapezohedrons. If it's worth it to you to weaken yourself in exchange for getting ATB+1 on three characters a bit sooner, then YMMV, but I don't think it's a good tactic (especially since you can pretty easily grind for Trapezohedrons if you have a maxed-out Kain's Lance in the first place, especially if it's the Stagger Lock version).

Ravidrath

ymmv said:

I've already got a Nirvana and Kain's Lance, so I guess that could help me get everyone ultimate weapons, but... man. I guess in the long term having an ultimate weapon for everyone is better than having only two, even if they're stronger.

Which are the best stats/paths on the ultimate weapons for each character?

badcrumble said:
This really isn't a good idea because you need so much money to max out the ultimate weapons anyway that in the process of getting enough cash to max out 6 ultimate weapons you'll have far more than 6 trapezohedrons. If it's worth it to you to weaken yourself in exchange for getting ATB+1 on three characters a bit sooner, then YMMV, but I don't think it's a good tactic (especially since you can pretty easily grind for Trapezohedrons if you have a maxed-out Kain's Lance in the first place, especially if it's the Stagger Lock version).

Maybe I picked the wrong Lance to upgrade, then? My Improved Debilitation one is level 91 now and I can't do anywhere near enough damage to kill Adamantoises.

Korigama

ULTROS! said:
At least Chapter 11 is the redeeming point of FFXIII. Unless you really really hated the Calm Lands in FFX.

I know I did.

Getting ahead of myself, though, since I'm still on Chapter 9 and stuck at the fight with
Barthandelus

Ravidrath said:
Maybe I picked the wrong Lance to upgrade, then? My Improved Debilitation one is level 91 now and I can't do anywhere near enough damage to kill Adamantoises.
Fang's generally the best damage-dealer in the game (though Sazh is also incredible against Adamantoises specifically because they're so damn large) so you absolutely want her Stagger Lock weapon. For other folks the ideal weapon is a bit more debatable, but just about everyone goes with Stagger Lock for Fang.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Reading through much of this stuff, am I completely fucked? How the hell am I supposed to know all of this introspective weapon customization stuff, like which weapon will be "the best" in the end? Am I fucked if I go for my gut instinct in this game or do I have to go through and do all this research? FF/RPG noob here.

I'm in Chapter 7 I believe?
Snow + Fang just saved Lightning and Hope and I fought those guys in Gestalt mode
and then my 360 red ringed. Thank God it's working again.

Zoe

enzo_gt said:
Reading through much of this stuff, am I completely fucked? How the hell am I supposed to know all of this introspective weapon customization stuff, like which weapon will be "the best" in the end? Am I fucked if I go for my gut instinct in this game or do I have to go through and do all this research? FF/RPG noob here.

It's only necessary if you're an achievement whore.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Zoe said:
It's only necessary if you're an achievement whore.
Can I do much of this stuff after the story has concluded? Can I keep playing the game afterwards to grind or do a new game+?

Zoe

enzo_gt said:
Can I do much of this stuff after the story has concluded? Can I keep playing the game afterwards to grind or do a new game+?

You keep playing after the game. There is no "new game+"

OH MY GOD @ CHAPTER 9 END BOSS. Like 6 fucking tries so far. Got to 2% on my last attempt, first time I saw the fucking DOOM OH MY GOD.

bfbaggggggglllleemmmmmmmmmmmm

I think my approach is wrong. I was using Lit/Snow/Van and making Snow tank for most of the time. Then when Van's stupid debuffs kept missing I swapped her for Hope, but it doesn't seem his buffing helps at all for the second stage, and not having dispell makes the first take forever... And then I don't have enough Lineup things available to get Snow in for some damage while he's charging... I dunno. I could upgrade some gear or something I guess, haven't touched any of that shit.

I love this boss though, wish they were all this hard. Really like how it feels having a strategy actually means something. NOW IF ONLY I COULD CONVINCE HOPE NOT TO STAND IN THE FUCKING AOE RANGE.

Anyways, game has become 500% more fun since a friend told me about the Lineup change-instant charge thing. Feels soooo good.

MrDenny

My eight year-old cousin managed to beat FFXIII, but in the process he wrecked my limited edition guide.
Half of the pages fell off the binding :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MrDenny said:
My eight year-old cousin managed to beat FFXIII, but in the process he wrecked my limited edition guide.
Half of the pages fell off the binding :(

I've seen them around in shops still... you might be able to get another one.

Son of Godzilla said:
OH MY GOD @ CHAPTER 9 END BOSS. Like 6 fucking tries so far. Got to 2% on my last attempt, first time I saw the fucking DOOM OH MY GOD.

bfbaggggggglllleemmmmmmmmmmmm

I think my approach is wrong. I was using Lit/Snow/Van and making Snow tank for most of the time. Then when Van's stupid debuffs kept missing I swapped her for Hope, but it doesn't seem his buffing helps at all for the second stage, and not having dispell makes the first take forever... And then I don't have enough Lineup things available to get Snow in for some damage while he's charging... I dunno. I could upgrade some gear or something I guess, haven't touched any of that shit.

I love this boss though, wish they were all this hard. Really like how it feels having a strategy actually means something. NOW IF ONLY I COULD CONVINCE HOPE NOT TO STAND IN THE FUCKING AOE RANGE.

Anyways, game has become 500% more fun since a friend told me about the Lineup change-instant charge thing. Feels soooo good.

Ive never tried that team before. Lightning, Hope, Fang were always my team, they provided fastest healing opportunity if youre far enough in the Crystarium.

If its taking you that many attempts then your probably just taking way too long on the boss. Rather than waste time with debuffs just go in for attacks. Maybe see if you have someone who has, RENEW, so that you can heal yourself on your own. Dispelga as well. Relentless Assault, and that one paradigm where fang defends while Hope and/or Lightning heal are your two best friends.

Yea, I beat it the very next try by not having Snow defend at all. Kinda lame if you ask me, Vanille was able to keep everyone up just fine. Better than fine, with Snow jumping around instead of standing next to the caster the aoe damage you take is sooo much less. Even got to use the triple-rav a lot.

Figures that the fight I enjoyed so much was only challenging because I was doing it wrong. :/

I like Snow more than Fang because Fang looks like a damn gorilla. And she doesn't have Rav. And Snow has like 80% more HP than her for some reason.

cosmicblizzard said:
It's up and down after that. Chapter 10 is the only one that's universally hated though.

And no, you are not near the halfway mark.
I'm disappointed. You say something like that and it builds up expectations. I thought there'd be something to actually hate. I thought it'd be 15 hours of drudgery or something. Maybe the huge dungeon got a little long in the tooth, but it was very good looking, and the mobs *much* more fun to fight than chapter 9's. Only annoying thing were the birds with their daze dancing, but you can stagger them in one round so big whoop.

The one thing negative I have about Chapter 10 is the insane costs of the crystarium and how pithy the CP handouts are. Weird that wasn't handled better, for as much as this game takes a sandbelt to anything you aren't supposed to be doing yet.

But yea... Good looking enviro/monsters, fun fights, interesting bosses, awesome ending... Chapter 10 was good. So far I'd say that Chapter 4 was the absolute worst, with the first half of 7 being right there next to it.

Deadly

I'm on my first playthrough and the story is totally not captivating me. The battle system is pretty fun though but the AI does ridiculous stuff sometimes. I haven't customized a single thing yet and I've been doing fine so far. Is there some sort of Ultimate Weapon for each character? I'm around Chapter 11 I think
Reached Gran Pulse

Son of Godzilla said:
The one thing negative I have about Chapter 10 is the insane costs of the crystarium and how pithy the CP handouts are. Weird that wasn't handled better, for as much as this game takes a sandbelt to anything you aren't supposed to be doing yet.

Chapter 10 had an awesome CP farm spot though, lol.

Zoe

Son of Godzilla said:

Insane costs? You're not trying to fill the extra roles, are you?

Zoe said:
Insane costs? You're not trying to fill the extra roles, are you?
Of course not. Which begs the question why they would even unlock then. The tier that unlocks midway through also costs just as absurd too, something like 5x the cost per dot of the one directly below it.

Chapter 10 had an awesome CP farm spot though, lol.
Really? I think the highest I noticed was the freaky swordforge things giving a whopping 600, with most groups being below 300... I didn't avoid fights, but was kinda wondering why I wasn't towards the end.

Son of Godzilla said:
Of course not. Which begs the question why they would even unlock then. The tier that unlocks midway through also costs just as absurd too, something like 5x the cost per dot of the one directly below it.

Really? I think the highest I noticed was the freaky swordforge things giving a whopping 600, with most groups being below 300... I didn't avoid fights, but was kinda wondering why I wasn't towards the end.

There was a side area that carries up to a group of like 8 or so slug like things. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiC2YXAJxeE&feature=related

Son of Godzilla said:
Oh ya. There was another spot with 10 of the little buggers too. Was wondering how farming worked in this game, you just get some distance and shit respawns?

Yeah, for that spot, you have to go back and jump down then jump back up. The cave in Chapter 11 was my favorite farming spot. (Hoplites and Boxed Phalanxes area, was fun!)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Personally, this isn't a very hard RPG despite reading an interview that they added the "auto cure after battle" to compensate for the crazy difficulty. In fact, this is probably the easiest FF that I've ever played.

ULTROS! said:
Personally, this isn't a very hard RPG despite reading an interview that they added the "auto cure after battle" to compensate for the crazy difficulty. In fact, this is probably the easiest FF that I've ever played.

I think I came to that conclusion once I realized that none of the target times for the bosses were ever greater than say 12 minutes

Though with how people used to complain about being unable to beat, was it Odin and a few of the other Gestalts, lol.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Actually, my only problem were the Gestalt battles, but I found the way out after reading a strategy off the net. :lol

But yeah, maybe what contributed to it being pretty easy was that my fingers were fast for me to shift paradigms very quickly.

Zoe

ULTROS! said:
Actually, my only problem were the Gestalt battles, but I found the way out after reading a strategy off the net. :lol

But yeah, maybe what contributed to it being pretty easy was that my fingers were fast for me to shift paradigms very quickly.

It can be difficult for people who usually coast through RPG's with a hack 'n slash strategy.

Curufinwe

I'm happy that was I able to finish the story without looking anything up online. In other RPGs there's usually been at least one battle that I couldn't figure out how to beat without help.

Now I'm trying to finish the missions in the postgame, I've got no compunctions about looking online for advice. I managed to beat #55 in 5 minutes thanks to the awesome
Vanille-Death
strategy I never would have thought of myself.

Dedication Through Light said:
I think I came to that conclusion once I realized that none of the target times for the bosses were ever greater than say 12 minutes

Though with how people used to complain about being unable to beat, was it Odin and a few of the other Gestalts, lol.
Hey, that first Gestalt was a pain in the ass. Because I was trying to fill up the bar entirely instead of just to where the word started.

But yea, like I was ranting about, the Chap 9 boss fight was tooth and nails when I went into it with the wrong strategy, but a complete breeze with... well, with no strategy. Sorry, but Com/Rav/Med and swapping to Rav/Rav/Med is not a goddamn boss strategy.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The first time you fight Barthandelus can be a bit difficult, it took me a few tries. Orphan was the hardest for me because even with anti haze, anti poison and anti death protection, his spells seem to always affect me at the most inopportune times. Hope had a fucking maxed Seraph's crown which is +60 vs Death, and he got hit with it 3 times in a row. Thats cheap, no other way around it. Due to the status effects, I had to turtle him and beat him in about 30 minutes, right as he cast Doom.

Just beat it!

Characters are really good, they get too much flack. The game is better than reviewers gave it credit for. The story could use some more work in the later chapters there and oh, great ending.

Loved the game, but I won't be playing it again though ehhe.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Got to chapter 11 and holy shit the game got EVEN more beautiful. But:

1) I seem to be getting my ass kissed more than normal, is the grind in the open field area necessary now? I passed the open field area and got to the area with
all the machinery
and am getting wrecked back and fourth, had to retry the battle with the Phalanx bot so many times, do I have to go back and grind for a few hours? Or do I need to spend the time upgrading weapons? I'm pretty damn scared of upgrading a weapon fully and then.. its not even the strongest weapon in the end. Quite afraid of doing that and wasting lots of time.

2) How useful is gestalt mode/summons really? I try avoiding using them because it seems anyways that they don't do very much damage, and even afterwards my chain gauge is reset so I don't really know when to use them.

3) The battle system is really fun, but why do people have a problem with the early linearity? So they chose to build the exploration around the story and strengthen that aspect for once, by splitting characters off and stuff, and it seems to work fairly well. Not the hand-holding, I understand the reason FF players disagree with that. And now they open the game up, will it stay this way or does it turn into a linear RPG again?

4) Quite enjoying the story so far and decided to look into Versus XIII and that looks even more godly it seems. Can't believe I missed out on so much info on that game. What was GAF's opinion on the story?

Zoe

You don't have to grind--just do all the missions that open up along the plot line. You'll need to do some backtracking to the base camp though for some of them.

enzo_gt said:
Got to chapter 11 and holy shit the game got EVEN more beautiful. But:

1) I seem to be getting my ass kissed more than normal, is the grind in the open field area necessary now? I passed the open field area and got to the area with
all the machinery
and am getting wrecked back and fourth, had to retry the battle with the Phalanx bot so many times, do I have to go back and grind for a few hours? Or do I need to spend the time upgrading weapons? I'm pretty damn scared of upgrading a weapon fully and then.. its not even the strongest weapon in the end. Quite afraid of doing that and wasting lots of time.

Well in that area you can easily farm for CP there, up from the entrance through the dead end, not including that unbeatable mechanical thing in that room ( which I think isnt able to beat until the party was stronger),

enzo_gt said:
4) Quite enjoying the story so far and decided to look into Versus XIII and that looks even more godly it seems. Can't believe I missed out on so much info on that game. What was GAF's opinion on the story?

Gaf hates the story, but they hate all video game stories that aren't Planescape: Torment. I for one love the story.

zoukka

ULTROS! said:
In fact, this is probably the easiest FF that I've ever played.

You haven't played many Final Fantasies then. FFXIII is easy if you keep it slow by having a medic all the time healing or something, but the way the game is meant to be played is to constantly change paradigms to exploit weaknesses and gather the stagger ASAP. This is often risky, when you have low HP, but still want to try to get the few remaining hits in begore changing to healers.

And because the game is over once the main dies, I'm pretty sure this game has caused more game over screens than all the other nomura-fantasies combined.

enzo_gt said:

I thought the story was fabulous, lol cause of Hope and Lightning and Snow. The ending of course left alot to be desired. And Barthandulus made for an awesome antagonist.

Lain

enzo_gt said:

Most on here seem to have hated or disliked the story in this game.
I liked it though. I liked the group of fugitives escaping, I liked the no cities, which was a 100% perfect choice with such a setup as it is consistent with the mood of the guys being thought of as the bad guys and running away.
The ending though leaves a bit to be desired (for me). It's like they forgot to really conclude everything, like something is missing from it but they (SE) said "fuck it, we're done" and finished.

Diablos

I thought the story was great. I loved all of the characters too. Strongest FF cast in a long, long time.

The ending was pretty damn good, I didn't really expect
Fang and Vanille to sacrifice themselves like that.
. Plus I think it's kind of dumb to compare strictly endings, which many people seem to do when it comes to FF. You have to look at the story as a whole. For example, XII had a cool ending, but I hate the game with a passion.

I stand by my original claim: XIII is the best FF since VII and Tactics.

Dedication Through Light said:
And Barthandulus made for an awesome antagonist.
Are you serious ? I found him to be one of the worst in the series.
First fight with him was fine and epic, but he should've stayed dead there.

Cid Raines should have been the main bad guy.

The FFXIII cast could have been good if the writing and voice acting didn't seem like it was plucked from High School Musical.

Barthandelus was more forgettable than Necron.

theMrCravens said:

Of the numbered Final Fantasy's I played (FFX, FFXII, and XIII, III DS, lol does Tactics Advance count(?)), it was the only one that I actually had a compelling enough antagonist that made me want to go through with the story of the game.

theMrCravens said:

Agreed. Cid being a main antagonist would be an awesome turn of events for the series even if he did just end up being a container for
Orphan
. Or better yet, he should've turned into Ragnarok for the final boss.

Man, that would completely change the last half of the game.

Lain

While I liked the story, I didn't like most of the playable cast (just Lightning, and Fang to an extent) as well as the human antagonists. Glasses girl was disappointing to say the least, given
how, from the videos, she looked as she was going to have some more important role as an antagonist to the party
. Same for blue hair dude, although he had a bit more presence.

cosmicblizzard said:
Agreed. Cid being a main antagonist would be an awesome turn of events for the series even if he did just end up being a container for
Orphan
. Or better yet, he should've turned into Ragnarok for the final boss.

See what happens when someone thinks about the way a story should play out for more than 5 seconds, Square?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The main reason why Barthandelus is going to be remembered is his incredible boss battle theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom