• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Scythesurge said:
Can I grind against those guys? I think I heard that I can but later in the chapter? Right now I'm fighting the second "major encounter," some guy that starts with a 'W' and has a sword.

Yeah, he's not that bad, you can grind him later in the chapter, which is what I was referring to.

Try these paridigms

Light/Hope/Fang:

- RAV/RAV/SEN- after 50% stagger bar
- COM/RAV/SEN- first
- MED/MED/SEN- before your first offensive par.
- MED/SYN/SAB- right away for at least 3 rounds

Alucrid

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
How do you kill the F'ing things? Seriously, I killed 1 in 5 mins, now I can spend 20 mins and still nothing....

Easy method, but somewhat random.

Use Sab/Sab/Sen (Vanille/Fang/Hope). Have a Malboro Wand on Vanille. When the battle starts wait until Hope casts haste on you, summon, then start casting death. The summon will leave and Fang will come in a put some debuffs on the enemy while Hope buffs the party. Keep casting death. If it works, you win with a 5 star rating. If it doesn't you die and restart. Farm the two groups of soldiers nearby for CP, then save, quit farm them again and you should be able to summon again.

Harder but better method.

Use Rav/Rav/Rav (Fang/Vanille/Hope) to break the two legs, then switch to Com/Med/Med to have fang Highwind them. This should bring him down, now go to Syn/Sab/Sab give haste to everyone, bravery to Fang and faith to Vanille. Now go to Rav/Rav/Rav to get his chain gauge all the way up and switch to Com/Com/Sab and wreck him. Actual guide here.

Also, which weapon should I upgrade all the way for Lightning? I'm using the Ultima Weapon right now but is it wiser to choose Blazefire or Axis over that?

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I used Lionheart for Lightning because I wanted the quick stagger bonus.

I got 5 stars on all the mission today and I have all the weapons except for Sazh's gun that requires dark matter. Just have to 5 star the final boss and then upgrade the accessories and I'm done.

I really enjoyed the missions though. Most of them were a lot of fun. I only found 54, 62, & 64 to be annoying - but in a good way. They really showed off the battle system too. I had to make full use of all the roles and switch between them quickly - something that wasn't necessarily required for the main story. I never even used Sentinels until the missions :lol

darkwings

Banned
This is what i am using. People are underrating SMII a lot.

Fang - Genji Kaiser Kaiser
Snow - Kaiser Kaiser Kaiser
Sazh Kaiser Kaiser Kaiser

Fang: Taming Pole (stagger lock)
Snow: Midnight Sun (stagger lock)
Sazh: Procyons (stagger maintance II)

since sazh always stagger, it will give me 30% extra stagger time and then I always end it with a highwind from Fang.

Beat the final boss in about 30 seconds...

Darthdevidem01 said:
I thought with that much enthusiasm from me they would do it.

I can't fathom why it wasn't shown, I would've been ok with just seeing a 10 second clip of Noctis's shoes

Why didn't they beg Nomura to give them a trailer!

Yeah, it also feels like theres been a media blackout on Versus. I thought it was aiming to be released in the fall simultaneously worldwide?

Sebulon3k said:
Fuck all the bosses in Chapter 11, All of Them

The last one is one of my favorite boss fights

fuck snow, I started this game yesterday and after Vanille, Snow is the worst character in this mess

anyway, any trophies related to treasure hunting or missables? like open all treasures

Cels

Prime crotch said:
fuck snow, I started this game yesterday and after Vanille, Snow is the worst character in this mess

anyway, any trophies related to treasure hunting or missables? like open all treasures

There is a trophy to acquire all accessories and weapons (called Treasure Hunter), so don't sell those before completely upgrading them.

Other than that, nothing missable.

Swag

Cels said:
You're probably underleveled or not employing a sound strategy. Just change it up and you should be fine.

Grinded for 2 hours, and switched up one of my damage Paradigms and down him with ease, so happy :D

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I tried to turtle the last boss in 11, which was working great until he cast doom on me. Instead I wore accessories that limited the effectiveness of poison and stop, played aggressive and by the time he cast doom, it didn't matter. The Fal Cie before him was pretty easy.

So here's the question. I haven't started Ch 12 yet as I wanted to fill up my Crysterium for the 3 main jobs of all characters. Having done that, I wonder if I should farm to upgrade weapons and accessories. Is there anywhere good to farm for upgrade in Ch 11? Keep in mind that Adamantoise and any hunts level A and above can destroy me easily. What kind of set up should I be prepping for end game here?

zoukka

Prime crotch said:

In any other context, Snow would be considered a mentally challenged character.

Prime crotch said:

At least they gave him a nice theme. And he started to grow on me without a story. His "Heroes dont need a plan" line got me, lol.

Prime crotch said:
ligthning punches retarded blonde giants in the face; lightning rules

wow
snownd.gif

Thought I'd just mention this, the game is showing excellent holds in the UK chart, its still in the top 20 for full price charts and went up 3 places last week. On the all formats chart its still in the top 25.

GO FFXIII !!

Cornbread78

Diablos said:
b-b-but too linear ;_;

HEY. WE'RE ALL SHOOTING FOR THE SAME GOAL HERE!

Not sure how serious you are there, but it's really only linear during all the back story and early story/character progression. you move from Chapter to chapter to progress the story, but the game really opens up at chapter 11. I mean, I was frightened at first in regards to all the complaints, however, I soon understood their poor choice and still have been liking the game, alot. I've been working on the past-story grind for a couple weeks no, and have been going crazy with it, hopefully, at some point, the turtles will actually friggen' die before 20 mins goes by and still nothing.....WTF!

badcrumble said:
Wonder if we'll see any FF13 Int'l and/or DLC at TGS this year. If nothing of the sort shows at TGS, it probably ain't happening, IMO.

I cant imagine what DLC FFXIII would need, surely they would focus more on getting the most coveted Versus XIII out

Dedication Through Light said:
I cant imagine what DLC FFXIII would need, surely they would focus more on getting the most coveted Versus XIII out

They could add towns

But making DLC will purely be like a cash cow for them, it would be good to do financially for square.

Cornbread78

Darthdevidem01 said:
They could add towns

But making DLC will purely be like a cash cow for them, it would be good to do financially for square.

TBH, I would love to see an expanded Pulse with towns/cities/viliges, maybe a FFXIII-2 or just another FF game that takes place in the future after XIII.

Dedication Through Light said:
New game+, actual postgame content, some new weapons and accessories, maybe another level of the Crystarium just for kicks, etc.

Pooya

It's too late for DLC, used copies are eveywhere, I don't think they can add anything in an International release that can make this game any better, flaws are far deeper than that, I hope they make a sequel instead.

badcrumble said:
New game+, actual postgame content, some new weapons and accessories, maybe another level of the Crystarium just for kicks, etc.

I would rather take a FFXIII-2. All the stuff people have been saying is stuff that I cant really imagine anyone paying for (and the cost that Square Enix would charge). I would personally only desire an actual epilogue or something.

Otherwise, they should be hard at work on versus-which should be on track for a fall release.

Cornbread78

LOL, I guess we're all in agreement. Can we ping SE constantly until they listen, and create a quality direct sequel with everything but open the game up earlier and allow more character control earlier, they could go so many places with the world of Pulse, and even a
Pulse/Cacoon civilizaton conversion now that they are conjoined.

Diablos said:
The last dungeon is awesome.

Glad I am not the only one who thought the final dungeon was pretty cool. Graphically it's probably one of the neatest things I have seen in a game this gen. I think people hated it because most of the monsters gave so few CP.

GrumpyAlien said:
I think people hated it because most of the monsters gave so few CP.
No. After playing all 13 FF, this was the worst final dungeon (design wise).
Although the very short "Bahamut" finale in XII comes close.

Cornbread78 said:
LOL, I guess we're all in agreement. Can we ping SE constantly until they listen, and create a quality direct sequel with everything but open the game up earlier and allow more character control earlier, they could go so many places with the world of Pulse, and even a
Pulse/Cacoon civilizaton conversion now that they are conjoined.
As much as I loved the Pulse/Cocoon sci-fi setting, they should just start working on XV.

theMrCravens said:
No. After playing all 13 FF, this was the worst final dungeon (design wise).
Although the very short "Bahamut" finale in XII comes close.

Yeah; in terms of final dungeon design recent FF games are pretty obviously mailed in.

Fimbulvetr said:
Yeah; in terms of dungeon design recent FF games are pretty obviously mailed in.
I dunno, FFXII had pretty decent dungeons, just not a very good final dungeon. FFVIII had a really cool one, and FFIX was both a cool homage to FFV's final dungeon's aesthetics and a good opportunity for pushing things forward. Really the biggest wasted opportunity in recent memory was FFX - its final dungeon should have been a journey through
Jecht's, do i really have to spoiler this,
mind/soul/memories in order to help wrap up some of the story with regard to Tidus/Yuna/Auron, and instead it was just abstract.

badcrumble said:
I dunno, FFXII had pretty decent dungeons, just not a very good final dungeon. FFVIII had a really cool one, and FFIX was both a cool homage to FFV's final dungeon's aesthetics and a good opportunity for pushing things forward. Really the biggest wasted opportunity in recent memory was FFX - its final dungeon should have been a journey through
Jecht's, do i really have to spoiler this,
mind/soul/memories in order to help wrap up some of the story with regard to the Tidus/Yuna/Auron, and instead it was just abstract.

I actually meant final dungeons.

Gotta edit.

As far as FFXIII's final dungeon is concerned, it's artistically pretty abstract and dull, but it's a fairly appropriate climax to the gameplay, IMO, since the enemies in there will kick the living shit out of you if you get lazy about switching Paradigms (unless you're obscenely overleveled). And FFXIII really is only about the combat and nothing else, so I guess that's sadly appropriate.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Man, imagine if FFXIII's final dungeon was like FFIX's...

ULTROS! said:
Man, imagine if FFXIII's final dungeon was like FFIX's...
There's no real justification for it to look like that (or like anything in particular, really, which is probably why it ended up being so abstract), but it'd be fucking gorgeous.

Since this was my first final fantasy in a while, skipped the PS2 ones, it's been pretty good, Snow is ok, I can't stand that Hope kid, made me want to punch him. I barely upgraded his weapons, I always saved him for last :lol

The thing that sucks is I didn't have a chance to finish it, i had to return the game to blockbuster.
But I was on disc 3, chapter 10, I know there are 13 chapters, how long would it have taken me to finish?

Don't want to come off as begging but if someone could lend me just disc 3, I could finish it. I'd even pay for shipping both ways.
Can't imagine it would take more then a week to finish the game.

friskykillface said:
Since this was my first final fantasy in a while, skipped the PS2 ones, it's been pretty good, Snow is ok, I can't stand that Hope kid, made me want to punch him. I barely upgraded his weapons, I always saved him for last :lol

The thing that sucks is I didn't have a chance to finish it, i had to return the game to blockbuster.
But I was on disc 3, chapter 10, I know there are 13 chapters, how long would it have taken me to finish?

Don't want to come off as begging but if someone could lend me just disc 3, I could finish it. I'd even pay for shipping both ways.
Can't imagine it would take more then a week to finish the game.

Chapter 11 was the largest one, plenty of things to do. Best way would to to remember your time. I think I finished the game at approx. at 45-50h mark.

Cornbread78

badcrumble said:
As far as FFXIII's final dungeon is concerned, it's artistically pretty abstract and dull, but it's a fairly appropriate climax to the gameplay, IMO, since the enemies in there will kick the living shit out of you if you get lazy about switching Paradigms (unless you're obscenely overleveled). And FFXIII really is only about the combat and nothing else, so I guess that's sadly appropriate.

At leat they make you think a little, I can remember FF final boses of the past that were just "press x" the entire time and you will win. a little act/ counter-act is a good thing for the game. Although, the final level was visually stunning, the design could have been much better, (meaning a new one altogether)

GrumpyAlien said:
I think people hated it because most of the monsters gave so few CP.

the non-boss battles gave little CP, the "replay" boss battles gave a huge sum of CP, and you can actually gring them if you have the patience. I actually wish I had spent some time doing that, so I didn't have to spend so much time post game doing it.

theMrCravens said:
As much as I loved the Pulse/Cocoon sci-fi setting, they should just start working on XV.

Theyleft so much potential in this world and it's surroundings that could easily make another game out of it. Please there were so many holes in the story that they could both fill in the backstory for each character more, as well as focus on the
recolinization of Pulse.
There is a lot of potential there. IMO

After over three months of playing this game on and off, I am very happy to say that I have finally beat FF XIII! Although I thought that the final dungeon was poorly designed and a pain to get through for the most part, I actually really enjoyed the final encounters and the ending cut scenes (minus My Hands, whoever decided to put that in the game should be fired).

Overall, the game was an enjoyable disappointment. The story never accomplished anything special, despite some emotional scenes. The writing was mediocre at best, and the overall direction of the game was a mess. My favorite aspects of the game were its battle system (great new take on ATB), beautiful visuals and some really great music. However, for a game that was in development for as long as it was, it really should have been better. If you don't like the battles in this game, then there is really nothing that FF XIII can offer you, since it is essentially the entire game. To that point, I feel like the strategic battles are often what draws people to these games anyway.

If they make a XIII-2, I would definitely be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom