• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indrew said:
Yeah, that sounds way too long if true. From reading this thread I thought it was around 3-5 hours when you unlock paradigms and the crystarium.

Picked up the game this morning and can't wait to pop it in after work!

As many people talk about linearity I don't think it needs spoiler tags: you unlcok Crystalium and Paradigms by 2h30min, Upgrades unlock at 6hrs mark. The game is linear for the first 25hrs, then it opens. Imo the first 25hs are awesome, lots of story and background info on characters. It all "leads" to the world opening, then you understand the motivations of each character and how they ended up together.

Tell me if I should spoiler it.

Salaadin

Do all copies of this come with that FFXIV registration code?

I just ordered this online. Itll be my first and only FF game other than 11 so Im pretty excited.

DMeisterJ

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
WTF? I don't think she's even kissed anybody in the game, unless that's coming up in future chapters. Don't tell me! No spoilers!

'Whore' was just a derogatory name to call her. I didn't want to use 'bitch' twice.

Jrmint

Odious Tea said:
I haven't kept up with any news or impressions. Also, that's bullshit. If I don't like it by hour 3, I'm done.
I don't get the opinions at all that this starts out slow. The first 2-3 hours I thought were awesome and really explained the story and backdrop well, and also really tied you into the characters for the most part as well. The only ones who's motivation I don't quite understand at this point are Vanille and Sazh. But I am sure that will be revealed.

I just got to the part where the crystarium opens up and I'm sure it is just going to get better from there. Also that crystallized lake where you end up at is freaking gorgeous.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
:lol OK, mr angry man...

Most people aren't going to play a game for 25 hours if they aren't enjoying it just to see if it picks up. I know my brother wouldn't play past an hour if he wasn't enjoying the game.

Salaadin said:

I just ordered this online. Itll be my first and only FF game other than 11 so Im pretty excited.

All copies come with the code but that doesn't guarantee you the beta. It just offers you a possibility it sounds like.

Salaadin

VGChampion said:
All copies come with the code but that doesn't guarantee you the beta. It just offers you a possibility it sounds like.

Thank you sir.
Im down with just having an extra chance. Ill take all the chances I can get :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Salaadin said:

PS3 version only, North American and PAL.

Jrmint

I registered mine and got my code, but like a dumb ass did not write it down.. I assumed there would be some place I could access it again since FFXIV is so far off.

Does anyone know if I can get it back anywhere?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
theignoramus said:
Someone tell me the Afro-man isnt Barrett next gen.

Other than the fact that they're both black guys, what gives you the impression that they're in any way similar?

theignoramus said:
Someone tell me the Afro-man isnt Barrett next gen.

No. Other than the two characters being deeply passionate with what they believe in, the two aren't really alike. I don't really expect every other text/speech from Sazh to consist of "@#$#@%$#%##$%".

MGrant

Castor Krieg said:
As many people talk about linearity I don't think it needs spoiler tags: you unlcok Crystalium and Paradigms by 2h30min, Upgrades unlock at 6hrs mark. The game is linear for the first 25hrs, then it opens. Imo the first 25hs are awesome, lots of story and background info on characters. It all "leads" to the world opening, then you understand the motivations of each character and how they ended up together.

Tell me if I should spoiler it.

I'm still buying the game, of course, but this right here probably means I'm going to play through it a grand total of one time. Games that take too long to open up feel like they are bogged down by excessive tutorial to me. In this case, a 25-hour one.

Even Final Fantasy VI was essentially an exercise in learning how all the mechanics worked until the floating continent, and at 10 hours or so, that might have been too long for me now, as I struggle to get past the first 6 or 7 hours of the game without espers, exploration, or stat growth.

Tell me there's at least a lot of satisfying stat growth and character customization before that point in XIII?

thetrin said:
Other than the fact that they're both black guys, what gives you the impression that they're in any way similar?
They are both black characters in a square enix game. reasonable cause for doubts, i should think.:lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
theignoramus said:
They are both black characters in a square enix game. reasonable cause for doubts, i should think.:lol

Doubt of what? I don't even know what you're talking about now.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
took me just under 3 hours and the story is in full swing, battles are fast, customization is open, some characters have begun to grow on me, etc.

Durante

Skel said:
I don't get the opinions at all that this starts out slow. The first 2-3 hours I thought were awesome and really explained the story and backdrop well, and also really tied you into the characters for the most part as well. The only ones who's motivation I don't quite understand at this point are Vanille and Sazh. But I am sure that will be revealed.
I agree, that in terms of story the beginning is very quick. In terms of gameplay it does take 2 1/2 hours or so to ramp up, but I found that useful to get accustomed to the quick decision making and targeting the system requires. (Even at the very beginning you already have an AoE attack, which means you have to hit the right enemy at the right time to make optimal use of it)

Skel said:
Also that crystallized lake where you end up at is freaking gorgeous.
If you think that is "freaking gorgeous" (and I agree!) then you'll run out of superlatives soon ;)

Rektash

Ok, day 2 now begins for me. I started playing yesterday and ended with my clock on 11h played. Let's see how far I can make it today.

thetrin

jon bones said:
took me just under 3 hours and the story is in full swing, battles are fast, customization is open, some characters have begun to grow on me, etc.

the game only gets better. The battle system just gets better and better. It's truly one of the best in FF history.

Empty

Finally back from uni with my copy. Day off tomorrow as well, so its FF-palooza for me. Saw loads of people in the store picking up the game as well, bunch of collectors editions too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DMeisterJ said:
Lightning = Whiny bitch. STFU whore. Freaking hate her already.

I love Snow though.

Game really opens up once you get to use the Crystanium and Paradigms. <3
Lightning is an annoyance in the beginning.

I was always excited for FF13 but I tried my best to keep the information I saw and read minimal to be more surprised. I did read the Game Informer review, which barely said anything.

I really love the way they've freshened up the series and tied everything together so far. Overall its more fast paced and more action-ized than I expected and while its not mind blowing yet (3 hours in) it is very fun, the story is good and its very beautiful.

I really like Lightning. I played from 1 to 4 am and am booting it up now. Good job SE.

thetrin

Cloudy said:
Am I the only one bothered by the lack of color in the party menu screen? It is really fucking with me :lol

The cool animations when you go to status screens makes up for it, imo. Also, you'll get plenty of color when you shop.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Kagari said:
I also got the confirmation.

I got the confirmation of registration, but not the promo code for the 'secret in-game item'. D:

Castor Krieg said:
She later hugs Hope every cutscene, so I wouldn't call that an improvement. Sazh is a blast tho. Great job at making him a mature guy.

Yeah, really liking Sazh as the mature guy.

Zoe

FFObsessed said:
Just realised you can rotate the camera during battles.

I iz slow.

I didn't even realize it until somebody mentioned it on here after I had already beaten the game.

Cloudy

Banned
thetrin said:
The cool animations when you go to status screens makes up for it, imo. Also, you'll get plenty of color when you shop.

It's not nitpicking or anything. The abrupt shift from vibrant colors to no color is messing with me :lol

Minamu

SERIOUSLY! :lol How am I supposed to beat
Shiva
? I've died twice o_O Haven't been stuck on a story boss since the Red Dragon at the end of disc 1 in FF7 :lol (okay, and that annoying Seymour in X). What am I doing wrong? The doom spell kills me! WTF.

Edit: God damn Vanille. It's not fair to have such a sexy voice & be a jailbait at the same time :lol Never considered Australian accents sexy before wtf.

thetrin said:
Taunt taunt taunt taunt taunt
Thanks, 3rd time's a charm, later.

george_us

The linearity makes perfect sense here imo. I'd lose my damn mind if I had to juggle all of the typical FF stuff with the amazingly fast battle system and all that. This is also feeling like the most logical FF to date with the way the characters all meet up. It seems like all of the characters are tagging along because they absolutely have to, even Vanille (you can definitely tell she's hiding something). Nothing about the way the characters met up feel contrived at all. Plus I'm strangely digging all of the characters. Vanille strange mannerisms and accent help enrich her positive demeanor and Snow's blind optimism actually makes sense here. Even Hope's whiny ass actually has a legitimate reason to be whiny.

thetrin

Better chance of getting good loot. You don't always GET better loot. It's just an increased chance of getting better loot.

Minamu said:
SERIOUSLY! :lol How am I supposed to beat
Shiva
? I've died twice o_O Haven't been stuck on a story boss since the Red Dragon at the end of disc 1 in FF7 :lol (okay, and that annoying Seymour in X). What am I doing wrong? The doom spell kills me! WTF.

Taunt taunt taunt taunt taunt

Einbroch said:
So, what exactly does the star rating at the end of battle do?

Increased spoils? Increased CP? Anything?

I would like to know too, I get 5 stars almost every battle and I never get spoils. Also, what are the battle points for?

thetrin

PumpkinPie said:
I would like to know too, I get 5 stars almost every battle and I never get spoils. Also, what are the battle points for?
As i said before, the stars merely increase your chances of getting good loot. It doesn't increase your chance of getting loot.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom