• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Mr. Hyde said:
I haven't purchased the game yet and I didn't even know about the promo code you get for registering FFXIII. I wonder if that automatically gets you into the PS3 beta. On a website I was reading, it says it will invalidate your old application.
It invalidates your previous application for the PC version if you signed up for that.

Mako_Drug

Ordered the Collector's PS3 version (AU$109 not too bad) last week and I am constantly moving between crazy hype mode (for the game) and preemptive disappointment (for the collectors crap).

It should show up sometime in the next 5 days but I need it noooow. :(

Mr. Hyde

InfiniteNine said:
It invalidates your previous application for the PC version if you signed up for that.

I thought so. I wonder if it's instant acceptance into the ps3 beta once it starts, or just higher priority.

Well this is really fucking annoying - apparently I've got the dreaded Royal Mail red slip waiting for me at home. Why on earth would they do that? I don't choose the cheapest delivery for fun! So I'm pretty much guaranteed not to play this until Sat/Sun.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm a few hours or so into the game at the moment. Loving the battle system, but the story - probably because I'm still early into the game - isn't grabbing me at all.

Edit: Oh, and the only character I'm not a fan of is Hope. What a little fucking bitch.

got mine :D
picked up the official guide from GAME too, wow it's impressive, really well made.
Snagged White Knight Chronicles too.

FFXIII was selling like crazy in both places, in GAME everyone in the queue had either FFXIII or FFXIII w/ Official Guide. All PS3 versions i could see.

squall211

Oli said:
Uuuugh, Amazon is shipping via UPS so I probably won't get mine until this evening... ;__;

I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm glad. I don't leave work until 4:30 anyway, so the longer it's "out for delivery", the less time I'll be thinking OMG I COULD BE HOME PLAYING FFXIII BUT IM AT WORK FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

Oli

squall211 said:
I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm glad. I don't leave work until 4:30 anyway, so the longer it's "out for delivery", the less time I'll be thinking OMG I COULD BE HOME PLAYING FFXIII BUT IM AT WORK FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

True. But I have nothing to do today, so yeah. It's gonna be a loooong day. D:

desu

Tek said:
I got two free avatar items

1 - MALE PSICOM SOLDIER UNIFORM

psicomm.png

Not really caring about Avatar Items but it looks pretty cool.

Oli

InfiniteNine said:
Mine should arrive around 2PM, but it sounds like UPS gets there much later for you. x:

Generally 4-5pm. That's when my 360 came, and that was also a long day. Hopefully their schedule changed or something, but I doubt it.

Spiegel

I need help (6 hours in):

Odin is kicking my ass BADLY. Any suggestions?

By the way, the game is amazing. I think it could end being one of my favorite FF if it doesn't fall apart in the latter chapters. I even like Vanille.

And Lightning is awesome.
I clapped when she punched Snow in the face

jorgeton

Picked up my copy last night after work and spent two glorious hours with it. It feels like Final Fantasy the beat-em-up (in a good way). Battles are fast and fun, and there are minimal loading times. It's kind of like Uncharted or God of War, in the way that the experience is pretty seamless. Loving all the characters (except Snow... he needs to zip it for a second.)

All the crappy reviews fall away as you are playing it. And some of these reviews be exaggerating. Sure, it's linear, but it still rewards exploration with well placed (non randomly generated, FFXII...) chests. And, small battle system spoiler,
I got the paradigm and leveling up system 2 hours in. Reviews made it sound like you don't get it until the 10th hour of the game.

I could go on and on about how great and understated the music is and how gorgeous the menus are (love Vanille's headshot), but I won't. Suffice to say, I am impressed and I cannot wait to spend some more face time with it tonight... post-work exhaustion be damned!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oli said:
Generally 4-5pm. That's when my 360 came, and that was also a long day. Hopefully their schedule changed or something, but I doubt it.
It's only 9AM and I'm bugging out already, haha. I wish I had something to occupy my time.

Order fing delayed due to "Adverse Weather Conditions" in Cedar Rapids. What the hell does that mean? It's raining outside.

Barely.

So they shipped it back to Des Moines, over two hours away, versus 20 minutes away.

WHAT THE HELL.

Lyonaz

Spiegel said:

By the way, the game is amazing. I think it could end being one of my favorite FF if it doesn't fall apart in the latter chapters. I even like Vanille.

Use a Medic and a Ravager and shift to Ravager and Ravager accordingly.

I've had a consider and I'm going to see if I can pick it up from HMV after work and return the one from GAME and in future see if I can get things sent straight to work. Doh!

george_us

Damn the music has been something else in this game so far. I just got to the
Pulse fal'Cie
lair and the music is incredible so far. Weird that people don't think this is a FF game, as this is the most "FF" game I've played since the PS1 days imho. At least so far.

Aesthet1c

I'm also about 2 hours in, and the game feels like FFX with a better battle system. So far, any thing reviews have said to try and sway me where lost in the first hour of gameplay. I was worried hearing that you only control the party leader and that your health regens after every fight, but in the end, all of that stuff works really well. I can only imagine how crazy the battle system is going to get late in the game.

The graphics on this game are nothing short of jaw dropping, and I'm glad Square still has the balls to do CG cut scenes.

I'm really loving the game. The linear aspect doesn't bother me, and the shops are integrated in a unique fashion.

Don't listen to the hate, this game is awesome.

Loving this so far! Fuck the reviews!

Even characters and story seem to be much better than expected!

Oh FF, how I have missed you! :)

And yeah, image quality of the PS3 version is amazing. Very cinematic game.

wow lots of good impressions in here - i think the backlash for FFXIII came before the western release
looking forward to starting english version in a minute:D

Looks like my soundtrack is finally coming at least it says "Order in Progress".

I hope the game supports multiple save files, one of my roommates wants to playthrough and I definitely dont want to share saves.

Jeels

I haven't gotten past the demo portion from last year yet, with Snow and Team NORA. In the first thirty minutes, all you can really say is "damn this game is pretty" and "holy shit this battle system's trippy". I can't wait to get home and play more, just have to get through..three lectures. =/

Tamanon

Banned
I guess my only complaint thus far would be to make the health bar more noticeable. It tends to blend in with all the other gauges and such, so sometimes I don't notice Lightning's health(kinda important) until it's almost too late.:lol

hetchi said:
EDIT: Actually, the character that looked like a zero was an "O" and the one that looked like an "O" was a zero!

:lol

I hate it when they do that. They need to use the 0 with a line through it for zeroes.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
ok I'm trying to resist to buy a PS3... my defenses are almost down... oh god..

:((((((

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People spent all this time bitching about ground textures...I'm now glad they can see that the game is incredibly gorgeous. :)

Spiegel

Lyonaz said:
Use a Medic and a Ravager and shift to Ravager and Ravager accordingly.

I'll try that. Thanks

Tamanon said:
I guess my only complaint thus far would be to make the health bar more noticeable. It tends to blend in with all the other gauges and such, so sometimes I don't notice Lightning's health(kinda important) until it's almost too late.:lol

So true

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tamanon said:

IIRC in the Japanese version the whole screen would pulse red when close to death.

ElurI said:
What does that even mean, wait I don't want to know.

Just got my copy at wal-mart last night played for about an hour, but I had to work this morning. Is there something to when you attack that can interrupt incoming attacks? I can see this battle system becoming a monster when both you and the enemy have crazy attacks going on.

I don't know but its sitting right next to that dude in the picture.... :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Should have both the PS3 and 360 versions once I get home tonight.
Assuming Amazon/UPS don't screw me over!

Will likely keep the PS3 version, and give the 360 game to my brother as part of his birthday present.

desu

Spiegel said:

If you really really struggle, use a Power Smoke (or whatever it is called in the NA version, the pre fight buff item).

As for the fight, try to see through his pattern, he has some really violent phases and some cool down phases where barely does anything.

Use Med/Rav (in my case he locked on Hope so I had to heal him most of the time). Once he cooles down switch to double Rav. If you need instant healing, try to use potions.

Lyonaz

TTP said:
IIRC in the Japanese version the whole screen would pulse red when close to death.

Yeah the screen pulses red when a character is near death, not just the leader. But it is a bit difficult to notice your health bar when it's the same yellow as your TP bar when you're losing health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom